Type keyword(s) to search

Season 4 Discussion

• Start Topic

This season feels extra fake and forced.  Not one couple is real and the situations are so scripted.  There is no way that the Chantal/Pedro storyline makes a lick of sense.  Same for Jorge and Anfisa.  He's been shipping her to exotic vacays for how long, but, never suspected that she's a gold digger.  That is so lame! Matt and Alla, snore.   The sideshow with the Black lady who found a wedding tent in a bridal store . . .What?? Why??  Azan and Nicole are little more than an excuse for introducing a travelogue, except that it may also be a way of apologizing for Dani and Mo.  I'm stupid for watching it.  I'm not making any excuses.

• Love 10
43 minutes ago, KateHearts said:

"This is my question. I seem to remember Nicole proudly stating "she lives on her own" in the first episode. I think it's also been established that she's a barista at a local Starbucks. Assuming no college degree? She's never mentioned as currently pursuing more education as well either?"

(... is anyone having difficulty with the quote function?)

My guess is that Nicole is living the dream of receiving public assistance, family help to care frequently for her daughter, with the hope always just around the corner of a far-away Prince to take her away from it all.

Not so sure she's living the public assistance "dream". I live in DC and the first house I bought was in a relatively "bad" neighborhood (it's now in one of the "hottest" areas of DC). Maybe Bradenton is different and Section 8 can take you a long way. But generally you're either living in public housing or in a bad neighborhood. She doesn't seem to be in either. It's harder to qualify for food stamps and other assistance than you think and it's not that much. I know this cause one of my best friends (former neighbor) is now stuck raising two of her grandchildren and struggles every day - despite my and her son's (none are baby daddy) monetary assistance (plus public) and lucky enough that she owns her house (willed from her grandmother - but RE taxes are high based on it now being assessed at $700K - even though it's basically falling apart).

• Love 4

My use of the word "dream" was used extremely sarcastically, obviously.  With a child and a low-paying job, it's possible Nicole receives food stamps and some assistance.  I recall her home looking like a very modest frame house; it's possible she's renting from a family member. At any rate, with a child at stake, I would be willing to bet her family is providing a lot of backup for her.

• Love 3

Since Matt doesn't have any sisters, couldn't it be that this wedding is the FIRST one they've been expected to pay for? Of course they had personal travel and hotel expenses for the the Destination Cancun Wedding, but they probably didn't have to foot the bill for the actual wedding/reception, etc. 

• Love 1

I almost want to believe that N & L are TLC's lowest attempt at insulting their viewers, surely this can NOT be real?

If you look up "s- eating grin" and "Nigerian scams", HIS is THE picture you will see, no written definition needed.

Also,  I wish I would fund a man coming to this country who has NO plans or reasonable skills to find good-paying work. Children, please, take a seat, take several!  

I also want to know if River's hair got its own contract.

Should have  paid it to LEAVE.

Chia pet catastrophe.

I can't even with HilaryBanks2.0, she is annoying and I'm surprised she has any friends.

I'm feeling really witchy tonight, my apologies.

• Love 5
25 minutes ago, KateHearts said:

My use of the word "dream" was used extremely sarcastically, obviously.  With a child and a low-paying job, it's possible Nicole receives food stamps and some assistance.  I recall her home looking like a very modest frame house; it's possible she's renting from a family member. At any rate, with a child at stake, I would be willing to bet her family is providing a lot of backup for her.

She very well could be receiving Food Stamps, TANF assistance since she IS working, Section 8, and Medicaid. She wouldn't be receiving a huge amount of Food Stamps since it's based on income and there are only 2 of them, but every little bit would help. I was thinking that she might have used her Earned Income Credit and Child Tax Credit on her tax refund to get her to Morocco and get Azan here. Back when we was 'po we would sometimes get as much as $6,000 back on a tax refund. Of course, these days that is what we OWE. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, magemaud said:

Damn Azan for dashing Nicole's career dream of being promoted to Head Barista at Bradenton Starbucks! snagging a "trophy husband" that she tries to trap by getting pregnant with a child her family will provide for and raise while she chases another husband.

Hope it's ok if I modified your post a little!!!

I might actually be able to muster some respect for her if she had the goal of becoming head barista.

• Love 3
On 10/22/2016 at 10:25 PM, DangerousMinds said:

He would be a complete fool to give her full access to his credit cards and bank  account.

They live in California so he won't have a choice. Community property, community debt. She could go get her own credit cards, using his credit rating, and he'd be fully responsible for paying them or both of their credit ratings would be ruined. Happened to my ex with his first spouse.

And if we legalize marijuana in two weeks, Jorge is going to have a lot of competition in his business.

Edited by NoSpam
  • Love 1

YES! I was wondering about that. I thought she was a cheerleader (or coach) and a nursing student. Just what does she have that she needs a prenup? An estra stethoscope? The only thing I can see is a potential share in her parents' estate and that can be fixed by a few lines in their will.

Prenups aren't just for people who have money. They don't just protect what you have now, but also govern what you will have in the future. They can be for people who want to protect what little they have (ie: grandma's china they want to keep in the family) or people who have significant earning potential. If Chantel ever graduates, she could make a good living as a nurse. On the other hand, if Pedro turns out to be shiftless and unemployable, when the two of them divorce, he could ask for a settlement and/or support. And if she's been supporting him the whole time, he just might get it.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Virtually Me said:
9 hours ago, TheVoicesToldMeTo said:

Azan - I think he genuinely cares for Nicole, and if he had his druthers he'd move her to Morocco. A little off topic - but it's a really bad idea for any very Caucasian woman (red/blonde hair) to walk around in the streets of a Muslim country with their hair uncovered and their shoulders bare. The men will spit on and throw rocks at you. I can't imagine the producers (who paid for this trip) didn't give her a primer on how to behave while there. No way she couldn't have known the mosque was off limits.

Yeah, this is not true. Maybe it's true in very small villages or very off the track places but I've lived, traveled, went to school in, and worked in Muslim countries and I've never observed or heard of this happening to anyone I know. Now, I am South Asian (grew up in the SF Bay), but mostly worked for multi-nationals with European and American employees-- again, no one I know has experienced anything like that. Obviously I've seen extreme stuff on the news. My point being, Nicole should learn to fit herself within the cultural norms of places she's visiting but Morocco is a country that attracts a lot of tourists and has had a heavy European presence for centuries,  no one in a major city in Morocco is running around throwing rocks at women, cat-calling maybe, that's annoying but different from spitting and throwing rocks.

• Love 6

This season is so fakety fake. Nicole and Azan standing in the street having a conversation about what the adhan means (fun fact: it's also called "azan") when we heard it, like, 4 episodes ago, not to mention she would have heard it 5 times a day every day in the MONTH she's been there; that thirsty saleslady in the low-rent jewelry shop ("Welcome to Beverly Hills!")  where the rings have tags on them...nope.

Plus, I feel as if almost every scene seemed staged for max conflict when the situation could have been defused if anyone involved had common sense or was, y'know, nice.

Alla: I want a beach wedding.

Matt's mother: I'm sorry, honey, but it's a big damn country and that would be cost-prohibitive. How's about we drive to Indianapolis and do it on one of the many beautiful, serene lakes around the city? Oh, and Matt should be having this conversation with you but apparently I raised a mewlng, cow-eyed pussyboy, so, my bad.

River: YOU BETRAYED US ALL. MY LIFE IS OVER.

Chantal: Um, my life, actually, Kid 'n' Suck. I'm sorry I lied, that was cowardly. But you and mom and dad could suck it up and be happy for me like human beings,

Azan: This is my religion.

Nicole: You're right. I'm in your country and should respect its culture, mores and religion. Please give me some tips about how to dress and behave because I fear I'm making a revolting Ugly American spectacle of myself, and you deserve better.

Jorge: You're only with me so I can buy you shit?

Anfi--never mind. That went exactly right. "Yes. And it will never stop. You wouldn't have looked twice at me if I were ugly and fat. We made a deal. I promised to look bangin' until it all falls down like an avalanche, and you promised to pay for everything I want. I'm keeping up my end; you bait-and-switched me. Cut me loose now and I'll find a sugar daddy within the remaining window who understands the rules. Bam! Thanks for the delicious looking food, beeteedubs."

P.S. I live in Indy, and would rather get married on a pristine lake setting than on a dirty beach in my hometown of L.A.

• Love 16
5 hours ago, Landlord said:

I thought women were allowed in the Mosque, as long as they stayed in the back. At least that is what a converted Muslim woman I used to know had told me, years back. is that true?

Depends on the mosque. Sometimes wherever (no segregation), sometimes in the back, and sometimes in a different room altogether. 

• Love 1

It was really hard to take Anfisa seriously while she was drinking that koolaid drink

That's mors, a Russian juice drink.

The problem with a lake/state park in Kentucky is that Matt and Alla's 90 days are clearly taking place in the dead of winter. They can't wait for spring. If they drove down to Pensacola or wherever, it could potentially be warm enough for a beach wedding (though not bikini weather). But in the Cincinnati area, no one is going to want to have an outdoor wedding in the snow.

Of course they could go to City Hall and have the party later, but that's too logical for these people.

• Love 5

Okay, Chantal wanting a prenup is the first smart thing she has done.   I strongly believe everyone should have a prenup.   You have stuff you want to protect, even if it is for the future.   It does NOT mean you are thinking divorce before you even getting married, anymore than life insurance means you intend to die.  It's just commons sense protection.   Let's hope they go to a real lawyer this time and get a real pre nup not like Mark last season.

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

Okay, Chantal wanting a prenup is the first smart thing she has done.   I strongly believe everyone should have a prenup.   You have stuff you want to protect, even if it is for the future.   It does NOT mean you are thinking divorce before you even getting married, anymore than life insurance means you intend to die.  It's just commons sense protection.   Let's hope they go to a real lawyer this time and get a real pre nup not like Mark last season.

I think it was Mother Chantal pushing for the pre-nup.   I don't know why.  A son-in-law of no determined education level who apparently lacks all desire or motivation to learn English is a good prospect.

• Love 6

The best part of the show was when the Touch Of Elegance guy asked Alla her opinion on something to do with the wedding and Alla gestured to Matt's mom and said, "You should ask her!" I was going to fast-forward past Alla and Matt because their story makes me depressed for her but Alla does get the zingers in. 

• Love 22
14 hours ago, Jennifersdc said:

This is my question. I seem to remember Nicole proudly stating "she lives on her own" in the first episode. I think it's also been established that she's a barista at a local Starbucks. Assuming no college degree? She's never mentioned as currently pursuing more education as well either? 

She's also a single mother courtesy of her last "Internet Love of Her Life" who apparently dumped her shortly after she went to Texas to "live happily ever after". 

So who's paying her rent, child care and funded her five-week trip to Morocco? Starbucks doesn't cover that. Her parents? They must be out of their minds. Are they fondly anticipating another child to support?No wonder she acts as entitled as she does. She's got the attitude but not the goods (intellectually, physically or financially) so to speak.

Speaking of attitude with not quite the goods (way more than Nicole though) Anfisa still makes me howl (still needs to avoid the profile shots). Does George (since they apparently don't know how Jorge is pronounced) think that by constantly addressing her as "my love" he's going to make that happen? IMO he's a mysonigystic schlub that gets everything that's coming to him.

She may be receiving some TANF (welfare) funds and perhaps food stamps. There is a requirement to be looking for work or working at least part-time in order to continue receiving the money. The program in some areas will also help pay for higher education, so that would be a potential option for her as well.

13 hours ago, Jennifersdc said:

Not so sure she's living the public assistance "dream". I live in DC and the first house I bought was in a relatively "bad" neighborhood (it's now in one of the "hottest" areas of DC). Maybe Bradenton is different and Section 8 can take you a long way. But generally you're either living in public housing or in a bad neighborhood. She doesn't seem to be in either. It's harder to qualify for food stamps and other assistance than you think and it's not that much. I know this cause one of my best friends (former neighbor) is now stuck raising two of her grandchildren and struggles every day - despite my and her son's (none are baby daddy) monetary assistance (plus public) and lucky enough that she owns her house (willed from her grandmother - but RE taxes are high based on it now being assessed at $700K - even though it's basically falling apart).

Agreed. While Nicole may be receiving some assistance, it's generally a very paltry amount. TANF is also capped at 5 years; after that she can no longer receive it.

13 hours ago, mamadrama said:

She very well could be receiving Food Stamps, TANF assistance since she IS working, Section 8, and Medicaid. She wouldn't be receiving a huge amount of Food Stamps since it's based on income and there are only 2 of them, but every little bit would help. I was thinking that she might have used her Earned Income Credit and Child Tax Credit on her tax refund to get her to Morocco and get Azan here. Back when we was 'po we would sometimes get as much as $6,000 back on a tax refund. Of course, these days that is what we OWE. 

I'm also assuming that TLC had a hand in funding her trip to Morocco.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, gonecrackers said:

In general, a 4th wedding not getting much in the way of enthusiasm is pretty understandable. 

a 4th wedding also does not necessitate the entire family attending.  So, Matt, Alla and Max could just go to Florida and have a nice beach wedding and then a nice vacation.  

• Love 8

I think Jorge would have to be the one to request a credit card in his wife's name, but he IS that stupid, so. I'm not sure exactly how it works with bank accounts. I don't know that the law requires one spouse to allow access, unless they specifically give permission. I could be wrong, and again, he is that stupid so he probably will.

I have a question, what is wrong with River's hair?  Do people have issues because it's not relaxed?  It makes me think of Chris Rock's joke about, when black people relax their hair, white people are relaxed?  I don't see anything wrong with his hair, but then I am not a fan of relaxers or weaves.

Why should Alla have the wedding of her dreams if she's not paying for it?  Why should anybody have anything of their dreams, if they're not paying for it (or if they don't have parents to pay for it), Matt may be a jerk, but he's not Alla's father and since Alla never seemed to mention wanting to get married on a beach, oh well.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 8
8 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

I have a question, what is wrong with River's hair?

My only issue with River's hair is that it's attached to River's head, and River is a very trying young man.  If there was ever a time his sister needed his support, it was right now.  Instead it was about him and her unforgivable sin of not trusting his loose lips to sink ships. 

• Love 11
11 hours ago, evilmindatwork said:

Depends on the mosque. Sometimes wherever (no segregation), sometimes in the back, and sometimes in a different room altogether. 

Ah, thank you!

8 hours ago, happy hobo said:

How bout No-Way ?

That works, too. 

25 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

I have a question, what is wrong with River's hair?  Do people have issues because it's not relaxed?  It makes me think of Chris Rock's joke about, when black people relax their hair, white people are relaxed?  I don't see anything wrong with his hair, but then I am not a fan of relaxers or weaves.

Why should Alla have the wedding of her dreams if she's not paying for it?  Why should anybody have anything of their dreams, if they're not paying for it (or if they don't have parents to pay for it), Matt may be a jerk, but he's not Alla's father and since Alla never seemed to mention wanting to get married on a beach, oh well.

Thank you! I thought I might be the only one with this perspective. 

And I don't have a problem with River's hair - it shows some personality.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, LocalGovt said:

I grew up in a Czech Catholic close knit family. We always referred to our parents as Mommy and Daddy, even as adults.  Not in a creepy way....when we would talk to them directly, it was "Mom" and "Dad", but for some reason, when referring "to" them in talks with sibs, it was always "Mommy" and "Daddy".   We're all pretty sane.

My African-American in-laws all refer to their parents as mommy and daddy. My son stopped calling me and my husband mommy and daddy when he was a young teen, but my husband will still say "I'm taking Mommy to the mall" or whatever. Different strokes.  

15 hours ago, Dobian said:

$2,000 for a wedding reception for fifty people ($4,000 for a hundred) is actually very cheap for a wedding these days.  Weddings usually run up into the tens of thousands.

Weddings are out of control these days. When I see people spending the equivalent of a down payment on a house or a significant dent in student loans I wonder for their sanity. You can have a perfectly lovely wedding for a tiny fraction of what's spent on these big lavish affairs. I'd rather get married at city hall and take the family out to a nice dinner than drop a few thousand dollars at that tacky little "Touch of Elegance" place. But that's just me. 

11 hours ago, Silly Angel said:

This season is so fakety fake. Nicole and Azan standing in the street having a conversation about what the adhan means (fun fact: it's also called "azan") when we heard it, like, 4 episodes ago, not to mention she would have heard it 5 times a day every day in the MONTH she's been there; that thirsty saleslady in the low-rent jewelry shop ("Welcome to Beverly Hills!")  where the rings have tags on them...nope.

Plus, I feel as if almost every scene seemed staged for max conflict when the situation could have been defused if anyone involved had common sense or was, y'know, nice.

Alla: I want a beach wedding.

Matt's mother: I'm sorry, honey, but it's a big damn country and that would be cost-prohibitive. How's about we drive to Indianapolis and do it on one of the many beautiful, serene lakes around the city? Oh, and Matt should be having this conversation with you but apparently I raised a mewlng, cow-eyed pussyboy, so, my bad.

River: YOU BETRAYED US ALL. MY LIFE IS OVER.

Chantal: Um, my life, actually, Kid 'n' Suck. I'm sorry I lied, that was cowardly. But you and mom and dad could suck it up and be happy for me like human beings,

Azan: This is my religion.

Nicole: You're right. I'm in your country and should respect its culture, mores and religion. Please give me some tips about how to dress and behave because I fear I'm making a revolting Ugly American spectacle of myself, and you deserve better.

Jorge: You're only with me so I can buy you shit?

Anfi--never mind. That went exactly right. "Yes. And it will never stop. You wouldn't have looked twice at me if I were ugly and fat. We made a deal. I promised to look bangin' until it all falls down like an avalanche, and you promised to pay for everything I want. I'm keeping up my end; you bait-and-switched me. Cut me loose now and I'll find a sugar daddy within the remaining window who understands the rules. Bam! Thanks for the delicious looking food, beeteedubs."

P.S. I live in Indy, and would rather get married on a pristine lake setting than on a dirty beach in my hometown of L.A.

@Silly Angel, you are apparently my doppelgänger and you are my hero. This is spot on and made me laugh very much! 

• Love 7
11 hours ago, millennium said:

I think it was Mother Chantal pushing for the pre-nup.   I don't know why.  A son-in-law of no determined education level who apparently lacks all desire or motivation to learn English is a good prospect.

Prenup for what? She has nothing and he has nothing....

• Love 3

River is very handsome. His hair looks like normal teen/young adult male hair to me - a little edgy, a little fun, a little messy. He might as well have fun with it now in college (I assume he is college age) before he has to put on a suit and go to work. 

• Love 9

As a plus-sized woman, I'm not down for fat-shaming, but Nicole IS lazy. And a whiner. Unless my ass won't fit in the seat (hello amusement parks), my will power gets me through anything. It's called an "I can" attitude. Nicole needs a giant plate full of this for her next meal!

• Love 17
3 hours ago, Neurochick said:

what is wrong with River's hair? 

What is right with it ??

The 90's called and want it back. House Party flashbacks.

I have a teenage son. He keeps himself well groomed, which includes his hair.

River's hair looks like a rat's nest. He needs to either style it or cut it . Notice, I did not say, relax it.

692a3ea6858189e2b9b699874dbd81c5.jpg

• Love 11

There are plenty of gold diggers out there, but I usually expect a lot more finesse than Anfisa's straight up lines. She's honest about who and what she is, but that doesn't give her a pass to be a total ball breaker. 

I see a cold, dead fish in her. That look behind her dead eyes makes me wonder what happened to that little girl to make her the way she is.  I'm thinking some sort of porn or prostitution. She doesn't know how to love anyone or anything, and for all her obsession with her own looks, doesn't seem to love herself. How else can she have afforded all this modification?  To demand these things, she's obviously used to being something like a high priced escort to get the money to buy this stuff.  What's love got to do with it? It's all business for Anfisa.

• Love 19

If you're getting married, you want to throw a party, and you want me to attend- I'm there, no judgment.  I love Love.

I've gone to someone's third wedding before and I'd go to someone's fourth or fifth.  FWIW, we always give Nespresso machines.

• Love 9
12 minutes ago, Drogo said:

If you're getting married, you want to throw a party, and you want me to attend- I'm there, no judgment.  I love Love.

I've gone to someone's third wedding before and I'd go to someone's fourth or fifth.  FWIW, we always give Nespresso machines.

Did you give the third wedidng person a Nespresso machine three times? Because that would be hilarious.

And I don't give a shit about anyone's hair, ever, with one exception: no bugs. Noooooooo buuuuuugs!

• Love 7
7 minutes ago, littlemommy said:

Did you give the third wedidng person a Nespresso machine three times? Because that would be hilarious.

The wife always takes the Nespresso machine in the divorce.  Always. 

• Love 22

I think Alla is still living according to her 'dream' of life in the U.S.  Her dream of coming to America for the opportunities that she and Max would have.  Her dream of getting married on a beach which is expensive when one does not live within easy driving distance.  I also think that she may not realize how much money Matt actually has control over.  It almost seems that he might be on an 'allowance' as it was up to his mom to explain to Alla that the family couldn't afford a destination wedding.  

I understand that some people around the world may have a vision of what life is like in the U.S. and so are will to make a contract with someone in order to come to the states.  Through this show it's very interesting to watch their interactions and reactions once they get here.  Alla may never have realized what the realities may have been before she came.

• Love 2
On 10/24/2016 at 7:08 AM, DangerousMinds said:

I'm sure there are many mixed relationship everywhere. I don't necessarily see weight as a factor.

But - Middle Eastern men, and some others, have learned that overweight women in the western world often get sidelined in the marriage department. (Not saying they should - just that they do.) Hot chicks get first pick of the guys. So, these men who are looking for a ticket to the U.S. have learned to seek out lonely, overweight, often older American and UK women and shower them with love and affection - and get their own ticket to the USA just like that.

And sadly, some of these women have learned to seek out these men just to get some kind of love and affection in their lives, even if it's fake and temporary. Apparently Mo wasn't Dani's first, and Azan won't be Nicole's last.

On 10/24/2016 at 8:06 AM, millennium said:

Is there an agency that sets up obese American women with Muslim men overseas? 

Yes, There are several. That's where Dani and Nicole both met theirs. Do a Google search on something called "Tunisian Love Rats dot com"

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Neurochick said:

Maybe I'm getting old, but, it's unkempt and ratty looking, imho.  It would look like Azan's if he relaxed it, and, that's not a great look either.  He's a handsome, young guy.  Show some style other than slacker style.  My 2 cents.

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, okerry said:

Yes, There are several. That's where Dani and Nicole both met theirs. Do a Google search on something called "Tunisian Love Rats dot com"

"Tunisian Love Rats dot com" is not a dating site LOL.  It's a site where western women who believe they were burned by a MENA man go to vent and seek support.

• Love 3

A friend of mine recently went through the K1 visa process and got married to a man from France. He had to sign a bunch of paperwork taking responsibility for him. He must support him in the US, even if the marriage doesn't work out. He had to prove that he has the financial means to do this before the visa was approved. Once the marriage license is signed, you can end it, but it's going to cost you. The K1 process already cost him 30K.  I have to wonder how the people on the show that can barely pay the rent come up with that kind of cash! I mean, Nicole's barista job (if she even has that) doesn't pay her that much in a year. TLC must be footing the bill for everything. There is no other way that Nicole, Dani, Chantel etc. could qualify.

• Love 4
18 hours ago, Silly Angel said:

If Anfisa doesn't marry Jorge, she's supposed to go back to Russia. She cannot just stay here and find another victim to marry. It doesn't work that way. Or it isn't supposed to.

Although I personally know of one case where the woman did exactly that - refused to marry the guy who sponsored her and turned around and married another. She got a deportation order but ignored it. She's still here, years later, married to bachelor #2.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Virtually Me said:

"Tunisian Love Rats dot com" is not a dating site LOL.  It's a site where western women who believe they were burned by a MENA man go to vent and seek support.

Yes, I know - it's where all that is explained!

• Love 1