Type keyword(s) to search

The Other Duggars: The Lost Girls and Amy

Message added by Scarlett45

If your post is not PRIMARILY about the Duggars, it will be removed. Please stick to the topic or take it to Small Talk, thank you.

• Start Topic

Josie made me laugh in the episode about riding horses for JoHannah`s birthday.  She and whatever sister is next to her in age where discussing that thing you wear around your neck.

Josie said "A bandanna!"

The other girl looked amazed and said "Who told you that word?"

Josie smiled, kind of smugly, for a 5 year old.  "I knowed it!"

It was kind of funny and sad at the same time.  For all that might be delayed about Josie, she is kind of quick.

• Love 3

I don't want to see and hear what they did to Josiah at indoctrination camp; I think they really did a number on him. :/

I still remember how upset he was during the televised announcement that MEchelle was pregnant with either Josie or Jubilee, and how horribly Boob seemed to deal with him. I'm so hoping he is the one who somehow eventually leaves the cult and goes on to live his life on his terms.  

• Love 6

I know some colleges offer a trip abroad and the courses are part of that trip. So the mission trip could be part of something like that. I could see Crown doing that with a mission trip.

True! My girls are on a week long mission trip with Habitat for Humanity. They will earn 4 credits at the end of the trip. They can also go overseas if they want to.

• Love 2

I didn't see that episode. Do you mind recapping what happened between Josiah & JB?

I Googled it to try to find a recap. The source here is https://www.tumblr.com/search/jimbob%20duggar:

In the episode where they announced Michelle's pregnancy with Jubilee Josiah runs away and looks upset when he comes back. Do you know what happened? It's toward the end of episode 10 season 8 on Netflix. Thanks!

I’ve gotten a couple people asking me about this - sorry I’m just now getting to it.

No, I don’t have any real insight into what happened.

I think he was either upset because he remembered how close his mother had come to dying with her last pregnancy, or what his little sister went through for the first months of her life - he seemed to bond immediately to Josie and they still seem closer than most of the older boys and the little kids.  And unlike a lot of the others, I don’t think Josiah has the disposition to just say “it’s in God’s hands” and leave it at that like the older girls seem able to.  He seems like a worrier and a thinker.

What bothered me that it looked like JimBob dragged him back forcefully into the group, hard enough to hurt him.  I’ve seen other incidents where JimBob treated Josiah in particular with nastiness and disrespect; enough so that this was around the time I stopped being able to write JimBob off as a largely harmless father, especially in conjunction with hearing about the temper problems he “used to” have.

And yeah, it reinforced the idea that all these kids - not just the girls - have to smile and parrot the family party line, and never display doubts or unhappiness, or you’ll be made sorry.

• Love 3

My google is coming up week. I know links to every frame of the announcement were posted on television pity, but it looks like their archive is down?

EDIT: I can't find screencaps, but I did find video of the announcement. I can screen cap it for anyone interested. I'm not surprised they tried to minimize/suppress the video.

Edited by JoanArc
  • Love 3

JoanArc, screen caps would be great...or do you have a link to the video? Josiah is my favorite - I worry about that kid.  Run Siah, run!

Edited by direpup
  • Love 3

If JB did something to that boy off camera, or was visibly hurting him and the camera people knew it was happening and did nothing, that is just appalling. No matter how feral some of the kids may act, this isn't a wildlife documentary where you're not supposed to intervene with the animals. If serious shit is going on, anyone who sees it should be trying to stop it/reporting it.

• Love 6

JoanArc, screen caps would be great...or do you have a link to the video? Josiah is my favorite - I worry about that kid.  Run Siah, run!

Josiah has been my favorite too - has been for a long time. There's a real light in his eyes that no other kid in this family has. I worry about him too and hope he'll be able to live the kind of life HE wants.

• Love 5

I like Josiah, but I adore James.

His wit & sarcasm are delightful from this family. He might make a good stand up comic. I just hope he keeps his scinism (?) until he's able to be on his own. If so, I think he's one that could break away from the compound.

• Love 4

I remember that episode very well where they announced M's pregnancy with Jubilee. Josiah was the only person with enough brains to be scared for M with Another pregnancy after they almost lost both delivering Josie. He showed real fear and was instantly punished by JB twisting his arm or whatever he did.

I felt sick when i saw that and i knew then, its not all they crack it up to be. That stupid idiotic thing known as a mother-- her son is scared for her, does she comfort him? No. JB twists his arm and does she sit him down to talk about justified fears? No! She ignores her son and smiles stupidly for the masses to congratulate her pregnancy! Anyone who hasn't seen it google the duggars pregnancy announcement with jubliee or #20. Im sure they dont want it seen much.

If there's ever one kid that could throw them under the bus and get his own 20 million dollar interview its Josiah... After this he was sent away and appeared at a Branson Mo book signing with his head practically shaved. They Tomato staked him during that book signing( put him in between two parents, you arent going anywhere)

• Love 5

Thank you, Literata, JoanArc & Chai, for enlightening me re; the incident with Josiah and JB. The whole thing is disturbing to me. I cannot imagine having that kind of reaction to my child who expresses concern and disappointment, and who obviously comes from a good place. And then sends him off to military mind camp to straighten him out and flatten his personality; I hope Josiah stays away from home and is able to carve out a good life for himself.

I want to strangle JB.

Edited by msblossom
  • Love 4

Weren't a lot of things about this episode taken down from the sites after people were commenting how appalling Boob's behavior was? I think the scene in question was deleted on the reruns too, which seems to happens a lot with their episodes. I'm not sure, but on the original it was shown Boob pulling Josiah away out of crowd after his outburst with some of the girls calling after them. (They were probably shown to the Prayer Closet for their calling out.) On the reruns, this scene was mysteriously missing but Josiah still looked visibly upset when he was shown with the rest of the family at the end.

That episode was definitely worse but I still can't forget the paintball episode when the producer called Boob out for knocking Josiah out of the way. "Oh you saw that" was Boob's reply with that dopey yuk yukking grin on his face.

• Love 1

I will say that they do tend to send the majority of their children to Journey to the Heart and Alert, so I can't honestly say that it's a punishment. As far as I know, John David is the only one who might not have gone, and even he might have, I simply don't know one way or the other.

• Love 1

Weren't a lot of things about this episode taken down from the sites after people were commenting how appalling Boob's behavior was? I think the scene in question was deleted on the reruns too, which seems to happens a lot with their episodes. I'm not sure, but on the original it was shown Boob pulling Josiah away out of crowd after his outburst with some of the girls calling after them. (They were probably shown to the Prayer Closet for their calling out.) On the reruns, this scene was mysteriously missing but Josiah still looked visibly upset when he was shown with the rest of the family at the end.

That episode was definitely worse but I still can't forget the paintball episode when the producer called Boob out for knocking Josiah out of the way. "Oh you saw that" was Boob's reply with that dopey yuk yukking grin on his face.

Oh, I don't remember Boob shoving Josiah during paintball, but it certainly sounds like him. After his "Oh, you saw that?" reply, if I'd been the producer I'd have said "Geez, Boob, what are you? 13 years old or something?" I honestly wonder what's going to be next with this king-sized yokel. Is he actually going to take a candy bar away from Josie?

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 1

I just did some checking, and I think the Josiah incident might have happened during the announcement of No. 19, not No. 20. The announcement of the Jubilee pregnancy is below, and that's not it. 

I think the Josiah incident happened during the last episode of season 5. It was one of those Q & A episodes, and at the end of the episode they filmed JB and Michelle telling the family she was pregnant with #20.

I have no doubt that they removed JB twisting Josiah's arm video portion on line. If you google" Free jinger Josiah arm twist" the page with all the discussions the time it happened is still there. One poster provides a photo bucket of the photos of the stills from that video. The most incriminating are indeed gone, but you can read about what people who did see it thought.

The announcement I remember was made at the house at the end of that season. It is shown as season 5, episode 33 under Wiki's list of Duggar episodes and is called "Duggars: All You Wanted to Know". In the recap they mention the episode being a Q and A, and Michelle revealing her 20th pregnancy. It is confusing why they would have had two televised announcements.

it was the #20 announcement, on the show. Josiah suddenly walks of camera, disappears, reappears holding with a issue, being held by Jim Bob, then he movie behind Michelle, clearly wiping his eyes. I do have the video, if I knew were to post it I would. I had to muck around youtube to get it. Josiah the howler in the black polo. This whole scene was edited to basically hide what happened.

http://imgur.com/OP6imBH,pVOpgRG,uimFoBk,5SmoFYj,N7xmKwu,jQQ70Sz,nWXAkWZ,JTKKhba,Aj7Soju,EdBDoJ9,YIYmY9z,8Xd6jcw,xoOApBm,TKDC58E,bcDeWJ0,mqWusyO,Aekmqi6,uA0YbPq,SIzfJ4I,ifZORQF,fNUSyzj,GCGeSL7,iQcmeZ8,z7PnxE2,HV94uTv,hcr6KJB,svfOBkN

• Love 2

After all these years, Grandma is still doing 70-90 loads of laundry a week. Mullet should get off her ass and at least do laundry two to three days a week, it is awful that 70plus year old grandma is still stuck in the laundry room.

• Love 6

That's way too much laundry per person.  Unless they never reuse a towel, maybe, but then how often do they shower?  The could use paper towels to dry hands and feet.

Grandma could be out of there in a hot second if she wanted to.  She has independent means, and enjoys her daughter and Amy and I'm sure has plenty of friends and people she did business with in years past to have lunch with.  She doesn't need another man to cook and clean for if that is her choice, and  plenty of grandsons who can do a half-ass job on little home repairs.  I like Grandma.

• Love 6

Josiah walked over to Ben, gave him a hug and said welcome to the family.

I love Josiah. Glad to see last night that he's back from Alert Academy, but I wonder what he's doing now. And did anyone else notice he looks... different? I hate to speculate, but he had kind of a steroid look, with a wider forehead and just larger features in general. And bad, bad skin. 

• Love 1

70 loads of laundry a week is absurd especially when you consider the Duggars have commercial sized washers that probably carry four or five standard loads per cycle. My guess is they're too lazy to rehang clean clothes at the end of the day, so everything just goes into the laundry.

• Love 3

I love Josiah. Glad to see last night that he's back from Alert Academy, but I wonder what he's doing now. And did anyone else notice he looks... different? I hate to speculate, but he had kind of a steroid look, with a wider forehead and just larger features in general. And bad, bad skin. 

I think he's just at the age when Duggar males hit 'the wall'. Puberty hasn't been kind to any of them.

• Love 1

Yes, someone (I saw them linked from TWoP) did a series of screen shots and JB definitely pulled on Josiah enough to hurt his arm and upset him. Then posters noted that the repeats showed less of the scene. I didn't see the original so I couldn't swear to it but lots of posters said they saw the rough-up.

I like Josiah a lot, was very glad to see him back. I too like Grandma and think (btw she's 74 now) that she took over pretty much the entire laundry duty after her husband passed away. Grandma probably didn't realize how much the girls did in terms of cleaning, cooking and laundry and how little Michelle did until she moved in there with her husband as he was dying of cancer. I'm sure she does laundry to give the girls a break and doesn't mind, as well as feeling like she's contributing to the household. 

• Love 1

Maybe it's just me, but.....does one person normal generate 3.5 loads of laundry per week???  (17 kids + 3 adults = 70:20 = 3.5)

I've questioned this figure a lot too. Especially since we know [A] they have what look like commercial-size washers which should cut down on number of loads this is a household where there seems to be a critical shortage of bed linen and [C] it doesn't seem as though most family members shower or bathe on a daily basis. I don't think they change their clothes four times a day a la Downton Abbey days, so where IS all this dirty laundry coming from?

Edited - because it isn't "Downtown" Abbey - LOL.

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 2

Regarding laundry, I'll bet half of it is towels, not just for bathing, but for toweling all that long hair.  Can you imagine if all the Duggar girls wash their hair every day or every other day.  Just that takes a ton of bath towels.  

Of course, now that I think about it, none of them look like they wash their hair every day.  

• Love 3

I remember when they still claimed to make their own laundry detergent, then boxes of Tide started appearing above the washers.

I'm made their style of detergent before - it doesn't work a $1 box of Sun detergent if more economical and far superior.

I just realized maybe Grandma says it's 80 loads just so she can get some peace. Maybe she only washed like 30 loads a week, but tells Michelle it's almost 3 times that. Since Michelle will instinctively flee an environment where she has to work, Granada is free of her presence, and looks like a Martyr.

Edited by JoanArc
  • Love 11

Regarding laundry, I'll bet half of it is towels, not just for bathing, but for toweling all that long hair.  Can you imagine if all the Duggar girls wash their hair every day or every other day.  Just that takes a ton of bath towels.  

Of course, now that I think about it, none of them look like they wash their hair every day.  

I just posted in one of these threads that all the Duggars always looks dirty to me.

• Love 5

I just realized maybe Grandma says it's 80 loads just so she can get some peace. Maybe she only washed like 30 loads a week, but tells Michelle it's almost 3 times that. Since Michelle will instinctively flee an environment where she has to work, Granada is free of her presence, and looks like a Martyr.

If this is true then... Go Grandma!!

• Love 6
I do remember Mullet saying that the girls sleep in skirts and polos.

Wtf -- really? Why? So as not to "defraud" their brothers? That is quite possibly the most f-ed-up Duggar "rule" I've heard to date.

I can't fathom the level of bodily shame that exists within that house. I hope Jill and Jessa are walking around their houses naked.

Go Grandma!!

I love Grandma. But I've noticed in the last few episodes that Amy needs to give her the gifts of a professional haircut and dye job, and a bra fitting.

Wtf -- really? Why? So as not to "defraud" their brothers? That is quite possibly the most f-ed-up Duggar "rule" I've heard to date.

I can't fathom the level of bodily shame that exists within that house. I hope Jill and Jessa are walking around their houses naked.

They also are not allowed to walk around the house in their pjs and must be fully dressed if they leave their rooms. I shit you not. It's like a really fancy orphanage at Chez Duggar.

• Love 4

They also are not allowed to walk around the house in their pjs and must be fully dressed if they leave their rooms. I shit you not. It's like a really fancy orphanage at Chez Duggar.

Between tv cameras and an ever present slew of guests a-fellowshippin', I can't really hate on the Duggars for having this rule.

Confession - both of my children dislike PJs so they sleep in sweats/t-shirts or leggings and shirts. My daughter is kind of girly, so she often insists on a skirt. And I will put her to bed thinking, geez, if anyone from the Duggar board saw her, they'd be sure to think I was copying...

I'm betting it started because the older girls were overworked and thought if they put the kids in clothes to sleep the night before, that's one less chore in the morning. It seems a very teenagery thing to do.

My granddaughter is not an "early riser" but has to get up to go to school. (Even though my daughter in law is a teacher she won't home school). Granddaughter takes a shower at night and gets into clean clothes and sleeps in them and this cuts down on misery in the morning. Even with an early bedtime she doesn't really wake up til mid morning.

But is this a rule for everyone or just the girls? 

The boys seem to sleep in jeans and polos/t's. Like I said, I can't blame them. There's a lot of strangers about, cameras, cell phones, no privacy, constant noise, weirdly supervised unsupervision, etc. It's actually a pretty good policy. Otherwise we'd have seen 'Jessa in Lingere!' instagram posts by some creep Jim Bob had over for home church.  What I CAN hate on is the fact that that house isn't really set up to be a home at all, no privacy, no calm, no order, just lots of random people and noise, all the time. Maybe I'm biased, but I've been in houses of big families, lots of kids, that weren't so chaotic.

• Love 2