Type keyword(s) to search

The Other Duggars: The Lost Girls and Amy

Message added by Scarlett45

If your post is not PRIMARILY about the Duggars, it will be removed. Please stick to the topic or take it to Small Talk, thank you.

• Start Topic

The Duggars would be lucky to get an Amish education especially for the basics. I can tell you that their grammar/writing program, which I use, is difficult and complete. Most college educated people don't have grammar backgrounds that in-depth. And their math program stops around advanced pre-algebra/beginning basic Algebra but it's solid, complete up to that point and still far more than what the Duggars are learning. 

• Love 3

DO all of the grown kids have GED's? I have a vague memory of a couple of them celebrating passing their exams, but I can't remember which ones. I assume Jill and Josh have them and John David if he's taking pilot lessons. I don't think Jessa would be "teacher" if she hadn't passed; Josiah seems clever enough and was studying accounting for a while, but does anyone know about the rest of them?

Can't JD court her? Not to be rude, but neither seems to be in a position to be terribly choosy.

But then Michelle would have to hunt for another teacher, because she sure as hell won't be doing it herself.

AFAIK, Josiah was the last Duggar to get his GED.  Joy is next, followed by Jer and Jed, who do seem a little brighter than your average howler to me.

I hope Joy doesn't have any issues getting her diploma.  I remember seeing her reading a book that was way below grade level a few years ago, but I am hoping she just grabbed the first book lying around so as not to delay filming.

But after Jer and Jed, those howlers are going to have a real struggle on their hands, IMO.  The older kids at least had some structured education, such as it was, before the cameras started rolling.  Now between filming and trips, and a totally checked-out head teacher (Michelle), I suspect there is precious little learning going on in TSOTDRT.

• Love 1

My son did the IB (not full diploma, but the humanities side of the coursework.) Most people in the world aren't up to that level of high school scholarship - those doing it around the world have been vetted by testing from elementary school on.

I will say that I've known Amish who went through their program that couldn't read or write and barely form a sentence in English to communicate (I can't say about their abilities in Pennsylvania Dutch/Amish German, but these were non-verbal people in general.). But my point isn't about the Amish per se, but about the legal point. Jim Bob would almost certainly win a legal challenge if anyone questioned Amara Query as teacher, so long as he's paid her, declared her on his taxes, and she's declared on her taxes. Religion trumps even the right to an education - that's what Wisconsin -vs-Yoder decided.

• Love 1

My son did the IB (not full diploma, but the humanities side of the coursework.) Most people in the world aren't up to that level of high school scholarship - those doing it around the world have been vetted by testing from elementary school on.

I will say that I've known Amish who went through their program that couldn't read or write and barely form a sentence in English to communicate (I can't say about their abilities in Pennsylvania Dutch/Amish German, but these were non-verbal people in general.). But my point isn't about the Amish per se, but about the legal point. Jim Bob would almost certainly win a legal challenge if anyone questioned Amara Query as teacher, so long as he's paid her, declared her on his taxes, and she's declared on her taxes. Religion trumps even the right to an education - that's what Wisconsin -vs-Yoder decided.

He wouldn't even need to pull a 'religion' card if someone were to push them on the Amara Query thing. Many, many homeschoolers have a least something done by an outside person. The VA laws read the same - must be the parents/legal guardian or a paid teacher  - but people use co-ops  all the time and almost never are those teachers paid. It's considered ok because the parent is still the teacher of record and the overseer. Michelle can always claim that. I, myself, used my father for AP Chemistry. I'm capable of teaching that but he has a PhD in Chemistry. Easy choice. I didn't pay him. We all agree that Michelle takes almost no responsibility for the children's education but proving that to the point that they could take action against them would be challenging even before JB claimed religious prosecution.

One thing that did just occur to me... Michelle has just a high school diploma, right? I don't know about Arkansas but the overseeing and reporting requirements for a homeschooler in VA who is being taught by a parent with just a high school diploma are more stringent than for parents with a college degree. I don't know if that's true in Arkansas. If so they might have more of an issue if the Amara Query thing was pressed. I don't know what the extra requirements are in VA because I have a college degree so I never looked into it.

Edited by 3girlsforus

FWIW, Jessa was nothing more than a grade checker and disciplinarian. She didn't teach those kids anything. 

I agree that the Duggars can get away with this by putting Mechelle's name on the legal documents filed with the state.

As far as diplomas go, the older ones down through Jill definitely got GEDs. After that, they have all "graduated" down to Josiah, but in what sense, no one knows for sure. For all we know, they had to do something regarding bible memorization in order to graduate from Duggar Academy (or whatever it says on their school computers). AFAIK, the GED is still a barometer of learning through 9th grade, as someone noted, likely because that's when students are allowed to drop out. If they're not taking the GED any longer, I hope to [fill in your deity here] that they can at least write an argumentative essay. Oh wait, that would require being able to argue and concede a different point of view. Never mind....

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 6

I think that the Duggars do, in some way, value education for their boys.  After all, Boob probably isn't as stupid as to think that TLC will be interested in giving Jackson a job or that anyone will give a damn about the Duggar name in 10 years time when the other boys need work to support their families.  

That said, 'education' for them means being able to read, write and use a calculator.  He doesn't see any of his kids going onto higher education so why bother with differential equations or the intricacies of human biology?  I am happy to be corrected but I don't think that Clown College would have high prerequisite standards so they only know the absolute basics needed.  

I have no issue with online homeschooling especially in rural areas where schools are too far away or where kids work better in a home-school environment and the parents decide that it is better for them.  But the Duggars just use online schooling to prove that they are meeting the standards to teach their kids, not out of any actual desire to educate them which annoys me.  That isn't how online homeschooling should be used!!!

• Love 2

Michelle worked as a substitute teacher in public school before Josh was born. Not long, I don't think, but she did it.

No kidding? Gee, in New York State you have to be a fully-qualified teacher to serve as a substitute. I sincerely hope Arkansas' standards have changed since then.

• Love 1

No kidding? Gee, in New York State you have to be a fully-qualified teacher to serve as a substitute. I sincerely hope Arkansas' standards have changed since then.

http://www.duggarfamilyblog.com/2010/02/real-estate-miracle.html

As newlyweds, Jim Bob worked full time at a grocery store, and Michelle played a few different roles, including substitute teacher and Girl Scout leader.

The Girl Scouts thing is even more shocking. They're very liberal these days! Quite positive too, compared to boy scouts. i think this was all pre-kids, so none of the Duggar girls went.

• Love 3

That is not true in my experience. In every school district in NY state I've worked in you only needed a Bachelor's degree. If substitutes had to be fully qualified teachers there would never be enough of them.

• Love 1

That is not true in my experience. In every school district in NY state I've worked in you only needed a Bachelor's degree. If substitutes had to be fully qualified teachers there would never be enough of them.

I am a substitute teacher in upstate NY.  If you are a certified NY state teacher and sub, then (in my district) you get paid a slightly higher per diem than if you just have a bachelor's degree.  I also taught in NJ there you only needed 60 college credits to be a sub, but you were paid less than a certified teacher who subbed.  Cannot speak for any other states requirements.

• Love 1

When I subbed in Texas, it was determined by the school district. The district I worked in required 30 college credit hours.  That was it.

Other districts required an Associates degree, and fewer still a Bachelors degree.

When I worked in Ohio as a sub, they required a sub license, but to get one you just sent in a college transcript and the state agency analyzed it.  I don't understand their process at all, because my college degree was a Math/Science teacher prep program- when I got my Ohio sub license back, it was for social studies teaching.  (And then the school districts used me almost exclusively for special ed.)

I guess it depends on where you live. When my son graduated from college 4 years ago, he applied to be a substitute in our county while looking for a job in his field (not teaching/education.) He was basically told thanks but no thanks as they had so many new graduates with teaching degrees to fill the substitute positions & then some. He also applied to the tutoring companies & was basically told the same thing.

• Love 1

Many school districts (including at least some in upstate NY) don't even require a BA. Substitute teaching requirements and pay scales are set by local school boards, not at the state levels.

Things must have changed. Four days after I graduated college with dual teaching certification [N-6 "regular" classroom and K-12 learning disabilities] I was subbing in a classroom for emotionally-handicapped kids. The sub coordinator told me they were desperate for qualified subs because in NY a sub had to be a fully-qualified teacher. You didn't need to have been employed as a teacher before your sub stint, but you had to be qualified for such. Of course this was the 70s and there was still a teacher glut at the time. Teachers and engineers...

Edited by Wellfleet

I think that the Duggars do, in some way, value education for their boys.  After all, Boob probably isn't as stupid as to think that TLC will be interested in giving Jackson a job or that anyone will give a damn about the Duggar name in 10 years time when the other boys need work to support their families.  

That said, 'education' for them means being able to read, write and use a calculator.  He doesn't see any of his kids going onto higher education so why bother with differential equations or the intricacies of human biology?  I am happy to be corrected but I don't think that Clown College would have high prerequisite standards so they only know the absolute basics needed.  

I have no issue with online homeschooling especially in rural areas where schools are too far away or where kids work better in a home-school environment and the parents decide that it is better for them.  But the Duggars just use online schooling to prove that they are meeting the standards to teach their kids, not out of any actual desire to educate them which annoys me.  That isn't how online homeschooling should be used!!!

I swear I remember Michelle in a talking head saying that home schooling was particularly great because with that many kids she couldn't imagine the transportation issues with school and all the extra curricular with multiple kids. Is that something I made up or did she really say it?

I had a fundy-type tell me once that my daughter was going to become a hooker because I let her prance around 1/2 naked. She was talking about the fact that I let her be a competitive gymnast who wears a leotard.

• Love 1
(edited)

(Sigh) oh yes. I remember the fight with my parents over wanting to take gymnastics. It wasn't fun. I was seven. I was finally allowed to do so in the after school program so long as I wore a long sleeved leotard and dark tights. Did I mention that I was seven.

Edited by GEML

oh GEML... I'm so sorry you had to deal with that. I smiled and nodded at her while silently thinking she would bust a vein if she knew that not only does she wear a leotard but unless she's in a competition, her sports bra SHOWS. They choose effective support over hidden straps. GASP!!

• Love 2

I had a fundy-type tell me once that my daughter was going to become a hooker because I let her prance around 1/2 naked. She was talking about the fact that I let her be a competitive gymnast who wears a leotard.

Hee hee. My girls were springboard divers; talk about half naked! Now I'm wondering, why am I paying for their college educations if they're already pre-destined to become "hookers?" ;-)

(And btw, who says "hookers" nowadays?)

• Love 3

I wasn't sure which thread to ask this question. There has been a lot of education discussion in this one so hopefully this is ok. Does anyone know if they are using the ATI homeschool curriculum or if they are using more Switched-on-Schoolhouse? At one point I heard they were using more SOS.

Most people would think the GED was easy their senior year of high school -but not years down the road from it when most of that has been forgotten.

Remember that the GED represents the bare minimum passing level of high school.  And most high schoolers pass above the bare minimum. Even low performing students get the occasional C+ or B-.

To an honors student, the GED would look like a joke. I'd guess advanced 7th graders would be able to pass it.

So if there are Duggars out there without GEDs even, SoTDRT is a huge failure.

• Love 2

What I can't understand is how they've chabged so fast from their first special - in the filming sequences from their first house they are often filmed in front of bookshelves filled with books, one of the girls (Jessa maybe?) makes reference to little house on the prairie when she sees the new build and Michelle has a whole wall of sequences daily activity to keep track of their daily schedule. Also they show the boys & girls in pjs & waiting for showers. So how did it all decline so rapidly on move to the new house??

• Love 1

I wasn't sure which thread to ask this question. There has been a lot of education discussion in this one so hopefully this is ok. Does anyone know if they are using the ATI homeschool curriculum or if they are using more Switched-on-Schoolhouse? At one point I heard they were using more SOS.

I don't know the answer to that. But I will say that since switching to a online format, the children's overall educational level seems to be suffering. I think the children down to Jessa are reasonably, if not spectacularly educated, and I believe that is because even with a poor curriculum (ATI) Michelle did genuinely put a lot of time and effort into homeschooling at that point, and focused attention trumps curriculum every time (are you listening politicians on both sides of the political aisle????)

But after the second set of twins (see: laundry room breakdown, likely beginning of blanket training, etc) and the beginning of computers, I think the quality of the SOTKT deteriorated badly, even though the quality of the curriculum might actually have improved. For one thing, there really were a LOT of children now. And Jim Bob was really beginning to focus on his political career, which left more burden on Michelle. We start to see the shift to the older children. But even they hadn't been taught using that computerized curriculum.

And that's why you see such a discrepancy today. My two cents, anyway.

I remember seeing a lot of books at the old place, too.  I guess Gothard added the no books flavor of kook-aid to the curriculum.  What a shame.  I really mean that.  I use the computer now for so many look-ups when I find a new term, almost daily.  Or I relocate regions on a map.  I do a lot, but I still love my books.  Of course I have e books now, but I love them.  Not much into fiction, and never was, but always have loved political books, historical books, books about animals, science related books, etc.  In fact, that's what I would call a blessing, unlike all the things that are blessings to the Duggars (mainly babies).

• Love 2
(edited)

I remember watching that episode where they visited a public school and one of the kids there asked Jill what her favourite books were. She could only come up with some Christian detective story (which, of course, was really written for boys) and then that horrid Before You Meet Prince Charming as her personal favourite. I do remember seeing several other books on a table in their house in the same episode, and I remember Jessa reading to the little girls in another (Life on the Pond I believe, another fundie book-series) so I don't think their home is entirely devoid of reading material.

That said, I do think that any book they own has been very carefully vetted and that novels are mainly seen as yet another way to indoctrinate the children into their parents' beliefs, not as a source of enjoyment and adventure. And while I haven't read the particular novels mentioned above I have read others with a "Christian message" and, like most literature where ideology is put before plot and characterisation, they were well and truly terrible. Bland, twee and without a shred of trust in their readers' ability to understand the message without being repeatedly hit over the head with it.

If Jessa mentioned Little House on the Prairie one can hope that they at least get to read that one. But I really don't think they are encouraged to read much (or at least nothing truly interesting) because we never hear them make any references to any book ever. No mentions of favourite novels, no name-dropping of beloved characters, no play-acting, no quoting. And that's quite sad to me because I remember how massively important reading was to me in childhood, not only for the reading experience itself but because so much of my playing was influenced by the stories and worlds I found in books.

Edited by Vaysh
  • Love 5

I don't know the answer to that. But I will say that since switching to a online format, the children's overall educational level seems to be suffering. I think the children down to Jessa are reasonably, if not spectacularly educated, and I believe that is because even with a poor curriculum (ATI) Michelle did genuinely put a lot of time and effort into homeschooling at that point, and focused attention trumps curriculum every time (are you listening politicians on both sides of the political aisle????)

But after the second set of twins (see: laundry room breakdown, likely beginning of blanket training, etc) and the beginning of computers, I think the quality of the SOTKT deteriorated badly, even though the quality of the curriculum might actually have improved. For one thing, there really were a LOT of children now. And Jim Bob was really beginning to focus on his political career, which left more burden on Michelle. We start to see the shift to the older children. But even they hadn't been taught using that computerized curriculum.

And that's why you see such a discrepancy today. My two cents, anyway.

This makes a lot of sense. It's definitely true that any curriculum can be good and effect with an involved teacher while the best curriculum is useless when there is no teacher or it just plain doesn't get done. Turning them all over to online programs may seem like it would make it easier, it really just makes it easier to do a bad job. Those online programs still need someone to oversee the work, look for problems with comprehension and retention, explain things they aren't getting etc. She would be much better off using programs that are built for multi-ages and dividing the kids up into age groups. That's usually what homeschooling families with a large number of children do. 

As much as I hate seeing the older kids pressed into marriage or household service, I really fear for the young ones who are basically running amok with precious little education or attention. 

I've read an enormous amount of Christian fiction. I loved when we visited a church with a library since that meant I had something new to read during the service. Some of it is actually really quite good, and I was introduced to feminism by a very conservative Christian writer who did a series of novels from women's viewpoints of traditional Bible stories. Once you've read the story of Abraham from Hagar's point of view, you can't unread it.

This is why any imagination is dangerous.

The Duggars have no fiction in their home that I can see. I look for it every episode. I look for telltale spine, publisher marks, quotations, name drops - ANYTHING. There's nothing there. With 19 children, some one would be a reader. So I can't help but think it's deliberate, and aggressive.

• Love 4

Scary as it may seem, fiction is actively discouraged by many uber-conservative people. I had no idea people were so afraid of fiction until I started homeschooling. Again, most homeschoolers are normal and read a lot, definitely more than typical public schools. But there is a small but disturbing contingent of people who worry about kids being exposed to anything make believe. There is constant worry about the bratty kid they might emulate or the dragon they might think is real. And of course anything magic must be from Satan. 

this paranoid goes beyond fantasy books like Lewis, Tolkien, and Rowlings (Harry Potter is considered absolutely evil) and into classic literature. Even Shakespeare, Dickens, Austin etc. So very sad.

As GEML says, It seems impossible to me that a family homeschooling 19 kids could not have piles of fiction books everywhere unless they have actively made sure they read nothing but the Bible and very carefully chosen textbooks. God made us wonderfully imaginative beings. Such a shame they reject that uniquely human gift.

• Love 6

I think Bible memorization is supposed to take the place of reading. Typical difficult busywork that you see in cults. They never explain why regulating entire books of the bible is good. I know you need a good knowledge of it in their world, but it's just so shallow. Mindless stuff like that prevents deeper thought. They may be able to recite the book of Philippians, but they can't form a new interpretation of the bible, or point out unbiblical things (Ie courtship).

• Love 4

Which reminds me, in that podcast I posted a few weeks back, Boob stated that he'd give $1000 to any of his spawn willing to memorize Proverbs. He said that Jer is taking him up on it. I also recall either Joe or Boob in a voice-over talking about bible memorization as something that earns awards of recognition at ALERT. So yeah, I definitely lean toward cult busywork. 

I also look for books. There are some in the girls' room, but they look more like little kids' picture books rather than even starter novels like Little House that Hannie and Jenni should be reading at their respective ages of almost 8 and 10. 

The other book that Jill mentioned was The Reverend Spy. I'm embarrassed that I remember that. :/

(Ahem) quite a few of us read massive quantities of books AND memorized reams of scripture. Some of us might even have received awards for it.....

• Love 3
(edited)

True story: my family has never been religious, and my grandmother had multiple affairs while my grandpa was away for work (3 of her children were not his). When she wanted time alone with her boyfriends on Saturday mornings, she would send my mother, aunt & uncles to the local Protestant church kids club, because it was free. My extremely competitive, but not at all religious aunt had quite a few awards for bible passage memorization. The poor protestant minister had no idea his club was helping facilitate adultery, and the winner of his contests was someone who didn't care about the source material and just wanted the prize.

Edited by kalamac
  • Love 12

Recently I was watching one of the very early specials, never having watched them when they were first shown. One thing that struck me was scenes of the kids playing outside. Not only were there bikes, scooters, and balls, but the children knew how to ride and were clearly used to it.

Do we ever see the younger kids these days, just playing outside like that? They were obviously out sledding/tormenting the cat at least once, and there was that wholesome family outing with Josie running around unsupervised, five feet from an unattended gun. But other than those two shining examples of good clean fun, Duggar-style, do they just get out and ride bikes or play tag? It seems like the kids are always all over the house, not doing anything in particular. Of course, it could be they like watching the filming, and do more outdoor play on non-filming days, but I wonder.

• Love 1

We saw Hannie and Jackson out riding bikes in that episode where Hannie fell off and cut her face open and had to go see a plastic surgeon instead of a regular one because girls need a pretty face.

I think I've seen pictures of them playing in some sort of jungle gym behind the house as well and they do have that basketball court. We mostly see them playing indoors but that could be for filming purposes, as you said JenCarroll; there's not much point in filming 19 kids and counting if half those kids are off running around outdoors. However, judging by their social media, a lot of their daily lives seem to be spent inside the house even when they're not filming. Wasn't it Michelle that blamed the weather/heat/cold for that? I guess it's understandable in a way, it's not as if there's is an awful lot to do on that flat piece of land they've got, especially if the kids are not allowed to play imagination games.

Someone has to teach children how to ride bikes, do organized games like basketball, or even freeze tag. The older children are understandably caught up in their own lives, and the celebrity lives and age have made Jim Bob and Michelle less accessible. Ironically, I think both new older brothers are well liked because they have come in an actually played with the younger ones - cats notwithstanding.

• Love 4

Memorization, both Biblical and otherwise, definitely has a place in education. But it definitely does not replace reading nor does it take the place of understanding what you are memorizing. I also don't have a problem with young church groups who give kids awards for memorizing unless the Bible memory turns into the Girls Scout cookies of the church group. The award is a nice feel good trinket but should never overshadow the purpose of being together as a group in the church or cause vicious competition and bragging amongst the participants which clearly is not in the spirit of the material being memorized.

• Love 2

Obviously, you've never participated in Bible quizzing, which is not unlike Jeopardy and competed for at not only national but sometimes international levels! :)

• Love 1
(edited)

Actually I was a Bible quizzer when I was younger. Of course in 5th grade you don't think a lot about the bigger picture about something like that. I wouldn't have my kids do it. I was thinking more a long the lines of Bible memory in Sunday School or Wednesday night kids groups. They get star charts or a piece of candy but the goal is to actually 'hide the Word in their hearts'. That I like. Awana kind of walks a line. Some groups are fun kids groups with Bible memory and some are Christian versions of Girls Scout cookie moms screaming at their kids to learn the most. 

Edited by 3girlsforus
  • Love 3

I would imagine they are going to remain that way. Even the leg-humpers don't seem to want to send their young girls to hitch their wagon to that oaf.

I don't blame them on that one. At the end of the day, whether or not they want Jana to leave due to child rearing and household help -- they know they CAN get her married off quick even in the next few years. Yes she's getting "old" by fundie standards so they can't wait forever, but they could probably wait another 2 yrs and do just "fine" by their standards. She is a classic beauty -- put that together with her mild/non-arrogant/non-sassy personality and the fact that she can single handedly run an entire household and comes from a "known" family and she is fundie gold; frankly they may just be waiting on her to say she's ready and she may not be saying that bc maybe she just can't see herself meeting someone who probably won't be all that great if Derick and Ben are any reflections on the Duggars' ability to attract sons in law, marrying in the next 6 months, and having a baby 9 months after that like her sisters; maybe she thinks -- I'll do that in a yr or two -- and she's "confident" waiting bc she isn't seeing a drop off in courtship "offers" pouring in for her to JB.

JD on the other hand -- I have no idea what he brings to the table. He's 25 and looks like he's about 40; nor does he have any redeeming qualities like personality or wit or charm that could win a girl over. Nor is he SUCH a fabulous provider that a girl will likely say -- to hell with looks I'll live well. Instead he's an overgrown 15 yr old judging by his wedding prank abilities who likes to play cop, while most likely just running a tow truck business. I can't even imagine him trying to be romantic or even kind to a girl -- what would he even say while guys like Ben are trotting out lines re giving their girls all the rose gardens in the world?? I'm sure JB and Michelle are concerned about him bc they know their best hope is finding a family like the Kellers -- a dad who will be SO bowled over that a wealthy Duggar dare speak to their family that they will hand over a daughter whether she likes it or not. There are likely only so many families out there that would be so willing even given the Duggar wealth; I imagine many of these fundie dads do love their daughters and may not all be willing to force their daughter into such a situation just for money. And JB and Michelle probably realize that if JD is going to get married, they will have to be the ones to get him married off. He isn't like Josh or Zach Bates who had enough sex drive that they were actively looking for a cute girl and could go back to their dads and say -- let's pray about this one. JD doesn't have any initiative or sex drive, so he likely isn't even on the lookout.

• Love 8

I was a natural at memorization, so I crushed people at Sunday School and Wednesday night type stuff. Without even trying. But I refused to do Bible quizzing as a teen, for which a number of people never forgave me. :)

• Love 2

Talking about their home fooling, is Boob ever a teacher or is that considered only women's work in his mind? When they were building the TTC, I'm sure there was some construction instruction but I'm talking about actually sitting with a group of the kids doing a lesson (not including Bible Time either.) Since he doesn't have a set 9-5 work schedule he should surely be able to help in the teaching.

• Love 1