Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

There's millions of Spanish-speaking people in the U.S. The Dullards hardly had to go to Central America to practice ordering things at restaurants and the grocery store.

I also find it interesting that they list NO specifics related to their work other than "serving" and "praying." My guess is they handed out candy to the orphans, listened to a few fetal heartbeats at the birthing center and handed out Bible tracts to the heathen Mayan family. In other words, they did absolutely nothing that would have any significant impact on the poor and needy.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 23

Dullard update:

Hmm which country in Central America has had national elections lately?

I expect this is kind of a general statement. Most of Latin America has been leaning a bit or a lot leftward in recent years, and when you read stuff that S.O.S. devotees say, they voice big opposition to all left-leaning governments, right alongside their big opposition to Catholicism. They clearly want conservative (or what we call conservative, anyway) political rule alongside a conservative Protestant religious climate.

• Love 2

I would have to see some real solid evidence before I believe that Jill and Derick are actually sitting in a class studying Spanish for 20 hours per week, not including homework. I smell another of their big, fat lies.

• Love 7

Antigua Guatemala (Old or "antique" Guatemala).

Yes....I know it's a city, not a country.

Jill neglected to mention they were filmed by TLC. God help her if she worked at the birth center.

Me too! But my CaribbeanSoul mind automatically goes to this beautiful island.

Wish my CaribbeanSoul body could go there as easily!

It's only been a week since they returned to the "mission"?

What a scam.

• Love 2

Yes....I know it's a city, not a country.

Jill neglected to mention they were filmed by TLC. God help her if she worked at the birth center.

So, they had to "serve in a birth center, an orphanage, and visit in the home of a local Mayan family" so TLC would have something to film besides their shopping trips.  Oh, and they found a local church to join.  They are not really setting up as missionaries nor are they explaining what their mission actually is.  They seem to have no agenda whatsoever.  

My gut feeling is that they will hang around until December 4th when they (and probably many other Duggars) will go be volunteers with the S.O.S. Ministries tours in El Salvador and Guatemala.  Those tours last until the 18th.  TLC will probably film those, too, so it will look like Jill and Derick have an organized ministry, which they don't.

Anyway, they probably made $30,000 for the TLC special and that's enough to live for a year hanging around Central America, while they continue to collect money from donors.

• Love 5

"Bible-believing" church, wtf? I'm an atheist and I still find this expression unbelievably smug, condescending and ignorant. What else would a church believe in, Moby Dick?

now this was funny...... 

• Love 5

"Bible-believing" church, wtf? I'm an atheist and I still find this expression unbelievably smug, condescending and ignorant. What else would a church believe in, Moby Dick?

It's a code. Those in the "Bible-believing church" hate and fear all the same things and people the Duggars hate.

• Love 11

Let us not forsake Jonah.

Edited by NewDigs
  • Love 1
we were blessed to serve in a birth center

"WE" were blessed to serve in a birth center ?!?! Even with Jill's nothing-but-questionable credentials I think she belongs in a birthing center more than Derrick, and even then not so much ! WTF would some random American guy be doing at a BIRTHING CENTER ?!  Observing all the little Christian soldiers being born ? 

Sorry (not sorry !) but I don't want total strangers just wandering around any medical center, whether it's for general health or for labor and delivery ! Just because it's in a third world country doesn't mean that you get to "missioncation" by inserting yourself into personal, private medical situations, and possibly film them ! Regardless of their nationality or socioeconomic situation, they are still human beings ! They're people, y'all !

Imagine your at...oh, let's say the gastrointerologist of your choice for some acid reflux issues. Doctor He/She comes in, starts the exam, but, suddenly, a random group of strangers, NONE OF WHOM ARE DOCTORS OR NURSES OR EVEN WORK THERE, barges in to observe and offer their own take on the proceedings. You're basically naked under the little paper gown they've given you, the gazes of the strangers, along with the maybe camera, are on you, and you're supposed to act like this is a totally normal thing !!!!

That's horrifying, right ? So why would that be all okay-dokey just because you're in another country ? A non-English speaking country filled with "foreigners" who haven't heard "The Word" yet ? 

Hey, Jill and Derrick - people in their OWN country aren't foreigners. YOU are, for Christ's sake. 

• Love 19

Yeah. but the key word isn't "Bible." It's "believing." And it's an extremely common phrase and concept among a lot of fundies, and to them it means claiming to embrace the Bible as wholly true, literal, factual, non-metaphorical, non-symbolic, utterly complete system that rules every aspect of life including toothbrush purchases, etc. etc. etc. And it draws the distinction not only with Catholics; but all mainstream Protestants -- Lutherans, Presbyterians, UCC and so on; the megachurches; the moderate and liberal evangelicals like Jim Wallis and so on; and all the other minority Christian churches like Seventh Day Adventist, Latter Day Saints, and so on and so forth. In their minds, they truly believe, while all the others merely hedge and ignore and fail to embrace the thing fully. The minute you start looking into conservative churches you see "Bible-believing church" and "Bible-believing Christian" everywhere. And it's the culture that these guys are absolutely steeped in. The Duggars probably don't even know anybody who doesn't use this phrase and believe they're these single fragment of true believers. And I kind of doubt whether Derick knows many who don't either. I'm sure he doesn't really fraternize with any who don't.

They are making it sound like they are mostly there to learn Spanish. Why do they keep mentioning that? Can they not learn Spanish in the United States?

It may be one of the few things they actually do, other than walking around gawking at locals and socializing with U.S. missioncationers. ... Could be the only thing they have on their schedules that sounds like work.

• Love 5

They are making it sound like they are mostly there to learn Spanish. Why do they keep mentioning that? Can they not learn Spanish in the United States?

According to Google, there are 37 million Spanish speakers in the U.S., however those folks can't give Jill and Derick an excuse to vacation on other peoples' dime.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 7

They should "mission-cation" in Southern CA. It's in the US and frankly tough to get a job there without knowing Spanish so it's easy to find classes.  Oh wait... they don't want jobs.  Well anyway, they could study Spanish. Probably cheaper to live wherever they're vacationing though.

• Love 4

• Prison and gang ministry. Many of the men in Central America are in custody for gang involvement, leaving the gangs themselves as the primary influence of many children, especially young boys, who, sadly, tend to follow in their fathers’ footsteps. By God’s grace and the prayers and fasting of his people, this deadly cycle can be broken and this land healed.

These two dummies want to take on gangs with fasting and prayer? Perhaps an MS-13 leader will be so taken by Derick's interpretive dancing that he'll order his clika to lay their guns down and pray. Just shows how completely ignorant they are.

Edited by CofCinci
  • Love 17

It's a code. Those in the "Bible-believing church" hate and fear all the same things and people the Duggars hate.

It is a code, yes.  It's a code for Non-Catholic, Evangelical churches who focus entirely on the Bible and no other dogmatic teachings.  Unfortunately in doing this, they usually also reject the history of the Christian faith both pre and post Reformation. 

Back in 1517 when Martin Luther nailed his 95 Theses to the church door, most of his gripes were about the non-Biblical side of Catholic theology, pretty much the Church traditions that were made canon law despite not having a basis in the Bible, the heavy hitters being the existence of Purgatory, the selling of indulgences, and the merits of the Saints.  The Protestants, in their various ways, shapes, and means, rejected these ideas and tried to return Christianity to it's roots.    

Theology lesson for the day concluded.

• Love 6

Theology lesson not quite over...Back in 1517 when Martin Luther nailed his 95 Theses to the church door...

...he did so on Oct. 31 (!) which I believe was just timing, but kind of interesting, nonetheless. Good Lutheran kid here. ;-) We just observed Reformation Sunday. Luther died a "good" Catholic, it wasn't his intention to break up the Church, just have it fix all the unethical practices. Sadly, I don't think there is such a thing anymore; churches as a corporate group continue to do things that contradict the tenets of being a "good" Christian.

To bring this back to the Dillards, they honestly BELIEVE what they are doing IS right and good, according to their belief system. But that doesn't make it ethically right. Their mission is starting to remind me an awful lot of the storyline in Book of Mormon (the musical)...using prayer and religion to win over murderous warlords and "help" the poor. Somehow, I don't think the Dillard effort will end in any personal revelations or a big, happy song-and-dance number (well, maybe a weird, crappy skit?).

• Love 13

These two dummies want to take on gangs with fasting and prayer? Perhaps an MS-13 leader will be so taken by Derick's interpretive dancing that he'll order his clika to lay their guns down and pray. Just shows how completely ignorant they are.

Seriously, ask your dad if I can court you.

Edited by Aja
  • Love 12

I love that s

...he did so on Oct. 31 (!) which I believe was just timing, but kind of interesting, nonetheless. Good Lutheran kid here. ;-) We just observed Reformation Sunday. Luther died a "good" Catholic, it wasn't his intention to break up the Church, just have it fix all the unethical practices. Sadly, I don't think there is such a thing anymore; churches as a corporate group continue to do things that contradict the tenets of being a "good" Christian.

To bring this back to the Dillards, they honestly BELIEVE what they are doing IS right and good, according to their belief system. But that doesn't make it ethically right. Their mission is starting to remind me an awful lot of the storyline in Book of Mormon (the musical)...using prayer and religion to win over murderous warlords and "help" the poor. Somehow, I don't think the Dillard effort will end in any personal revelations or a big, happy song-and-dance number (well, maybe a weird, crappy skit?).

I love the scene when they are signing about their troubles and the Africans are talking about droughts, AIDS, female genital mutilation and the Mormon boys come up "the plane was crowded and the bus was late". Really puts things in perspective!
  • Love 4

Ah, but not the RIGHT bible, according to the Duggars.

Heavens, not all that many Protestants -- even conservative ones -- use the right Bible according to the Duggars -- you know the one King James wrote in his castle in Scotland. 

• Love 6

When my brother is finished.

You and me. Homeschool conference. Tater tot stand. Side hugs and victim blaming. *winkwink*

I, too, am curious about the heavy, heavy emphasis on learning Spanish and then "Oh yeah, also we served in these three vague capacities" almost as a throwaway. I am sure that, if they were doing anything productive, we'd hear about it. And hear about it. And hear about it. With photos. And videos. The single, throwaway line about 'serving' speaks volumes.

Edited by Aja
  • Love 11

Pickles and Hairspray is reporting that Jill announced that gang violence can be cured by fasting.

Since most of the people they are "ministering" to are already going hungry, it shouldn't take long to solve the problem!!

Shut your mouth, Jill.  Every time you open it, stupid comes out.

Can't wait to watch your special.  Except not.  I couldn't take an hour of you saying, "like" over and over.

• Love 12

Pickles and Hairspray is reporting that Jill announced that gang violence can be cured by fasting.

What? So violence can be cured by starving people getting hungrier?  Please excuse my French (or Spanish, or English) but WTF?

• Love 8

I really don't know why these people join.  What I learn from these folks is the old testament and a mean God.  I don't see joy.  I feel fear.  So many rules, so little love of this life.

So that you won't burn in hell, Micks Picks.  That's the compensation for everything else!

Edited by queenanne
  • Love 1

Oh PLEASE have Derick do interpretive dancing for the gang members! PLEASE have cameras for this. Oh I forgot they film everything.

• Love 7

Oh PLEASE have Derick do interpretive dancing for the gang members! PLEASE have cameras for this. Oh I forgot they film everything.

Hey, it might not be a bad idea. Remember those Philippino prisoners who danced to Michael Jackson? Derick could start a revolution through interpretive dance and Bible skits. He could even fly TFDW down to do the choreography.

• Love 13

Hey, it might not be a bad idea. Remember those Philippino prisoners who danced to Michael Jackson? Derick could start a revolution through interpretive dance and Bible skits. He could even fly TFDW down to do the choreography.

Oh YES please! Best post of the day!! LMAO

https://instagram.com/p/9ehpQErs4F/

Derrick's accountability partner.

LOL that's a cute picture but the first post caught my eye, "Jill why don't you explain why your not a real midwife." 

• Love 2

One of the comments:

so_loving_summer@gksandghs what gives you the right to call sugar fans dumb! Ur one so are you calling ur self dumb. And they rock because they show the love Christ has for us. So go suck it

Those words are just so Christ-like I'm surprised they aren't in red!

Huh???  I mean usually I can even mentally compensate for auto-correct but this one has me scratching my head.

Well other than the last part where they are so very Christian and showing love and all that.

• Love 3

Took a couple few moments to figure out that a Duggar fan is a sugar fan?

Unfortunately I don't think it's autocorrect. Is it text speak? How will anyone be able to spell when that's what's ingrained?

My best effort is:

What gives you the right to call sugar/Duggar fans dumb! You are one so are you calling yourself dumb? Blahblahblahgosuckit.

• Love 5

I'd buy this on PPV.

And yes, I know I'm going to Hell for that one. At least I'll have some company. ;-)

So go suck it

Just a question: What are we sucking and why?

Signed, Does Your Pastor Know You Just Posted That?

• Love 6