Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

I'm hoping Michelle goes off the deep end on camera during the birth. Eye daggers, crazy bug eyes, the voice, looking both jealous and like she'd rather be anywhere else. Jill's dislike of pain might lead her to say...not nice things to her mother, or sisters.

• Love 3

Strangely enough episiotomies are worse for mom than tears. Straight cuts are easier to sew and that's why doctors usually do them.  That it will prevent a tear is just talk. I found out when I had to have surgery to repair an episiotomy scar.  The solution was to let it tear in the next delivery.  That's when the OB explained how the tear would heal faster and less painfully and he was certainly right.

Wow, I will take your word on this. Seems counter- intuitive, though.

I agree in some ways it does, but living through a not overly large cut and a stage 4 tear, I assure you I healed much faster and with less than half the pain with the tear.  As that OB said though not all OBs are skilled stitchers and those that aren't will stretch the facts or maybe just don't even know the facts so they can stitch a cut rather than a tear.  It seems to take much more skill.  He was the head of OB and extremely knowledgeable. 

• Love 1

I have a question....Jill is planning a home birth, but if a C-section was necessary, at what point is that decision made, and are they pretty close to a hospital? I'm asking because both of my sons were C-sections, ages 21 and 17 now. Both times I had a trial of labor and could not deliver even after pushing for several hours. The decision was made for the surgery the first time because of the 3 hours of pushing with no progress and the second time, it was due to my son't heart rate dropping dramatically..so there was a big hurry the second time around. What if there's an emergency during Jill's labor?  Do midwives have access to all of the same equipment as a hospital does?

As far as professional affiliation with the birthing center, I can't imagine a hospital would be willing to incur any liability from midwives who aren't even RN's at the bare minimum. That just seems like a lawsuit waiting to happen. My guess is Jill would have to be admitted through the ER and then go from there. I don't have a medical background though, so it's pure speculation on my part.

• Love 1

Do midwives have access to all of the same equipment as a hospital does?

The short answer is no.  Midwives are much more limited in what they can do than an MD is.  Nurse-midwives can do more than lay midwives.  The type midwife that Jill would have in Arkansas can not prescribe/use drugs or perform surgery.  I'm not sure if they are even allowed to carry oxygen or not.  The choice to use a midwife is Arkansas is a choice for an unmedicated pretty much completely "natural" birth.  It's one step above the basically unassisted births that Anna did with her first two.  

• Love 1

I will say something controversial here, and say that most of the time, the reasons for why American women have C-sections are not life threatening for either the woman or the baby, not are they likely to lead to long term repercussions. I say this because we can look at women who have similar birthing patterns in Western countries across the world and have similar situations arise and there is no resulting fetal demise, mother mortality, etc, or increased rates in issues such as cerebral palsy or other issues stemming from a botched delivery.

That said, if a woman has had a C-section, they are done so often and so well in the United States that comparing them to the same surgery in these other countries is also comparing apples to oranges. No woman should ever second guess her birthing method, as US methods cannot compare to anyone else's in the world's as well, we are one of the largest, most culturally, socio-economically, ethically etc diverse countries and the way we practice medicine is "a little but different, but somehow we make it all work" meaning that if you receive basic prenatal care, and are reasonable about your birthing plans, you will almost certainly have an excellent chance of a healthy pregnancy.

Which is why I don't get too bent out of shape about Jill having a home birth with only a friend to help, but recognize that at some point, she will likely need hospital care, if she has enough children. That's just how the odds play out.

• Love 2

I have no problems with home births, if that's your thing. It's not mine. I think we're speculating possible C-section for Jill because of the size of Dilly. Granted he could end up being 7 pounds but what would happen if he is big & gets stuck in the birth canal? Hopefully things will go well & Jill's midwife has some sort of contingency plan in place with an OB and hospital. I'm also hoping with Derick's & possibly Cathy's input & her own training, Jill realizes that if something does go wrong, she will need outside help & not just leave it up to the good Lord.

I'm hoping Michelle goes off the deep end on camera during the birth. Eye daggers, crazy bug eyes, the voice, looking both jealous and like she'd rather be anywhere else. Jill's dislike of pain might lead her to say...not nice things to her mother, or sisters.

Personally, I would love to see Jilly Muffin curse out J'chelle. I doubt that TLC would dare to piss the Duggars off by showing that the princess has a mean side, though. But I would love to see Mullet's face if someone told her to shut up, just once.

• Love 5

Personally, I would love to see Jilly Muffin curse out J'chelle. I doubt that TLC would dare to piss the Duggars off by showing that the princess has a mean side, though. But I would love to see Mullet's face if someone told her to shut up, just once.

Yep, I'd actually buy a ticket to see that myself...

I have no problems with home births, if that's your thing. It's not mine. I think we're speculating possible C-section for Jill because of the size of Dilly. Granted he could end up being 7 pounds but what would happen if he is big & gets stuck in the birth canal? Hopefully things will go well & Jill's midwife has some sort of contingency plan in place with an OB and hospital. I'm also hoping with Derick's & possibly Cathy's input & her own training, Jill realizes that if something does go wrong, she will need outside help & not just leave it up to the good Lord.

But... but... isn't it's God's will if something goes wrong??

• Love 1

Wow, I just couldn't read through this many posts to see if I am being repetitive. I cannot stand how Jill and Derrick hold hands 24/7. I feel like I am suffocating when I watch them. Today I watched a repeat where Jill picked Derrick up (James was in the back) and she immediately reached for his hand. God, if my husband was doing that with me all the time, I'd scream. It reminded me of Josh and Anna, though I have to view Anna reaching for Josh's hand all the time as a bit desperate now. Is it my imagination, or has the bloom come of the marriage 'rose' for Josh. He doesn't look like he feels getting married, to finally have sex, was worth it. As well, he is so condescending towards Anne now that she's had a few kids. He doesn't seem to care.

• Love 3

Wow, I just couldn't read through this many posts to see if I am being repetitive. I cannot stand how Jill and Derrick hold hands 24/7. I feel like I am suffocating when I watch them. Today I watched a repeat where Jill picked Derrick up (James was in the back) and she immediately reached for his hand. God, if my husband was doing that with me all the time, I'd scream. It reminded me of Josh and Anna, though I have to view Anna reaching for Josh's hand all the time as a bit desperate now. Is it my imagination, or has the bloom come of the marriage 'rose' for Josh. He doesn't look like he feels getting married, to finally have sex, was worth it. As well, he is so condescending towards Anne now that she's had a few kids. He doesn't seem to care.

The hand holding seems so childish, because that's how kids behave for their first crush. I'm not even going to insult high schoolers, because the constant hand holding reminds me more of the preschoolers I used to work with and how they behaved about their "boyfriends." I know Derick probably hasn't left that many broken hearts in his wake, but I feel like he has to be at least a little bit embarrassed that his wife is so immature.

• Love 5

Derick is not being forced to hold Jill's hand. He can drop it at any time. I don't really find Derick that mature.

Agree. I'm starting to feel that Jill is at about 15 on the Emotional Mature Meter - and Derick is not much higher. Maybe 18 at best. Most of his lead, IMO, is only because he attended college away from home - and went to Nepal for 2 years.

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 2

Geez, I hate to weigh-in on the home birth thing.  But I'm a medical malpractice lawyer.  And compromised babies, from poorly managed deliveries, cost doctors and hospitals bajillions of dollars.  The vast majority of babies are born perfectly healthy. The fact a 3 year old can help his mom deliver a baby at home alone with some coaching on the phone from the 911 operator tells us that evolution designed women's bodies to deliver babies without intervention or assistance.  But when something goes wrong, it can go wrong very quickly. The gold standard has traditionally been "30 minutes from decision to incision".  That means once it is recognized that something is amiss (normally the baby's heart rate), the OB should be cutting into the abdomen to deliver the baby within 30 minutes. And every second sooner than that reduces the chances of the child being severely handicapped.  No way does Jill get from her house to an operating room in 30 minutes if she needs to.

• Love 23

I was born at home. My mom had no choice since there is no hospitaL in our tiny little town. It's been done for centuries.

With that being said if you have insurance and are near a hospital why would you not take advantage of it? I wouldn't want a home birth with everyone there. Yuck no thanks.

• Love 4
Strangely enough episiotomies are worse for mom than tears. Straight cuts are easier to sew and that's why doctors usually do them.  That it will prevent a tear is just talk. I found out when I had to have surgery to repair an episiotomy scar.  The solution was to let it tear in the next delivery.  That's when the OB explained how the tear would heal faster and less painfully and he was certainly right.

Wow, I will take your word on this. Seems counter- intuitive, though.

Not to be overly graphic but a midwife friend of mine once demonstrated it to me very memorably this way: Take a piece of paper. Grab it by both ends and pull straight left and right - it's fairly hard to rip. Now make a single, one-inch cut at the top of that piece of paper and try pulling again from the sides of the paper. Pulls right apart now, doesn't it? An episiotomy can actually make the situation worse. Tearing is the better alternative most of the time. It convinced me. Memorably. My lady parts winced.

• Love 10

Geez, I hate to weigh-in on the home birth thing.  But I'm a medical malpractice lawyer.  And compromised babies, from poorly managed deliveries, cost doctors and hospitals bajillions of dollars.  The vast majority of babies are born perfectly healthy. The fact a 3 year old can help his mom deliver a baby at home alone with some coaching on the phone from the 911 operator tells us that evolution designed women's bodies to deliver babies without intervention or assistance.  But when something goes wrong, it can go wrong very quickly. The gold standard has traditionally been "30 minutes from decision to incision".  That means once it is recognized that something is amiss (normally the baby's heart rate), the OB should be cutting into the abdomen to deliver the baby within 30 minutes. And every second sooner than that reduces the chances of the child being severely handicapped.  No way does Jill get from her house to an operating room in 30 minutes if she needs to.

Thanks for posting this- very informative. Luckily, my OB's "decision to incision" was about 5 minutes to whisk me to the OR, grab the anesthesiologist & calling for a pediatrician for the delivery of my son because of a rapidly decreasing heartbeat. Luckily, everything turned out fine & there are many times including every one of his 25 birthdays, I thank God it did. I can't imagine having to go through life playing "what if" scenarios if it hadn't.

I don't mean to go on about my personal experience but this is a subject that is obviously very dear to my heart & I wanted to share it.

• Love 10

Not to be overly graphic but a midwife friend of mine once demonstrated it to me very memorably this way: Take a piece of paper. Grab it by both ends and pull straight left and right - it's fairly hard to rip. Now make a single, one-inch cut at the top of that piece of paper and try pulling again from the sides of the paper. Pulls right apart now, doesn't it? An episiotomy can actually make the situation worse. Tearing is the better alternative most of the time. It convinced me. Memorably. My lady parts winced.

You're right - makes absolute sense.

I'm beginning to think that in addition to following in his father's footsteps, what Derick liked about being Pistol Pete was the ability to be anonymous in a character the hid him away completely but still allowed him to be part of the crowd and excitement.

• Love 6

I wonder if she thinks it'll look bad if she, as a midwife in training, would go to the hospital. Maybe she feels it would be disloyal especially to that midwife she always works with and the babies she's delivered. I can get that. Be like if I worked as a waiter at one restaurant and went to have dinner at its competitor across the street.

That wouldn't look bad, or be insulting to her colleagues in the least.  Plenty of home birth or birth center clients transfer to hospitals for epidurals, medication, c sections, pitocin, or whatever is needed- it's not looked at as a failure or something to avoid if it's needed.  Home birth, midwifery, or natural birth has nothing to do with avoiding medical intervention at all costs.  It's basically the opposite:  Applying medical interventions only when they ARE needed and helpful, not indiscriminately to all women, even those who DON'T need them, which is what causes many of the birth complications that you hear about, and the US's abysmal maternal and infant mortality rates.  

Baby's size doesn't have a whole lot to do with it.  Plenty of women have 9, 10, 11, + pound babies at home, birth centers, or hospitals, vaginally, with or without epidurals.  Sometimes quite quickly and easily without tears.  Being flat on your back in bed to labor and push rather than being up, mobile, and in whatever comfortable position you need to be in has a lot to do with whether the baby is in a good position to be born vaginally.  So I'm not too worried about Jill's size- she'll have constant support and in-person, hands-on, continual monitoring, which you don't get at a hospital.  She'll have the ability to eat, drink, move, and be in an intimate, familiar setting throughout, which all bodes well for her and her baby :)

You can have home births in Maryland with midwives, as I and many families across the state have.  We also have birth centers that coordinate closely with hospitals when needed.  So Anna should be fine in finding whatever options meet her needs.  All 50 states have CNM's, certified nurse midwives.  About 28 states lisence CPM's- Virginia is one of them.  Midwives don't do epidurals, but work along with doctors and nurse anesthetists who do when it's needed.  

• Love 4

Derick is not being forced to hold Jill's hand.

In a way he IS being forced as Derrick wouldn't want to publicly embarrass Jill by dropping her hand. Just as Michelle forces an embarrassed chuckle whenever JB makes an inappropriate joke. When cameras are off Derrick may say, "That's enough of that" and Michelle may say, "Quit embarrassing me with those ridiculous jokes".

• Love 2

Let's put it this way - Derick doesn't look like he's dropping Jill's hand the moment the cameras are off of him. I think the guy is overwhelmed, but he's also clearly in love with being in love, even if he's a little caught off guard about how quickly that brought about an all too real life.

• Love 3

Any bets as to how long derickdillard will continue to work for WalMart? I didn't think this gig was good idea for him if he was going to marry in to this family and bring the spotlight on himself, the Duggars and his relationship with his employer. I also think Jill isn't the happiest of campers that her "hubby" has to leave her for those awfully,long, hard hours of separation in which she has to endure without him in front of her eyes... He can always work at/from home like Pops, right? I don't think Cathy is happy with this, as his livelihood is what he went to the all heathen college for in the first place...the guy needs his career, Jill.

All that girl did last night on their TH segments, was laugh and giggle. I see someone passed the word on to her to quit interrupting derickdillard every chance she got. I also see it's not an easy thing for her to let the guy speak and finish his sentences, but she's trying.

I wasn't impressed AT ALL with Derick's chaperoning abilities and attitude. I think if the couple, who are legal adults want to break their courthship rules, it's their business..if it's their choice in the first place, the chaperones have no real authority ...but it's the parents' rules that are in place and the all mighty parents give those chaperones their muscle...

These two kids, (Jerick), have absolutely nothing to draw on in advice giving...they, themselves are married mere weeks in these episodes this season and have absolutely nothing to offer yet. I really didn't like them very much last night. Hope I'm wrong.

• Love 6

I don't see any indication at all that Derick has plans to leave WalMart outside of internet chatterers like us. If anything, he will want to emulate Jim Bob and be able to care for his wife long term and spend time with ALL of his children once they are born - which means earning up as much money as he can now and banking it so he can retire as early as possible. Also, he is a young man who is fully aware that parents can die young. He will want to leave Jill fully supported. He won't leave for short term gain over a long term plan, assuming that they do, in fact, plan to have a large family.

• Love 1

I just skimmed an article about Kate Middleton and her 8 month pregnancy and wow what a difference between hers and Jill's bumps! Are we sure Jill isn't carrying twins? Because she's enormous compared to Kate. I really have no idea how big is normal but there is such a great difference between them it makes me start wondering. Does your level of fitness affect how big your belly looks while pregnant? Like I can't imagine Jill being very fit, just skinny, while Kate Middleton looks extremely fit and compact. Maybe her core muscles are holding the baby in more?

Sorry it's the Daily Fail, but here it is:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3000256/Stepping-style-Pregnant-Kate-shines-35-polka-dot-maternity-dress-meets-children-London.html

• Love 2

I just skimmed an article about Kate Middleton and her 8 month pregnancy and wow what a difference between hers and Jill's bumps! Are we sure Jill isn't carrying twins? Because she's enormous compared to Kate. I really have no idea how big is normal but there is such a great difference between them it makes me start wondering. Does your level of fitness affect how big your belly looks while pregnant? Like I can't imagine Jill being very fit, just skinny, while Kate Middleton looks extremely fit and compact. Maybe her core muscles are holding the baby in more?

Sorry it's the Daily Fail, but here it is:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3000256/Stepping-style-Pregnant-Kate-shines-35-polka-dot-maternity-dress-meets-children-London.html

Interesting. I think Kate is a bit taller, and her diet is probably more strict, because she's held to such high standards. She might be exercising a lot, too. Jill may be eating better than she did at TT, but Kate has a lot more resources and a private chef on hand. Kate is also not due until next month - maybe she'll get a lot bigger (I doubt it though).

Between all of the above plus genetics, it's hard to predict, I guess. I'm curious to see how the other Duggar girls carry as opposed to Jill.

EDIT: I've never been pregnant, obviously :) But I do wonder if core muscles like you mentioned affect the way women carry. Pretty sure I read Kate has always been on a strict exercise regimen.

Edited by EarlGreyTea

There really isn't a definite reason why some women carry " big" and some "small". Or, there are lots of reasons that may or may not have anything to do with the baby or the mother - sometimes it just is what it is.

• Love 4

Some is actual size, some mother's height, some baby position, and some is posture and clothing choice along with core musculature.  Kate would look more like Jill in ill-fitting stretched out tee shirts.  Jill would look more like Kate in a properly fitting patterned maternity dress that distracts the eyes.  Also different pregnancies carry differently in the same woman.  

• Love 1

I remember when I was 8 months pregnant and some man, a complete stranger waiting to pick up his food at a Chinese take-out, was astounded that my due date was so far away. Wasn't I going to pop? It upset me so much I mentioned it to the OB who asked, "Where did he get his medical degree?" I was fine, well within parameters and I shouldn't listen to strangers who aren't following my progress. It still rankles, 12 years later. I looked as big as Jill, and it wasn't considered indicative of anything other than being pregnant. And considering it was late July I was wearing a voluminous dress trying unsuccessfully to keep  to keep cool, so it wasn't that I was wearing something too tight showing off my popped out belly button. It's just the way things work out. Some are big, some are tiny, and we have no control over it.

• Love 6

I remember when I was 8 months pregnant and some man, a complete stranger waiting to pick up his food at a Chinese take-out, was astounded that my due date was so far away. Wasn't I going to pop? It upset me so much I mentioned it to the OB who asked, "Where did he get his medical degree?" I was fine, well within parameters and I shouldn't listen to strangers who aren't following my progress. It still rankles, 12 years later. I looked as big as Jill, and it wasn't considered indicative of anything other than being pregnant. And considering it was late July I was wearing a voluminous dress trying unsuccessfully to keep  to keep cool, so it wasn't that I was wearing something too tight showing off my popped out belly button. It's just the way things work out. Some are big, some are tiny, and we have no control over it.

I apologize. I wouldn't want others speculating on my belly either. I think Jill looks pretty good...if only she'd cut her hair a bit shorter.  :)  She looked great in last night's episode with her hair pulled back in that hat.

• Love 1

I have 5 children and I have carried them all differently. My second being the biggest and most uncomfortable. They were all between 9 and 10 pounds so it's not like one was teeny and another was a giant.

Considering how often she'll most likely be pregnant, jill should really consider buying a couple of flattering maternity dresses. No one expects her to have Kate Middleton's style, but those ugly tight tee shirts over mismatched floor length skirts are hideous. Someone should remind her she's on tv and in the public eye and could, with minimal effort, look much more presentable.

• Love 3

I'm not sure Jill cares all that much. She didn't have much of a style aesthetic when she was single, other than the help she got from her sisters when she was dating/courting Derick. I doubt very much that she'll ever be fairly put together. And as more children come I think we'll see Jill getting more and more practical in her appearance. I'm not saying she'll let herself go, just that her best looks will soon be behind her once she has a few kids under her belt and she will carry on much like Michelle.

• Love 4

That seems to be more Jessa's thing.

Other than the flower in her hair, and the emerald necklace Derrick got her, Jill has never seemed to want to be a style maven.

After all, raising all those kids takes practical clothes.

Wow 99 pages on these 2 in a year.  We went from hopeful to bummed out in that time too.  Re: Jill's clothes and PG T-shirts, one would think Derrick would get rather tired of it pretty quick.  Since she is on TV I think she has some obligation to look presentable, and she doesn't.  That's her job too, and she should try not to disgust the viewers.  There are sure going to be ton of pregnant women to be looking at so I think a lot of us will bail pretty soon.  I don't think Derrick will bail in body, but in spirit, she may kill him.  

• Love 1

Please let Baby Dilly be born this week. If he comes on their 9 month anniversary, that'd be funny. We don't need an "All About Jessa" snoozefest. People are speculating that the baby is already born, but they haven't announced it yet. Yeah, right.

It's the way Jill and Derrick hold hands that's awkward, to me. They bend their arms at the elbow and keep them bent, while walking, it's weird, lol.

I completely agree with you. I call it hand porn!!!