Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

I watched the trailer for the upcoming Amazon series about IBLP and Jill and Derrick are shown being interviewed. She was far along in her pregnancy, so their segment at least was filmed a while ago. I am interested to see what she has to say and if anything she has to add will be a new revelation to us.

• Like 13
8 minutes ago, lascuba said:

The Holts are in it as well. I'll try to keep an open mind, but featuring former-IBLP-but-still-fundie people is...not the direction I thought this would go. 

THAT's who that couple is who looked so familiar. I recognized some Bateses as well. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, lascuba said:

The Holts are in it as well. I'll try to keep an open mind, but featuring former-IBLP-but-still-fundie people is...not the direction I thought this would go. 

Former? Gil and JB are still in, aren’t they?

12 minutes ago, AstridM said:

Former? Gil and JB are still in, aren’t they?

The Holts are shown speaking against IBLP. That's what I meant. It's really weird to me to feature people that are still very cultish to talk about the evils of their old cult.

• Like 7
(edited)
On 4/21/2023 at 7:57 PM, Madtown said:

This is why I was floored when she announced she was pregnant again. I thought that both boys would be in school and maybe she would be able to volunteer somewhere. Hell, she could've worked in the thrift store she and Amy are constantly shopping at.
I truly think Jill is afraid to be at home by herself. Look how many times she went to see Derick at Walmart before Izzy was born. There was no way she was going to be able to go to the courthouse or wherever Derick is working and sit with him all day till the boys were out of school.
I'm hoping maybe they are doing online school(thought something was mentioned here about this option). She sucked at homeschooling Izzy or at least trying to teach him basics and she was completely overwhelmed with it when Sam was born.
It's so sad that they were brought up in such a hateful home where going to school was shamed upon. The only friends they had were their siblings. It amazes me that none of these people want better for their kids. They can't get past that not everything taught in school is evil.
I'm the youngest of 3, I was in the same school with my oldest sibling for a year and 2 years with my middle sibling. My mom survived with us going to different schools. Though she didn't take us, we had one car. We walked to school(We were a couple blocks from the elementry school). Middle school and high school, we either took  the city bus or walked. Yes, it was a much different time, but making a point. It's disheartening to witness a situation where someone's educational opportunities are hindered due to various circumstances. While it's important to acknowledge the challenges faced by Jill and her children, it's crucial to approach the topic with empathy and understanding. This platform offers a collection of free essay examples that delve into the profound question of life's purpose and the impact of helping others. I usually use https://samplius.com/free-essay-examples/purpose-of-life-is-helping-others/ because this source already many times helped me with college and from here I managed to develop quite well, besides I think this source could help this series to become more understandable, because I find it hard to watch, and after doing some writing it becomes clearer.

By the way, this cleared up a lot for me from the last series)))

Edited by ireneemace
  • Useful 1
19 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

Interesting that Jill is using "Duggar" instead of her married name, but maybe it is because she has the name recognition.

Yeah - that could just be a Simon and Schuster marketing gimmick.

• Like 13

Seeing Derick front and center on the cover and credited as a coauthor made me guffaw. Get your lies together, Derick, before you get them printed since you never can stick to any story for very long. 

As with the documentary, I'm way more curious about what Jill has to say and what tone she strikes with her parents. Not that book blurbs are always accurate, but that one definitely suggests a much more aggressive stance against the parents than Jinger used in her book. 

• Like 22
(edited)

That's a bad photo of Jill.

She doesn't even look like herself.

And I hate Derrick's position as she was being held hostage.

He looks ok

Edited by Snow Fairy
  • Like 24

Jill looks like Jade from Ted Lasso in that photo. 

I suspect this is more vague nothingness, but looks to be more about her family than Jingers book. Jessa is probably scrambling to get a book out there now trying to convince everyone her parents didn’t suck. 

• Like 8
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 8
  • Love 1

This blurb implies the book is about Jill and Derick.

"For as long as they could, Jill and Derick tried to be obedient family members—they weren’t willing to rock the boat. But now they’re raising a family of their own, and they’re done with the secrets. Thanks to time, tears, therapy, and blessings from God, they have the strength to share their journey. Theirs is a remarkable story of the power of the truth and is a moving example of how to find healing through honesty."

Whatever the book is, I hope all this brings Jill to a happier place, but for some reason I have a nagging feeling it won't.

• Like 21
  • Sad 1
10 minutes ago, Trillium said:

Jill looks like Jade from Ted Lasso in that photo. 

I suspect this is more vague nothingness, but looks to be more about her family than Jingers book. Jessa is probably scrambling to get a book out there now trying to convince everyone her parents didn’t suck. 

I have doubts about Jessa producing a book.  She strikes me as much too lazy for that.

• Like 19
  • LOL 1
9 minutes ago, sagittarius sue said:

I have doubts about Jessa producing a book.  She strikes me as much too lazy for that.

It was more sarcasm, than actually thinking she’ll do it. She probably wants to because $$$ and attention, but that would require effort and that’s just not her brand. 

• Like 7
10 minutes ago, sagittarius sue said:

But she's not too lazy to put her name on a book ghostwritten by Pecanman.

• Like 11
  • LOL 12
5 hours ago, ginger90 said:

1F5E4C6D-9DE4-4E63-82B1-935B1968A0AD.jpeg

I know "cost" isn't just about money, but considering the original cause of their fall out with JB, I find it a fitting title for a book "authored" by Derick and Jill.

3 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

This blurb implies the book is about Jill and Derick.

"For as long as they could, Jill and Derick tried to be obedient family members—they weren’t willing to rock the boat. But now they’re raising a family of their own, and they’re done with the secrets. Thanks to time, tears, therapy, and blessings from God, they have the strength to share their journey. Theirs is a remarkable story of the power of the truth and is a moving example of how to find healing through honesty."

Whatever the book is, I hope all this brings Jill to a happier place, but for some reason I have a nagging feeling it won't.

I have the same nagging feeling about the docuseries. That and this book are giving me "IBLP is an aberration but the correct fundie Jesus I believe in now will save you!" vibes.

• Like 10
(edited)

By January nobody is going to remember a damn thing about any of these people.  That's why she's using Duggar.  

At least Jinger got her book in front of people when the Josh scandal was winding down & people still recognized the name.  And her book is still selling. 

It's going to be the same soft-pedaled nothing, full of Jesus this and Jesus that.  No more harsh than what's already been put out there. 

As usual, Jill is desperate to catch up and needs Dillwad to push her.  

Edited by SnapHappy
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2
  • Useful 3
4 hours ago, Dehumidifier said:

Seems like Jill is working hard on alienating her family. So what is Jill's plan if she and Derick split up or something happens to him? 

Smartest thing she has done

3 hours ago, sagittarius sue said:

I also find her the least confident of the older Duggar daughters.  Following the JB party line.

• Like 11
  • Applause 2
4 hours ago, sagittarius sue said:

It's not like any of them are writing these books themselves. The ghostwriter interviews them and writes the book according to their interviews.

• Like 6
21 minutes ago, Future Cat Lady said:

It's not like any of them are writing these books themselves. The ghostwriter interviews them and writes the book according to their interviews.

I doubt she even has the gumption to get the ball rolling in the book process.

• Like 6
49 minutes ago, Future Cat Lady said:

Not necessarily.  Ghostwriting is a spectrum and "ghostwriter interviews the subject and writes the book based on said interviews" is one end of that spectrum.  It's up to the subject how much actual writing they want to do, and I can totally see Derick writing his own pages.  I can also see Derick "editing" the finished manuscript.  How much of those pages and editing ends up in the book is yet to be determined.

• Like 6
  • Useful 2

Here is the book description from Amazon:

Book Description from Amazon:

For the first time, discover the unedited truth about the Duggars, the traditional Christian family that captivated the nation on TLC’s hit show 19 Kids and Counting. Jill Duggar and her husband Derick are finally ready to share their story, revealing the secrets, manipulation, and intimidation behind the show that remained hidden from their fans.

Jill and Derick knew a normal life wasn’t possible for them. As a star on the popular TLC reality show 19 Kids and Counting, Jill grew up in front of viewers who were fascinated by her family’s way of life. She was the responsible, second daughter of Jim Bob and Michelle’s nineteen kids; always with a baby on her hip and happy to wear the modest ankle-length dresses with throat-high necklines. She didn’t protest the strict model of patriarchy that her family followed, which declares that men are superior, that women are expected to be wives and mothers and are discouraged from attaining a higher education, and that parental authority over their children continues well into adulthood, even once they are married.

But as Jill got older, married Derick, and they embarked on their own lives, the red flags became too obvious to ignore.

For as long as they could, Jill and Derick tried to be obedient family members—they weren’t willing to rock the boat. But now they’re raising a family of their own, and they’re done with the secrets. Thanks to time, tears, therapy, and blessings from God, they have the strength to share their journey. Theirs is a remarkable story of the power of the truth and is a moving example of how to find healing through honesty.

The bar is obviously low, but even if there is all of one cup of tea?

hunny-here-for-it.gif

• Like 17
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 3
(edited)

Dillwad is a PUBLIC SERVANT.  Every word of that book would have had to be vetted by his bosses before a drop of ink saw paper.  No way they'd let a shred of information that could be libelous towards anybody have his name attached to it, even if it was his wife's "story".  

It will be posturing, self-righteous, god-bothering and spewing every bit of victimhood these grown-ass adults can wring out of their story. 

Jill DID have a very traumatic & terrible childhood, no doubt about it. But Dillwad wasn't there.  He could have helped her, but he just wanted on the gravy train.  

Edited by SnapHappy
  • Like 4
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 2
Just now, babyhouseman said:

Big publishing companies have lawyers to go over books to make sure it's true. 

Those lawyers only look out for the publisher and not the individual authors.  Fact-checking is not a responsibility for the publisher.  Authors who want their works fact-checked have to pay for it out of their own pocket.  There maybe a book here or there where the author is able to negotiate it into their contract, but those are the exceptions.  This book is being billed as a memoir, and memoirs are not necessarily the most verifiable.  The genre constructs allow for the writer to make a few mistakes when telling their narrative because it's their side of the story.  

• Like 4
  • Useful 5

This book should have been written sooner to coincide better with the release of the documentary. By January, I don't think the interest will be nearly as high as following directly on the tails of the documentary release. I wish Derrick wasn't attached to the book; it's Jill's story, and he's certainly part of it, but I kind of feel he's inserting himself. 

I said when Jinger's book was announced that I didn't have interest in it but would if Jill released a memoir/tell-all, and I still feel that way. I'll likely rent the audiobook version when it's available, but after Jingle's propaganda for her new cult was released I'm not holding as much hope for a real expose from any of the clan. 

• Like 5
48 minutes ago, SnapHappy said:

Jill DID have a very traumatic & terrible childhood, no doubt about it. But Dillwad wasn't there.  He could have helped her, but he just wanted on the gravy train.  

No, he wasn't there, but he was there when all the FF crap went down, he was there for the trial too. And maybe (and we don't know what happened), he was there when his wife was in poor shape with all of this and had to go to therapy. 

• Like 16
  • Applause 4
4 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

So Jill will now be estranged from her whole family. That’s sad.

I don't think it will be the whole family. I've a feeling a few siblings may start distancing themselves from the parents as well if they haven't already. I really think the Sex Pest's trial was a defining event in the Duggar family dynamic and I think it was the final straw for some of the older offspring. 

• Like 24
1 hour ago, libgirl2 said:

No, he wasn't there, but he was there when all the FF crap went down, he was there for the trial too. And maybe (and we don't know what happened), he was there when his wife was in poor shape with all of this and had to go to therapy. 

He sat & watched his wife get forced by her parents to go on a Network television interview show & basically hand-wave sexual abuse by her brother.  

I won't go into what a steaming pile of shit he is.  Everybody already knows. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 2
  • LOL 1