Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

(edited)

I think Derick leaving Walmart was already in the works. I believe he quit to be available for filming. It probably pays better and then Jilly can have him home. Not sure what they will do now though, if TLC drops the whole family.

It really is quite the "reality" show when we can reasonably posit that people might actually quit their real jobs to be on it, isn't it? This kind of sums up the whole nutty enterprise to me.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 13

It really is quite the "reality" show when we can reasonably posit that people might actually quit their real jobs to be on it, isn't it? This kind of sums up the whole nutty enterprise to me.

That's what Jon Gosselin did and look at what that got him. I think working their regular 9 to 5 keeps them sane and gives them a break from the chaotic reality tv world. But I imagine with all the drama that's associated with working on a reality tv show, even trying to have a normal work experience is difficult bc of the "celebrity" or notoriety that comes with it.

Either way, normal people doing reality shows season after season is usually a recipe for disaster and their life before reality tv was better.

• Love 8

Ok. I'm just going to say it. Derick is a damn fool if he quit his job to become part of the TLC crazy train full time. (If he quit to take another similar job, that is something complete different.)

How can he think this is a good plan for his family's future? I'm not convinced that an accounting degree with only 1 year will be that marketable 5 years from now if he thinks he wants to go back,

I have empathy for Jill regarding her abuse during childhood. But if she had any common sense, she would not bring Derick down like this. If I was his mom, I would be so disappointed.

• Love 9

I am not familiar with TV contracts. Is it possible that you and Derek has already signed a contract with TLC to move to Nepal and do a spinoff. Would being a victim of abuse be a reason that would allow TLC to cancel the spinoff? If not TLC might have to pay them for not working

That's what Jon Gosselin did and look at what that got him. I think working their regular 9 to 5 keeps them sane and gives them a break from the chaotic reality tv world. But I imagine with all the drama that's associated with working on a reality tv show, even trying to have a normal work experience is difficult bc of the "celebrity" or notoriety that comes with it.

Either way, normal people doing reality shows season after season is usually a recipe for disaster and their life before reality tv was better.

It seems like most reality people have no job, pretend to have a job, quit their jobs but pretend to still have it.  Once in awhile they set up a fake job scene, rent office space and more pretend.

• Love 2
(edited)

Maybe he went to work for the FRC. I hear there's an opening.

Game, set and match. You've just won the Internet for 2015. I almost spewed coffee out my nose I was laughing so hard at your comment.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 4

I am not familiar with TV contracts. Is it possible that you and Derek has already signed a contract with TLC to move to Nepal and do a spinoff. Would being a victim of abuse be a reason that would allow TLC to cancel the spinoff? If not TLC might have to pay them for not working

I think the contacts for the Jill/Jessa spin offs were signed several weeks before the molestion reveal. There is a photo of Jessa and Ben at the TLC headquarters that she or he posted to social media. The photo was most likely taken after the signing.
  • Love 2

More than likely TLC will never pay for episodes that are not filmed.  Many times they don't pay for episodes that don't air.  No "work" is performed until the episode is filmed, therefore there is nothing earned. 

• Love 2

I know the Duggars have spoken at length about their opposition of chemical birth control.  I'm assuming they probably also have issues with barrier birth control (condoms, diaphragms, spermicide).  What about natural family planning, often called the rhythm method.  Is there any indication that Jill and Derrick know about fertility charting?  I know they've said that they aren't going to do anything to prevent the number of children sex/god gives them, but does that include not even paying attention to Jill's cycle?  

More than likely TLC will never pay for episodes that are not filmed.  Many times they don't pay for episodes that don't air.  No "work" is performed until the episode is filmed, therefore there is nothing earned. 

And network attorneys always give themselves an out. 

• Love 4

It's also possible that Derick has gone to work for his own mother. With her being so sick, her work might have piled up and she was in a position to hire him once he had some professional experience under his belt. This would allow him flexibility for missions/filming, AND a job that he could do that would support his family without relying on JB solely.

• Love 1
(edited)

I know the Duggars have spoken at length about their opposition of chemical birth control. I'm assuming they probably also have issues with barrier birth control (condoms, diaphragms, spermicide). What about natural family planning, often called the rhythm method. Is there any indication that Jill and Derrick know about fertility charting? I know they've said that they aren't going to do anything to prevent the number of children sex/god gives them, but does that include not even paying attention to Jill's cycle?

Jill has plenty of experience with fertility charting, probably more than 12-15 years worth! All the older girls do. They kept up with Michelle's chart religiously, which was posted in a common area (I think) in the house for easy access.

We have no indication that Jill and Derick are doing this, but I'd bet $100 they are. I think they will purposely try to eek out children as quickly as they can and as many as they can if Jill has anything to say about it, but that's my opinion.

It's also possible that Derick has gone to work for his own mother. With her being so sick, her work might have piled up and she was in a position to hire him once he had some professional experience under his belt. This would allow him flexibility for missions/filming, AND a job that he could do that would support his family without relying on JB solely.

You're far more optimistic than I am, GEML.

That would be a best case scenario indeed.

Edited for formatting

Edited by msblossom
  • Love 5

I'm just going to be a bitch and say it: I don't think Jill is a smart person. Even if she'd been at public school she seems like the type of student who would have struggled and had to put in three times the amount of studying as the other kids. I always wondered if lay midwifery was her first choice or her last resort because she didn't have the grades or the test scores to qualify for an accredited program.

Not all kids are fast learners and there's nothing wrong with that, but I don't think Jill could do two years of college coursework.

She doesn't seem to me to be of such low intelligence that she would struggle in college. It really isn't that difficult.

• Love 1

Jill has plenty of experience with fertility charting, probably more than 12-15 years worth! All the older girls do. They kept up with Michelle's chart religiously, which was posted in a common area (I think) in the house for easy access.

We have no indication that Jill and Derick are doing this, but I'd bet $100 they are. I think they will purposely try to eek out children as quickly as they can and as many as they can if Jill has anything to say about it, but that's my opinion.

So they definitely do know how to limit their family size, then.  And Jill commenting on her two due dates does seem to support that she has knowledge of fertility charting.  

I saw an article where Jill had said they wanted as many children as god gave them.  That quote is so strange to me, because they said it with the implication that there is no natural way to prevent pregnancy.  It made me wonder how they logic this.  If they are the sort who believe a god's hand is involved in everything, then why wouldn't they also believe that a god's hand is involved in limiting family size by monitoring one's fertility?  Do they think the devil is at work outside of EWCM (that's egg white cervical mucus, big indication of most fertile time) days?  

I guess I just wish they would stop saying illogical things like "we want as many children as god/sex will give us" (and it drives me crazy that they use god in place of sex) rather than simply admitting that they are part of the quiverful movement and want to help create this specific sort of army for god or even that they just want a lot of kids because Jill's fecundity would be the only reason they can seek fame.  (though, i admit that even though I'm radically opposed to these people's beliefs, I would tune into a spin off show where they are discussing their own attempts at natural family planning, with specials in the future showing how they managed to have 2.5 kids by charting their fertility.)

• Love 4
(edited)

So they definitely do know how to limit their family size, then. And Jill commenting on her two due dates does seem to support that she has knowledge of fertility charting.

I saw an article where Jill had said they wanted as many children as god gave them. That quote is so strange to me, because they said it with the implication that there is no natural way to prevent pregnancy. It made me wonder how they logic this. If they are the sort who believe a god's hand is involved in everything, then why wouldn't they also believe that a god's hand is involved in limiting family size by monitoring one's fertility? Do they think the devil is at work outside of EWCM (that's egg white cervical mucus, big indication of most fertile time) days?

I guess I just wish they would stop saying illogical things like "we want as many children as god/sex will give us" (and it drives me crazy that they use god in place of sex) rather than simply admitting that they are part of the quiverful movement and want to help create this specific sort of army for god or even that they just want a lot of kids because Jill's fecundity would be the only reason they can seek fame. (though, i admit that even though I'm radically opposed to these people's beliefs, I would tune into a spin off show where they are discussing their own attempts at natural family planning, with specials in the future showing how they managed to have 2.5 kids by charting their fertility.)

To me, it shows that the Duggars don't trust God with the size of their family. Instead, they manipulate things by charting and putting themselves and future children at risk when they PUSH PUSH PUSH for children at any cost. I also don't believe it's natural to pursue a family of obscene proportion. Most families, if they were to not prevent pregnancy naturally (not the Duggar method) would likely fall in the category of birthing somewhere between 5-7 kids on average.

And I'm also of the opinion that you should restrict the size of your family according to how you can adequately provide for them, which imo includes a college education or at the very least some support toward that. That said, my husband and I paid for our own education although we earned some small scholarships and my freshman year was footed by a wealthy aunt and uncle who also purchased a used vehicle for me at the time and gave me a tremendous opportunity and good start.

I honestly don't know how Derick defines "trusting God with the size of their family". I'm hoping in his case that a sensible and rational mind will prevail and that the size of their family will be limited to single digits, preferably closer to 3 or 4 and less than 7.

I actually hope the spinoff falls through and they all make a nice life for themselves away from the cameras. Particularly Jessa and Jill, who out of all the girls, come off as way too eager for this to provide a career for themselves and their spouses. To me, it only encourages them to go the way of JB & Michelle and that makes me ill quite frankly.

Edited by msblossom
  • Love 24

I just hope Jill can focus on herself and her family during this time. I wouldn't be surprised if she's getting pressure from her family to toe the party line but I would hope Derrick would stand up for her.

• Love 1

To me, it shows that the Duggars don't trust God with the size of their family. Instead, they manipulate things by charting and putting themselves and future children at risk when they PUSH PUSH PUSH for children at any cost. I also don't believe it's natural to pursue a family of obscene proportion. Most families, if they were to not prevent pregnancy naturally (not the Duggar method) would likely fall in the category of birthing somewhere between 5-7 kids on average.

I think this is a really good way of putting it.  Most people I know who use NFP and charting are doing so in order to limit family size, with failure rates being fairly low.  Jill and Derrick could easily do this, but they are instead going the opposite route (presumably, if they are charting). You're right, though, that they would have a relatively small family (compared to M&JB's 19 kids) if they weren't doing anything to monitor fertility, beyond just having a vague idea of the length of a typical cycle.  

• Love 6

I actually hope the spinoff falls through and they all make a nice life for themselves away from the cameras. Particularly Jessa and Jill, who out of all the girls, come off as way too eager for this to provide a career for themselves and their spouses. To me, it only encourages them to go the way of JB & Michelle and that makes me ill quite frankly.

I don't. I like them. They're adorkable. And just because they barely knew ea other when they got married, doesn't mean a famb thing. Hubby & I got married aft knowing ea other 3 mos, then we had a baby within a year.

And we just Celebrated our 30th anniversary.

Besides, at least Jill & Derrick don't spout off hate messages like Ben & Jessa.

I completely agree about the script. And I do think the kids are drilled and likely punished for going off of it.

But I don't think that ALERT and JTTH are anything approaching "reprogramming camps"

Especially in light of the Josh story. That isn't where they sent him. And the children seem to genuinely enjoy going. It's a privilege, not a punishment, to leave the Duggar home.

Josh went to ALERT later. He's seen with a shaven head in an early special when they're moving out of the Johnson Rd. house (where the abuse happened) to the "rent house." So I must disagree that it was a privilege for JOSH to leave the home. He left for punishment and for indoctrination to solidify his standing in a cult. I don't think Josh ever thought of it as a privilege 

However, Jana is so steeped in the koolaid that yes, JTTH is probably a vacation for her. I've only seen pics of Jill from two JTTHs, but there isn't a lot to be gained; she was in group pics, matching clothing. Remember that horrid pink, striped polo...I've seen six or seven girls in the same shirt at the same time. I think it was Joy's first JTTH. 

As for Jill, she just sort of fades into that woodwork. Good on Jill for trying to do *something* Too bad that her mentor turned out to be such a shyster. 

Maybe he went to work for the FRC. I hear there's an opening.

He might have to fight Ben for that! Ben seems much more into that type of polemic. But I guess he's too busy working on his budding televangelist career? Heh.
  • Love 3

It seems like most reality people have no job, pretend to have a job, quit their jobs but pretend to still have it. Once in awhile they set up a fake job scene, rent office space and more pretend.

But what happens when the show ends? Do these people not think

• Love 2

Ok. I'm just going to say it. Derick is a damn fool if he quit his job to become part of the TLC crazy train full time. (If he quit to take another similar job, that is something complete different.)

How can he think this is a good plan for his family's future? I'm not convinced that an accounting degree with only 1 year will be that marketable 5 years from now if he thinks he wants to go back,

I have empathy for Jill regarding her abuse during childhood. But if she had any common sense, she would not bring Derick down like this. If I was his mom, I would be so disappointed.

Totally agree. A degree plus 1 year of experience is NOTHING. There are accounting folks out there with 20 or 30 years of experience, so no one is going to be tripping over a former reality star in 2022 bc he has a degree and a whole YEAR of experience and needs to get back into a corporate gig because he has 8 kids to support and TLC is long gone. For his professional career and his family's financial stability, I sincerely hope he is leaving WMT to go to some kind of smaller accounting shop where he may have more flexibility to live the Duggar lifestyle -- rather than quitting altogether to go to Nepal and/or film another TLC show with the thought of "oh well I can always go back if I need to, I have a degree and experience." Frankly ask any professional woman out there -- I know plenty who had 10 yrs of professional experience, took 5 yrs off to be with their young kids, and found it extremely hard to get hired again -- despite their decade of experience; I'm not saying it's impossible, but when 10 yrs of experience doesn't get you instant offers in your field, a yr isn't going to be that great for you.

• Love 7

Just throwing this one out here: I think derickdillard walked in the day after the Smuggar story broke and said he would need more time off, and his bosses gave him an ultimatum. In other words, I'm betting he had help. Something else: Wherever he went had better have great health insurance group coverage; Izzy is two months old and they're going to break the land-speed record with a second pregnancy.

• Love 5

Just throwing this one out here: I think derickdillard walked in the day after the Smuggar story broke and said he would need more time off, and his bosses gave him an ultimatum. In other words, I'm betting he had help. Something else: Wherever he went had better have great health insurance group coverage; Izzy is two months old and they're going to break the land-speed record with a second pregnancy.

I thought she already had the second baby.    :)

• Love 2

Maybe WMT bosses told him they would welcome him back.

His mother had a long career them, and may take that into account.

This happened to a guy at church with another company that's bigger than WMT, when he left to do mission work for 2 yrs. And they did welcome hom back.

I think that this is likely. They may want to like him -- either because of Cathy, or they may like him in his own right -- but he probably hasn't really been "present" this year. In a couple of years, Cathy will (I hope) be cancer free, the television show will be gone, and he will have a family to support. If he doesn't come back -- either because he likes being a missionary, or he has decided to go all-in or reality stardom -- that will be okay, too.

Has Cathy had a cancer recurrence? I've seen references to her being ill lately. I didn't believe she was sick again. Maybe yes she's not 100%, but I didn't think she was ill.

(edited)

Does Cathy have her own accounting firm now?

No, she works for something called Treehouse Sales & Solutions. It's a business consultancy in which a small group of former Walmart and Sam's Club employees advise/assist firms, internationally, with something -- except I'm not sure what. Maybe they help firms get into the Walmart/Sam's Club supply chain? Maybe they help companies get into any retail supply chain? Or any large multinational retail supply chain? Maybe they help people hone retail strategies that work for customers who would be Walmart patrons? All of the above? Plus any other problems that beset businesses trying to prosper in retail supply chains? I don't understand enough about the retail business to know. Anyway, here are a few things about them.

This, from http://www.zoominfo.com/s/#!search/profile/company?companyId=345980829&targetid=profile:

"Company Description: TreeHouse Sales & Solutions, Inc. in Northwest Arkansas helps companies improve their business with retail. We provide retail consultation and representation for you to the Wal Mart and Sam's Club markets throughout the world."

Other stuff --

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Treehouse-Sales-and-Solutions/133301553388090

http://treehss.com/

They have only a few employees at present. So maybe they need more. I would think if a company that small were hiring an accountant, though, they'd want to hire somebody who had experience with more aspects of accounting than Derick does. Being familiar with sales tax would seem useful for this business, but that wouldn't be the kind of accounting they need for their own business, and if he were on the consultancy end, I'm sure he would need familiarity with several different aspects of accounting. Isn't it usual for people to move among different accounting specialties to pick up the broader knowledge you'd need for something like that?

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 4
(edited)

Thanks Churchhoney.  I missed that completely.  

I wonder why Cathy goes by Dillard sometimes, Byrum sometimes and Dillard Byrum sometimes.

Edited by lookeyloo
  • Love 2

Thanks for that info, Churchhoney. I vaguely knew that Derick's mother wasn't a SAHM, but didn't realize the scope of her career. I assume she can speak coherent sentences without saying "like" and "awesome" every third word, and converse on a number of subjects. I wonder if Derick sees things in Jill that the public doesn't, and how things will go for them as time goes by. But, I think it's more likely that marrying Jill is just another step in the direction his life has been taking.

This is just what i've wondered about. The Duggars are fond of saying that guys look to marry women like their mothers. But from now on, I think they'd better at least add to that -- "Except for Derick. And Ben."

• Love 1

To be fair, I've noticed a lot of people Jill's age who say 'like' a lot. A friend of mine has a younger sister who is getting a double degree in law & psycology who says it constantly. We're always teasing her about how she'll sound in court. "Like, you honour, my client, like, pleads, like not guilty."

All her friends talk that way, and she has to make a real conscious effort not to.

• Love 7

I think the contacts for the Jill/Jessa spin offs were signed several weeks before the molestion reveal. There is a photo of Jessa and Ben at the TLC headquarters that she or he posted to social media. The photo was most likely taken after the signing.

I'm wondering what the ramifications or compensations are for whoever is responsible for backing out of a legal contract. If TLC cancels the contract, they may have to reimburse Jill and Derick for 'X' amount of dollars. Unless there's a clause built into the contract that would protect TLC from being forced to make any monetary compensations for cancelling.

• Love 1

If TLC cancels the contract, they may have to reimburse Jill and Derick for 'X' amount of dollars. Unless there's a clause built into the contract that would protect TLC from being forced to make any monetary compensations for cancelling.

Unless it's a regular broadcast network dealing with a big name star, I'm told it's very difficult to include a payment to the talent for the network changing it's mind on producing a show.  TLC being smaller probably is protected every way possible in their contracts.

• Love 6

Unless it's a regular broadcast network dealing with a big name star, I'm told it's very difficult to include a payment to the talent for the network changing it's mind on producing a show.  TLC being smaller probably is protected every way possible in their contracts.

Agreed. I work in law dealing with corporate contracts (thought not for media/television), and I'd be shocked if TLC would draft a contract in such a way that would say -- we will pay you whether the series goes forward or not. TV studios change their minds all the time when a better script comes along or when they do a pilot/1-2 episodes of a show, realize there is no viewer or sponsor interest and cut their losses. I highly doubt you get paid out on your contract in full unless you filmed a full season and all of it aired. Now -- in this case where any spin off could get dropped before filming even starts (I assume they haven't filmed or not much anyway), I imagine they get nothing or a small amount of compensation for the filming already done. Derick is the only one who could have an argument (if it's true) that he quit his job at WMT in reasonable reliance on the TLC job. But even then it's a long shot. Any case that would go forward would have an aspect of what did Derick do to defray his damages - sure you quit due to TLC, but when TLC told you the show was over -- did you do anything to mitigate your damages? Did you look for another job or try to get your old one back -- or did you just sue TLC and sit there assuming you'd get the contract value? Reasonable reliance can be a tough argument to win on -- for the same reason that there's always a risk that you accept a job offer, quit your job, go to your new employer on day 1, and they decide they have no job for you; it happens but there's little you can do to force the new employer to take you or pay you. 

This is just what i've wondered about. The Duggars are fond of saying that guys look to marry women like their mothers. But from now on, I think they'd better at least add to that -- "Except for Derick. And Ben."

I think they mean that only for THEIR family and other fundie families. As in -- Michelle is so great, what boy wouldn't want to find a girl just like her. With Cathy Dillard -- they're probably thinking -- well it's no wonder Derick married into OUR perfect Godly family so that we could show him the truth, the light, and the way, I mean what Godly young man would want to marry a heathen like that woman -- wearing pants, sporting short hair, working as a VP at a fortune 500, leading teams of MEN - gasp - at work, and daring to limit her family to TWO.

No clue what they think of Guinn. I mean she is fundie -- but clearly she seems to have an interest in raising her own kids and knowing them, seems unopposed to education at least at some level -- given that Ben got an AA degree, and likely used BC at some point given that she only has 7-8 kids. While she may not be as objectionable as Cathy, she certainly isn't the model wife like Michelle.

• Love 3

No clue what they think of Guinn. I mean she is fundie -- but clearly she seems to have an interest in raising her own kids and knowing them, seems unopposed to education at least at some level -- given that Ben got an AA degree, and likely used BC at some point given that she only has 7-8 kids. While she may not be as objectionable as Cathy, she certainly isn't the model wife like Michelle.

Likely not BC.  Probably just didn't purposely try to have as many children as possible and/or used NFP methods.  

• Love 3
(edited)
I think they mean that only for THEIR family and other fundie families. As in -- Michelle is so great, what boy wouldn't want to find a girl just like her. With Cathy Dillard -- they're probably thinking -- well it's no wonder Derick married into OUR perfect Godly family so that we could show him the truth, the light, and the way, I mean what Godly young man would want to marry a heathen like that woman -- wearing pants, sporting short hair, working as a VP at a fortune 500, leading teams of MEN - gasp - at work, and daring to limit her family to TWO.

Not necessarily. I think that is a pretty normal range for a couple who aren't preventing pregnancy yet aren't actively trying to have as many kids as possible. With strict NFP it would probably be lower still but higher than 2-3, plus there are miscarriages/fertility issues to consider.

I never thought about Derick picking a woman so unlike his mother before but it's really striking. Derick isn't much like Jim Bob but Jill didn't exactly choose him freely.

Jill and Derick celebrate their first anniversary in a week: what a year!

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 2

Not necessarily. I think that is a pretty normal range for a couple who aren't preventing pregnancy yet aren't actively trying to have as many kids as possible. With strict NFP it would probably be lower still but higher than 2-3, plus there are miscarriages/fertility issues to consider.

I never thought about Derick picking a woman so unlike his mother before but it's really striking. Derick isn't much like Jim Bob but Jill didn't exactly choose him freely.

Jill and Derick celebrate their first anniversary in a week: what a year!

I hope Jill and Jessa aren't brainwashed into believing their mission in life isn't only to crank out babies every 16 months.

260954.jpg

Ok I stand corrected -- agreed, it is likely that if you don't actively prevent pregnancy but also aren't trying to get pregnant every cycle, you'll likely only have 6-10 kids, not 19. So Guinn is ok. Yet Cathy must have done something to prevent.

Cathy must be stunned if she thinks about the "example" she provided to her sons re women vs. what Derick chose to marry. I mean he was raised by a well educated woman who managed to become a corporate executive while having a family life. By the sounds of it, she and Derick's dad had a marriage that was likely a partnership - she has said that while the boys were young, Derick's dad worked nights on the police force so they could have a parent home with the boys at times while Cathy was working. And then when she was hit with the tragic loss of her spouse, she was strong enough to finish raising teen boys on her own. 

And then her son marries a woman who thinks a woman's only role is popping out as many babies as she can, while remaining as uneducated and dependent on her husband as possible while still complaining if her husband isn't with her 40 hrs a week bc he has to - you know - earn a living. And not only does he marry such a woman, he decides she and her family's ways are better than his own family's ways and jumps right in -- whether it's filming the TV show or buying used and saving he difference or getting her pregnant on the honeymoon or taking a house from his father in law even knowing that he'd be beholden to the family even more or quitting the corporate job that he had said was his "dream" in a mere yr and a half.

I have a feeling it's been a long yr and a half for Cathy and Dan since the Duggars arrived on the scene.

• Love 12

I hope Jill and Jessa aren't brainwashed into believing their mission in life isn't only to crank out babies every 16 months.

260954.jpg

You know they are though. But i think they'll probably end up with like 7 or 8 instead of 19, i doubt they're as fertile as Momma Mechelle is.

To be fair, I've noticed a lot of people Jill's age who say 'like' a lot. A friend of mine has a younger sister who is getting a double degree in law & psycology who says it constantly. We're always teasing her about how she'll sound in court. "Like, you honour, my client, like, pleads, like not guilty."

All her friends talk that way, and she has to make a real conscious effort not to.

Unlikely Jill's affection for "like" is due to the conversations of her friends however. In her case, it's just a poor and immature vocabulary.

• Love 4

She doesn't seem to me to be of such low intelligence that she would struggle in college. It really isn't that difficult.

Must wholeheartedly disagree. College can be very difficult for many students, especially those without the proper preparation. Students are often pressured by parents, friends, high school staff, even society - to go right on to college from high school, often in programs their parents think they should take. Even when they are not yet really ready for it. And many cannot keep up - so much so that most universities these days offer remedial programs that can help students to get or stay up to speed while still remaining eligible for Federal aid etc. At my school it was referred to as the College Restoration Program and I knew a good number of students who needed a year or more of it to stay in school. I knew a fair number who left school even after participating in the program, without completing a degree of any kind. When I started college in the mid 70s, the statistic was that only one in four students who began a bachelor's program actually finished it. I was so stunned to hear this figure at that time that I asked the Director of Admissions at my school if that could really be true. I had a work-study job in the Admissions Office at the time. And I was told yes, basically that was the situation. I've been out of the field for several years now, so I haven't any idea what the ratio is today. But suffice it to say that there are MANY students who find college diffcult, for many reasons. Lack of preparation, and in the case of any Duggars, lack of family support, are two of the big ones. Count me among those who think any Duggar child who wants a college education will find it tough-going. Not impossible but any stretch, but you do have to want it. And you do have to be willing to work hard in most cases.

• Love 11

And then her son marries a woman who thinks a woman's only role is popping out as many babies as she can, while remaining as uneducated and dependent on her husband as possible while still complaining if her husband isn't with her 40 hrs a week bc he has to - you know - earn a living. And not only does he marry such a woman, he decides she and her family's ways are better than his own family's ways and jumps right in -- whether it's filming the TV show or buying used and saving he difference or getting her pregnant on the honeymoon or taking a house from his father in law even knowing that he'd be beholden to the family even more or quitting the corporate job that he had said was his "dream" in a mere yr and a half.

I have a feeling it's been a long yr and a half for Cathy and Dan since the Duggars arrived on the scene.

Derick may have been sucking up to his boss there. I’ve read other interviews from him where he implies that he saw accounting as more of a temporary job rather than a long-term career. He’s been pretty open about his heart being in mission work and that he and Jill hoped to become full-time missionaries one day. Maybe they decided now was that day. I think for Derick in particular, Nepal represented a time in his life where he probably felt more carefree and happy. Not that he was unhappy but there's a lot of drama going on in the Duggar/Dillard households going on right now. It's possible Derick sees Nepal (or anyplace where they can do mission work) as a welcome distraction for them to get away and maybe, just maybe, start creating an independent life for themselves. 

• Love 1

JB says "like" ALL THE TIME. I think it's just not as noticeable when a male of his age says it, while for some of us it's fingernails on a chalkboard when Jill gets all "like like like"-y. I noticed it before with JB, but I especially noticed it in the Megyn Kelly interviews. It's no wonder Jill picked it up.

• Love 1

I knew several families growing up who actually did just "trust god" -- not weaning early and desperately taking pregnancy tests every five minutes like the Duggars, but simply having sex and accepting the results, and depending on how old the women were when they started, 8-12 kids was the average. Still a lot! But I find their obsessiveness crazy -- it's like someone maniacally trying to find the latest piece for their collection. Never enough.

Vision Forum is perhaps MARGINALLY better than IBLP, but not much. I do like Guinn, though. She's likeable. 7-8 kids is a lot, though, and Guinn actually looks very young. I'm not even sure if she's 40 yet. Ben is her oldest and he's 19, and I think she said at one point that she and her husband were just as young when they got married. She could still have a few more kids. I'd put good money on the Seewalds never having used birth control, as Vision Forum also teaches that it's wrong.