Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

I'm hoping that once the honeymoon period ends, Derick will begin to reclaim his normalcy and Jill will begin to assimilate his relatively mainstream ways.

Well, he's already taken some baby steps in telling her that she doesn't have to shout at him, like she does back at the Duggar homestead. Unfortunately for Derick, after she pops out a few more Dilly's, the shouting will probably come back out of necessity.

In regards to Jill not being mentally ill like Michelle, I think that Michelle WAS "normal" at one time. She took birth control, and before that, dated and wore pants and shorts. Wasn't it somewhere after Baby#5 (Jessa), that the bottom dropped out and Michelle lost her cookies? My fear is that Anna and Jill are headed there. And they were never allowed to be mainstream like Michelle was. This life is all they know.  I was just hoping that Jill would be a little more like the Bates girls. Branch out. Buy some pants. Track pants are nice and comfy (and we know that one of your sisters has indulged in a pair). 

but maybe I just know some dowdy people?

I was thinking the same thing.

That one tunic looking thing she posted on facebook was pretty awful, but most of the pregnant women I know only "dress" in fancy maternity clothes for baby showers or work.  Going to a basketball game?  They'd look like Jill.  But possibly in jeans.

As for why I think Jill gets judged harsher than Alyssa Bates.  The Bates family doesn't seem as big on preaching to others about their lifestyle choices. They seem to be more internal (this is how we operate, feel free to watch our TV show if you want to gawk at our lifestyle) than the Duggar family making it an external thing (we are better than other people because we do this). The speeches and books make the Duggars a lot more ripe for criticism.  That's my impression.

Edited by Skittl1321
  • Love 6

I was thinking the same thing.

That one tunic looking thing she posted on facebook was pretty awful, but most of the pregnant women I know only "dress" in fancy maternity clothes for baby showers or work. Going to a basketball game? They'd look like Jill. But possibly in jeans.

As for why I think Jill gets judged harsher than Alyssa Bates. The Bates family doesn't seem as big on preaching to others about their lifestyle choices. They seem to be more internal (this is how we operate, feel free to watch our TV show if you want to gawk at our lifestyle) than the Duggar family making it an external thing (we are better than other people because we do this). The speeches and books make the Duggars a lot more ripe for criticism. That's my impression.

Exactly. With the Duggars, on EVERY episode (or it seems that way) we have a TH of one of them explaining their modesty beliefs. Last week we even had the producer asking 2 of the little girls what modesty means. That in addition to either Boob or MEchelle explaining the "being covered from their necks to their knees" in case we don't already know what their standards are. Edited by Barb23
  • Love 2

Good point about the Duggar modesty manual stating that the attention should be brought up to their face. I think Jill has been failing here; as those overly tight spandex shirts she wears and her carrying so largely, brings attention to her expectant abdomen, NOT her face in the least. I also believe that this is not modest,, especially for them because it screams" look, I had sex"...In that stupid TLC 19K publicity photo of the Dillards with the Seewalds that blackboard says "I Do" for Jessa, Jill's blackboard should read: 'I Did"!

• Love 2

I don't mind the discussion of the Duggar modesty rules and Jill's conformity to or lack thereof.  However, I think the issue of whether the shirt or skirt is too tight, from a fashion standpoint a) has been beaten to death; there's nothing new to add really; and b) is kinda silly in the first place; everyone will have different opinions.  Just cause someone doesn't dress like you would doesn't mean they don't care about their appearance.  So let's move off of that subject.  Please and thank you.

• Love 10

Why is Derick dressed as a mascot? Is that a part time job or does colleges offer guest people to dress up from time to time?

I'm glad Jill (and Jessa) is interested In sports. I just wished it was broadcasted on the show at all, because first they say they don't like it but now the family does? Jill and derick took James so several basketball games last year when they were still courting and if JB was so against it then James wouldn't have gone.

He actually was Pistol Pete when he was in school there as was his father before him. 

I wonder what Derrick will think when he sees Jill PMS for the first time. 

lol, he's never experienced that has he. I had a honeymoon baby, too. But my DH already knew my moods all too well. 

• Love 1

What does Derrick do for work?  Their house looks amazing for a single income couple to afford.  Of course I know real estate prices and how much you get for your money differs across the US.  That house would be $800k + in my neck of the woods!

I believe Derick works for WalMart in the accounting department. JB owns the house Jill and Derick live in. They are suppose to be housesitting until it sells, but I am sure JB cancel that agreement once Baby Dilly was announced.

Welcome.  Derrick works as an accountant for the headquarters of Walmart.  Jill drives him to work each morning, often shows up to have lunch with him at the office, and returns to drive him home in the evening.  In the meantime she spends a lot of time with her family and often has younger siblings over to spend the night.  She's been photographed a couple of times standing over Derrick when he works out at the gym. 

When Derrick's work buddies held a baby-warming party for them, almost all of Jill's family also showed up, and I dearly hope they were invited and didn't just arrive on their own.  Regardless, the only published pictures of that event were of Jill, Derrick, and her intrusive family posing for pictures with the baby gifts.

The house they live in is owned by Jill's father (JB) and there was an episode that featured many of Jill's siblings cleaning out the house, as it was a repo and the previous owners/tenants left it dirty and full of garbage.  The house sat empty until Jill and hubby moved in, although I think some improvements were done in the meantime.

Edited by Zahdii
  • Love 4

How can Jim Bob's mcmansion sell when it has been taken off the market? I think he will "allow" Jilly and derickdillard to live in it as long as THEY want to or need to; I'm pretty sure they are taking care of the taxes and insurance in lieu of traditional rent. Somehow,, this is lucrative for her father, otherwise the guy would have NOT offered. Also, the other house that JessaBlessa is living in belongs to Grandma, so I'm sure Jim Bob has made her responsible for the renovations, with TLC paying for what they filmed. He does want to help his mother out with those expenses, courtesy of TLC, of course.

Since the Dillards are a two generation Pistol Pete family, I would imagine that derrickdillard would want his son educationally prepared to attend that university and perhaps continue the tradition? That would leave Jilly's homeschooling curriculum out...that kid should attend some type of real school from the start IMO. Also, since derickdillard WAS a Pistol Pete, attended games and "danced" when they scored, etc, to excite the crowd, does he feel that was sinful as he married in to a family's belief system that believed or believes those things...they need to clarify where they all stand on such things at this time....I'd love to hear it.

• Love 1

A lot of things people complain about are due to the way Michelle and Jim Bob raised them. Kinda hard to judge Jill and Jessa for the way they were raised. I see Jill AND Jessa changing a LOT. Others do not, and that's ok.

Edited by Jellybeans
  • Love 5
Eh, Jill's clothing is the least of her problems.

Agreed.  Doesn't she want to do something about her face and hair?  Yikes.  What does she do all day?  She looks like she's been living out on the streets during a harsh winter or something.

• Love 1

Ummm....Jill looks fine here.  Nothing wrong with her face and her hair is brushed.  I have to say Jill is all baby.  It doesn't look like she's gained much anywhere else.  Picture is from Jill and Derick's FB fanpage. 

11008534_1026349514059983_55561455853668

• Love 4

Here's my one question about Jill wearing Derrick's clothing: 

The Duggar girls do not wear pants, because they believe skirts are more modest and bc of their interpretation of an Old Testament Bible verse that says men should dress like men and women like women. Deuteronomy 22:5 "A woman shall not wear man's clothing, nor shall a man put on a woman's clothing; for whoever does these things is an abomination to the LORD your God."

They don't even believe that women can wear modestly cut women's pants made specifically for women (say, sweatpants or overalls bc nothing is farther from Nike than those items LOL). So...............why is it ok for Jill to wear Derrick's clothing? He's a man who wears men's styles and items purchased from the men's department. 

• Love 1

I'd think a) overall, does the person look like they are emulating the opposite sex by clothing style and b) is there a reasonable alternative

Some people bring up robes that were worn in Jesus' day. Since men typically do not wear those anymore in American culture, it isnt what is relevant. The point to them, I think, is women should be noticeable to society as women and men as men. Now, jeans and pants are very common for women, but it's just not preferred in Fundamentalist churches or allowed in lots of families because still today, for example, look at many restroom signs. A quick way to see men's v women's respective bathrooms are the skirt v pants symbols. Ski pants or safety wear is different BC there's often not a reasonable alternative to staying warm and modest.

Just my understanding of what they might think. Not saying it's right that they do or that they've said these things.

• Love 2

I just think that it is strange that in a house of girls with long hair they don't seem to have treatments or good conditioner.  Jessa and Jill always seem to have hair that looks a bit limp but it could be just me.  BTW, I call bull on the whole "All the girls just like having long hair!" line.  Don't try and tell me that none of those nine girls has ever wanted a nice shoulder-length hair cut.  

I think that it's good for Jill to branch out and try some pants on.   She'll be running around after at least one toddler in the next few years and I would imagine that it will be easier in trackies rather than full-length skirts.  I think that she is testing the boundaries of what is appropriate (for her and Derrick anyway) and that, hopefully, she might begin to drink a little less kool-aid. 

I'm hoping that once the honeymoon period ends, Derick will begin to reclaim his normalcy and Jill will begin to assimilate his relatively mainstream ways.

I doubt it, because it seems as if she "wears the pants" in that relationship.   Jill should be cited for not keeping both hands on the steering wheel while driving.  It’s hard to be an alert driver when you are holding hands with a passenger.   I can’t wait to see if while giving birth, she is accorded the same humiliating treatment as poor Anna.

• Love 2

The only way I see Jill wearing pants around the house is if there's a skirt over them. I agree she would be more comfortable chasing kids around in a pair of sweats. (I was going to add yoga pants, but they would be much too tight.) We were all hoping for a "Cathy makeover" when she first got married but that didn't seem to happen.

• Love 1

Maybe Jill likes how she looks. I like how she looks. She looks like your everyday pregnant mother to be. Her hair is fine. Derick and Jill seem to be a good match. I am not going to wish a lifetime of unhappiness on them.

Edited by Jellybeans
  • Love 8

Good point about the Duggar modesty manual stating that the attention should be brought up to their face. I think Jill has been failing here; as those overly tight spandex shirts she wears and her carrying so largely, brings attention to her expectant abdomen, NOT her face in the least. I also believe that this is not modest,, especially for them because it screams" look, I had sex"...In that stupid TLC 19K publicity photo of the Dillards with the Seewalds that blackboard says "I Do" for Jessa, Jill's blackboard should read: 'I Did"!

It occurs to me that the Duggars insist on modesty in every instance except one - when "immodesty" - as it is to them - shows that the woman is pregnant - which as we all know is the be-all and end-all of their existence.

Jill looks normal and I agree that she and Derrick seem to be a good match.  I hope that as she begins to start her own family, she and Derrick make decisions that work for them.  And if that is sticking with the Duggar model in regards to modesty and child raising, that's fine.  But equally, if she wants to think about wearing track-pants at home or considering maybe sending their kids to college, that would be fine too.  

Whatever their plans, I hope that they live the way they chose, not the way that they feel that they have to.  

• Love 4

Maybe Jill likes how she looks. I like how she looks. She looks like your everyday pregnant mother to be. Her hair is fine. Derick and Jill seem to be a good match. I am not going to wish a lifetime of unhappiness on them.

ITA. For some reason I really like these two. I like that Derrick has a formal education, he is more worldly than Jill. She can learn from him if she is willing to. They respect each other and appreciate each other. Of course this is all new, but I think it's for real.

Jill certainly inherited the super duper fertility gene. No problem getting pregnant there!

Oh,and I would kill for any of those girls hair. When they put just a little effort into using a curling iron or some hot rollers, it looks beautiful. Wish I was so lucky. I could never grow my hair that long.  

• Love 1

I couldn't understand 95% of what Jordyn was saying; Josie not much more...Joy Anna seemed to be back to that lispy, blurry sounding pronunciation...don't understand that. I also find the photo of Jordyn "looking like Jill" to be not appropriate...these people preach modesty to the hilt, and that's just not modest for anyone to do. It's referencing sex,, sorry, but it is. that's how that kid got in there in the first place....Jill is not a broken coffee pot as my mother would say...

I'd think a) overall, does the person look like they are emulating the opposite sex by clothing style and b) is there a reasonable alternative

Some people bring up robes that were worn in Jesus' day. Since men typically do not wear those anymore in American culture, it isnt what is relevant. The point to them, I think, is women should be noticeable to society as women and men as men. Now, jeans and pants are very common for women, but it's just not preferred in Fundamentalist churches or allowed in lots of families because still today, for example, look at many restroom signs. A quick way to see men's v women's respective bathrooms are the skirt v pants symbols. Ski pants or safety wear is different BC there's often not a reasonable alternative to staying warm and modest.

Just my understanding of what they might think. Not saying it's right that they do or that they've said these things.

Yes, I understand the whole 'OT people wore robes, so keep relevant with the times,' BUT it is relevant with the times for women to wear modest women's pants that are made for specifically for women. Jill's not doing that. She's straight up wearing men's clothing made for men. It's modest, but it is for men.

Skirts represent women, pants men, on doors OK. I really don't think anyone is going to mistake Jill in Derrick's shirt as a woman in drag, but IMO this also means no one is going to mistake her for a man if she wears pants. 

Also, they've shown Josh and Anna skiing with the kids (I know Anna isn't Jill), and she looked like she was going to break her neck, because she was trying to ski in a skirt over top of ski pants. That blows any safety concern out of the water. She was making it more dangerous by restricting movement with that skirt. Also, if modesty is covering parts that aren't the face and not drawing attention to yourself, few things are going to draw more attention on a ski slope than a woman falling down bc she's wearing a skirt. 

Everyone can interpret that specific scripture differently, and honestly, that's a personal decision and I support anyone who does/doesn't wear pants, if it's a heartfelt decision and they're not bullying anyone else. However, Jill in Derrick's clothing is just another example of 1) Duggars preaching at the world and then bending rules to whatever they please to suit themselves, and 2) Jill being flamboyantly immodest and showing off that she's has a husband and a big pregnant belly, so she's Super Special. That's not modest. That's bragging (over something that most of the world experiences at some point - marriage and kids).

• Love 3

Well, today's the big day! I picked February 27th in the pool... We'll see!

We can only imagine TLC's focus on the Blessed Event. Hopefully, Jill learned a little something from her sister-in-law and has already talked with the crew about what they are and are not allowed to film.

I just really really hope that Derick will put his foot down and refuse access to the TLC crew altogether. Your wife giving birth to your first child (or any child) should be an intensely private moment, not something flaunted on television for all the world to see.

• Love 1

I just really really hope that Derick will put his foot down and refuse access to the TLC crew altogether. Your wife giving birth to your first child (or any child) should be an intensely private moment, not something flaunted on television for all the world to see.

I think most, if not all of us agree. Unfortunately, the Duggars do not. TLC has probably already installed the lighting, cameras, etc. they will need to film the Blessed Event at the Dillards.

• Love 1

I just don't think that Jim Bob will allow Jill to be presented immodestly during Baby Dilly's birth. I suspect he has the final word on the family image and will protect his little Jilly. Derrick will be relieved because he knows how low the Duggars will stoop to fame whore. I also think Josh won't agree to compromise Anna again on camera but won't place a bet on that one.

You would think so, but that family has sold their souls to TLC, People, etc, so nothing surprises me.

• Love 2

According to the OSU post on their the jillard's facebook Dan was just baptized. Hope he doesn't go fundie! being a 'christian' is probably the only way he'll be allowed to associate with the DillardDruggars in the future.

We also enjoyed visiting Derick's brother, Dan the following day at his church for his baptism! So happy for you Dan!

Edited by JoanArc
  • Love 1

I just don't think that Jim Bob will allow Jill to be presented immodestly during Baby Dilly's birth. I suspect he has the final word on the family image and will protect his little Jilly. Derrick will be relieved because he knows how low the Duggars will stoop to fame whore. I also think Josh won't agree to compromise Anna again on camera but won't place a bet on that one.

I'm thinking the opposite. How can Boob be concerned about Jill's modesty, when all this man references is sex & procreation? Plus I'm sure the birth would be televised as a separate Special Event which will draw plenty of viewers. The more viewers, the more $$ in Boob's pocket or if they do have a separate contract, the Dillards pocket.

• Love 1

OK Jill, quit dilly dallying around and have that blessed miracle today.  It's the day I picked.  If it doesn't come today I only have the height (I guess if I was lying down and somebody measured be it would be called length, like babies) poundage and name categories left.

• Love 1

Fourth of July fireworks will bring Dilly2's grand announcement that he/she is on the way....Since poor derickdillard has known "such ecstasy" for such a short time, JillyMuffin delivering her baby muffin top end of March, brings abstinence period after delivering the all holy male child, and remembering that practice makes babies; I think there will be nothing holding poor derickdillard back...Jill can't say "no", so there's nothing holding Jilly from hitting the mattress..somehow, I don't think nursing will render her temporarily barren...it happened to her mother, didn't it?

Anyone else think it's surprising that Dan just now got baptized? I know in certain faiths when YOU choose to receive the faith, not when the parents decide for you that you will be x religion at birth. It's just that Derick and Cathy seem religious enough that I assumed he would have felt family pressure to receive the faith as a teen at the latest.

Anyone know if the Dillards or Duggars do godparents? I wonder if Derick wants Dan as godfather to baby Dilly and Jill decided it would only be acceptable if Dan was a Christian first?

Re his coworkers -- I'm sure some to snicker or roll their eyes at the guy who met his wife less than one yr ago, didn't actually date her - just married her and got her pregnant 2 days later and now said wife texts him all day long and when she doesn't it's bc she's driving him to or from work or having lunch with him. But keep in mind -- these people have known him for all of one yr; it's unlikely that he has the deep friendships at work that develop from years of working with the same people. So they really are ONLY coworkers, and while they may snicker - they probably don't care about him that much. Plus this is a company in the conservative south and Derick is like 25-26 yrs old; in these places it isn't odd to marry your college sweetheart a month after graduation and have 2 kids by 26, so while Derick's courtship process and clingy wife may stand out -- it's not weird that he's married with a baby coming.

• Love 1