Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

Maybe Derick's brother dumped his girlfriend, and he is now in courtship with a Duggar girl.

If this comes true, I fear for Mr. Bynum's health. There are only so many times you can beat your head against a wall without doing serious damage.

90 minutes a day/5 days a week for 3- 3 1/2 years should put anybody at a semi-high fluency level in most languages.

3 1/2 - 5 years of study should you at a high fluency level. She's been at it for almost a decade!

I'll bet the Duggar language-learning schedule is more like 9 minutes a day for 5 days a month (alternate months only). Plus, it's undertaken without knowing anything else, including English.

• Love 7

How could it (transparency and accountability) come as a surprise, to a man with a degree in accounting?  Wouldn't that be in your coursework?  I have this nagging feeling that even if you go to a religious school where missions/ministries are high on the list of approved majors, that it comes in on the coursework.  I think this is now giving Derrick too much credit.  I admit I really don't know what I'm talking about in specifics, but wouldn't financial transparency be covered in something like GAAP?  Jill I could believe as a nitwit on the topic.

I am guessing that Derrick has not had enough exposure to the accounting field to make him really understand this in practice. He has an undergraduate degree only. Maybe he had to take a business ethics class. Did he work during college? Internships? I assume he went to be a missionary right after graduating. If he did that, he has under a year of accounting experience. And since his experience was with a big company (WMT), the scope of his work was probably pretty limited. 

• Love 1

I would think it's normal for mission funds to be spent on the living expenses of the missionaries.

I think it would be enlightening for a TLC show to follow the Dillards on their mission. A few misconceptions about "saintly" missionaries might be cleared up.

• Love 3

I personally think they are coming back to teeeeveeee in some shape or form. Boob has been too quiet lately. When he is quiet something is happening behind the scenes.

They aren't going to go away so easily.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was trying to work a deal in which Discovery Communications waives their non-compete and UP pays them for the rights to both the current contract and residuals.  Though I do wonder if that would just burn Gil and Kelly.  I like the super passive-aggressive logo, "Br1n9ing Up Bates"; must be a total thumb in the eye to JB and Clown Car. 

Donors are asking where the money is going - time to announce a baby or courtship!  Get their minds off of it!

Pay no attention to the naked emperor behind the curtain. 

Edited by Lemur
  • Love 8

I would think it's normal for mission funds to be spent on the living expenses of the missionaries.

I think it's perfectly normal. After all, if donations didn't pay missionaries' salaries, who the heck would? And if nobody paid their salaries, most missionaries would starve to death.

I'll bet about 90 percent of the supposed outcry over the Dillard donations is coming from people who never gave J and D a dime but who just can't stand them or who strenuously object to their conception of mission work.

And the rest has to come from people who gave them money because they see them as cute celebrities but who don't understand anything about the brand of mission they would participate in.

A lot of us have trouble with the brand of mission work that J and D do, but most of us wouldn't give them money to do it. If you want to, you really have to do it because you're a believer in the exact same Christian creed that J and D have, because the entire point of their mission is to inform the world about that creed. What happened because of their celebrity, though, is that other people -- who thought of missions in terms of providing tangible assistance such as medical care or irrigation systems or something -- may have given money and then are shocked when it never even crosses the D's minds that the money would go to anything but them and their living expenses.

But, really, their collection of money is no different from money collection to support Latter Day Saints missionaries. Collections for that have to come from within the LDS community only, since the entire point of the missions is to spread the word about the true faith. So should it have been with the Dillards. But it wasn't. .... I think that's what they should have been transparent about when they asked for donations. However, I suppose they take it so much for granted that proselytizing is so clearly what true missionary work is that it never would have occurred to them to explain it. (and, of course, if I want to be cynical, I might say that they knew that not being transparent would bring in more cash .... Not sure that much cynicism is warranted, though.... I think they may have just thought that everybody knew what their mission work would consist of and, therefore, where the money would go.)

I wouldn't be surprised if he was trying to work a deal in which Discovery Communications waives their non-compete and UP pays them for the rights to both the current contract and residuals. 

I wouldn't be at all surprised if he's trying to do this. But when it comes to working a deal, I don't see what Boob's bargaining chip could possibly be. What in the world could he possibly offer Discovery at this point to cause them to make such a concession? (the only thing I can come up with would be his having solid proof that they knew all the details of the Josh affair all along and therefore covered it up as much as the Duggars did .... kinda don't think he could have actual proof of that, though...)

• Love 8

OK Derick and Jill why not report your salary to your donors?  What percentage or amount? How is it being determined?  How much time do you spend working and what exactly does that entail?  What percentage of the donors money goes to the food and shelter of the people you are helping?

Edited by Defrauder
  • Love 5

Whatever the announcement is, they have said they moved out of the TTH. Maybe they are off now for an actual long term mission. Wasn't there an announcement by SOS that they had just purchased a house somewhere to set up a new location? Maybe the house is being prepared for them.   If their intention was to originally be gone for a lengthy time, why not tie up loose ends when they left the first time, why the video of the sad goodbye and promises of the family to visit them?  

• Love 1

OK Derick and Jill why not report your salary to your donors?  What percentage or amount? How is it being determined?  How much time do you spend working and what exactly does that entail?  What percentage of the donors money goes to the food and shelter of the people you are helping?

They could. But, really, how may nonprofit organizations that you donate to actually give all this precise information to donors? Some do but most absolutely don't, as far as I can tell. If they did, we wouldn't need the websites that display all the organizations' tax forms. And even in the tax forms, the information isn't this detailed. ....

So, yeah, this would be the ethical thing to do. But if we're expecting Duggars to be more ethical than most other people, then we're probably barking up the wrong tree.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if he's trying to do this. But when it comes to working a deal, I don't see what Boob's bargaining chip could possibly be. What in the world could he possibly offer Discovery at this point to cause them to make such a concession? (the only thing I can come up with would be his having solid proof that they knew all the details of the Josh affair all along and therefore covered it up as much as the Duggars did .... kinda don't think he could have actual proof of that, though...)

He personally can't offer them a thing.  It's what he can get UP to offer them, which would be money for the rebroadcast rights to the previous seasons as well as money for rights to the Duggars current contractual obligations.  Disco is currently making nothing on that particular commodity and is unsure if they'll ever see another return in that investment at all.  This would be a sure-fire way to recoup some money as well as get a PR liability out of their hands.  There are two stumbling blocks to this though, the first one being that UP wants zero part of the shit-show that is the Duggar family (which I see as unlikely, as they clearly have no problem showing reruns of Stephen Collins in Seventh Heaven); the second being that UP can't raise the capital to buy the rights from Disco.  I can see Disco sticking a reasonably large price tag on the Duggars due entirely to the fact that the true believers still think they're a super neat family and that Joshie Boy just made some mistakes and we all need to forgive him or go burn in hell, and because us non-believers will hate-watch this so we can do ... well, this.  I think there are quite a few different valuation models for the worth of this show right now, and I don't think the former Gospel Music Channel has the liquidity to pursue such an acquisition.  

• Love 1

He personally can't offer them a thing.  It's what he can get UP to offer them, which would be money for the rebroadcast rights to the previous seasons as well as money for rights to the Duggars current contractual obligations.  Disco is currently making nothing on that particular commodity and is unsure if they'll ever see another return in that investment at all.  This would be a sure-fire way to recoup some money as well as get a PR liability out of their hands.  There are two stumbling blocks to this though, the first one being that UP wants zero part of the shit-show that is the Duggar family (which I see as unlikely, as they clearly have no problem showing reruns of Stephen Collins in Seventh Heaven); the second being that UP can't raise the capital to buy the rights from Disco.  I can see Disco sticking a reasonably large price tag on the Duggars due entirely to the fact that the true believers still think they're a super neat family and that Joshie Boy just made some mistakes and we all need to forgive him or go burn in hell, and because us non-believers will hate-watch this so we can do ... well, this.  I think there are quite a few different valuation models for the worth of this show right now, and I don't think the former Gospel Music Channel has the liquidity to pursue such an acquisition.  

I guess. I don't really see UP going this far out on a limb to get them, though, Stephen Collins or no. It would screw the Bateses. Plus, given all the press the Duggars have gotten for being too tainted for Discovery to air them, seems to me it'd be a pretty huge gamble for UP. Wonder if they'd risk having their image take a potential media beating for picking up such a property? I suppose a lot of their viewers might not care. And it certainly would boost their ratings. ... Well, interesting possibility, anyway. I guess we'll see.

Donors are asking where the money is going - time to announce a baby or courtship! Get their minds off of it!

Yep! They're dangling a shiny new surprise in everyone's faces hoping they'll forget the fact that Derick and Jill are using mission funds to attend unrelated social events.

• Love 6

Sure. But I think it's also understood that missionaries should live reasonably frugally. Also, like, stay in the actual mission country.

Well the first flight back to America (and I assume the return airfares) was at TLC's expense. The second trip back, we don't know who paid for that, but the Dillards are off the clock while they remain in America. Round trip costs about $1200 for all three Dillards, its been three weeks since they flew back, from a mission funding POV it's cheaper to pay the $600 to send em back than it is for them to be in "undisclosed America".

They could. But, really, how may nonprofit organizations that you donate to actually give all this precise information to donors? Some do but most absolutely don't, as far as I can tell. If they did, we wouldn't need the websites that display all the organizations' tax forms. And even in the tax forms, the information isn't this detailed. ....

So, yeah, this would be the ethical thing to do. But if we're expecting Duggars to be more ethical than most other people, then we're probably barking up the wrong tree.

However by the very name - Dillard Family Missions, we're talking what - 2 people collecting salaries and travelling to and fro?  I don't understand the complication or reluctance in releasing the financial information.  Are the donors money being spent mainly for diapers and baby food, plane tickets and Derick and Jill clothing?  Are Jill & Derick passing out candy while eating in establishments the people they are supposedly helping can't afford?  Also - 2 people have to account for their time.  Why would that be difficult?  The donors are funding their trips why wouldn't they want to give even an estimated account of their time spent?  We're not talking about the Red Cross here.  Are the donors really funding just another baby on the way and plane trips?  

• Love 10

I have a feeling that when it comes to godly missions and, in fact, anything that Duggars and pseudo-Duggar D Dillard is involved in, all rules, logic and bets are off.

As far as the missionary money goes, though, I think they just thought/think that it's perfectly obvious that the money goes to them, the missionaries. Their mission is not about any services or donations they deliver. It's about their mere existence on the ground in a place where people are in need of saving. In their eyes, the world's highest need is for everyone to believe in the exact version of Christianity that they believe in. And the way to make that happen is just to have true believers like Jill and Derick hang around in the neighborhood until the locals get the right idea.

I

But Jill was raised a Gothardite, and Derrick was not. He claims to be a Baptist? So what version of Christianity do they believe in, exactly? And if they don't know much about the others, how can they be sure theirs (whatever it is) is THE correct one? Geez, I asked that question at age 10 and never got a reasonable answer.

• Love 8

But Jill was raised a Gothardite, and Derrick was not. He claims to be a Baptist? So what version of Christianity do they believe in, exactly? And if they don't know much about the others, how can they be sure theirs (whatever it is) is THE correct one? Geez, I asked that question at age 10 and never got a reasonable answer.

Well, exactly. They don't know what the hell they're talking about. But they're extremely sure that they do. I doubt that Gothard plays into it much. That's too complicated and it wouldn't encompass most of the tourist "missionaries" who show up, so I expect they go with a very generalized version of fundie Protestantism and that Derick directs the theology end. Given the sort of stuff he writes, I expect they're going with the most simplistic possible version of what Derick fuzzily understands and remembers about whatever he grew up with. I expect it boils down to something pretty simple -- faith not works, Pope is bad, Catholics worship Mary and they shouldn't, Jesus is coming back for a thousand-year reign but he won't unless we convert most everybody to fundie Protestantism first, etc. I doubt that they even realize that Ben's cracked Calvinism is, strictly, different. And they know it's right because Jesus told them.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 4

This is one of the few things I give them a pass on. Doesn't every religion believe it's the correct one?

• Love 1

However by the very name - Dillard Family Missions, we're talking what - 2 people collecting salaries and travelling to and fro?  I don't understand the complication or reluctance in releasing the financial information.  Are the donors money being spent mainly for diapers and baby food, plane tickets and Derick and Jill clothing?  Are Jill & Derick passing out candy while eating in establishments the people they are supposedly helping can't afford?  Also - 2 people have to account for their time.  Why would that be difficult?  The donors are funding their trips why wouldn't they want to give even an estimated account of their time spent?  We're not talking about the Red Cross here.  Are the donors really funding just another baby on the way and plane trips?  

Well, I truly think that it's so simple that they can't even imagine why they would need to do it.

They are the missionaries. This is not a "helping" mission but a proselytizing mission, so no money except maybe a few bucks for souvenir baubles or cheap bibles is going to locals. Virtually all the money, maybe 99 percent -- is going to the missionaries' salaries.

And because the very being of the missionaries constitutes the mission -- by existing and being visible to other humans, they are carrying Jesus's message -- time, too, is simple to account for. Because their very existence constitutes proselytizing, then 100 percent of their waking time is spent advancing the mission. If they're at the supermarket or on the beach, their Christianity is still on display to everyone there and can work its powerful influence -- that's their mission and they're doing it whenever they're awake and visible. 

It's the same thing as Jim Bob and Michelle have always said. They didn't say that part of their show in which they discussed certain topics or demonstrated certain behaviors was the mission. They said that all of it was the mission. Just the sight of them doing whatever -- from getting their teeth fixed to licking a counter -- constituted the Duggar mission. Same for the Dillards, I expect. Seriously. I think it's that simple. When you pay, you're paying the Duggars for being an incredibly value mission for Christ in every hour of every one of their days.

This is one of the few things I give them a pass on. Doesn't every religion believe it's the correct one?

Exactly. That's the whole nature of religion, seems to me.

Of course, maybe they're not reporting the money because they've brought in so little that they're afraid the facts would discourage other potential donors. Everybody loves to give to a winner.

• Love 5

Okay so I actually tried to figure out how much $ Jill and Derick may be getting from the click throughs to advertisers on their site. But... I really have no idea how many visitors they may be getting, but geesh, those "something big to announce.... Soon.... Really" with link to their site is making them at least $$$$.

Resist hard people. Someone will post the "announcement" here.

• Love 2

Just sitting here pondering how many "mission" trips the Duggars participated in before Boob thought to have the whole gang classified as a "church" and basically a tax-exempted entity or whatever the correct phrase would be.  I'm guessing exactly zero.  Another question, TLC funds obviously helped with some of the trips once they were being broadcast, and of course now anytime any Duggar or Duggarling [ben, Derick etc] wants to do anything without spending their own $$ for it, they'll hold out their poor, empty bowls for the public to fill. But if TLC had never come along, and tax-exemption was not a possibility, would the Duggars ever venture south of the border - or anywhere else? I'm 99¾% positive they wouldn't.

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 3

I can't imagine that they would have been going to foreign countries if they didn't need them as sets for their mission specials. They think they're entering dangerous unchristian territory by leaving the house.

• Love 8

I just saw an announcement on facebook (from Jill and Derick's blog) that Jill is now a certified professional midwife.  Apparently she passed whatever test she needed to pass. Derick says she is now Jill Dillard CPM.  Heaven help us.

• Love 5

That information should be readily available from whatever missionary group they are representing.

• Love 1

That information should be readily available from whatever missionary group they are representing.

They set up their own nonprofit to do fundraising. Their missionary "group" is more like a salvotravel agency.

• Love 6

I'm not sure about how their sponsorship works but as I have said, I was a missionary to Malaysia a number of years ago (a really LONG number of years ago!).  I belong to a mainline Protestant denomination so we were not sponsored by a congregation but by the larger church body.  We were given a house to live in, utilities paid, a car to drive (we paid for the gas, they paid for repairs and upkeep) and the astounding sum of $200 a month salary.  We paid for our food, clothing, and anything else.  The congregations knew exactly what we made and how it was spent (except for our personal stuff).  I think the Dillards should be open and above board with what they make and how they spend it.  Also what the heck they are DOING over there!

• Love 8

If indeed she is preggers, anyone wanna bet that this one was planned by Jill and Derrick, no doubt with encouragement from Jim Bob and Michelle, after the molestation story broke in the spring in hopes of salvaging the spin-off?  I hate to be so cynical, but these folks have proven time and again that they are all obsessed with staying on TV and keeping that gravy train on the tracks.  Little did they know that Joshie had porn and hookers up his sleeve.  What will they do if Jill has to give birth without an audience?  Or a big payday?

I realize that I am cynical and this probably isn't a consideration in the blessed world of Jilly Muffin and derickdillardduggar, but just throwing this one out here: Do these people have HEALTH INSURANCE? Do they have any clue what kind of bills they're going to rack up for labor and delivery this time around, because it's going to have to happen in a hospital? She's not having a VBAC in the Deliverance Shack, or whatever the hell that midwife called her hardly-palatial birth suite. Of course, I am not a professional so my opinions are just opinions, but if she really is PG (and as you said, we ALL KNOWWW they wouldn't be teasing this unless she is) what kind of braindead moron would go against all known medical opinions re: a second pregnancy?

$20 says she releases 3D ultrasound pictures of twins while Jessa Blessa is in labor.

• Love 6

Here's the blog post. She is now a CPM, or lay midwife.

http://www.dillardfamily.com/2015/9/it-s-official

eta: Wow, Derick. That's one hell of a condescending ending to the post. Not the way to gain members for God's Army, to be sure. Eff you.

Jesus take the wheel. I'd trust my ten year old nephew to deliver my baby before I'd let Jill Duggar anywhere near my lady parts. Let's collectively pray she doesn't kill some unsuspecting Honduran with her lack of real training.

• Love 12

I just saw an announcement on facebook (from Jill and Derick's blog) that Jill is now a certified professional midwife.  Apparently she passed whatever test she needed to pass. Derick says she is now Jill Dillard CPM.  Heaven help us.

But I thought having an education and credentials of any kind didn't matter? Weren't important at all?  Hey Derick, your slip is showing...

Wonder if she'll be there for Jessa's delivery.

She'll be there - and, more than likely, barking orders left and right.

• Love 5

I think this part is my favorite:

And if anybody knows how much hard work it has been for her, it’s me. Jill has been very disciplined and sacrificed a lot to get to this point. So much so, that I don’t have the capacity within this brief blog post to give all the details to do it justice.

So maybe write a longer blog post? It sounds like sustained effort is only a thing for one member of this couple.

• Love 12

The post is awful but I can't help but feel a little proud of Jill. Do I want her delivering babies? Not really. But she actually kept after something she was interested in - something educational, at that! She is broadening her mind a little at a time, and Derrick seems to support her in that.

I wonder if we will see her pursue nursing school in a few years.

Edited by starving artist
  • Love 15

eta: Wow, Derick. That's one hell of a condescending ending to the post. Not the way to gain members for God's Army, to be sure. Eff you. 

Imagine what will happen when many people decide that the Bible is not telling them to send financial support to a couple of spoiled evangetourists.

• Love 8

And because the very being of the missionaries constitutes the mission -- by existing and being visible to other humans, they are carrying Jesus's message -- time, too, is simple to account for. Because their very existence constitutes proselytizing, then 100 percent of their waking time is spent advancing the mission. If they're at the supermarket or on the beach, their Christianity is still on display to everyone there and can work its powerful influence -- that's their mission and they're doing it whenever they're awake and visible. 

It's the same thing as Jim Bob and Michelle have always said. They didn't say that part of their show in which they discussed certain topics or demonstrated certain behaviors was the mission. They said that all of it was the mission. Just the sight of them doing whatever -- from getting their teeth fixed to licking a counter -- constituted the Duggar mission. Same for the Dillards, I expect. Seriously. I think it's that simple. When you pay, you're paying the Duggars for being an incredibly value mission for Christ in every hour of every one of their days.

Sadly I suspect you're right - at least that was always my mother's contention about her cousins fundie-ing around a midsized city in their frumpers.  (In the meanwhile, other more worldly family members, thought the frumpers were leading to some weird behavior where shop clerks treated them like Amish.)  

But it is incomprehensible to me that any human being could be that self satisfied.

I believe and trust those of you who say it could happen; I just don't believe their minds can work that way.  How do they think that people admiringly think "Wow, look at those modest girls", instead of "hey, look at the freaks with skirts over their toes and turtlenecks on in mid-summer"?  

Why would Duggars think anyone wants their kid to emulate the counter-licker?  

Because I'm absolutely sure that is the point of a "good Christian example", making people think "I want to be like you"; and verily, even stop you in the hall/street to say "How do I get to be more like you?  What makes you different?"

Making people want to run a mile from you and your freakishness, does nothing for the Christian soldiers.

• Love 6

Derick is as big a douche as Ben. How did crunching numbers at Walmart help God's kingdom? Maybe God appreciates the kid of education that expands a person's mind and makes them a better thinker, too? Nah.

Jill is a total idiot. The first malpractice lawsuit will clean.them.out. She also can't focus on a single patient for 9 months.

I wonder if we will see her pursue nursing school in a few years.

As a nurse, no, no we wont. Jill would need a ton of remediation, a complete change of worldview, dedication, and a complete personality overhaul. Even then, it'd be hard on her on her.

• Love 12