Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

I don’t see an issue with the toothbrush reward either.  I mean, it is Paw Patrol and it looked kind of fancy. I’d rather that than candy.  He’s young, and that toothbrush may be the motivator he needs to willingly brush at least twice a day.  Izzy looked so proud; he must have picked which one he wanted.   I guess I’m Team Jill today, but I think it’s one of her better moves.  

ETA: My hormones are all over the place today, so maybe that explains my leniency.

• Love 20
7 minutes ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

I don’t see an issue with the toothbrush reward either.  I mean, it is Paw Patrol and it looked kind of fancy. I’d rather that than candy.  He’s young, and that toothbrush may be the motivator he needs to willingly brush at least twice a day.  Izzy looked so proud; he must have picked which one he wanted.   I guess I’m Team Jill today, but I think it’s one of her better moves.  

ETA: My hormones are all over the place today, so maybe that explains my leniency.

I don't see any real issue with the toothpaste/toothbrush reward either...the toothbrush in particular looks pretty nifty. I just kind of get a kick out of Jill, in a moment of actual reflection, deciding that if she posted a picture of Israel with a reward of candy for a job well done, she would get verbally bludgeoned for it, and deciding, as a preemptive move, to do the absolute opposite. Yay!

Still, anything that shows a smidgeon of self-awareness is a step forward, so I'm going to give her this one.

• Love 8

I do wish that Jill had explained that the toothbrush was a cool or fancy one, or that he had been begging for a new toothbrush. Since everyone knows that her parents restricted basic items, and neglected their kids, people might think the same of Jill, that her child has to work for the right to have a toothbrush. I'm thinking it was some sort of reward-worthy toothbrush, BUT you know she will get some negative comments. 

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

I agree.  I don’t think that Jill meant Izzie had no toothpaste or toothbrush unless he completed the book!  He probably wanted a special one that maybe cost more than what she would usually spend.  As far as incentives go, it’s not a bad one.  

I’m glad she feels free to go about her day in jeans like most young women her age and has broken away from her “skirts and dresses only” upbringing.

• Love 17
6 minutes ago, Christina87 said:

I do wish that Jill had explained that the toothbrush was a cool or fancy one

I mean, it's Instagram. She posted photos. Those who are not visually impaired can look with their eyes before making a judgment?

• Love 10

A cool toothbrush and fancy toothpaste isn't a bad reward.  Better than buying him a bag of candy.  We grew up with a very limited budget.  I was so excited at Christmas to get a Mickey Mouse toothbrush in my stocking.   

It doesn't take much effort for Jill to look very cute.  She has a nice figure and looks great with her hair tied back.

And Derick is still an idiot.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 9

I just assumed that unlike Jessa's bargain hunting, Jill is just opting to dress her tots out of all the free, leftover boys clothes in the dorm at the TTH.  

Hell, based on the tiny size of some of the pre-teen howlers still in residence, they may all be wearing the same sizes.  Israel has got to be almost as big as some of them.  

To me, rewards for littles are some cool stickers, a little fire truck or a bubble wand.  Not plastic bristles and Fluoride.  And like BigBinger, rewards for schoolwork don't sit well with me.  

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 4
On 3/21/2019 at 12:43 PM, tabloidlover said:

Jill needs to dump Citrus and Lemon stat... from her IG story this morning, please note the horrible sandals and the shirt looks like a shirt my mom wore in the late 70’s

F6BFDCCD-0F8F-4756-9240-B5EC4D4DB4A6.jpeg

Seriously, WTF is this supposed to be?

Why do we need to see the lamp post? Why do we need to see all of the low income housing? If Jill wants to take a picture with her boys, why not crouch down beside them -- why not wrap an arm around HER OWN CHILDREN? If this is supposed to be a picture of Jill in these sad clothes, why not just take a picture of Jill? If this is supposed to be a natural shot of how great these clothes fit into her "busy lifestyle," why not take a picture of her doing some normal task?

These people take the worst photos. I'd say (again), that they should get a book, or take a class -- since this is their JOB -- but Jill knows everything about everything, and there's no reason for additional information. I just can't get over how little effort she puts into EVERYTHING she does. 

Edited by cmr2014
spelling
  • Love 13
On 3/20/2019 at 12:57 PM, Christina87 said:

https://www.dillardfamily.com/2019/03/confessions-of-a-christ-seeking-millennial/

Has anyone else seen this drivel?!

Already in the first paragraph, he has made me mad! He says he's a typical millennial, sans the bad stereotypes. How arrogant! I feel like a lot of the negative stereotypes don't embody me (love of hookup culture and partying, irresponsibility, ultra-progressive and in your face about it, etc), but no one goes unscathed by ANY bad stereotypes about their generation. I mean, even just thinking about innocuous stereotypes that apply to me, like being on my phone a lot...does Derick not do this? Last time I checked, he was glued to twitter, shooting down people left and right in his zealotry! Maybe he could have said, "although not every stereotype applies to me, I'm pretty typical," or something like that. No one is so special that literally no negative stereotypes apply to them!

Also in the first paragraph, he says he hasn't had spring break in a decade. Yeah, right! His whole LIFE has been spring break! If he'd been steadily working at Walmart until now, he'd have a point, but he has only done ONE YEAR of real work in his life!

Most importantly, everyone needs to go read his paragraph about marriage ASAP, and then tell me he's happy he married Jill! He said nothing positive about her, and while I agree to an extent that a lot of people out there have this notion of "the one," and it keeps them from committing to a decent person, that's not the situation Derick is in. He says the one you're married to is the one, and he talks about (hypothetically) having doubts before marriage, and then keeping them during marriage. He's basically saying to force yourself to be happy with your spouse, because you can't go back and change it...yet he claims to be giving advice to single people? We don't need your advice, because we didn't make that mistake! He also says nothing positive about being married to Jill, or clarifies that his "hypothetical" doubts aren't real. I actually feel bad for her, if she's smart enough to read between the lines! Also, his throwaway sentiment about not being sure sure his mom would be alive when they came back from their honeymoon tells me all I need to know about why he rushed to marry her. If she died, he'd literally only have one relative, which means even more considering that Cathy is adopted. Marrying Jill asap and having a baby sounded a lot better than that. If he weren't such an asshole, I'd feel sorry for him, but I do think he needs to get out. Even as a Christian, he should see how he was vulnerable, and basically tricked by the duggars into such a quick marriage, just for a tv show. That shouldn't sentence Derick and Jill to a miserable life. 

To put it simply, if you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with. Crosby, Stills Nash & Young.

• LOL 9
  • Love 7
51 minutes ago, Catlyn said:

To put it simply, if you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with. Crosby, Stills Nash & Young.

Love me some CSNY...

Yet another paraphrase...

Marry in haste OR repent at leisure.

(In their case, it’s more like “and/or” but what do I really know. Maybe she’s genuinely happy. As we used to say in climbing school, “No brain means no headache.”

• LOL 2

I stand corrected ( sort of).  When I first commented about Izzy’s “reward” I only saw the first photo.  ( I really have to pay attention to those little arrows).  That is a pretty snazzy toothbrush as opposed to the regular one I was imagining. 

Still not totally on board with a reward for finishing schoolwork, but to be fair the poor kid is still small and the book was probably way over his level of understanding.

Has he turned 4 yet? 

• Love 4
27 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

I stand corrected ( sort of).  When I first commented about Izzy’s “reward” I only saw the first photo.  ( I really have to pay attention to those little arrows).  That is a pretty snazzy toothbrush as opposed to the regular one I was imagining. 

Still not totally on board with a reward for finishing schoolwork, but to be fair the poor kid is still small and the book was probably way over his level of understanding.

Has he turned 4 yet? 

Yup. my thinking as well...There's still plenty of time to scale back on rewards for every accomplishment over the next couple of years. Get to the point of words of encouragement for small things, and maybe a reward for finishing a unit, or a week's worth of assignments, or however their curriculum is broken up.

• Love 1
37 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

Has he turned 4 yet? 

Izzy turns 4 in a couple of weeks, IIRC. I forget the exact day, but it's early April.

• Love 3

I'm not going to give her credit for doing stuff with the boys because she's only putting out effort because her talking asshole is on spring break.  When it's just her & the boys, they never seem to leave the house.  But her talking asshole is around & suddenly look at all the stuff they are doing out in the big bad world!   Nope, her talking asshole is taking everyone to the park, she's just there because he is. 

• LOL 5
  • Love 6

I just assumed that the book he finished was an entire workbook, or maybe the first level of the math curriculum they're using. That would merit a fancy toothbrush in my opinion.

Those close-ups of Izzy - bless that poor child's heart, he is Derrick Dillard all over again. 

The picture of her outside squinting just screams 1980 to me. It gave me flashbacks to all the pics we have of various family members standing out in front of my grandma's government housing apartment. 

I think Jill is depressed and doesn't know it.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

Has he turned 4 yet? 

Me too! I didn't realize it was more than one picture at first. I still think she should have explained it better. I went to the insta posts, and there are a LOT of negative comments. It even looks like leghumpers are saying things like, "I usually support you guys, but I can't support this."

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Abstract said:

I think Jill is depressed and doesn't know it.

Agreed! I don't think she's ever been allowed to have negative emotions, so being depressed would be very confusing to her. I think that's why she goes into overdriving trying to post about how wonderful her life is on social media. 

I also know that depression is not a fun adventure to have around fundies. I've had fundies express shock that someone could be depressed and be a believer. The insinuation being you couldn't really be a true Christian and love God if you were depressed. 

• Love 5
16 hours ago, Madtown said:

Can I ask why the fuck I had a dream about Derick last night? I've never had a Duggar dream and the first time I do, it's with this asshole. He was a chef apparently and was cooking breakfast for a bunch of people at some big hall of sorts. If you didn't compliment on how good it was, he would choke you to near death. I actually had to pull his hands off someone as they were turning purple. Jilly just stood there and watched as if it were a normal thing and ok to do. So then I figured this was a something he did all the time at home. Also, Spurgeon was their kid.

Well, at least it wasn't a sex dream featuring Derick. 

• LOL 18
  • Love 2
57 minutes ago, Zella said:

Agreed! I don't think she's ever been allowed to have negative emotions, so being depressed would be very confusing to her. I think that's why she goes into overdriving trying to post about how wonderful her life is on social media. 

I also know that depression is not a fun adventure to have around fundies. I've had fundies express shock that someone could be depressed and be a believer. The insinuation being you couldn't really be a true Christian and love God if you were depressed. 

That's so sad! I know a lot of fundies don't believe in science, but it seems like having a chemical imbalance would be a very easily understandable, non-controversial part of science (as opposed to evils like evolution!). These people just get more and more ridiculous. 

43 minutes ago, Zella said:

I'm dying laughing about the choking part. I can see it! 

Me too!!! And I can also very easily see Jill just standing there, blase and clueless as usual. 

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

I guess I’m in the minority here, but the pic doesn’t bother me too much.  All our pics growing up in the 80s looked like that, and I appreciate the simplicity.  It looks like an actual candid photo of a mom playing outside with her children.  What’s wrong with that? Maybe I wouldn’t post it, but it looks like someone (I assume Deertick) saw them and wanted to get a quick snap of the moment.  

I’ll take this over Jeremy and Jessa’a heavily staged photos anyday.  There’s nothing natural or endearing about retaking the same photo five times to get the best shot. The mere fact that Spurge knows how to hold the pose lets you know he’s going to grow into a sickening kid if Jessa doesn’t watch out.  

ETA: Everyone’s hair is clean, their clothes fit and match, and the boys are getting fresh air and exercise.  Kudos to Jill (can’t believe I just said that) for not sitting around the TTH all day.  

Yes! I was thinking th same thing. Looks exactly like all of the photos taken when I was growing up. I have no patience or respect for those heavily staged photos.

• Love 4
Just now, Christina87 said:

That's so sad! I know a lot of fundies don't believe in science, but it seems like having a chemical imbalance would be a very easily understandable, non-controversial part of science (as opposed to evils like evolution!). These people just get more and more ridiculous. 

Yes, I just remember having a group conversation that delved into a surprisingly honest conversation about depression. The couple of us who admitted to having struggled with it were bombarded with all sorts of ignorant questions, chief of which, "well, this was obviously before you were a Christian." And when one girl said, "No, it was after," everyone was really judgmental about it. They were completely mystified too that one could have depression and not have it tied to a specific event. I think since they distrust science so much in general, there's no science that isn't discounted in some way if it doesn't fit the narrative. 

I only hung around the periphery of fundies without ever being one, but the narrative I was presented about depression is that the solution is to get saved. I never could get anyone to give me a straight answer about what one did if you already were. I'm really glad that I was not raised to think that way and knew they were spouting BS. But it was still quite hurtful. 

I think the general understanding of any sort of mental health issue is very low in fundie circles. This also reminds me of when I was in college in fundie hell. I was once asked, in all seriousness, if I was suicidal because I was walking around campus at night by myself. How that was a sign of suicide I will never know. My response of "Um, no, I'm actually quite happy. Just walking around, enjoying the night air and listening to some Pink Floyd" was not an acceptable answer? 😡

• Love 10
7 hours ago, tabloidlover said:

Absolutely!   They would pretty much have to since #besthubbyever won’t get a job and work to support his family.

Jill has to buy clothes 8 sizes too big so that they can wear them for a year or so.  “Sorry boys, daddy won’t work to support us, nor will he allow me to be on tv any longer,  so our limited funds must last as long as possible”

I can't put all of the blame for not working on Derick. Many women work to support the family while their husbands are in grad /law/medical school. And vice versa. The responsibility is shared.

• Love 11
4 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

I can't put all of the blame for not working on Derick. Many women work to support the family while their husbands are in grad /law/medical school. And vice versa. The responsibility is shared.

This. If she has time to tag along to law school, she has time to have a part-time job. 

• Love 18
24 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

Yes! I was thinking th same thing. Looks exactly like all of the photos taken when I was growing up. I have no patience or respect for those heavily staged photos.

Thing is, back in the day if you wanted a good picture, you had to line everyone up and make sure they were behaving before you snapped. And it was still going to be a gamble. Nowadays you can simply keep snapping at random while your basic vision plays out, and if you get one or two good shots out of thirty, you probably have photos with much, much more personality than all our old family photos from the 70's or 80's. Weren't they. in all reality, as much or more "staged" than today's attempts at artsy photography?

• Love 11

Remember an episode a while back when Derick and Jill went out to dinner alone (an anniversary maybe)? Derick was trying to get all deep and asked Jill about her plans and dreams for the future. She had literally nothing to say. I’m guessing during their group courtship, with the parents on their chats, he was sold a bill of goods about how she wanted to be a midwife and had a calling for missions like he did. Turns out that she’s a scared little sheltered bird, and completely lost it in Danger America. I don’t think she’s ever recovered.  

I wonder if she’s agoraphobic? She doesn’t seem to leave the house without Derick. I know it’s hard with little kids, but she’s either in the big house or home making cream of crap casserole. 

• Love 7

Yeah, I can't quite parse what happened with Jill in Central America, but it was not good for her psyche. I imagine that time period in general was just going to be shitty for her no matter where she was or what she was doing, with the whole Josh thing coming to light, but the entire missionary adventure seems to have been unwittingly designed to make her crack. 

• Love 10
  • I don't think she is mentally ill or depressed...I think she is emotionally stunted....and just does not know how to deal with the emotions she is feeling so she keeps herself in a little box of what she knows....anytime a situation comes up that is outside of her comfort zone/experience..she panics...I think it causes situational anxiety...it all comes from the paradigm in which she views life...I personally know a family of 12- 10 kids..who were big gotherdites...years ago...the mother suffered with depression ...big time...she withdrew..was despondent and just checked out...eventually years later she gave her husband and ultimatum...get me out of this or I am gone...and Oh yeah her kids are a mess...they dont know what their identity is...and they all turned out differently..most of them are a mess....but the saddest one is the oldest daughter who is a few years younger than my own daughter...she is so lost...cant hold down a job, she wants to go to Scotland , find a husband and live a fairy tale life...and oh does she blame her parents...she says her unrealistic started with a ring her father gave her and a promise she made...she basically said she never found anyone who could live up to the example of her father...and now she is alone...her parents did publicly apogize for getting her into the whole mess...but she is still a mess
  • Love 4

When they were in Danger America, didn't Deralickt vaguely refer on their blog to some sort of criminal and/or violent situation that occurred in their home involving Jill?  I seem to recall he started out fairly detailed, but then it basically turned into a "it could have been much worse, but pray for us for healing" type thing that left the reader hanging?

I definitely think Jill is scarred from something that makes her incapable of being alone for an extended period of time (hours).  

• Love 3
18 hours ago, Totally said:

I didn’t think the toobrush and toothpaste were weird rewards, I’ve done the same for my kids.

My kids have probably had even sadder rewards😑

17 hours ago, Ijustwantsomechips said:

I agree.  Plus I'm very happy Izzy is getting rewarded for something rather than being punished. 

16 hours ago, BigBingerBro said:

I could care less about whether the reward is a toothbrush, toilet paper or a bar of soap, but I'm not a fan of giving kids rewards for finishing a school book.  She's creating expectations at a really young age.

I remember Jill was explaining that she used Gunmmy bears/candy as a reward for his schoolwork on a previous video.  We commented he wouldn't be getting rewards for everything he did if he went to a brick & mortar school.  Hopefully the toothbrush was for something special & not just doing his normal work.  

There's a difference between training and teaching. To me, offering small food prizes during a lesson, or really a session, is training. Offering a reward, whether it be a hug, the dreaded YAY, a good grade or a toothbrush for a job well done after completing a lesson is within the norm, IMHO.

• Love 2

Text from previous pictures:

jillmdillard

Lovin’ my new outfits from @citrusandlemon #partner ❤️The heels are comfy y’all!! And of course so are the dress and cardigan! 😍 .
Already getting good reviews on the outfit...lol.....Derick leaving for campus this morning, “Oh! That’s nice and soft! Where’d that come from?” (Referring to the cardigan.) Me, “Yeah, I love it! It’s from my new favorite place, Citrus and Lemon!” lol .
Use my code “JILL” and get 15% off! Swipe up in my story or click here @citrusandlemon to start shopping now! 🛍 😃 .
Warning: if you choose to get anything, you may just fall in love with it and want to buy up the whole store! 🤣😍 #adorable #comfortable

Edited by ginger90
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, BigBingerBro said:

When they were in Danger America, didn't Deralickt vaguely refer on their blog to some sort of criminal and/or violent situation that occurred in their home involving Jill?  I seem to recall he started out fairly detailed, but then it basically turned into a "it could have been much worse, but pray for us for healing" type thing that left the reader hanging?

I definitely think Jill is scarred from something that makes her incapable of being alone for an extended period of time (hours).  

I have always wondered about that time when JB and Michelle rushed down to CA, alluding to a huge crisis.  They never did say what happened.  It was around the same time as Derick going all hippie with his long, unwashed hair.

• Love 4

@Lisa418722 Agreed! In the past few years, Jill has had to contend with a lot of stuff that would be stressful for anyone, but I don't think she has the emotional tools to deal with it or the resources/knowledge to seek actual help because of the way she was raised. It's one reason I just can't hate Jill. She's so pathetic, and I feel terrible for her boys. Can't even imagine what it is like growing up in that house.  

• Love 24
30 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Again, Jill's picture is a mess of contrasts. Her hair and makeup look nice and I like the brown sandals, but that shapeless dress looks like a night shirt and does nothing for her figure.

Jill needs to look at online catalogs or at least some Walmart mannequins. There's a reason they're posed. To hide the faults of whatever they're selling. Hand on hip, side view only, leg in the air, hands in pockets, etc.

Jillybean couldn't find her way out of a bag without help.

And maybe she could do her hair as part of a personal hygiene routine instead of "in case anyone comes by".  

• Love 10

I had a pair of sandals like those Jill is shilling (jilling?) in the early 1070’s. They were called bear traps. 

I wonder if Jill’s  siblings are secretly pleased at how far daddy’s favorite (and holier than this former snitch) has fallen.  She was pretty insufferable when she was engaged and taking all of the cute clothes (such as they were) in the shared closet with her when they moved into the McMansion JimBob provided. 

• Love 8
17 minutes ago, PradaKitty said:

I had a pair of sandals like those Jill is shilling (jilling?) in the early 1070’s. They were called bear traps. 

I wonder if Jill’s  siblings are secretly pleased at how far daddy’s favorite (and holier than this former snitch) has fallen.  She was pretty insufferable when she was engaged and taking all of the cute clothes (such as they were) in the shared closet with her when they moved into the McMansion JimBob provided. 

Wow! You can remember that far back? Some styles never change I guess.

Sorry, Pradkitty, the typo was to much of a temptation for me to resist! I also had shoes like that in the '70s.

• LOL 12
  • Love 2
10 minutes ago, Catlyn said:

Wow! You can remember that far back? Some styles never change I guess.

Sorry, Pradkitty, the typo was to much of a temptation for me to resist! I also had shoes like that in the '70s.

I currently have a pair.  Love them!  Wore them then and now.  They are made by Kork-ese.  I don't think Jill paid what I did.  Let's just say I did not buy used and save the difference.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4