Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

58 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Jill posted this around 4pm her time. It takes four hours to cook, and they hadn't eaten yet. I figure they eat around 6. So, in that case, the boys were home around 2. 

Homeschooled.

Four hours to cook corn on the cob?!!!?? I did not even read the recipe but I looked at it now and I have the vapors. That is an offense against corn, even leaving out the part where it is December and corn on the cob is not a winter food.

And I'm leaving out the part where the "recipe" imagines that dicing the bacon would be easier than simply wrapping it around the cob.

Edited by jcbrown
  • Like 4
  • Love 12

Well at least it is home cooked to go along with home schooled. We have "fresh"  corn in our grocery stores year round. Nothing beats fresh off the stalk but sometimes that isn't possible even in summer around here (metro Atlanta).  I'll bet if we all posted a recipe on here half of us would go "eewww". I do love to snark on their awful beliefs and the resulting behaviors. 

• Love 6
8 hours ago, jcbrown said:

Four hours to cook corn on the cob?!!!?? I did not even read the recipe but I looked at it now and I have the vapors. That is an offense against corn, even leaving out the part where it is December and corn on the cob is not a winter food.

And I'm leaving out the part where the "recipe" imagines that dicing the bacon would be easier than simply wrapping it around the cob.

I love corn, part of it is a texture thing as I love the kernels in corn muffins.   I feel this is the time of year for scalloped corn and corn pudding.

• Love 1

So cooking the bacon in broth for 4 hours results in....???  And the bacon is already cooked before submerging it?

The recipe is incomprehensible. 

It would look NOTHING like that photo.  Idiots. 

Edited by SnapHappy
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1

My grandma routinely freezes her summer corn on the cob from her garden, so it's not unusual at all to eat it year-round at her house and it still tastes fantastic. I don't know that Jill is that motivated, though. LOL But my mind can't and won't process cooking it for 4 hours. Why?!

Edited by Zella
  • Like 8
  • Applause 2

I want to jump in a bit to respond to previous posts criticizing Christian schools. Yes, some of them are an absolute joke, but my personal experience was positive.

From pre school through 4th grade, I attended a Christian school and then transferred to a small-town public school. I was at least one, if not two, years ahead academically in the public school. The book we used at the public school for Reading was literally the exact same one I used the year before at the Christian school. Yes, the Christian school had Bible class twice a week and chapel once a week, but the teachers found ways to incorporate Christian ideals, scripture verses, stories, etc into other lessons. I am glad that I did move into a public school when I did; even at 10 I had some culture shock and I can't imagine what it would have been if I'd been solely Christian school educated al lthe way until HS graduation. 

That said, if Jill is indeed homeschooling the boys instead of going to school, I worry about the amount and quality of education they're actually getting. Jill is a product of SOTDRT "education" so I don't see her offspring benefitting at all from her instruction.

• Like 12
13 minutes ago, MaryAnneSpier said:

I want to jump in a bit to respond to previous posts criticizing Christian schools. Yes, some of them are an absolute joke, but my personal experience was positive.

From pre school through 4th grade, I attended a Christian school and then transferred to a small-town public school. I was at least one, if not two, years ahead academically in the public school. The book we used at the public school for Reading was literally the exact same one I used the year before at the Christian school. Yes, the Christian school had Bible class twice a week and chapel once a week, but the teachers found ways to incorporate Christian ideals, scripture verses, stories, etc into other lessons. I am glad that I did move into a public school when I did; even at 10 I had some culture shock and I can't imagine what it would have been if I'd been solely Christian school educated al lthe way until HS graduation. 

That said, if Jill is indeed homeschooling the boys instead of going to school, I worry about the amount and quality of education they're actually getting. Jill is a product of SOTDRT "education" so I don't see her offspring benefitting at all from her instruction.

Yes, but the difference between your excellent-sounding Christian school, and the one posted here, is this school uses the ACE curriculum.  Which means each student sits in their own closed-off cubby desk (shown on their website) and fills in the blanks on worksheets, at their own pace.

Except for the first year, where kids learn to read, their is no teacher involvement or instruction, except to maintain order and a schedule.

The teachers are rarely accredited because they don’t actually teach.

Some homeschoolers actually choose this curriculum because they don’t need to do much at all.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Sad 19
17 minutes ago, louannems said:

Yes, but the difference between your excellent-sounding Christian school, and the one posted here, is this school uses the ACE curriculum.  Which means each student sits in their own closed-off cubby desk (shown on their website) and fills in the blanks on worksheets, at their own pace.

Except for the first year, where kids learn to read, their is no teacher involvement or instruction, except to maintain order and a schedule.

Some homeschoolers actually choose this curriculum because they don’t need to do much at all.

That is frightening!  I wouldn't expect much from homeschooling, but how this could be called a school is shocking.  So only bright self-motivated children will learn anything; the rest will come out  as illiterate as they went in.

• Sad 11
  • Love 6
31 minutes ago, MaryAnneSpier said:

I went to Catholic school (I am Catholic) for grades K-8. When it came time for HS, I chose public. I would say there are always really super smart kids no matter the school or type of education as school is what you make it.

My Catholic school class was pretty small so there wasn't the variety of courses one would get in a bigger school, especially a bigger HS. It was surprising to see some of the courses where things I had already been doing for the last 2-3 years. Coming out of Catholic 8th grade, I felt the majority of my class had a leg up on the average public school student. I certainly could spell better than most of my friends. 

My heart breaks for some of these kids that are getting barely an education in the name of religion. We had religion class every day. My teachers were mainly nuns but they were well educated. I never felt that I received a poor education. They wanted us to be smart, they wanted us to be excellent. These fundies just seem to want the basics and that just barely. 

• Like 5
  • Love 11

Some homeschoolers are great and some Christian schools are too. But what we’ve seen from the Duggars, Bateses and worst of all Jill Rodrigues, the learning seems to be workbooks or tablets done whenever it’s convenient. And the emphasis is on Bible verses and memorization. Critical thinking is discouraged but obedience to parents is demanded. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 12
  • Love 2
42 minutes ago, ozziemom said:

Some homeschoolers are great and some Christian schools are too. But what we’ve seen from the Duggars, Bateses and worst of all Jill Rodrigues, the learning seems to be workbooks or tablets done whenever it’s convenient. And the emphasis is on Bible verses and memorization. Critical thinking is discouraged but obedience to parents is demanded. 

I guess all we can hope is that if Jill is homeschooling, she has at least tried to raise the bar. 

18 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Looks like she's committed to the blonde. And it doesn't look like she got any length taken off.

I think they just toned down her roots so she can grow it out less noticeably. Her ends are stringy and fried. Soon she'll be calling balayage.   

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Zella said:

My grandma routinely freezes her summer corn on the cob from her garden, so it's not unusual at all to eat it year-round at her house and it still tastes fantastic. I don't know that Jill is that motivated, though. LOL But my mind can't and won't process cooking it for 4 hours. Why?!

That's great. I'm not motivated to do that either.  Although I did make 7 jars of peach jam from our one tree.   Jill is a work in progress as far as being a homemaker.  I wish she would be a work in progress in her nasty beliefs.

• Love 3

So in their school district the two boys would go to different schools? Is Jill the only mother who is dealing with this ?  Are there no school buses used?  I am sure parents work together to carpool and I bet the hours are staggered. I have no pity for Jill. She chose to have more children. Dereck is right in the middle of this too. He is allowing his children not to be well educated and socialized. Grow up jill and be a parent. Sometimes it means sacrifice and god forbid live on a schedule. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 4
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, louannems said:

7 hours ago, Suzn said:

That is frightening!  I wouldn't expect much from homeschooling, but how this could be called a school is shocking.  So only bright self-motivated children will learn anything; the rest will come out  as illiterate as they went in.

This is how I did 9-11th grades 😞 still trying to catch up in my 40’s and feel like a dummy for all I don’t know and all the homework I can’t help my kids with. 

still think the fake blonde is all wrong for Jill. 

• Hugs 3
  • Love 5

I attended a Christian school for part of my education and it was not academically sound, imo.  I was an excellent student, good reader, motivated, etc, who tested well, so I was ok, but it wasn’t fair to me or the other students.  It was all about Fundie teachings and making the kids focus on their take on the Bible.  Higher education was frowned upon.  No one encouraged college attendance!  Don’t get me started…..I was embarrassed to attend, but had no say so on the matter.  My parents were brainwashed.  Nonetheless, I set my own goals and later attended a state university,  graduated Magna Cum Laude, and subsequently graduated from law school.  Some would claim I have nothing to complain about, but I think I do.  

I had friends and extended family members  who were home schooled and all but one turned out with a terrible outcome.  Most were taught by uneducated parents who were so ignorant, they didn’t  know how much they didn’t  know.  There was little or no social interaction for these kids, except church.  Both situations were quite sad.  

In light of my background, words like Christian school, home school, faith based education, trigger an immediate negative reaction.  I have to remind myself to keep an open mind. Hopefully, things have improved.  I now believe there are some Christian schools that provide students an adequate education.  

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I attended a Christian school for part of my education and it was not academically sound, imo.  I was an excellent student, good reader, motivated, etc, who tested well, so I was ok, but it wasn’t fair to me or the other students.  It was all about Fundie teachings and making the kids focus on their take on the Bible.  Higher education was frowned upon.  No one encouraged college attendance!  Don’t get me started…..I was embarrassed to attend, but had no say so on the matter.  My parents were brainwashed.  Nonetheless, I set my own goals and later attended a state university,  graduated Magna Cum Laude, and subsequently graduated from law school.  Some would claim I have nothing to complain about, but I think I do.  

I had friends and extended family members  who were home schooled and all but one turned out with a terrible outcome.  Most were taught by uneducated parents who were so ignorant, they didn’t  know how much they didn’t  know.  There was little or no social interaction for these kids, except church.  Both situations were quite sad.  

In light of my background, words like Christian school, home school, faith based education, trigger an immediate negative reaction.  I have to remind myself to keep an open mind. Hopefully, things have improved.  I now believe there are some Christian schools that provide students an adequate education.  

Taking my comment to the Prayer Closet

13 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

I went to Catholic school (I am Catholic) for grades K-8. When it came time for HS, I chose public. I would say there are always really super smart kids no matter the school or type of education as school is what you make it.

My Catholic school class was pretty small so there wasn't the variety of courses one would get in a bigger school, especially a bigger HS. It was surprising to see some of the courses where things I had already been doing for the last 2-3 years. Coming out of Catholic 8th grade, I felt the majority of my class had a leg up on the average public school student. I certainly could spell better than most of my friends. 

My heart breaks for some of these kids that are getting barely an education in the name of religion. We had religion class every day. My teachers were mainly nuns but they were well educated. I never felt that I received a poor education. They wanted us to be smart, they wanted us to be excellent. These fundies just seem to want the basics and that just barely. 

Catholic schools have always been serious about education. My mom was a public school teacher, thus my parents made sure I went to Catholic school.

I don't have a problem with the concept of homeschooling and given the state of some public schooling I see why some parents choose it. But the notion that every mother is qualified to teach all her children from K to 12 is ludicrous. If the woman is stupid it will be difficult for the children to overcome that.

However their choice. Better opportunities for my children.

• Like 4
  • Love 3

I think its safe to assume the Duggar19 are educated to at least a six grade level. I'm going to guess, with the exception of Joy, the Duggar sisters can at least provide an adequate K - 5 education for their kids. The problem is, is the Duggar sisters don't know what an adequate education is, never mind an excellent one. Add to that their religious beliefs and laziness, it all seems to be a recipe for a disastrous education. 

Maybe the kids are in public school, but I know my FB feed has been filled with school pictures, discussions of Spirit Week, invites to plays and concerts and the upcoming week off from school. It seems odd that Jill has mentioned none of these things.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 10
5 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I think its safe to assume the Duggar19 are educated to at least a six grade level. I'm going to guess, with the exception of Joy, the Duggar sisters can at least provide an adequate K - 5 education for their kids. The problem is, is the Duggar sisters don't know what an adequate education is, never mind an excellent one. Add to that their religious beliefs and laziness, it all seems to be a recipe for a disastrous education. 

Maybe the kids are in public school, but I know my FB feed has been filled with school pictures, discussions of Spirit Week, invites to plays and concerts and the upcoming week off from school. It seems odd that Jill has mentioned none of these things.

With the exception of Joy and Jinger. 

5 minutes ago, AstridM said:

With the exception of Joy and Jinger. 

I think Jinger is on par with Jill and Jessa intelligence wise. She's also been exposed to far more of the real world then any of her siblings so, IMO, would likely recognize how poor their education was. I'm not sure Jill and Jessa will ever know their education sucked. Joy on the other hand, may just give up teaching her kids and send them to school.

• Love 3
23 hours ago, libgirl2 said:

I went to Catholic schools through 9th grade and had a similar experience.  We didn't have as many course options as the public schools, but we were TAUGHT.  There was discipline and an emphasis on working hard and mastering the material.  When I transferred to public schools, I was a math and science geek, so most of my classmates were similarly motivated to achieve.  However, in required courses like American History and electives, I was shocked to see people sleeping through class, socializing, or otherwise not paying attention.  That kinda stuff would not fly in the Catholic schools I had attended to that point.

There was indeed an emphasis on reading and writing and arithmetic in the Catholic schools and everyone was expected to learn the basics well and use them in the real world, no matter what else we did.

think its safe to assume the Duggar19 are educated to at least a six grade level. I'm going to guess, with the exception of Joy, the Duggar sisters can at least provide an adequate K - 5 education for their kids. The problem is, is the Duggar sisters don't know what an adequate education is, never mind an excellent one. 

That's the problem, IMO.   Just because the Duggars might've had an adequate education up until 6th grade doesn't mean they are capable of providing that to their kids.  They've never been in a real classroom with a real, trained teacher and a real, engaged, class of students.  They think doing workbooks and quoting the Bible is an adequate education.  It isn't.

I've been educated through grad school and I'm not even sure I would be capable of teaching kids through high school.  At least, not to the level they should be taught and certainly not with the skills of a true professional educator.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 11
  • Love 7
22 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Really quickly, the final "after" of Jill's makeover.

Compress_20221214_101731_1628.jpg

I don't understand this. Did she go back and get it styled? Here she is leaving with her coffee. And where is her nose ring and she has make-up on. The more I look at it the more I think above picture looks like one of those hair cut apps.

image.png.715ed1c32a0c6596f9a2386205972c91.png

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, oliviabenson said:

I think Jill used filters/photoshop 

The picture was originally posted by the stylist, who 100% used a filter, Jill just reposted it. 

As for the dramatic style difference…the stylist probably has ring light and fluffed everything right before taking it. Jill’s hair seems like mine, it loses it shape the second I step out of the salon. I don’t know how many times it looks great when I leave and in the 15 minutes it takes me to get home it’s totally flat and stringy. 😐

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 10
3 minutes ago, Trillium said:

The picture was originally posted by the stylist, who 100% used a filter, Jill just reposted it. 

As for the dramatic style difference…the stylist probably has ring light and fluffed everything right before taking it. Jill’s hair seems like mine, it loses it shape the second I step out of the salon. I don’t know how many times it looks great when I leave and in the 15 minutes it takes me to get home it’s totally flat and stringy. 😐

All I know is I think she would look better with less blond and less length.

• Like 8
  • Love 15
3 minutes ago, mom2two said:

If jill just had the baby with her (no sign of the other kids in the car), then someone either had to be watching them, or perhaps they really are in some type of school situation.

I figured she left them with Cathy, or it was the weekend and Derick was home. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Jill's hair will never look like that at home. That amount of hair is impossible to wash, dry and style every morning and actually have a life. She has a husband and 3 kids to see to and a house to clean, meals to cook, laundry to wash. I'd like to see her photo from today.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
38 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Talk about false advertising, the stylist is full of shit. The second pic is how Jill looked when she was done. Jill conveniently removed the second pic from her IG.

image.png.45a0655b88acdb4b63885ab0ce0c6c2d.pngimage.png.36f034c5b1cd405fe5ae66e6e3f64c53.png

Yeah, I saw the top picture first and my immediate thought was that if the stylist photoshopped her face that much, it's unlikely that that is what her hair actually looks like.

• Like 3
  • Love 2