Type keyword(s) to search

The Other Duggars: The Lost Girls and Amy

Message added by Scarlett45

If your post is not PRIMARILY about the Duggars, it will be removed. Please stick to the topic or take it to Small Talk, thank you.

• Start Topic

I bought myself a couple of dresses over the summer, as they tend to be nicer when it's hot. I'm not really a dress/skirts person ususally but when I do wear then, I do feel different, more girlie or ladylike. Well, that is until I got a pair of just above the knee short thingies to wear under for modesty and comfort. It felt like I was wearing shorts with a tunic or some such thing, the "dress feeling" completely disappeared.

Small wonder those wee girls seem rather unladylike, wearing those stupid leggins under their skirts, they dont know how to sit properly in one or act like a Lady. It's really counterproductive. Let them wear jeans and trousers ffs, they won't be any less of a woman in the long run. It IS possible to be womanly and wear jeans at the same time. Teach them actual skills, like cooking, cleaning, housekeeping and whatnot, that would at least achieve something.

• Love 15

Well, I don't see why little girls should have to be ladylike in the first place. I'm actually quite happy that the Duggars are not forcing those girls to restrain their movements to fulfil their antiquated gender roles like they did with the eldest girls. I think they pushed the "ladylike" thing hard on the eldest four; there was a time when Jill just wouldn't shut up about it. Ladies do this, young ladies shouldn't do that. I'm hoping the leggings under skirts thing is a realisation that kids should be allowed to be kids, run around and play, and sit however they damn well please. There's no way they'll be allowed to wear actual trousers while under their parents thumb so this is the next best thing IMO.

• Love 21
5 hours ago, ginger90 said:

0310D3D4-747E-4A6B-A8B1-2BE36C41CC0B.jpeg

Heh, my first thought was that JB was out on a date with Dwain and the kids were the chaperones. Then I recognized that Dwain wasn't there, just his sons (well, I'm assuming those are Swanson boys).

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Vaysh said:

Well, I don't see why little girls should have to be ladylike in the first place. I'm actually quite happy that the Duggars are not forcing those girls to restrain their movements to fulfil their antiquated gender roles like they did with the eldest girls...I'm hoping the leggings under skirts thing is a realisation that kids should be allowed to be kids, run around and play, and sit however they damn well please. 

I think it's less that they are allowing their young daughters to play like kids than Michelle & Jim Bob can no longer be bothered to parent them. Jana, Jill, Jessa, and Jinger all had the "advantage" of being parented solely by Michelle & Jim Bob and poor Joy had the ladylike restrictions forced on her once the Duggars got on TLC and people started commenting about her being a tomboy. Johanna was starting to be indoctrinated but Joshgate happened and when the show came back the younger Duggar kids were not included. If Jim Bob and Michelle manage to finagle their way back on the show using the Lost Girls' singing career as a springboard, I'm pretty sure the free play will be shut down and those girls will get a boot camp education on how to behave like a lady.

ETA: Why do the little girls have to wear another shirt under their t-shirts? I understand the thinking behind having them wear tank tops under lightweight or semi-low cut dresses and blouses; God forbid anyone sees their collarbones. But the t-shirts cover everything up to the neck, so the second shirt isn't needed for their misplaced modesty.

Edited by Nysha
  • Love 11
16 hours ago, Temperance said:

Josie's at the age when some her teeth are missing and growing in. She needs more of her adult teeth to grow in before she gets braces. Her teeth will look better when they grow in.

Good to know.  She will look a lot better with nicer teeth.

• Love 1
On 9/16/2018 at 11:05 PM, Celia Rubenstein said:

i admit Josie looks pretty raggedy right now, but I have the feeling she is going to age into being a very pretty girl.

That would be good to see, just like I hope Truely on SW grows up to be a beauty.  Some beautiful little kids don't grow up looking as nice as they used to look, and it's also true odd-looking kids can look ever so much better as adults.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

Therapist? Any type of therapist I can think of needs a degree - respiratory therapist, occupational therapist, physical therapist or mental health therapist, etc.

What's a RT therapist?

I was an RT for 31 years: Radiologic Technologist. 1 year of prerequisites, followed by a 27 month program, including full time BOTH summers.

I bet Amy thinks RT means Recreation Therapist.  And she adds therapist to clarify.  Kind of like JillRod says she takes baby Janessa to a neurologist doctor!

• Love 14
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

Therapist? Any type of therapist I can think of needs a degree - respiratory therapist, occupational therapist, physical therapist or mental health therapist, etc.

What's a RT therapist?

In real life, RT is a respiratory therapist or radiology technician  but that requires training, qualifications and experience, so we know that’s not  what Amy is doing.  I think it probably stands for ‘recreational therapist’ or some other made up title for a job that requires no training, qualifications or experience.  At least she’s got an actual job.

• Love 12
3 hours ago, doodlebug said:

In real life, RT is a respiratory therapist or radiology technician  but that requires training, qualifications and experience, so we know that’s not  what Amy is doing.  I think it probably stands for ‘recreational therapist’ or some other made up title for a job that requires no training, qualifications or experience.  At least she’s got an actual job.

I thought that Amy's basic "clarifications" made it sound like a lot of what other people guessed would be "presiding over activities/free time", like handing out cards/potholder weaving frames/organizing rounds of musical chairs, etc.

• Love 2

RT’s were recreation therapists when I worked in rehab. They had no actual therapeutic training, and were often enthusiastic high school students or young adults without degrees, working under the supervision of a trained director of therapeutic recreation. Props to her for having a job though!

”just a devoted wife!”  

• Love 14

I used to do a library program at our local nursing home, and we had to work with the activity directors. I'm thinking this is similar, though she's not working in a nursing home.

They went through 4 (hired one twice) in the two years I did the program. I don't think any of them had a background in therapy, though they were all long-term employees of the nursing home. Weirdly enough, the only person in the room with a background in therapy was the librarian I worked with. She had a bachelor's in occupational therapy. 

I'd say if Amy is a people person with something resembling organizational skills and had a creative bent, she might really enjoy that work and do well at it. 

• Love 7

I was the Activities Director at a nursing home for one summer while the actual Activities Director was on vacation.  I actually loved the job, but it was a lot of hard work.  There were specific programs to run, such as arts and crafts, current events discussions, music and singing time, game time with board games and card games, and hosting visiting speakers or performers.  I had to help transport a lot of wheelchairs and walkers to said activities, and took time to visit with family members and friends as well as the residents.  It is certainly not just a "make time" job if you do it correctly.  It is also a job that is greatly appreciated by the residents and other employees.  The Activities Director is an important person in a nursing home/assisted living situation, and not everyone can do it well.  Good for Amy if this is something that she really loves.  I'm sure it is appreciated.

• Love 24
1 hour ago, CalicoKitty said:

I was the Activities Director at a nursing home for one summer while the actual Activities Director was on vacation.  I actually loved the job, but it was a lot of hard work.  There were specific programs to run, such as arts and crafts, current events discussions, music and singing time, game time with board games and card games, and hosting visiting speakers or performers.  I had to help transport a lot of wheelchairs and walkers to said activities, and took time to visit with family members and friends as well as the residents.  It is certainly not just a "make time" job if you do it correctly.  It is also a job that is greatly appreciated by the residents and other employees.  The Activities Director is an important person in a nursing home/assisted living situation, and not everyone can do it well.  Good for Amy if this is something that she really loves.  I'm sure it is appreciated.

Amy doesn't work in a nursing home.  She works in a residential facility for girls with psychiatric, behavioral and addiction problems.  There are only 28 kids there (ages 6-17) and they do go to school most of the day.  At this institution, there are registered nurses, psychiatric nurses, psychiatrists and social workers who do the serious work with these girls. 

In no way is Amy a "therapist" or a "mentor".   Amy is a liar and an egotist. At least she's in a place where she can receive professional help with her personality.

Edited by Mollie
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

I agree it is hard work and something the residents really appreciate. 

2 hours ago, Mollie said:

Amy doesn't work in a nursing home.  She works in a residential facility for girls with psychiatric, behavioral and addiction problems.  There are only 28 kids there (ages 6-17) and they do go to school most of the day.  At this institution, there are registered nurses, psychiatric nurses, psychiatrists and social workers who do the serious work with these girls. 

In no way is Amy a "therapist" or a "mentor".   Amy is a liar and an egotist. At least she's in a place where she can receive professional help with her personality.

Hmm this is interesting. I'm really curious now about what she is doing because I agree that she is likely heavily exaggerating her duties and responsibilities. 

• Love 5

Working with troubled kids in a closed facility is not an easy undertaking. Amy seems to still be enthusiastic about it and I'm willing to give her the benefit of doubt that she's more than just a glorified babysitter. 

• Love 22
7 hours ago, Nysha said:

Working with troubled kids in a closed facility is not an easy undertaking. Amy seems to still be enthusiastic about it and I'm willing to give her the benefit of doubt that she's more than just a glorified babysitter. 

Sorry, but Amy isn't qualified for one of the professional jobs at the facility.  Amy is 32-years-old, has never held a full-time job in her life and has no college.  What kind of job do you think someone is going to offer her there?  Plus, there are only 28 girls, so they each do get adequate time with the registered nurses, psychiatrists and social workers.  Amy can pretend all she wants to, but she will never have a professional job there without a college degree.  

• Love 7

It's an actual job that benefits other people, specifically at-risk children and teens. While she's not providing one-on-one mental health therapy, she is still providing a necessary service. My experience with RTC staff is limited to the one my oldest son was in for 2 years. There the staff met weekly to discuss goals and activities for the clients. 

• Love 20

Whatever her actual job, it appears she has some kind of work ethic in that she seems to have shown up enough and performed well enough that she still has the job.  Yes, I know, we don't know if she is on probation, has been written up for being late, inappropriate, etc.  I am going to give her a point for still working.

• Love 15

The behavioral health agencies in my neck of the woods are very careful with titles for job positions. The title of counselor is usually for someone at the bachelor's level of education, but is sometimes used for entry level positions. Therapist is only used when matching a degree.

Mental health therapists and clinicians have master's degrees and licenses. It's disrespectful, IMO, to call yourself a therapist, of any kind, if you haven't put in the time, effort and money to earn the title.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 8

The title of her position may have been changed to Recreational Therapist for grant/funding/billing purposes. While you can get a certificate or degree for that position, a quick Google search shows that it is used as a synonym for Activities Director. I had a job as a client counselor for an agency that worked with developmentally delayed adults. The difference between me and the PSR workers was 18 credit hours of Psychology & Sociology classes and $4/hour more in pay because the agency could bill Medicaid extra for my "expertise". If Amy is using the title of her actual job, then she's not being disrespectful. 

• Love 8
20 minutes ago, Nysha said:

The title of her position may have been changed to Recreational Therapist for grant/funding/billing purposes. While you can get a certificate or degree for that position, a quick Google search shows that it is used as a synonym for Activities Director. I had a job as a client counselor for an agency that worked with developmentally delayed adults. The difference between me and the PSR workers was 18 credit hours of Psychology & Sociology classes and $4/hour more in pay because the agency could bill Medicaid extra for my "expertise". If Amy is using the title of her actual job, then she's not being disrespectful. 

A quick Google search shows a bachelor's degree is needed to be a recreational therapist and they make about $40,000+. It's my experience that grants and funding are intentionally specific so their money is well spent and if they require a recreational therapist they want a credentialed one. As far as billing, in my profession and programs like where Amy works insurance companies foot the bill and a position like Amy's would be considered part of the overhead the same way a cook or custodian for the facility would be.

Came back to add that the Department of Mental Health and the Department of Developmental Services have different insurance criteria.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 4
12 hours ago, kokapetl said:

Perhaps someone could politely ask for clarification from Amy? 

That's assuming Amy actually knows.  The facility might assign "prestige and/or vanity titles" in order to entice job candidates through the doors for their entry level positions.  There's nothing that even guarantees her position as RT is FT and not PT.

• Love 2