Type keyword(s) to search

Josh & Anna Smuggar: A Series of Unfortunate Events

• Start Topic

Smuggar seems to have a lot of time to do whatever he wants at this job. Which, he probably only got because his last name is Duggar. I doubt he's qualified for it. Then again, do you have to have a high school education to spread hate?

I'm rereading the People announcement article and Josh says

"If someone told me when we got married, I'd have three kids and one on the way, I'd have been overwhelmed," 

What was he expecting?? He married a woman who says things like "Practice makes progress and progress makes babies" and she believes "8 is a good start. Josh, your own mother has 19 kids.

What was he expecting??

• Love 4

I think josh loves kids and all but he seems a bit stressed and not so enthusiastic about so many kids so close in age.

I don't feel sorry for him at all. He is an adult and most likely has very good medical insurance. If he was so concerned with the size of his family already (and he freaking should be; if he lost his job they'd have nothing to fall back on) he should get himself to the doctor and start exploring birth control methods. The doctor's office is bound by law to keep the conversation confidential. He can have condoms shipped to his house if he is so worried about others finding out about the use of birth control.

I also think it's hilarious that he claims he's "run the numbers" and they won't be having 19 kids. As long as they continue boinking without actively using birth control, the sky's the limit.

• Love 1

I think he's counting on a minimum 2 year spacing of the kids and that the intervals will keep getting longer.  Maybe they're doing a little something to insure the spacing or Anna takes more after her mom who only had eight.  Some women fertility takes a sharp drop in the late 30s and maybe he's hoping for that also.  

Smuggar seems to have a lot of time to do whatever he wants at this job. Which, he probably only got because his last name is Duggar. I doubt he's qualified for it. Then again, do you have to have a high school education to spread hate?

They can't film his job for the show, though. TLC made it pretty clear that they were staying away from it. They obviously know that's a hot button issue, and they want continued ratings for their sanitized version of the Duggars. 

So no, they can't follow Smuganna on the road as he campaigns for hate-mongers around the South (I haven't seen him go anywhere else on his work-related campaign swings). They've already done one RV trip, and got busted with the Jana situation. Really, what else is there with this branch of the family aside from Anna popping out an M blessing every two years?

Josh "running the numbers" (and figuring he and Anna won't end up with 19 kids) is based on his home schooling. As long as they continue getting attention and are sought after for magazine exclusives and television"big announcements", they can bask in their pseudo celebrity status. 

NO ONE really cares how many kids you have, we watch for the impending train wreck. 

• Love 1

Ummm, Josh "running the numbers" to see how many kids they would have, IMO, is NOT leaving it up to God, now is it?

Josh, I have some news for you, you ARE overwhelmed; you are simply not allowed to acknowledge that truth.

• Love 1

My prediction for the baby's name is Madyson/Madisyn. Runners up would be Maryah (Mariah) and Mykelti. I'm not sure if TLC would allow them to steal names from Sister Wives though, so maybe they'll save those for future M's, once the Duggars or Sister Wives gets canned.

LOL at the idea of Josh doing any kind if math, but I have to say I think he's right. (Way to go, school of the dining room table.) Anna will be 27 in June, so if she continues at the current rate of every other year, she will have their 10th when she is 39. Anna doesn't seem to be the most fertile of Myrtles (by typical standards she is absolutely blessed, but not in the same way J'chelle was) so I'm expecting her fertility to slow down from here, between being overwhelmed by 4 kids and not being desperate for more, as well as her body slowing down on it's own. I would be shocked if they had more than 8 total.

• Love 1

I hope that for their sakes they don't have more than 8.  Since they are living in DC as opposed to ruralish Arkansas, their kids are being raised very differently to the original Duggar children.  Unlike with Jim-Bob and Michelle, Smuggar and co don't have endless amount of space in DC.  Equally, Josh is barely qualified for anything, Jim-Bob at least finished a real high school and got experience in local government (or whatever it was that he did).  Josh got a job from his dad and his chances of finding another one that supports 10 kids are slim to none.  Eventually the cameras will bugger off and Josh will have to work out how far you can stretch one persons salary before (gasp!) needing financial help.  

I would hope that they could see the sense in sticking with 8 or so kids.  

• Love 1

I was thinking about when TLC and the Duggars will eventually part ways for good (it's bound to happen) and Joshiepoo's FRC gravy train comes to a screeching halt. I wonder how Anna would react if her headship told her that she needed to get a *gasp* job to help support the brood that she insisted/begged/demanded they have. Has she ever worked, even before they got married?

• Love 2

I was thinking about when TLC and the Duggars will eventually part ways for good (it's bound to happen) and Joshiepoo's FRC gravy train comes to a screeching halt. I wonder how Anna would react if her headship told her that she needed to get a *gasp* job to help support the brood that she insisted/begged/demanded they have. Has she ever worked, even before they got married?

I don't think that's in their vocabulary, is it? "work".....

• Love 1
(edited)

This one and the next girl will be Madisyn and Makayla, thus completing the trilogy of names I most hate. (Well, I also hate Addison. It's a disease, people!)

Then again, it could be Maisie, then we'll know Josh reads here.

Edited by Abstract
  • Love 4

I would like Mary but not Mary Anna. Mary Jana?

Then there's Meredith or Meredyth.

I know other little Maisie in real life, it's trendy in some circles. In the same circles, Matilda or Margot are also popular. 

I think's its more likely Madison or some spelling of Madison. 

other choices include Mia, Mila, Madeline and Margaret. 

Did anyone see that Big Announcement during the next show? I admit, I dozed off for a few moments at the beginning, and I didn't see it..did they air it? and what was it?

I watched the show after 19 kids & also didn't see any Special Announcement. I forgot all about it.

I don't feel that sorry for Josh, but I do think he's already feeling the strain of fatherhood and it's not looking pretty. He's probably going to end up close to a nervous breakdown around the 5th kid and end up driving off to the nearest urologist's office in sunglasses, a trench coat, and over-sized hat for a secret snip-snip.

• Love 2

I think M4 will be Madisyn. Spelled just that way to match the random "y" in Mackynzie. So, they will have girl, boy, boy, girl. Exact same gender and order that I have. The difference being #4 was where I called a halt, and I expect there will be many more M'Duggars to go.

While I personally have a hard time wrapping me head around a belief system where birth control is not an option, I think they have a right to not use birth control if they both want lots of kids and they can support them. My problem is when they start acting like theirs is the superior or godly way. I doubt that God's plan for all women, no matter what their gifts, talents and inclinations, is to have as many babies as possible and homeschool for the rest of their lives.

• Love 5

My guess is Madyson, Madelyn, or Macy.

I won't presume to guess what level of math Josh completed but I'm sure he can do basic addition and subtraction and is aware of his monthly income in relation to their expenses and I have a really hard time imagining him giving up his life of moderate ease to have a hockey team van size family. I feel this way about the majority of the Duggar kids but especially the ones old enough to really remember 17 people smushed into a 3-bedroom house. 4 kids in 6 years is still within the norm and I'm fairly sure I'm not just saying that since that's what I have (or will, after #4 is born this summer), we'll see how it shakes out in the next few years. But as was mentioned above, if they stay at this every 2 years thing, they will have a large family by any standard but not mega.

That video they did would have been a lot better if it weren't totally obvious that they were cribbing from cue cards, incidentally. Good thing the kids are cute.

Now that Anna has scored her Keeping Up With The Joneses baby, I'm hoping they slow down. Josh looks like he's barely holding on to his sanity as it is.

As far as names, I think Anna is going to go trendy. Most likely Madison or Michaela with some God awful variation on the spelling. Since when did it become mandatory to throw in ten extra consonants when naming your kid? Drives me freaking crazy.

• Love 8

Since we are so fond of our Maisie, i see them picking this beautiful name.

If they go with Maisie, it's because they followed the trend, not because they know either of the meanings our board has for the name. Hell, I doubt they even know about Game of Thrones. 

• Love 2

I'm going with one of these names: Mya/Mia, Melody, Megan/Meghan, Marissa, Mallory, or Meredith.

I hope they don't do something like either Makenna, which is way to close to McKenzie, or Margo, which is the baby name I've chosen if I'm having a girl this October.

• Love 1

Neither Josh nor Anna looked excited to me in their much "anticipated" M4 announcement...they both seemed flat and bored. They tried to look like they were drumming up interest and excitement from their audience, but failed to do so IMO. Why is Anna fixated on so many children? I'm sure she knows what it's all about and that she can't handle the 3 she already has? Some couples, I understand prefer to have them all up front and get the diaper stage over with while the parents are still young, but they close up shop after that and move along in life enjoying and loving the kids they have...but why would a continuing baby train be something they push for us all to aspire for? How IS Josh going to pay for the upkeep of his family? Someone should ask him that directly and exclude "God will provide" as his answer as that isn't answering the question as to what his financial plan is...

• Love 3

If they go with Maisie, it's because they followed the trend, not because they know either of the meanings our board has for the name. Hell, I doubt they even know about Game of Thrones.

I agree, but hope they don't name her Maisie. I don't want a Duggar to share the name of OUR blessed little Maisie. Call me selfish.

• Love 4
(edited)

I had no idea that Maisie was considered a trendy name. I don't know a single child with that name and didn't know it was becoming popular. I don't really like the name, tbh, but I could be mispronouncing it in my head,

I do adore the name Margo though.

Edited by trimthatfat
  • Love 1

Neither Josh nor Anna looked excited to me in their much "anticipated" M4 announcement...they both seemed flat and bored. They tried to look like they were drumming up interest and excitement from their audience, but failed to do so IMO. Why is Anna fixated on so many children? I'm sure she knows what it's all about and that she can't handle the 3 she already has? Some couples, I understand prefer to have them all up front and get the diaper stage over with while the parents are still young, but they close up shop after that and move along in life enjoying and loving the kids they have...but why would a continuing baby train be something they push for us all to aspire for? How IS Josh going to pay for the upkeep of his family? Someone should ask him that directly and exclude "God will provide" as his answer as that isn't answering the question as to what his financial plan is...

I think it's Anna's doing. I wouldn't be surprised if she planned it without Josh's input. I think Josh understands the economics and the challenges it poses in providing for a large family. I doubt he wants to live the way he was raised.

• Love 1

I haven't heard the name Maisie lately, either. Daisy is becoming popular again to my dismay (I hate flower names for girls, YMMV). I figure they'll go with Makayla or McKenna so they can have a Kenzie and Kayla/Kenna. 

I love the name Margo, it's very Old Hollywood glam.

I think Anna may wake up if her supply of free help dwindles. I think Jinger will likely be the next J'Slave to be married. There's no way Michelle will allow Jana and Joy to keep flitting out to D.C., especially if it means she has to take care of her children on her own.

• Love 3

Well, I think Maisie is popular because of the Game of Thrones actress--Maisie Williams. I have to admit that I am still a student, and I don't actually know anyone pregnant, so i'm not sure what types of names are currently popular. I kind of wish Josh and Anna would go for Marie, though, which is another favourite. (Unfortunately, I'm also a writer, so I have many favourites)

I figure they'll go with Makayla or McKenna so they can have a Kenzie and Kayla/Kenna. 

That would be really cute! and all the kids have that hard k/c sound. they should keep that up.

• Love 2

I'm betting on Meredyth, Madisyn or Mollye.  Maybe Mya (Mia, not Maya).  Mykenna is a possibility but pretty close to Mackynzie. 

Michaela/Mikayla is an adorable name, though, so I kind of hope they go that way.  Probably "Mykayla." 

(edited)

Does anyone know Anna's due date? I know I read she's due sometime in June.

For the record, I'm old school and don't lyke the creative spelling with y's; it bugs me.

Still loving Molly, but I love many of the suggestions y'all have put out there. Mikayla, Madison, Macy, Maisie, Megan, & I adore Margo.

Edited by msblossom
  • Love 3

Internet varies between early June, and July 10, I think the second is more reliable and likely as it seems they just found out the gender and I'm due July 13 and just had my ultrasound. Timeline is hard to tell with these people...

• Love 1
(edited)

I like Molly, Maisy, & Margo(t), but I don't want the Duggars taking any of the names I like.

Since they have a Mackenzie (however the hell you spell it), I think they will go for a similarly trendy & weirdly spelled name.

I think Josh's family will always have a spot on the Duggars show because the leg humpers probably love seeing the cute little ones. As JBoob & Mechelle's brood gets older I think the little ones (Josh's, & soon, Jill's) will steal the show. I remember being surprised that my Grandma liked to watch Full House. She told me it was because the little girl (Olson twins) were so cute.

Edited by Mrsjumbo
  • Love 3

I'm going with one of these names: Mya/Mia, Melody, Megan/Meghan, Marissa, Mallory, or Meredith.

I hope they don't do something like either Makenna, which is way to close to McKenzie, or Margo, which is the baby name I've chosen if I'm having a girl this October.

I love the name Margo! I had a cat named Maisie years ago. I later wished I had saved it for my baby.

I agree M4 might be Madysen or Mikayla... I don't know, I hope it's something different from Makynzie (?) - it's bad enough they'll all be "Ms"

• Love 1

Glad to get some Margo positive feedback! It's sort of a different choice, but I like it (Despicable Me also).

If Josh and Anna pick Mariah, Mykelti, Madyson/I, I will wonder if someone has been watching Sister Wives...maybe getting an alternative idea from placing the child raising on the older daughters. McKensie seems so happy and sweet-for real- that I hope that doesn't change later (except for normal teen angst).

I noticed in Josh's ice cream birthday party photo that Anna has bought the "full fat" Edy's Ice Cream container...come on, Anna, try a little...Edy's HALF FAT ice cream is delicious and you really can't tell that it's half the fat...She doesn't do a good job of looking out for her husband's fat intake it would seem...I hope Josh is prepared for his eating habits down the line....or Anna is just plain dumb.

I don't see why Anna should be held responsible for Josh's eating habits, he's a grown man not a child. And if the headship says he prefers full fat, then full fat is what will be served.

• Love 14