Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, Growsonwalls said:

The lack of education in the J'slaves compared to their fundie spouses is sad. And from my experience over time it does cause a huge rift in the marriage. It's not an obvious rift like violence/infidelity/alcoholism/drug addiction. But it's more insidious, as husband and wife have less and less to talk about. 

Those old marriage manuals that urged wives to "read newspapers" while their husbands were away at work so they could talk about the day's events when he came home are sexist but they had a point -- home and hearth aren't enough to keep a marriage happy. You do have to be able to talk about things on the same level. 

True.  When I was in college one of my classmates who'd stopped her education after high school started college when her kids were in high school and she realized she'd be alone all day soon.  But her marriage took a hit when she'd get home after a day of moving around, learning things, talking to interesting people, etc; when she'd get home the most exciting thing her husband had to say was that he'd found a sale on hamburger.  They eventually divorced when she found a boyfriend among our classmates.  They were still married when I lost track of them.  They owned a nice home, had a pet pot bellied pig, and traveled often.  Her ex eventually recovered from the pain and now lives a quiet life doing his thing with his new wife.

When my daughter graduated high school, she took a couple of years before going to college.  She'd realized that the lifestyle she wanted to live couldn't be achieved with just a high school education.  She went to school full time and worked full time.  At first, her fiance thought about how much more money they'd have to spend, so he tried to start school, too.  He soon stopped attending because he said it was all too much, so he quit school and kept his regular entry level job.  But she was always at work or school, or studying, and he got bored and wandered off into another relationship.  She now admits that he did her a favor, but it really hurt at the time.

When my step mother started college back in the late 1950's, she met a guy who she knew was the right guy.  They got married over summer break and she had a baby during finals week the following year.  She stayed home with the baby and he started his third year of school.  After just a few weeks he asked her to ask her parents to babysit so she could go back to school.  He told her "You're so much more interesting when you get out of the house during the day."  She went back to school, which turned out to be the best thing because her husband died right after she graduated with her teaching degree and she was left with a baby and a toddler to support.

• Love 22
15 hours ago, galaxychaser said:

Ha I need to wear a bib. I’m a messy eater to this day. 

Years ago, a second cousin of mine got married. It was at a swanky country club. We sat at a table with my cousins. The napkins were gorgeous, edged in white and the cloth was very sheet. My cousin picked it up and made a comment how this thing was not going to help her! 

• LOL 7
5 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

Meh, so she can't spell. My college educated friend also spells it 'add', she's an awful speller and well aware of it. 

You should see the emails from the vice president of the company my husband works for..Holy bad spelling!

Jill spells the way she was taught, Izzy and Sam will probably be no better..

• Love 7
10 minutes ago, PradaKitty said:

Regarding the cheerful simpleton’s spelling, I have found that people who read for pleasure are usually very good spellers (probably pick it up subconsciously when they see the written word).  As we know, there wasn’t a lot of reading (for pleasure OR education!) at the ol’ Duggar homestead. 

Often but not always! I know some avid readers who are still terrible spellers, though to be fair, they also struggle with dyslexia. 

I don't think Jill is dyslexic, but I would also agree she is not an avid reader. It was certainly never modeled for her at home. 😞 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 10
6 minutes ago, Zella said:

I don't think Jill is dyslexic, but I would also agree she is not an avid reader. It was certainly never modeled for her at home. 😞 

Although if any of the Duggar kids did have a learning disability like dyslexia, would Michelle even have a clue?  And if she did have a clue, would she care? 

• Love 9
3 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

Although if any of the Duggar kids did have a learning disability like dyslexia, would Michelle even have a clue?  And if she did have a clue, would she care? 

Agreed! 😞

• Love 6
11 hours ago, Zahdii said:

True.  When I was in college one of my classmates who'd stopped her education after high school started college when her kids were in high school and she realized she'd be alone all day soon.  But her marriage took a hit when she'd get home after a day of moving around, learning things, talking to interesting people, etc; when she'd get home the most exciting thing her husband had to say was that he'd found a sale on hamburger.  They eventually divorced when she found a boyfriend among our classmates.  They were still married when I lost track of them.  They owned a nice home, had a pet pot bellied pig, and traveled often.  Her ex eventually recovered from the pain and now lives a quiet life doing his thing with his new wife.

When my daughter graduated high school, she took a couple of years before going to college.  She'd realized that the lifestyle she wanted to live couldn't be achieved with just a high school education.  She went to school full time and worked full time.  At first, her fiance thought about how much more money they'd have to spend, so he tried to start school, too.  He soon stopped attending because he said it was all too much, so he quit school and kept his regular entry level job.  But she was always at work or school, or studying, and he got bored and wandered off into another relationship.  She now admits that he did her a favor, but it really hurt at the time.

When my step mother started college back in the late 1950's, she met a guy who she knew was the right guy.  They got married over summer break and she had a baby during finals week the following year.  She stayed home with the baby and he started his third year of school.  After just a few weeks he asked her to ask her parents to babysit so she could go back to school.  He told her "You're so much more interesting when you get out of the house during the day."  She went back to school, which turned out to be the best thing because her husband died right after she graduated with her teaching degree and she was left with a baby and a toddler to support.

I hate to say this, but I see future difficulties between Derick and Jill that a common religion won't bridge. Derick is pursuing not just college but an advanced degree; Jill probably has less than a high school education and no experience navigating an academic environment. Whatever will they talk about? Lotion, beige food, and yays go just so far. She should get a GED if she doesn't already have one, and then take some community college courses as an investment in her and her family's future. Of course, if she won't send her kids to school, why would she go? Derick will need to step in at some point, and I'll think better of him if he does. 

Edited by BradandJanet
spelling matters
  • Love 19
11 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

Michelle doesn’t care about her blessings. Maybe Joshua and Josie. Even Josie isn’t getting evaluated and proper education.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, laurakaye said:

I think she wouldn't catch it and if by some miracle she did, she wouldn't care. My daughter is suspected to have it but she has a special teacher who works every day with her outside of the regular classroom and she's making so much progress. Boob and Meeechelle are doing these kids no favors, the only thing they are good for is being one of the Nineteen. 

• Love 7
52 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

WTF, Jill? 

It took me a minute to decipher what she meant by what Sam was saying. Poor child. He does not look happy with that meal (?). No vegetables? I doubt he was asking for more...unless he feared starvation if he didn’t. 

• Love 5
12 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

It took me a minute to decipher what she meant by what Sam was saying. Poor child. He does not look happy with that meal (?). No vegetables? I doubt he was asking for more...unless he feared starvation if he didn’t. 

what's he saying? I can't figure it out!

• Love 3
Just now, Oldernowiser said:

Yikes. She can’t even spell fake toddler speak.

Sam wants more turkey, Jill. Quit screwing around with your phone and give it to him

And do we really need five pictures of the same basic thing? I wonder what she does all day besides post on Instagram. Have we seen any evidence of Izzy and homeschooling lately? You know as soon as Derelict is done with his exams they will all be on Christmas break, lol.

• Love 15
1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

He looks like Oliver:  Please sir, I want some more

1 hour ago, galaxychaser said:

Izzy probably finished first grade already 🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

Sam really has the best side eye ever.

Oh by now, he must be applying to college. 🤣

• LOL 11

My guess is that Jill has an 8th grade education if that. I don’t think her GED counts for anything.

When Jill got her GED it represented a 9th grade education It's since been made harder and more reflective of a full High School education.

• Useful 4
  • Love 2
14 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Holiday decorating. Are you excited? 😂

It's 16 minutes long.  There are a lot of people on youtube that have more interesting posts.  This just is so boring.  Jill needs to edit.

Edited by wilsie
  • Love 16

Well of course you need to replace the lights on your pre lit tree - especially if someone gave you a USED one!  I did that the past few years and finally bought a new pre lit tree this year. 
And you do NOT put the extra lights on the tree AFTER putting on the ornaments!! 
(morons!)

• LOL 7
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

WTF, Jill? 

Maybe Jill was thinking Oliver Twist. I'm sure she read it at the SOTDRT.

"He rose from the table; and advancing to the master, basin and spoon in hand, said: somewhat alarmed at his own temerity:

'Please, sir, I want some more.'"

• LOL 5
  • Love 10

How many basic workbooks for Jill to consider the kid done with school?  Since she's never seen real education, I doubt she knows more than shoving poor Israel through the workbooks never mind comprehension of the material or whether he has the appropriate breadth and depth of material.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, Absolom said:

How many basic workbooks for Jill to consider the kid done with school?  Since she's never seen real education, I doubt she knows more than shoving poor Israel through the workbooks never mind comprehension of the material or whether he has the appropriate breadth and depth of material.

Considering in a video made Friday he didn’t recognize his name in print, numerous times.......

• Love 3
1 hour ago, BradandJanet said:

Maybe Jill was thinking Oliver Twist. I'm sure she read it at the SOTDRT.

"He rose from the table; and advancing to the master, basin and spoon in hand, said: somewhat alarmed at his own temerity:

'Please, sir, I want some more.'"

Obviously you have had some education. 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, wilsie said:

It's 16 minutes long.  There are a lot of people on youtube that have more interesting posts.  This just is so boring.  Jill needs to edit.

Most of the YouTubers that I watch always talk about editing which apparently takes quite a bit of time. But Jill doesn’t seem to have a clue. It’s like if she films it, we will enjoy it. 

• Love 15
24 minutes ago, ozziemom said:

Most of the YouTubers that I watch always talk about editing which apparently takes quite a bit of time. But Jill doesn’t seem to have a clue. It’s like if she films it, we will enjoy it. 

I forced myself to watch the first few minutes, and I didn’t enjoy one second of it.  I found it particularly sad that Israel didn’t even recognize his own name.  He’s what now, 4-years-old?  Shouldn’t he know his own name when he sees it?

• Love 16

The following is one small example of the favoring of Sam over Israel when Derick was putting up the tree:

Derick: We've had this since we've been married, right?

Jill: Yeah.  Sam, are you excited?

Sam: Uh-huh.

Jill: Jay-Jay [not sure what nickname she was using for Israel here], are you excited?

Israel: Yeah.

Jill: Yes ma'am.

Israel: (Smaller voice) Yes ma'am.

If you're going to teach children to say Yes ma'am and Yes sir, you need to enforce it with all children of talking age.  And you don't get to use 'Yeah' when you immediately tell your son not to say the same thing.

Idiot.

• Love 8

I think that Derick and Jill dislike and resent Israel because in their minds, he's permanently linked to their days in Central America, a period of their lives that they'd both like to forget. Jill was miserably unhappy, lonely and frightened and, no matter how much he tried to spin things, Derick must be aware that his missionary efforts were a complete failure. Now that they've re-invented themselves as Future Lawyer and Happy Homemaker, Israel represents an unhappy past, while Sam represents a fresh start. Subconsciously, they may even blame Israel for their failure as missionaries: "If we hadn't been saddled with the baby, everything would have been different". I have a terrible feeling that they've already set Israel up for a lifetime as the family scapegoat.

• Love 3