Type keyword(s) to search

Josh & Anna Smuggar: A Series of Unfortunate Events

• Start Topic

I know that Josh is smarter than most people but how was he planning to hook up with a fake FB picture and profile?  He gets to the secret love nest and surprise it's me - Josh Duggar!  Like what was that about?  OK the AM accounts well he wasn't using a fake photo right but still surprise again anyway right?  II mean he's been on TV.  The woman would have to be like where's Joe Smithson? What are you doing here Josh Duggar? 

You'd be amazed at the number of friends and acquaintances I have who have NO idea who the Duggar's are, let alone what Josh looks like. Once you bring up 19 Kids and Counting it's like, "Oh yeah, that weird family." But no concept of who they are, any current news on them...etc. etc. 

Their base on TLC may have been big for TLC; but in reality, they're just not that famous. Their FB account, for example, doesn't even have 1 million followers---which for a family who claims to be as big as they are, is pretty bad. 

• Love 6

I hope (too optimistically I know) that this will be a wake-up call to the Duggars to actually listen to what each of their children want on an individual level. How many friggin times did Josh say that he wanted to be a lawyer and have 2 or 3 kids???? I know he said it many times on camera so he must have said it many more times off camera. Look Duggars, I get that you are "in the right" when it comes to Jebus and God and stuff, but your lifestyle is very extreme. Josh made it very clear that he needed to grow up and mature before he got married. Sure, he did not use those words because he thought himself mature already, but he obviously knew something about himself that his parents were not picking up on at all. If you want to avoid another scandal then instead of doubling-down on reading the bible to your kids, consider listening to them on an individual level.

I was thinking about this last night. I tend to think the exact opposite is happening. I think Boob is going to tighten things up more than they ever were. I can picture cell phones and computers being taken from the kids that have them. I think what tiny bit of freedom they had is long gone. I think Boob thinks that's how he'll avoid another scandal.

I could be completely wrong though. I watched all of the early specials and some of the series but was never an avid watcher so I could be way off base.

Speaking of the early specials, I think 14 Kids and Pregnant Again was the first?

Anyway, what's the timeline with the molestation and the first specials? Was Josh still molesting when the first one was filmed or had he been "cured" by then?

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 4

I'm glad Anna has her brother Daniel looking out for her.  I don't see anything wrong with his public support and comments being that Josh dragged everyone through the mud, Daniel is just responding to that.  I completely agree with Daniel that Josh hasn't changed.  You don't go from years of living as Joe Smithson to 'I'm sorry and mean it this time' in 12 hours.  Josh's public apology versions took a day.  His double life as he calls it took years. Josh is full of shit with his apology and I bet he's thinking up ways to cheat and or is cheating at this very minute.

• Love 16

Agree. My bet is that Josh was looking - in essence - to be a teen, because he never got the chance when he actually was one.

A brilliant comment on all this I read somewhere "Josh paid $20/month to have a normal adolescence".

• Love 12

You'd be amazed at the number of friends and acquaintances I have who have NO idea who the Duggar's are, let alone what Josh looks like. Once you bring up 19 Kids and Counting it's like, "Oh yeah, that weird family." But no concept of who they are, any current news on them...etc. etc. 

Their base on TLC may have been big for TLC; but in reality, they're just not that famous. Their FB account, for example, doesn't even have 1 million followers---which for a family who claims to be as big as they are, is pretty bad. 

For me, too. Among my friends and nearer acquaintances, I have actually found nary a one who recognizes the name or even recognizes the name "19 Kids," although "that weird huge family" does seem to ring some faint bells. And that includes one group of people that's pretty heavy on the conservative evangelical end and another group that's heavy on liberal politics junkies. That really surprised me. (and maybe they're all hiding a secret obsession like my non-secret one) But to whatever extent it's true, it suggests that their fame is actually quite limited. .... And I suppose it's not that surprising, really. There are a heck of a lot of shows on television, and nobody knows about them all. Makes me anticipate their fame fading faster than they may anticipate. heh

Agree. My bet is that Josh was looking - in essence - to be a teen, because he never got the chance when he actually was one. To have some of the sowing-wild-oats experiences most of us tend to have long before marriage, as teens and 20-somethings. By going to school together, by working together, going to [unchaperoned] social events and a little something called Casual Dating. My Dad used to say that "Dating was trying other people on for size, and seeing who was - and wasn't - a good fit for you..." But thanks to idiotic Gothard teachings, Josh didn't go to school, or walk part-time at Chick-Filet, however that's spelled. And he certainly never attended unchaperoned social events with girls who weren't relatives. No wonder those poor kids looked forward to that Big Sandy, TX deal every year. Any chance to see and possibly even talk with ANYONE besides their own family had to be hugely attractive to them.

Yep. Being deprived of a childhood and adolescences makes you crave them in many weird ways.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 2

I wonder what, if any, changes Anna will make in response to Josh's infidelities.

Sadly, she'll probably start putting out more for him because she may think not pleasing him enough is what caused him to stray.

I do hope that realistically she stops procreating with him until they can get their marriage back on track if that's what she really wants. I wouldn't be surprised if ultimately Josh is the one to leave, no matter how much Anna tries to make things better.

• Love 4

Since all these folks seem like the type to use social media somewhat inappropriately - I've no problem with Anna's brother using it to offer her an off ramp and to let her know that she shouldn't accept pressure from their parents to stay in a relationship that she may finally want to leave. Though she may never take it, I'm glad that she has an escape hatch.

• Love 19

I don't think Anna has the spine to take the kids and leave. I don't mean that in a "she's spineless" way, I mean she hasn't developed one in that she's internalized all the KEEP SWEET, speak softly, support your headship, the only opinions that matter are your headship's memos. She doesn't even know what she, as a person, thinks. She doesn't even think of herself as a person, just a mother, wife, "good christian". She has no personal identity but boy this is the impetus to develop one. Or not. We will see what she does.

• Love 9

Based on the one "real life" instance I've seen of this situation, Anna will need to break free of her parents and their teaching before she'll have the nerve to leave her husband. It took several years in the case I saw.

• Love 3

Good for you, Daniel Keller! Not only are you standing up for your sister, AS YOUR PARENTS SHOULD BE DOING, but you also are offering her a place in your home. You are a gentleman to your sister and you are a shining example of a Christian man, sorry, not your father, or the Duggars in this case.

I also agree completely that there is a big difference between truly repenting, changing your ways, and getting caught. Both times, Josh was discovered. I believe the real truth about the molestation, is that Josh was "told on"..he didn't confess himself first.; this matter now, he knew his name was on the list,which was being made public...he got found out...I hope Anna realizes this and gives up the "doormat of the year badge".

• Love 17

To the bolded, this is what I mean when I say that Smuggar is not spiritually where he wants people to think he is. He has obviously been sinning has ass off for three years on AM as well as other pickup sites and Facebook. He may have sincerely sought repentance when he was 16, but he seems to have thought that he didn't have to do it again; that he was washed clean and that anything he did afterward, no matter how heinous and hurtful, was okay with the big guy upstairs. 

That's why I don't think he is really all that religious (and why Jessa's post today highlighting god's forgiveness was laughable). Smuggles spent 20 years at home learning the ins and outs of this cult. He knows how to say the right things. He's lied before, who's to say he isn't going through the motions to save his ass? From what we've seen of him, it wouldn't be the first time. 

I don't think he is particularly religious as well.  Not all children, after all, of religious parents end up with the same beliefs.  He's young yet though ( in actuality) and may come back to it when he's had a bit more life under his belt.  I was the same way in my 20s, but as I matured I became a much better Christian.  He might do himself and all involved a favor and just stand up and say "I don't have the same beliefs as you! I want to lead a secular life."  

• Love 4

For what it's worth, I'm on Team Daniel Keller all the way. From what I understand, Daniel posted those things on his private FB page, and one of his friends did a screen shot of it. So either Daniel thought he was keeping this private, or maybe he really doesn't give a shit. If my parents were so twisted that they were trying to convince my fragile, overwhelmed sister to stay with the man who molested his sisters and paid $1000 to very specifically cheat on her because Jesus says so, I'd be calling them out publicly too. If image is all they care about, that's exactly where they deserve to get hit.

I'm on team Daniel as well.  What I read was on Jessa's page where she posted a page of the bible regarding forgiveness. Imagine that.  Jessa needs to STFU with her BS preachy attitude.  It's so obvious.

Here are some of his responses because we know she might delete them soon.

Daniel Keller :You have to confess and forsake your sin to have mercy. Not sin confess and repeat.

Daniel Keller: I know that my sin sent Jesus to the cross just as did josh sin. But think for a min about the victims. Tell me how you would feel if someone cheated on your sister and brought so much disgrace to you and ur family. And when you done that. Go to hell you prik.

Daniel Keller: Yes he did because he confessed. Confessing and getting caught are two different things. You want to know what happens when you cover ur sin maybe you should go read ur bible instead of beating people over the head with it.

Daniel Keller :Yeah bitch I did. I have been thinking of her and sick to my stomach for her for last few days. Why you got a another bible verse to beat over my head?

Daniel Keller :I have told her I would pay for her to move out here w me and pay for her kidz. I don't think josh will see that this is a big deal and be truly broken till that happens. I beat my life on the fact that josh has not co.e to true brokenness yet.

Daniel Keller: Oh I know. But my parents are preaching stay w him. There more interested in how there daughter getting a divorce will make then look then they are in trying to truly get josh some help and getting Anna and the kids out of there till he has gotten that help.

Daniel Keller: Thanks for praying. I told her I would go get her and let her and her children stay w me. She said she's staying where she's at. But I won't stop trying to get that pig out of our family.

Daniel Keller: I was raised by them trust me that is ALL they care about.

Edited by truthtalk2014
  • Love 13

And that is 100% on her parents. 

As for Daniel publicly calling them to the carpet, first off, they won't see it, and secondly, they're adults. The relationship between them is strained at best (Daniel is invited down to FL for holidays, but that seems to be it). Daniel saw what the parents did to Suze when she got pregnant out of wedlock (she was shunned for a while, but now also is invited home for the holidays), so yeah, I think he has a good idea of what his parents' mindset is when their children stray from the Gothard fold. To give a brief time synopsis of when things happened, he was still living at home when Rebekah left Gothard, so he saw that firsthand. Josh and Anna went to his wedding when they were on their honeymoon in Myrtle Beach, so he was still living at home until he was about 24. . Rebekah is second oldest and married at 21, leaving Gothard soon after. He's seen plenty, and been on the receiving end of it, so I think he's fully qualified to speak as to their true motivations.

I think it's pretty likely that someone associated with the Kellers will show them Daniel's FB comments. I don't disagree with your post, and thank you for giving me the history on Anna's family/sibling background. I agree that the Kellers are self-serving assholes with tunnel vision. The only problem I had with Daniel's post was that he made it public; I know that's unpopular to say here. Opinions are like assholes -- everyone has one.

• Love 1

I'm glad the true message of this cult is being exposed. As others have said the general public sees them as that whacky Christian family with all the kids. They don't realize the vile under belly. The hatered/fear/ subjugation of women, the lack of education, the arranged marriages and the fear of the outside world. im glad that is all being exposed. Poor Anna, it's not easy to leave everything you have ever known. It takes a very very strong person. She has never had to make her own decesions or had any say in her own life. How can she be expected to do that over night? I think people who expect her to pack up and leave are viewing the situation through the eyes of someone who realizes they have choices. I don't think Anna knows she has choices. Thank you Mom and Dad for teaching me I could do anything and be whoever I wanted to be. Thank you for allowing me to question my faith and thanks for not freaking out when I went through my Buddhist phase as a teen.

Edited by nc socialworker
  • Love 24

I have no idea what is going on with those Kellers. They always did look like weirdos to me. Mrs. keller looks like she checked out a long time ago. 

According to the brother, they are horrible people. I'm not sure the brother is very objective though. Clearly there is bad blood there...how does he know for sure what is going on? Doesn't seem he is in contact with any of them. I wish he is in contact with Anna though. Maybe he could give her some spunk. 

That sermon was so FREAKING AWFUL.  That minister is a punk for preaching that crap in the middle of the Duggar scandal.

His point is valid; a spouse should make sex a priority in marriage. BUT TO PREACH THAT AT THE DUGGAR'S (sometimes) CHURCH AT THIS TIME? How awful for Anna. Everyone who heard or read that immediately thinks that is a slam to Anna. 

Nice job there, mr minister. Making Anna look like crap while blaming Josh's behavior on culture? Yep, culture is all sexed up and often trashy. But every married man is not doing what Josh did. Josh is a douchebag. No excuses and don't blame the culture. 

Mr. Minister needs to refer to Jessa's Instagram post...jessa preached it better! 

• Love 7

I'm Team Daniel Keller and word from FJ is that her sister Suze is also anti-Josh on her private account. 

I'm happy Anna has someone who is speaking reasonably; even though I have a feeling she'll never leave, at least the option is there. 

@NewDigs I've been married for almost 11 years, I am more Agnostic than Atheist though you could call me either, and I have 2 kids. I have no issue admitting that sex is a major priority in my marriage. Honestly, I don't understand how some survive on the lack of sex. That isn't to say that I think anyone should be forced to give consent or do it out of obligation---but it's definitely not an area I've ever let suffer in my life. Oh, and I'm a woman. 

Doesn't seem he [Daniel] is in contact with any of them. I wish he is in contact with Anna though. Maybe he could give her some spunk

I'm so off the the Prayer Closet for where my mind went on that one---I mean, Anna IS married to Josh after all. And Josh well...Bwahahahahaha! I needed that laugh, thank you!

• Love 4

I wonder if Daniel (or anyone else who is supporting Anna) would have more luck presenting the offer of a place stay and support etc as a way to give Josh the space he needs to focus on "getting better" and getting himself together. Then Anna would be away from him but she wasn't being told 'come live here and dump his ass'. Maybe ultimately then she'd have the nerve and support to actually leave him and she would have some distance to see that Josh really isn't going to get his act together.

• Love 9

I think Daniel will remain estranged from the rest of the family. Publicly slagging off her parents, in addition to publicly discussing what you discussed with her, in private, for no good reason doesn't really build trust.

• Love 4

I don't know why sex should be a "priority" in marriage.

A component, yes. But priority?

Are all of these fundy men horndogs?

I meant more along the lines of making your spouse and their sexual needs important in your life. My husband and whatever he needs (sex, help with work, a date night, taking care of the XYZ) is a priority for me. Not an obsession but a priority. I know I am his priority also...that includes regular life stuff, sex and making sure sex is good for both of us. 

The minister was aiming at that you should not deny your spouse sex, use it as a weapon in an argument, withold etc. His basic thoughts were not crazy but the TIMING???  There is a time and place for everything...this was neither the time nor the place. 

• Love 9

I'm Team Daniel Keller and word from FJ is that her sister Suze is also anti-Josh on her private account. 

I'm happy Anna has someone who is speaking reasonably; even though I have a feeling she'll never leave, at least the option is there. 

@NewDigs I've been married for almost 11 years, I am more Agnostic than Atheist though you could call me either, and I have 2 kids. I have no issue admitting that sex is a major priority in my marriage. Honestly, I don't understand how some survive on the lack of sex. That isn't to say that I think anyone should be forced to give consent or do it out of obligation---but it's definitely not an area I've ever let suffer in my life. Oh, and I'm a woman.

I'm so off the the Prayer Closet for where my mind went on that one---I mean, Anna IS married to Josh after all. And Josh well...Bwahahahahaha! I needed that laugh, thank you!

Bolding mine.

I am not saying I agree with a sexless marriage. I am saying I don't understand it being a priority.

Didn't Josh make it a priority? Does that make his indiscretions Anna's fault?

That's the read I'm getting.

• Love 2

I meant more along the lines of making your spouse and their sexual needs important in your life. My husband and whatever he needs (sex, help with work, a date night, taking care of the XYZ) is a priority for me. Not an obsession but a priority. I know I am his priority also...that includes regular life stuff, sex and making sure sex is good for both of us.

The minister was aiming at that you should not deny your spouse sex, use it as a weapon in an argument, withold etc. His basic thoughts were not crazy but the TIMING??? There is a time and place for everything...this was neither the time nor the place.

Why should my spouse be more important?

I signed on for something closer to an equal partnership.

ETA I get what you're saying. We are each others' priority. Just not understanding why SEX seems to often come to the fore. Seemingly before many other considerations.

Edited by NewDigs
  • Love 4

Maybe a secret feral love child would do it?

I honestly don't think even that would make Anna leave him, she knows now he molested his sisters...his sisters for Gods sake!

And now the latest news of him committing adultery, and she is still living in the same house as him!

I have felt very sorry for Anna, I don't think she deserves any of this, but, if she stays with him now, then I have lost patience with her.

• Love 7

I don't think Anna was unwilling to make herself available. After all, this is the same girl who's been on the baby train for the past six years. That requires a pretty healthy appetite for sex. Josh, on the other hand, did not want a large family so I'm wondering if HE was the one holding back. Ashley Madison probably appealed to him because it meant sex with no strings, i.e., no babies once a year.

I have felt very sorry for Anna, I don't think she deserves any of this, but, if she stays with him now, then I have lost patience with her.

Especially given that she has a sibling willing to take her in and support her until she can get things figured out. Even if she doesn't leave Josh, you'd think she'd take Daniel up on his offer just to get away from the Crazy House and clear her head.

• Love 6

I don't want to wander off Josh and Anna...but my husband and I are eachother's priorities...so that makes us equal. At least that is how we work it out. :) Neither one is more important or a bigger priority. Sex is an important part of a relationship so it's a priority for us that things are good between us. 

Josh made HIMSELF a priority with no consideration for his wife, children or his Duggar family (not that we care about J&M but still...). Josh is all about Josh. Or Joe Smithson. Or whoever he is at the moment. 

• Love 3
And in Quiverfull-land the penis reigns supreme.

NewDigs, when I read that in my mind's eye was a cartoon penis with a scepter and crown.  Thanks for the visual! LoL!

• Love 11

I keep thinking that poor Anna is only about five weeks post partum, I'd be in a fetal position at this point.

Seriously - she is still physically recovering from the birth. Some women are even still bleeding at 5 weeks post partum. I can NOT fathom going through all of this then. Dealing with the child molestation situation while pregnant was bad enough. But this just after birth while trying to care for 3 other kids, because you know Josh isn't, I would be beyond overwhelmed.

honestly I'm hoping this is one reason she's saying she's not leaving him. In that situation, still post-partum and your world falling apart she probably doesn't have the emotional fortitude to even ask herself if she should leave. I'm hoping some time will give her some perspective. 

Especially given that she has a sibling willing to take her in and support her until she can get things figured out. Even if she doesn't leave Josh, you'd think she'd take Daniel up on his offer just to get away from the Crazy House and clear her head.

THIS!!! - don't decide to divorce or not to divorce... just get some space for a while.

• Love 13

Bolding mine.

I am not saying I agree with a sexless marriage. I am saying I don't understand it being a priority.

Didn't Josh make it a priority? Does that make his indiscretions Anna's fault?

That's the read I'm getting.

From what I understand of their religion; no isn't an option and that no includes whatever type of sex Josh wants. 

However, given that Josh's problems started before he was married; I don't think sex with Anna was enough. Is it her fault? No. not to anyone who has common sense, logic, the time line, and even an ounce of understanding in the human psyche. However, I don't think anyone who follows ATI/Gothard to have common sense, logic, or an ounce of understanding of human psychology. They see everything in terms of right and wrong with no middle; should Josh have done what he did? Well, no, but if Anna had pleased him it wouldn't have happened...yet it would have, even if she was the kinky dominatrix I have a feeling he wanted to be with. They just don't get that. 

• Love 2

I keep thinking that poor Anna is only about five weeks post partum, I'd be in a fetal position at this point.

I feel bad for poor Meredith as well. Anna was pregnant with her when the molestation scandal dropped, she was born the same day the show was cancelled and now she's lost in the shuffle of her parents' marriage problems. As unfair as it is to a child, her birth is a reminder of very bad times. I hope Josh and Anna don't subconsciously treat her different than their other kids.

• Love 2

Gothard has some pretty stringent rules about when a couple can't have sex:

At his Advanced Seminars in 1983, Gothard introduced sex regulations based upon Old Testament commands. Under the session titled “Six Purposes, Principles, and Keys To Fulfillment In The Marriage Relationship,” he told married couples to abstain from physical relations: 1. During the wife’s menstrual cycle; 2. Seven days after the cycles; 3. 40 days after the birth of a son; 4. 80 days after the birth of a daughter; and 5. The evening prior to worship. 

This doesn't leave a ton of opportunities.

Even if Anna greeted Josh at the door every evening wearing a Playboy bunny outfit, I guarantee this would still have happened.

Edited by IndianPaintbrush
  • Love 17

Anna is still in shock. What she does right now might not be what she does in 6 months from now. 

This marriage might end. Not right now. But down the road...when Josh doesn't change. Josh is one messed up individual on a lot of levels. He needs a major life change and unfortunately, prayer alone isn't going to change him. God works through counselors, psychologists, psychiatrists etc. But Josh will never get to that point because he is trapped in some fear mongering system that professionals are evil people. 

So...in 6 months, when nothing has really changed other than his computer being on total lockdown and a chaperone following him everywhere...Anna might have a different mindset. Right now she really believes he is going to repent and change. He can repent but he will need human help in changing. 

Just thought of that...guess Josh will need a male chaperone 24/7 now?  Gee, something for the howlers to do. Escort Josh to Chic-Fil-A every day. Wonder if that is more fun than being squished in Binseewald's pick up truck on a date with Jessa?

Josh probably has his phone, computer and any other contact with the outside world taken away. 

• Love 7
I feel bad for poor Meredith as well. Anna was pregnant with her when the molestation scandal dropped, she was born the same day the show was cancelled and now she's lost in the shuffle of her parents' marriage problems. As unfair as it is to a child, her birth is a reminder of very bad times. I hope Josh and Anna don't subconsciously treat her different than their other kids.

I'm hoping Meredith is reminder that of innocence and sheer love that is still exists in the world. 

Anna's life is completely turned over on itself.  Everything she thought she knew about her marriage and Josh is no more.  I hope that once the dust is settled that Anna re-evalutes all those things and changes the way her family raises children.

• Love 6

If I'm doing the math right, even if you don't count the postpartum time out (WTF with twice as long after giving birth to a daughter? I don't even want to know...) that's two weeks out of every month and every Saturday night that's a no-sex zone.

I don't give two shits. It still doesn't excuse anything.

• Love 4

Based on the one "real life" instance I've seen of this situation, Anna will need to break free of her parents and their teaching before she'll have the nerve to leave her husband. It took several years in the case I saw.

At this point Anna is under a ton of pressure. Everybody in her entire world (and a large number of total strangers, like us) has an opinion about the most intimate part of her life. In the face of all that, the easiest thing for her to do is just go with the flow and stay with him. That relieves some of the immediate pressure, plus it makes her family, the Duggars, and her church happy with her.

Best case scenario is that maybe in a few months when the pressure has died down a little, she'll be able to think about her situation more clearly. Maybe she'll even realize the truth of some of the things people here have been saying. She may decide to leave him then. It would certainly be a lot easier to make that decision when it's not going to be a media circus. 

But even if she decides to stay .... I just don't want her to internalize all that poisonous patriarchial thinking that this is all her fault and her failure. That might just break her completely.

Edited by Anne Elk
  • Love 4

The problem is Anna needs to find her voice, take over, and say what SHE needs if that marriage is going to be restored.  But she has not been programed to do that.  I wish she would take Daniel up on his offer and flee with her kids for the rest of the year and think things over.  If those bastards are telling her that she didn't put out enough, and that is why Joshie fell, then @*_#$(Q)&*%Q)*&!!

She needs to speak up.

• Love 2