Type keyword(s) to search

Josh & Anna Smuggar: A Series of Unfortunate Events

• Start Topic

(edited)

Caramello, I don't know how you're even breathing only a week out. Reading that actually made my heart stop for a minute! Oh my gosh, I am so, so sorry for this great loss. I hope and pray you find some peace and rest. My heart goes out to you - please know this little community cares about you in this most horrible of times.

My condolences as well Carmellow. I'm so very sorry.

I wouldn't even be out of bed yet if it was my child. You're a strong person.

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 3
I don't get how he even goes out in public. Doesn't he get harassed??

Probably not too much since he's back in his home town. Plus, floating your mental boat on the River Denial can insulate you from harassing looks and comments. They've put it behind them so the rest of the world must have, too. 

That baby's adorable. 

• Love 5
(edited)

I think Josh carefully picks the places he goes now.    

Note the guy behind them didn't even bother to put a shirt on over his wife beater.

Eta:   He looks very drugged too.

Edited by Cherrio
  • Love 4

I think Josh carefully picks the places he goes now.    

Note the guy behind them didn't even bother to put a shirt on over his wife beater.

Eta:   He looks very drugged too.

Went back to look at the pic. Josh does look medicated. I wonder if he was prescribed a benzodiazepine for anxiety.

That baby is beautiful!!!!

• Love 1

68 percent of Americans eat at casual dining restaurants at least once a week, so I can see why the Smuggars still do. I don't really understand why they dragged along the two week old baby though, unless it was so Anna could head off any verbal abuse with something like "excuse me sir, will you please stop bringing up what my husband did to his sisters? My baby is trying to sleep".

I wouldn't be surprised if Josh was benzo'd up. They really do work and they're safe.

Josh has lost weight! All that stress I am sure. No one seems to be bothered to take a second look their way. I guess they can still afford to go out and eat!

I'm guessing he doesn't go out alone anymore, so no spur of the minute or secret trips to fast food restaurants.

Just as I've always heard most people in NW Arkansas always respected their privacy for the most part (even if they didn't care for them personally) I imagine they continue to do so.

• Love 4

What's done is done.

Not when it comes to this family milking "their side" on TLC.

Why make a scene over something that happened over a decade ago?

The outrage should also be about what's happened lately. The family making light of the events ("They were asleep! It was over the clothes!"), for example.

• Love 2
(edited)

Not when it comes to this family milking "their side" on TLC.

The outrage should also be about what's happened lately. Tlhe family making light of the events ("They were asleep! It was over the clothes!"), for example.

I'd like to think that 95 percent of the population have enough decorum not to make a scene about that either. Those weren't Josh's words. Also, enough decorum to not make a scene with his victims or family. Edited by Kokapetl
  • Love 4

I'm of the opinion that whoever wrote Josh's statement did a really great job. He says flat out that he behaved horribly and apologizes without "I'm sorry if anyone was offended" type run arounds. He lost his job over it. The show was cancelled over it.

Honestly, what is so incredibly important that you would need to go up to someone who is a stranger and confront them in a restaurant?

• Love 8

The outrage would be toward Jim Bob, Michelle, Jill, and Jessa for the making excuses.  Josh has for once wisely kept quiet. 

I never thought the family made excuses for him.  I thought they (the parents) described what happened and what they did about it (Not enough or at least not the right stuff).  They have forgiven him and believe he has changed.  Describing that the touching was 'over the clothes' or 'they were asleep' isn't making an excuse in my opinion.  It is a description of what happened.  I also believe that Jill and Jessa have truly forgiven him and want all this put behind them.  As they say, the 'outing' has victimized them again.

• Love 2
(edited)

I think that the worst that people would do is stare, whisper, and keep their kids close. Doesn't it make him uncomfortable that so many people think that he's a sleeze ball? You would think that he would be too uncomfortable to enjoy going out in public.

If he's never used alcohol, benzos are probably working really well for him at the moment. 30 mg of oxazepam will keep him relaxed for hours, just make sure Anna drives.

If he's having trouble sleeping, I recommend 15mg of mirtazapine.

Edited by Kokapetl
  • Love 1

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks Josh might be living better though chemistry. Maybe he borrowed Michelle stash.

Honestly, it's better for all involved. I know he's a human being, but he's also a burden now, and better a pleasant benzo'd burden than obnoxious windbag FRC Josh as a burden.
  • Love 4
I'm of the opinion that whoever wrote Josh's statement did a really great job.

I don't. Too much focus on how the molestation affected his life with barely a thought given to the victims. And yes, I realize that that could just be PR in order to cover his ass, but the end result was still the same regardless of the motivation for writing all the I/me-speak. 
  • Love 12

How long is someone who gave a public apology, who would be foolish to speak out further due to civil lawsuits, and who has never been convicted of any crime supposed to stay hiding in his home?

• Love 5

GEML, I've been thinking of this recently. I have conflicted feelings because I genuinely enjoyed the show and thought he was a good husband and father. The Duggar family has been dealing with this for over a decade and have come to terms with it in various ways. However, the public found out two months ago. I wouldn't confront him, but I wouldn't let my family near him or Jim Bob/Michelle.  Josh shouldn't have to stay at home for the rest of his life. I just don't want to see him or his parents on my tv screen again.

On the other hand, it does bother me that Josh is out with his family and acting like he did nothing wrong.  IMO his public statement was purely self-serving and didn't show concern for his victims or how his actions impacted their lives.  It sickens me to see him near his sisters in pictures.  I think part of it is that he is morally and legally guilty of committing heinous acts and, with the help of his parents, circumvented these laws. Jim Bob worked to place strengthen legal punishments for people like Josh and then made sure Josh wouldn't be criminally convicted.  Much of my disgust is towards Jim Bob and Michelle's treatment of the situation and how Josh seemed to have minimal repercussions for his actions.  He is facing the effects of his actions now only because he is a nationally known public figure. 

• Love 7

I think that the worst that people would do is stare, whisper, and keep their kids close. Doesn't it make him uncomfortable that so many people think that he's a sleeze ball? You would think that he would be too uncomfortable to enjoy going out in public.

This, this, and this.

I was y saying that people were going to throw eggs at him in public. But you KNOW it's not just a nice howdy-neighbor thing for the folks who see him around. Even in his area of Arkansas.

• Love 1

At some point I think Josh has to just suck it up and move on. People are going to think what they want to think whether he goes out to eat with his family or hides out in the Prayer Closet for the next ten years. I do sincerely hope he's getting the therapy he never received as a teenager, and by therapy I mean counseling under the direction of a degreed professional, not some Gothard minion who learned their skill set off Google.

• Love 3

Cute baby, but Josh's smile is so creepy.

I see what you mean about the smile, but it's Josh's eyes I really noticed. I must say, I hope Anna actually is doing the driving, even though as a woman who's just been through childbirth, he should be driving her around instead.

• Love 3

Oh my gosh. Do people think he would reach out and grope someone in a public place?

??? That's not wht I was saying at all.

It's not what HE would do, it's other people.

How long is someone who gave a public apology, who would be foolish to speak out further due to civil lawsuits, and who has never been convicted of any crime supposed to stay hiding in his home?

This!!

I don't think Josh needs to hide for life, but he does need to stay far away from the instagram. It's just keeping himself open to criticism and keeping him (negatively) in the public eye by continually reminding people of what happened. It just makes sense to hide from the media and inter webs (not real life) for a few months until some new scandal or blatant hypocrisy has captured the public imagination. 

Also, if Josh just can't quit social media, being a millennial and all, I think he might get less criticism if he was posting evidence that he is being the most helpful human ever right now (Helping with the 4Ms, making dinner, washing dishes, mowing Jessa's lawn, working in a soup kitchen). Showing himself doing things that are generally considered entertainment (baseball games, eating out, Silver Dollar City) doesn't help to change my opinion that he a. doesn't think he did anything particularly wrong and b. isn't responsible for making any reparations even if he did admit to wrong-doing. 

• Love 23

Ok, but I think it's open to interpretation. For me, going out to eat after having a baby IS a kind thing to do. (I get stir crazy) and he's holding the baby, which implies he is allowing Anna to enjoy her meal.

• Love 7

Josh is more than welcome to keep his social media accounts, and make them private. That he hasn't done this speaks volumes about his mindset. Like his father, he seems to think he's virtually untouchable, despite losing his cushy job and having to tuck tail and run back to AR. You'd think that would change him - I know I'd handle my life differently after such upheavals - but he appears to be unfazed. 

Status as Chester the Molester isn't going to go away. People have long memories. Now that Anna's had the baby, I really think it would be best for them to back off the social media for a while, at least through about the end of the year, to see where things stand then. 

Attaching his name to any candidate's campaign in this next election cycle will be poison. Thankfully, these people have staff members who realize this and will keep Josh far away, so really, there's no real reason for him to even stay in the public eye right now. 

• Love 16

Like i mentioned earlier, I tend to think practically I have no idea what Josh & Anna have in their bank account, but the fact that he appears more to be vacationing than finding new employment boggles my mind. With 4 kids and counting you would think a job search would take priority over going to a trampoline park.

• Love 4

Like i mentioned earlier, I tend to think practically I have no idea what Josh & Anna have in their bank account, but the fact that he appears more to be vacationing than finding new employment boggles my mind. With 4 kids and counting you would think a job search would take priority over going to a trampoline park.

I maintain that his deal with the FRC included severance until 2015 ends, if not longer, complete with health insurance coverage. I believe this was part of the agreement -- here's your resignation statement written by our PR group and lawyer, do not make trouble, and we'll pay you until the end of the year. I also believe that there is some quiet behind-the-scenes work for Smuggar he's being paid for as well.

Those ensconced in think tanks tend to take care of their own. And don't kid yourself -- he's "their own".

• Love 9

I believe this was part of the agreement -- here's your resignation statement written by our PR group and lawyer, do not make trouble, and we'll pay you until the end of the year. I also believe that there is some quiet behind-the-scenes work for Smuggar he's being paid for as well.

This theory would explain why all the family members interviewed on Fox insisted on the (one would think) counterproductive talking point that they knew a lot of families where worse was going on unreported. Nice political careers you guys have going on. Shame if something happened to them...

• Love 2

I would guess that 6 months of a DC salary would support them for longer in AR. It does seem that the Duggars are luckier than many when it comes to finances. The only folks I know that have lost jobs have to seek unemployment benefits which barely gets them through to the next job.

In my next life I want to be rich or be one of you posters dogs. :)

• Love 10

I would guess that 6 months of a DC salary would support them for longer in AR. It does seem that the Duggars are luckier than many when it comes to finances. The only folks I know that have lost jobs have to seek unemployment benefits which barely gets them through to the next job.

In my next life I want to be rich or be one of you posters dogs. :)

Go for the dog.  That's what I want.  I think complaints about "a dog's life" are pure jealousy.

• Love 9

I doubt Josh would get six months severance after a mere two years on a job he had to leave because of his own past actions.  I think it's far more likely that Josh has TLC money in the bank and is taking over some business from Jim Bob such as property management or is investing some of the show income into his own rental property.

• Love 9

I maintain that his deal with the FRC included severance until 2015 ends, if not longer, complete with health insurance coverage. I believe this was part of the agreement -- here's your resignation statement written by our PR group and lawyer, do not make trouble, and we'll pay you until the end of the year. I also believe that there is some quiet behind-the-scenes work for Smuggar he's being paid for as well.

Those ensconced in think tanks tend to take care of their own. And don't kid yourself -- he's "their own".

I would lean toward thinking he's not working for them at this point, because they've been burned before in their existence and could still be worried that something else Duggardly might come out -- and that their secret-employment arrangement could come out as well. (Mainly because I think that his job would pretty much have to be a meet-and-chat-up people job of some sort -- so somebody will know for sure if he's doing it, and if anything tainted should turn up, they're likely to talk, loyal conservatives or no. I just don't see them hiring Josh for a desk job writing or researching or strategizing or the like. He doesn't have the skills.)

However, I completely agree with you about the long long severance package -- including good health insurance. I'm certain he got that. It's not uncommon, and, as you say, they wanted him to sign their statement and get off the premises posthaste. And he had a quite pregnant wife at the time who would need good healthcare over the next year -- they didn't want to risk a news story about her having a health crisis while being crappily insured after their coverage ended.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 5