Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

Interesting, though, that there are EXACTLY 19 babbies in the photo. 

There are no coincidences. 

Actually there are 20. There are really no coincidences.

(Maybe you missed the little guy in the back right corner of the couch -- the one in the green shirt with another kid's foot on his head?)

• Love 2

Is what what happened to Josiah?

Not trying to put words in Micks' mouth, but I think what she means is did JB micromanage Marsiah's courtship (via group texts, etc.) to the point Marjorie (maybe with the guidance of her more normal parents) backed out.

• Love 1

Because JB wants to control every aspect of their conversation, as well as their physical interactions.

I recall an interview with Ben/Jessa where they said that in their early group texts Ben made a joke about a ring (or something like that), and JB immediately interjected via text that it was too soon for them to be talking/joking about that. Thanks, dad. Butt out. 

It's really interesting that these parents spend so much time keeping track of their children when they are adults, but as children, they could give a care less- passing them off at 6 months to a slave.  I seriously think Boob gets off on it.

Did this episode state that Jill was involved somehow in each of these kid' births?  

jill-bridal-shower_ep823_011.jpg

The little girl to Jill's right looks like she is about to throw a shoe at someone.  I think she is pissed about wearing the headband. 

Edited by truthtalk2014
  • Love 7

I wouldn't be surprised if Jill has failed this exam a few times.

None of these children have ever been taught how to study -- or even had the experience where they needed to study for a midterm, final exam or SAT/ACT.

Her parents have failed her in so many ways.

I think it's highly likely Jill's taken the exam previously as well. Especially when we consider the amount of time she's been involved in midwifery. It's literally been years. I don't think many individuals study for a solid 4-5 years and suddenly decide to take the test. I think the long, stretched-out period of study for Jill is a direct result of failed exam attempts. Either that or because she's not organized and disciplined about it, her study is so fragmented and episodic that she spends a lot of time reviewing and re-reviewing the same concepts, never getting into new, more complicated material. Like practicing the alphabet over and over, but never moving on to reading.

• Love 8

Yeah, that's exactly what I keep wondering about the Duggar kids generally. As I've mentioned before, I truly think that they're mostly just dumb, dull, incurious people, by birth and not just by nurture. I don't see any other way to explain why virtually none of them seem to have learned anything or really pursued interests in anything.

Jinger's famous photography, for example -- in my experience, people who really love photography are absolutely obsessive about it. You can't pry the camera out of their hands and they're always learning things and experimenting. But you don't see that at all with the Duggar person I've always heard should "start her own photography studio." As far as I can tell, she doesn't give a crap about photography, just as Jill clearly doesn't give a crap about fractions.

And ditto for the rest. Yeah, there's Duggar studios. But even there, if somebody was truly interested and not an idiot, a lot more would be being done and it'd be a lot better. The only visible exception seems to be John David getting his instrument rating as a pilot, and that I truly am impressed with. (And who'd'a thunk I'd find John David the most impressive in any way.)

Maybe there's someone hidden down in the lower reaches who spends time studying or reading or pursuing some hobby. But you sure don't see it. And since I came from a very very squelching environment myself, I know for a fact that, if you really want to do those things, you find a way to do them secretly and on the sly, no matter how much people try to deter you. I can't escape the conclusion that the Duggar kids are dumb and boring by nature, the lot of them. Not that many couldn't blossom to some degree if they were in a nurturing and creative environment. I think that everyone can. But I just don't see evidence that any of them have enough natural talent and drive to pursue anything seriously if their environment doesn't actively call for it. Maybe it's just as well. Could be we're more frustrated for the kids than they are for themselves -- when it comes to schooling and hobbies, at least.

100% agree. I think intellectual curiosity is born in most people, but after 40 years of working with little kids [and then college kids], I also believe there's a relatively small window of opportunity for it to develop. If very young children are not encouraged and supported to learn and reach beyond their grasp, that window closes permanently. And I'm not sure but I think it disappears forever. 

• Love 8

Not that I don't think it's an issue that deserves scrutiny, but aren't we getting a little bit meta when there are regular articles in online publications where the only story is that somebody got negative comments on facebook? I mean, I sincerely doubt all those people actually donated.

• Love 6

I think Jill doesn't consider her sexual abuse to be a liability or burden re: herself, let alone to her spouse. She doesn't think it makes her damaged goods.

Of the two who have spoken out, I think Jill hurts far worse than she let on publicly. I think it hurt all four of them more than they were ever allowed to even share. Jessa's narcissism will shield her, but Jill doesn't have that innate security defense.  

• Love 6

Not that I don't think it's an issue that deserves scrutiny, but aren't we getting a little bit meta when there are regular articles in online publications where the only story is that somebody got negative comments on facebook? I mean, I sincerely doubt all those people actually donated.

Especially since they can't be in "big touble" like in the article. It's not fraud, since their organization's mission statement is so vauge they don't really say how the money will be used. If you just freely give money, you can't complain when it isn't used how you thought it would be. They never said WHERE the money was going, and still haven't, and legally don't really have to.

• Love 3

I think it's highly likely Jill's taken the exam previously as well. Especially when we consider the amount of time she's been involved in midwifery. It's literally been years. I don't think many individuals study for a solid 4-5 years and suddenly decide to take the test. I think the long, stretched-out period of study for Jill is a direct result of failed exam attempts. Either that or because she's not organized and disciplined about it, her study is so fragmented and episodic that she spends a lot of time reviewing and re-reviewing the same concepts, never getting into new, more complicated material. Like practicing the alphabet over and over, but never moving on to reading.

Well, you guys have a much higher opinion of Jill's practical midwifing experience than I do, then. Before you can even sign up for the written exam, you have to have completed a fairly long list of clinical stuff, including this:

"Phase 3: Clinicals as Primary Under Supervision

20 births, 75 prenatals (including 20 initial prenatals), 20 newborn exams, and 40 postpartum exams as a primary midwife under supervision. Continuity of Care births are required in this phase."

http://narm.org/entr...vel-applicants/

I'd be stunned if she even completed that part during this U.S. stay, let alone completing it previously....Must say I'm also surprised that we haven't heard it bragged about on social media, if she's in fact accomplished it. But if she has, and if she has even kept quiet about it, then good for her, I say

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 3

Of the two who have spoken out, I think Jill hurts far worse than she let on publicly. I think it hurt all four of them more than they were ever allowed to even share. Jessa's narcissism will shield her, but Jill doesn't have that innate security defense.  

I honestly think Jill felt that this was all in the past and was more hurt and humiliated that it all had become public knowledge.

• Love 4

It's really interesting that these parents spend so much time keeping track of their children when they are adults, but as children, they could give a care less- passing them off at 6 months to a slave. I seriously think Boob gets off on it.

The little girl to Jill's right looks like she is about to throw a shoe at someone. I think she is pissed about wearing the headband.

Gotta protect those hearts and hymens

• Love 6

Dear Derick and Jill, 1.  Stop living off of other people's money to fund your mission to convert people to your way of life.  2.  Most of the people you will try to convert are smarter than you are or will ever be and have REAL need of money and food, unlike you.  3.  If you aren't telling your donors how THEIR money is being spent you are not being accountable to them and you are expecting to be paid for just being Christians which is VERY un-Christian like.  4.  The Catholics and others you feel the need to 'correct' have the right and ABILITY to determine what is spiritually correct for them and do not need your input or guidance and it is so arrogant of you to think that you have a corner on all things religiously and spiritually correct.  5.  You are not and will never be the only people to ever get married and have children so stop acting like the world owes you for this.  6.  I hope you will be open minded enough to RESPECT other peoples spirituality and humble enough to recognize that you do not have all of the answers even though you actually think that you do. 7.  You are accepting donations under the guise of 'helping' people when you are truly just feeding your own egos by trying to convert others into your way of thinking. 8.  If you truly believe the things you claim you would sacrifice your OWN money to go on your mission, I don't remember Jesus (the one you claim to follow) expecting money from others while enjoying the worldly goods you two have become accustomed to.  9.  You both are young and think you know the answers to the world when you haven't even begun to scratch the surface with the least bit of introspection and questioning.  10.  You both remind me of mindless programmed robots. 

• Love 20

Especially since I suspect Derick has something genetic like Marfan's.

I kind of doubt he has it, but woudln't that deter someone from wanting to push out over a dozen kids? Or maybe...

2.  Most of the people you will try to convert are smarter than you are or will ever be

Oh, that.

• Love 2

I noticed they had quite a few defenders in the comments of that most recent article, including one who said this: "Because the donations are for missionary work all the spending is public information.  In order for non-profits (such as these) to operate the finances are open for anyone the asks for it"

- seemingly missing the point that people are upset, because they're asking where their money is going, but not being told.

• Love 1

Does he really have Marfan Syndrome though? Or does he just look like it?  I know a family with a child who looks like she has Down's Syndrome.  She does not, but if you didn't know her you would think she has it based on her facial features. 

I think the Marfans speculation started because we know his father died young, and Derick does kind of have that build. But from the pictures we've seen of Pa Dillard, it didn't look like he was built like that at all. Derick and Dan both get that tall, thin, long-limbed build from Miss Cathy. I suppose she could have it, but you'd think she'd be presenting symptoms by the age she is now. It's a genetic condition but it doesn't have to be hereditary; some cases just arise from spontaneous mutation at conception. And of course, some people are just tall and lanky like that and don't have any health problems.

I should add, I don't know a lot about Marfans and basically looked it up a while ago when that idea was first suggested (here). I've had occasion to do a lot of reading about genetic disease process in general and I'm a well-trained researcher, but just an amateur in this area.

• Love 2

Folks, speculating about health is one thing, making diagnoses and stating health issues as fact are another. It's starting to get a little uncomfortable with the diagnosing of health issues when few of us are qualified and none of us have access to his medical records. Let's keep the health speculation to a minimum. Thanks!

• Love 6

I think that the fact that this story has been buzzing around the internet for at least a couple weeks and has gotten no response from Jill and Derrick is all the response we need.  We know they're both very active on social media and surely they've read the questions posted on the various sites where their presence is found.  Yet, not a word about it, which says to me that, indeed, Jill and Derrick do consider the cost of plane tickets to fly back and forth to the US for social events as part of the 'cost' of their mission.  They've been back in the US 3 times in less than 2 months, all for various weddings and media appearances, all travels funded by love offerings I bet.  The trip to their church to get their mission blessed is probably the excuse they would offer for not paying for their own trips back and forth.

They announced on their blog that, although they don't plan to return to Central America for at least a month, they've already moved out of their house.  Where are they staying and who's paying for it?  Even if they're bunking at the TTH, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that mission donations are going towards their living expenses there.  Or paying to put them up in a nice rental someplace, probably also owned by Jim Bob.

They've got a lovely website which they use to post photos, to blog, and to fundraise.  It would be easy enough to show a running tally of how much money has been collected for their 'mission', check out almost any 'Go Fund Me' site.  An app would be easy enough to set up, but they haven't because they don't want the sheep to know how much they've already collected. 

It is also quite possible to post a list of projects that they plan to undertake in El Salvador as well as estimates of cost for each..  My church group has done medical, construction and engineering missions there. Our website listed all of the trips we've taken, what we did, what it cost and also posted pictures.  Along with a button allowing people to donate, we allow them to designate their donation for a specific purpose: if you want your money spent specifically for medicines for children, or for an engineering project to provide irrigation for local farms; just say so and we'll not only do it; we'll send you an accounting of it complete with photos.  Our site also specifically mentions that, other than sometimes paying half the airfare for college students who are fluent in Spanish to translate for us; all volunteers pay for their own travel each way.  We also pay the locals who help us on our missions out of our own pockets.  Money donated to helping people there is spent for that and that alone.  Our group even holds separate fund raisers to pay for food for our volunteers while we're down there.  And, yeah, we have to provide a line-by-line accounting of all of our expenses which goes to the church council and is available to anyone who asks.

The fact that their site is so obviously intentionally vague about their goals and plans makes it pretty obvious to me, anyway, that the whole idea was to get people to support them while they hang out down in El Salvador and pretend to actually be doing something worthwhile.  They are greedy con artists and they've learned from the masters; Jim Bob and Michelle.  They are supposedly going back to 'language school' when they return, so their actual 'mission' has yet to begin.  The first couple months they were down there were apparently spent going to the beach and walking around the village so people could admire their tow headed kid.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 23

I'm not really trying to defend them, because I don't really think that they have any actual plans, or any concrete ideas about what they could do to help people in Central America. I think that they -- Jill in particular -- just planned to go and talk about Jesus and courting and save some souls. If they were real grifters, they would have answered by now -- the questions aren't going away, are making them look dishonest, and are essentially destroying their ability to raise money in the future. Grifters would have a quick answer, and lots of promises, but they have just been silent.

I think they're dumb.

• Love 15

I'm not really trying to defend them, because I don't really think that they have any actual plans, or any concrete ideas about what they could do to help people in Central America. I think that they -- Jill in particular -- just planned to go and talk about Jesus and courting and save some souls. If they were real grifters, they would have answered by now -- the questions aren't going away, are making them look dishonest, and are essentially destroying their ability to raise money in the future. Grifters would have a quick answer, and lots of promises, but they have just been silent.

I think they're dumb.

I agree. I think Jill grew up watching her family being praised for their "missionary work" handing out soccer balls and lollipops to poor people. She probably doesn't understand why, seemingly all of the sudden, that no longer qualifies as mission work or earns her the same praise that her family received for years for the same "good works." 

Edited by Guest

I can see Jim Bob directing Duggar Studios to produce a video of fresh-water wells being dug in his backyard, by the J'Slaves, and presenting it as evidence of mission work in Central America. Like a faked moon landing! Arkansas is kind of Central America, if you learned Geography from a wisdom booklet.

• Love 9

I can see Jim Bob directing Duggar Studios to produce a video of fresh-water wells being dug in his backyard, by the J'Slaves, and presenting it as evidence of mission work in Central America. Like a faked moon landing! Arkansas is kind of Central America, if you learned Geography from a wisdom booklet.

Yep. It is almost in the center-ish of America. 

I kind of think that Derick went into this with a plan -- he's an accountant, and they aren't known for being flighty. I also think that it was a plan that he and Jill discussed when they were "courting." After they got married he would work at WalMart while he finished his degree, and Jill would work to finish her mid-wife certification and get the required number of undergraduate hours to qualify as a missionary wife. Once they had their credentials, the would begin applying for a long-term missionary position. This is what they talked about on-camera, at least.

The plan began to unravel almost immediately, though, when JB offered them the McMansion. Their house was full of howlers and lost-girls 24/7, there were cameras everywhere, and Jill's talk of finishing her education disappeared the minute she found out she was expecting. Derick was on thin-ice at work because he was out so much, and he couldn't refuse any of JB's requests because "we gave you this nice house, and all we ask is that you assist us in our ministry every now and then." i also think that by then Jilly-Muffin had done a 180 as she became the focus of the show, and started getting her own magazine spreads. I think she may have been trying to convince Derick that a spin-off would be their own "ministry."

Then, the earthquake hit Nepal while Jill and Derick were at Big Sandy surrounded by Gothardites congratulating each other on what fabulous Christians they are. Right about that time he was offered a job with SOS -- probably through some friend of JB who knew he wanted to be a "missionary," and assumed that all missionaries work for some vacation-missionary scam outfit. I don't think it was what he was looking for, but it was a way out, so he took it.

Once they decided to go, I think that JB had a big hand in setting up the non-profit corporation and soliciting donations. Based on the whole "Biblical" economic theory that JB practices, I think that it's entirely possible that all of that money is funneled directly to him and he pays their expenses as he sees fit. I think that they are under enormous pressure to come back to Arkansas every time JB calls. I also think that the family makes an effort to manipulate Jill to make sure that she keeps the pressure on Derick to go back to Arkansas, probably for good.

So, it's possible that they aren't responding because 1) JB is controlling the money, and they really don't know who's money is being spent on what or 2) Derick knows where the money is going, and he doensn't have an answer for his supporters other than "you don't know the kind of pressure my wife and in-laws put on me to come back every few weeks." If that's the case, I would guess that he realizes that that's not a good answer, and is keeping silent.

• Love 8

I think they're dumb.

Except Jill couldn't speak much Spanish. And I'm sure the locals were already familiar with Jesus.

• Love 8
he's an accountant, and they aren't known for being flighty.

But they are known for sometimes getting very creative with money. I know of a rather ridiculous number of mild-mannered accountants who were caught absconding with lots of moola. Not suggesting Derrick would do that--just saying, who better than accountant to massage the numbers?

• Love 5

But they are known for sometimes getting very creative with money. I know of a rather ridiculous number of mild-mannered accountants who were caught absconding with lots of moola. Not suggesting Derrick would do that--just saying, who better than accountant to massage the numbers?

You can add to that that Derick sought out JB who is kind of a dumb-ass, but who thinks he's a genius and who has a bunch of naive daughters to marry off, and you could make a decent case for Derick being a bit of a predator who hoped to hit the big-time in the grifting business. I don't really think that's the case, though. Derick appears to come from a decent family of working people, not a family of grifters.

• Love 2

Derick posted a new video of Israel drinking from a bottle while lying down. I don't know anything about caring for infants, but is this normal? I would think you would want to sit him up to reduce the risk of aspiration. Maybe they are as dumb as Michelle, who feeds toddlers from a spoon while they are lying flat on their backs?

• Love 3

Derick posted a new video of Israel drinking from a bottle while lying down. I don't know anything about caring for infants, but is this normal? I would think you would want to sit him up to reduce the risk of aspiration. Maybe they are as dumb as Michelle, who feeds toddlers from a spoon while they are lying flat on their backs?

My kids drank an occasional bottle lying down.

• Love 4

Some folks give the baby a bottle in the crib to help it soothe itself to sleep. A lot of experts don't like it, because it trains the child to associate bedtime with a bottle (which is not helpful if you want them to sleep through the night). It also means they go to sleep with sugar on their teeth, once they have teeth.

However. It also means they're allowing him to soothe himself to sleep instead of letting him cry, which I think is a really good sign.

• Love 2

When it comes to the money, I would think they assumed that people understood that its main use would be to pay their salaries. After all, they're the missionaries. And when you pay people's salaries, you don't get any say in how they spend them. 

I know we all think that they have other money and that they should probably mainly be living on that and directing the donations to helping out the locals in some tangible sense. And I'm sure a lot of people wonder why Jill would get a salary from the missionary work at all at this point, since she doesn't seem to do anything except follow Derick around with a cellphone camera and carry Izzy. But I'm sure that's not the way they see it. In their view, they're missionaries doing incredibly valuable work and people who donate to them are supporting the missionaries and thus making it possible for them to do that work.

Their view of missions isn't about bringing vaccination clinics or installing good wells or whatever. It's having missionaries on the spot who know what Christianity really is and who will tell people about that and thus save those people and the planet for the Lord for all eternity. I expect they consider the other forms of missionary help trivial and beside the point. After all, if you don't die of thirst or cholera but end up living to a ripe old age, you're still going to spend eternity burning in hell if you have the wrong view of Christianity. And, worse, they likely believe that if the whole world isn't converted to the right view of Christianity, Christ can't come back and start the thousand-year reign of glory that will bring everybody who's saved into heaven for all eternity.

Jill, in particular, is so steeped in the idea that the Duggar way and the Duggar family are an integral part of the Lord's most important work on earth, that I expect she'd be shocked to learn that anyone would feel that returning to the Duggar home regularly could possibly be seen as an unworthy use of her missionary's salary.

I don't think there has to be anything nefarious about their use of the money. Just a tremendous clash of world views.

I do have sort of a hard time seeing that college-educated Derick thinks this way. But then I remember that Derick wanted Jim Bob Duggar as a prayer partner the last time he was a missionary, and college-educated Gil and Kelly Bates are devoted Gothardites.

• Love 15

I sure hope that Derick is purposing to use this extra month off to look for a job. All these questions about where the money is going is bad press for SOS and might result in a slow down of funds. Without funds there is no "mission." I'm really sorry but I personally think this was a way to escape the scandals and no way has anything to do with "saving people's souls."

• Love 6

It also means they go to sleep with sugar on their teeth, once they have teeth.

I know very little about raising kids, but I do know this leads to bottle-mouth and shit-ton of lifelong dental problems.  (Thanks, Mom and Dad.)

• Love 8

All these questions about where the money is going is bad press for SOS and might result in a slow down of funds.

I wonder, though. Something tells me that most of the people complaining either never actually did donate to SOS at all and just find the whole idea outrageous or had never donated to SOS before Jill and Derick's plea and did so only because of the Duggars.

Surely the group's regular donors all know that its main function is to bring U.S. fundies to Central America to paint nails, perform skits and visit another country with a group of like-minded Christians? I would expect that its regular donors are mostly people who've gone on these trips or have friends, family or fellow church members who've gone on the trips or hope to in the future. And it kind of looks to me as if the idea of "missions" like this is actually growing. I certainly hear about them much more than I ever did in the past, at any rate.

I'm sure the publicity won't increase donations to SOS, which I'm sure is what they were hoping. But I'm not convinced that the flap would cause any actual drop-off. There are plenty of places to donate to that tell you what kind of help to locals your money will help provide, so I think it's unlikely that SOS had many -- or any -- former donors who didn't understand the kinds of  "mission" they conduct. And if you supported that kind of mission before, I don't know why you'd stop supporting it now, really.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 7

If baby Izzy is sleeping with a bottle at night, does this mean that he's weaned and Jill is trying for number 2 already? I do hope that Derrick has the common sense to put his foot down and tell Jill that they're not having 19 kids. He seemed overwhelmed when they were at the Duggar household a few times and the younger siblings were swarming all over him. 

• Love 5

Thanks for your perspective, Churchhoney, I'm sure you're right.  I think, if anything, this kerfluffle will open up SOS to a lot of questioning from the media and the rest of the world who don't understand this kind of 'mission' work.  I find myself wondering, 'what do they do all day?' on these trips.  How long does it take to hand out Bibles and candy, especially when you don't speak the language?  I have my doubts that fundy language school is all that, either.  From what I've seen, it looks to me like they mainly hang out visiting with other like-minded fundies visiting from the US and, if one of the locals takes a Bible and says, 'Praise Jesus', they count it as a conversion.  Maybe they consider it 'work', but to those of us on the outside of fundieville, it looks like a scam.

Being non-fundy and having my major experience with modern-day Catholic missions which are strongly flavoredby the Church' views on social justice, Jill and Derick seem like a couple of lazy lugs who want others to pay for them to not do any practical work.  They seemingly don't even have a church space or regular services or any structured schedule to follow.  They must be paying themselves rather large salaries out of the funds they've raised to be able to afford so many trips to the US so frequently.  Based on their first couple months, it looks like they expect to return to the US at least monthly.  El Salvador is relatively close and flights aren't expensive (says the doc who's paid her way to Kenya and Peru to do medical missions), but we're still talking thousands of dollars annually.  Presuming they put Iz on their laps, we're talking around $700 roundtrip.  Since they left in July, they've been back and forth 3 times and brought Joy and her friend to visit; that is a pretty nice salary they're drawing, to afford about 3 grand in air travel in only two months.  The cost of living in El Salvador is cheap, amongst other things, there isn't much to buy in the sticks, but considering the rather exorbitant rates SOS charges, IMO, they are spending a bundle on this ridiculous pursuit.

BTW, when everyone kept mentioning SOS, I kept thinking of SOS, Supplies Over Seas, which provides medical goods salvaged from the US, to groups doing mission work.  They gave us a lot of what we used in Kenya.  I couldn't figure out how or why they would be involved in fundy mission tourism. I was relieved to discover they are not related in the least and they run an actual charity and provide accountability.Their website, unlike fundy SOS, actually includes specifics and links to their financials.  Anyone considering contributing to the REAL SOS should take a look:http://www.suppliesoverseas.org/who-we-are/our-mission/

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 13

Despite my previous tongue-in-cheek remark about mild-mannered accountants and embezzlement, I don't think Derrick and and Jill are intentionally mismanaging funds. I think they are scraping up against the harsh reality that when you live on monies acquired by direct solicitation, those who donated are going to expect a certain level of transparency and accountability. I have a hunch that's coming as a bit of a surprise to them.

The Duggars always framed their fame-whoring as a "ministry," so Jill spent a goodly chunk of her growing-up years with large amounts of material goods, world travel, and cash flowing in for no other reason than just getting in front of a camera. For years, the equation has been "I'm a Duggar, I'm super special because God, therefore the money magically appears and how I use it is no one's beeswax. Long hair, baby, pious-smile big for the camera!" Derrick ought to know better, but he jumped aboard the train wreck just soon enough to get a taste of the TLC pie and start liking it (ha...how's that for a mixed metaphor?)

No way do I think all the people pubically demanding to know about the Dillard's expenses are actual donors. But the situation has made the question gain traction, and has probably gotten the attention of some actual donors, and that's okay. There are enough grinning monkeys living high off the hog on the "love offerings" of the gullible. Maybe there is still time for the Dillards to choose differently. Not that I'm holding my breath.

• Love 11

Anyone who donated to the Dillards shouldn't have any expectations, the Dillards were always short on details, plans, etc. It's hard to claim you were misled and didn't expect Jill and Derick to spend your donation on living expenses, when all you were ever told was Jill and Derick were seeking donations to go on a mission.

• Love 5

I agree that there isn't deliberate misappropriation of funds (ie let's tell people we are going on a mission and let's go to Hawaii instead) but I feel pretty sure they feel that donated money is theirs to do what they please and never thought they would be called to account. Every year my husband and I donate to a mission trip organized by a nurse he works with. He always says yes because my hubby is a good guy and never likes to say no to anyone. This year I'm going to be asking some questions. I'm not even sure it's a medical mission

• Love 4

From what I've seen, it looks to me like they mainly hang out visiting with other like-minded fundies visiting from the US and, if one of the locals takes a Bible and says, 'Praise Jesus', they count it as a conversion. 

Yep, that's my guess, too. If they were doing anything else, there'd be photos.

I honestly think they believe that they, and their "cause," are so godly, that mere contact with its devotees is enough to change the hearts of many a heathen, Catholic or otherwise. I'm sure that's what all the Duggars thought on their family "mission trips" to hand out nail polish. Seems astonishing. But when you pretty literally know nothing at all, I expect you can develop some amazing fantasies, especially when those fantasies involve you having lots of fun (and feeling very very superior) without paying a dime.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 2