Type keyword(s) to search

Josh & Anna Smuggar: A Series of Unfortunate Events

• Start Topic

(edited)

She will be 34 next month (approximately 46 when he gets out). She could still possibly have a few more children, but would she want to start over with a baby after dealing with teenagers for the past 12 years. Also, if he’s a sex offender, could they be on her if she allows him back into the house with minor children. 

Edited by StaceyNotStacie
  • Love 4
Just now, lovesnark said:

Where does that M fall in the birth order? Is she the newest?

Yes, she's the youngest. 

It's entirely possible that Ofsmuggar might be fertile, and thus NOT in menopause, in 12.5 years. One of my aunts had one at 47. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
Just now, lovesnark said:

Yup, she's the baby. The rest follow upwards in 2 year spans. The oldest will be 24 in 12 years.

• Love 4
(edited)
4 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

Yay! By the time he is out Anna will be in menopause! No more babiez.

It's not unheard of for women to have babies at this age - even older - but at least she's going to have to get off the baby train for awhile!

Edited by SusanM
  • Love 5
(edited)
3 minutes ago, lovesnark said:

Yes, she's M7.

eta Anna's mother had her last at 43. Her oldest sister is currently pregnant at 41. 

Edited by Salacious Kitty
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, iwantcookies said:

Yay! By the time he is out Anna will be in menopause! No more babiez.

Not necessarily. I was 50 when I first started going through menopause. I have a friend who was almost 43 when she had her last child. Hopefully no more babies. I can't imagine Anna would want to try and get pregnant the second he gets out and at 46.

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, Madtown said:

Apologies if this has been asked and answereed and I missed it.

Will he actually be serving all 12.5 years? I'm hoping he doesn't have a chance to get out early.

Posters on reddit keep saying he has to serve at least 10 years 

• Useful 2
  • Love 8
(edited)

I did not think Anna will still be under JBs thumb in 12.5 years. He’s going to be 12.5 years older, in a much reduced financial situation.  She’s going to have over a decade of living without  Josh.  Yes she  will visit Josh, but the daily reality of raising 7 children without him will eventually take root. Josh will change into someone she doesn’t really know.  
plus the sitting on the sidelines  watching Josh’s siblings  and hers take whatever baby steps they can from the cult without  lightning striking them. Her youngest will be 13.   She will have made some changes by then 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 14
7 minutes ago, Madtown said:

Apologies if this has been asked and answereed and I missed it.

Will he actually be serving all 12.5 years? I'm hoping he doesn't have a chance to get out early.

Most federal prisoners serve roughly 85% of their sentence.  So 85% of 151 is 128 months, then you have to subtract the months Josh has already spent in jail awaiting sentencing.  Josh will serve around 122 months if he does not do anything stupid while locked up.  

• Useful 6
  • Love 5
Just now, SusanM said:

Does anyone know when Smuggar will know which prison gets the pleasure of his company?

As I recall, it is going to take a couple months, at least, before the Federal Prison System is able to assess his needs vs availability and assign him to a prison.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

Posters on reddit keep saying he has to serve at least 10 years 

I asked Professor Google how many years of a federal sentence someone has to do and the general answer  is 85%.  If he agrees to sex offender treatment, it could be a tiny bit less, but we know he's not going to do that.

• Love 2
Just now, Ohiopirate02 said:

Most federal prisoners serve roughly 85% of their sentence.  So 85% of 151 is 128 months, then you have to subtract the months Josh has already spent in jail awaiting sentencing.  Josh will serve around 122 months if he does not do anything stupid while locked up.  

Considering how much stupid stuff Josh did before being locked up; I'd say the odds are low that he won't mess up at some point in the fed.

• Love 12
18 minutes ago, hathorlive said:

So, Josh got a bigger sentence than normal (8ish years) largely due to the prosecutor's hard work.  I take my hat off to them.  Excellent work, AUSAs.  I think the work they did in getting his sister's abuse admitted is the difference in this case.  Without showing he's already contact offended, Josh would be looking at 7 to 8 years.  

So ... in a way ...  you could think of it as Josh being sentenced to serve 5.5 years for what he did to his sisters.  

Works for me!

• Love 24
16 minutes ago, zoomama said:

nm about ^^^

guess what?   seagoville or whatever its callled is too close to home wrt my texas family.

I was saying never mind about the update I posted that court had taken a break. The sentence came in right as I was posting it.

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

I did not think Anna will still be under JBs thumb in 12.5 years. He’s going to be 12.5 years older, in a much reduced financial situation.  She’s going to have over a decade of living without  Josh.  Yes she  will visit Josh, but the daily reality of raising 7 children without him will eventually take root. Josh will change into someone she doesn’t really know.  
plus the sitting on the sidelines  watching Josh’s siblings  and hers take whatever baby steps they can from the cult without  lightning striking them. Her youngest will be 13.   She will have made some changes by then 

There will also be fewer J slaves in the big house to help her with her kids.  And I can't see any of the girls sending their daughters over to help.  Not even Jessa.  Anna better pray that JB lives a long long life.

• Useful 1
  • Love 12

12.5 yrs. Not bad at all. I always thought anything over 10 would be a win. And this is fed prison so there is no parole to bring him home before age 45-46.

So I haven't followed anything except the legal part of this - do we think Anna stays with him for the next 13 yrs? I saw Amy was "calling on" her to divorce him, not that Amy's opinion matters. Looks like the first 3 kids will be age 20+ and 2 in the later teens - as they grow old enough they should be focused on putting a ring on it/getting someone to put a ring on it to get the eff out of there before daddy comes home. I guess 2 kids will be stuck there for a while after his return at ages 12-13 but better than all 7 kids.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, hathorlive said:

There will also be fewer J slaves in the big house to help her with her kids.  And I can't see any of the girls sending their daughters over to help.  Not even Jessa.  Anna better pray that JB lives a long long life.

Mack is basically the same age as the Lost Girls, Anna's youngest will be 6 by the time Mack is 18. She won't need so much help.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, cereality said:

No conjugal visits in fed prison and no early parole from fed prison. -A fed court lawyer

Does that mean no time off for good behavior as well? I Googled but got bogged down in random stuff. 

(edited)
3 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

Yes, that's possible. OTOH that would require, you know, WORK. IMO that's not one of his favorite things.

He can get a job with Travis Story and be shocked and amazed that the guy he's trying to pin the crime on was a) his client and b) in jail at the time.  

Edited by hathorlive
  • LOL 18
  • Love 1
Just now, Heathen said:

Does that mean no time off for good behavior as well? I Googled but got bogged down in random stuff. 

The jury (lol) seems to be out on this one. We've been getting answers on both sides.

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Madyson will be 13 when the FF gets out.

Would he even be allowed to live with his children when he gets out since he is a sex offender?

I was hoping for 20 years. oh, well.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, galaxygirl76 said:

Duggar snark on Reddit is also saying that he'll get 20 years of probation. 

Meaning supervised release after release from prison? Supervised release for CS offenders can sometimes go on for decades but doesn't necessarily have to be onerous - just things like he can't work as a teacher/with kids; he has to work; he has to check in with his probation officer with x frequency.

2 minutes ago, Heathen said:

Correct - time off for good behavior is largely a state court thing. It happens once in a rare while in fed prisons when prisons are filled to capacity but rare bc they can just move him to a different prison as needed. 

• Useful 5
  • Love 4
Just now, applewood said:

Would he even be allowed to live with his children when he gets out since he is a sex offender?

I was hoping for 20 years. oh, well.

I believe the terms of his release are set at the time he's ready to get out.  He will surely have to register as a sex offender and will undoubtedly be restricted from being around minor children.  Whether that will include his own kids remains to be seen.  Since he has a track record of assaulting family members in the past, I would hope that the judge bars him from living in the home with any kids.

• Useful 1
  • Love 13