Type keyword(s) to search

Josh & Anna Smuggar: A Series of Unfortunate Events

• Start Topic

What I want to know is why widow letter wasn't in the first batch? Like, multiple people mention her in their letters, but no letter from her. That seems like an oversight, and it makes me wonder if they had to badger her into writing something. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 15
1 minute ago, Zella said:

What I want to know is why widow letter wasn't in the first batch? Like, multiple people mention her in their letters, but no letter from her. That seems like an oversight, and it makes me wonder if they had to badger her into writing something. 

She was probably too busy sweeping up cracker crumbs....alone... to initially write the letter.  I'm sure once the Duggars sent someone over to intimidate  help her sweep up crumbs, she had time to write a letter.

• LOL 16
  • Love 8

I wonder why Joy and Jason are there. I know they made statements agreeing with the verdict, but that doesn't mean they hate Josh or are gleefully glad to have him in prison for years.

I wonder if they're supporting Anna? Or maybe supporting JB? Maybe supporting Josh? Or maybe they are there for the same reasons we are all here today.

• Love 4
(edited)

While I have no sympathy for Smuggar I do have to say sitting through this knowing at the end, no matter what, you are only waiting  to find out how long you are going to prison must be hell. I'd rather just be told right off the bat.

Edited by SusanM
  • Love 16
9 minutes ago, Zella said:

If the judge makes scathing comments about the letters, it will almost make sitting through The Sun breathlessly devoting individual posts for every one of Amy's sentences as filler worth it. 

Yes! The problem with "live updates!" of course is - they can't do live updates from inside the courthouse. The judge ordered that those attending the hearing, including the media, must leave all phones and electronic devices OUTSIDE the courthouse, not just the courtroom.  Unless the Sun has put a crew in there so that one by one they can periodically leave during the hearing, go outside for their phones and update the feed? They've gotta sit and wait just like the rest of us. And pad their "live update" with non-news.

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

My noon meeting got canceled, huzzah! Although let’s be honest, I was not going to be paying any attention in it. This is far more interesting (even when we are waiting).

I'm so not getting any work done today.  And I desperately need to get work done. I'm not leaving here until 7PM at this rate.

1 minute ago, Jeeves said:

Yes! The problem with "live updates!" of course is - they can't do live updates from inside the courthouse. The judge ordered that those attending the hearing, including the media, must leave all phones and electronic devices OUTSIDE the courthouse, not just the courtroom.  Unless the Sun has put a crew in there so that one by one they can periodically leave during the hearing, go outside for their phones and update the feed? They've gotta sit and wait just like the rest of us. And pad their "live update" with non-news.

I actually think this is a federal court house rule, and not just Judge Brook's ruling.  We can't bring cell phones into most court houses I go to.  I told one judge I think he has people break into cars and steal cell phones during hearings.  He doesn't think I'm nearly as funny as I think I am.

• LOL 7
  • Love 11
3 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

Unless the Sun has put a crew in there so that one by one they can periodically leave during the hearing, go outside for their phones and update the feed? They've gotta sit and wait just like the rest of us. And pad their "live update" with non-news.

I suspected last time that they were doing this on breaks after they got in trouble. All the new stuff would coincide with lunch or a midafternoon break and then devolve into filler. It wouldn't surprise me if it is the same today but maybe not so many breaks since not a trial, so we have to wait for the bitter end. . . .

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, hathorlive said:

I actually think this is a federal court house rule, and not just Judge Brook's ruling.  We can't bring cell phones into most court houses I go to.  I told one judge I think he has people break into cars and steal cell phones during hearings.  He doesn't think I'm nearly as funny as I think I am.

It wouldn't surprise me if it's a general federal courthouse rule, but Judge Brooks issued a specific order, for people attending this specific hearing, so maybe he wanted to take extra steps to prevent shenanigans. And head off any arguments later from someone caught with a phone that they didn't know they weren't supposed to bring it in. 

The order: https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.arwd.62817/gov.uscourts.arwd.62817.155.0_1.pdf

• Love 5
57 minutes ago, hathorlive said:

I don't know who is with Joy Anna but the 70's called and want their polyester and white shoes back.  My god, this family dresses badly.

And white belt!  My God, it looks awful.

• LOL 5
1 minute ago, lilwhitelion said:

I’ve been introducing my husband and stepson to Remington Steele and this quote was the first thing to pop in my head at that picture: “You lived with a man who wears white belts? I am deeply disappointed.”

• LOL 18
  • Love 1
Just now, GeeGolly said:

One and a half hours in. I hope we're getting close.

I didn't think we'd know 5 minutes in but I really thought we'd know by now!

• Love 4

I'm not a regular snarker with you folks, but I keep up with what's happening here every day. I'm waiting here with everyone and will have Bloody Marys at the ready to add to our brunch.

• Love 14
(edited)
2 minutes ago, SusanM said:

I didn't think we'd know 5 minutes in but I really thought we'd know by now!

At least the Sun has turned from "updating" us with each sentence of Amy's letter (as @Zella noted), to doling out parts of Judge Brooks' written order, issued yesterday, denying the defense motion for acquittal. 🤣

Edited by Jeeves
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, lovesnark said:

I'm not a regular snarker with you folks, but I keep up with what's happening here every day. I'm waiting here with everyone and will have Bloody Marys at the ready to add to our brunch.

welcome!

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, AgathaC said:

I’ve been introducing my husband and stepson to Remington Steele and this quote was the first thing to pop in my head at that picture: “You lived with a man who wears white belts? I am deeply disappointed.”

Hahahaha I am stealing this! My favorite pop culture reference to belts is Henry Fonda in Once Upon A Time in the West. "How can you trust a man that wears both a belt and suspenders? Man can't even trust his own pants." It has limited everyday requote value, though. 

• LOL 18
  • Love 4
13 minutes ago, lilwhitelion said:

I can't keep the howlers straight, is Jason single? Or even straight?  I can't tell if he's ironically hip or just tragically fashion challenged. Or maybe he bought used from the estate of a 90 year old man and saved the difference for hair plugs.  Gosh, I'm mean today.

7 minutes ago, Zella said:

Hahahaha I am stealing this! My favorite pop culture reference to belts is Henry Fonda in Once Upon A Time in the West. "How can you trust a man that wears both a belt and suspenders? Man can't even trust his own pants." It has limited everyday requote value, though. 

I LOVED that show.  I set through two seasons, trying to get a good picture of Laura's loft for a friend who was doing a renovation.  What a great show.

• LOL 8
  • Love 5
Just now, hathorlive said:

I can't keep the howlers straight, is Jason single? Or even straight?  I can't tell if he's ironically hip or just tragically fashion challenged. Or maybe he bought used from the estate of a 90 year old man and saved the difference for hair plugs.  Gosh, I'm mean today.

Jason is Hilaria's favorite! It's his single most defining characteristic. 

• LOL 8
  • Love 2

I don't think Anna is going to be crying all that makeup off. If her behavior up to this point is any indicator, I think she's going to be pissed at any sentence the judge gives him and will stomp out of there. I'm sure she thinks the letters and all the godly stuff people said about FF should make the judge let him come home. I mean, there are cracker crumbs she needs help with!

• LOL 5
  • Love 17
2 minutes ago, lovesnark said:

I don't think Anna is going to be crying all that makeup off. If her behavior up to this point is any indicator, I think she's going to be pissed at any sentence the judge gives him and will stomp out of there. I'm sure she thinks the letters and all the godly stuff people said about FF should make the judge let him come home. I mean, there are cracker crumbs she needs help with!

I agree, I think she will be pissed too. 

2 minutes ago, lovesnark said:

If her behavior up to this point is any indicator, I think she's going to be pissed at any sentence the judge gives him and will stomp out of there.

I think she will be too shocked to cry or rage. Like, I don't think she's gonna swoon like a Victorian, but I think her brain might just shut down. 

• Love 8
1 minute ago, lovesnark said:

So if womin folk need help sweeping up cracker crumbs, do one of the Howlers get assigned to be Anna's crumb sweeper?  We know they like to farm out pre-teen girls to help with womin work, like hoisting babies and stuff.  But are the manly duties assigned out?  Who will take Anna's trash to the road? Since she doesn't have a curb.  Who will rotate her tires and check her oil?  Who will change the flashing 12:12 on the VCR?????

• LOL 9
5 minutes ago, hathorlive said:

I LOVED that show.  I set through two seasons, trying to get a good picture of Laura's loft for a friend who was doing a renovation.  What a great show.

I still want to be Laura Holt when I grow up.

Of course, our tv would pick this week to act up (I’m in AR and missing any local coverage). Thank goodness the internet works!

• Love 5

As the hearing approaches the 2 hour mark - assuming it started on time - the Sun is now doling out bits from the sentencing memos filed by the prosecution and defense on its "live feed." 🤣

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Jeeves said:

As the hearing approaches the 2 hour mark - assuming it started on time - the Sun is now doling out bits from the sentencing memos filed by the prosecution and defense on its "live feed." 🤣

I hope this means they've decided to stop quoting their resident Duggar.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Zella said:

They've never cared about appearances when it comes to masking. I think they may be wearing the masks to avoid photographers capturing their facial expressions and another repeat of The Sun having fun reporting how smiley Justin was when he left court. 

Exactly. Hiding their smug expressions.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, ChiCricket said:

From The Sun🙄

JUST NOW

Anna Duggar in good spirits

Anna Duggar was spotted in a blue dress with a jacket and looks "a lot blonder," according to the Sun reporter.

She was seen talking to a friend attending the proceedings as well and appeared to be in good spirits.

Friend ? 

• LOL 3
5 minutes ago, AgathaC said:

I still want to be Laura Holt when I grow up.

Of course, our tv would pick this week to act up (I’m in AR and missing any local coverage). Thank goodness the internet works!

Her into talk about being the only woman in the room and not getting any respect until she created a male agency owner describes my life. I just didn't know her pain until I entered the digital forensics world.  Hopefully your internet stays up!

Is the tension making anyone else hungry? I have a sudden craving for cheetos.

• LOL 5
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, Snow Fairy said:

I think Anna will be pissed because she is convinced he is innocent.

They will surely make Josh the martyr, at least in what they will say to the kids

Anna has a rude awakening coming. 

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, hathorlive said:

Her into talk about being the only woman in the room and not getting any respect until she created a male agency owner describes my life. I just didn't know her pain until I entered the digital forensics world.  Hopefully your internet stays up!

No Cheetos - orange fingers and shmutz on your keyboard or phone (I know what I speak of)

• LOL 11
46 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

My noon meeting got canceled, huzzah! Although let’s be honest, I was not going to be paying any attention in it. This is far more interesting (even when we are waiting).

Guess everyone else at your work wanted to watch the sentencing too.

• LOL 16

I wish part of his sentence would be to recite multiple times a day “ I am NOT the Lords special snowflake.  I am NOT above anyone or any law  I am actually just the first in a litter “.  Maybe it might seep in to him 

• LOL 4
  • Love 11
3 minutes ago, hathorlive said:

Tuna here.. only bad breath

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
2 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

Guess everyone else at your work wanted to watch the sentencing too.

I wish they did! It would be a team bonding moment.

ETA: I am having leftover cheddar grits from Monday. They are delicious, but hopefully Josh’s sentence will be even more delicious.

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Boston said:

No Cheetos - orange fingers and shmutz on your keyboard or phone (I know what I speak of)

Do we know if Josh helps clean up Cheeto dust? Or are cracker crumbs his only area of expertise?

• LOL 6

I know why the Defense is doing this, but realistically all these arguments and objections don't do a damn bit of good.   The judge already knows what sentence he is going to give and why.   You know how you can tell, because as soon as the Defense STOPS talking, the judge doesn't say "hold on a minute, I need to recalculate my sentence."   No, the judge just launches into imposing the sentence.    

• LOL 1
  • Love 14
(edited)
3 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

I know why the Defense is doing this, but realistically all these arguments and objections don't do a damn bit of good.   The judge already knows what sentence he is going to give and why.   You know how you can tell, because as soon as the Defense STOPS talking, the judge doesn't say "hold on a minute, I need to recalculate my sentence."   No, the judge just launches into imposing the sentence.    

From your keyboard to God's ears. As you indicated, the Duggar contingent doesn't understand that - so the defense lawyers have to get up and do their bit in court, and of course the prosecution has to respond. 

ETA: I'm not eating - yet - but here at my laptop I've been exploring my public library's e-book offerings. I've now borrowed four novels, due in 21 days, and placed a couple of holds. Maybe I'll start reading one of the novels while we wait. 

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 6
3 minutes ago, Rabbittron said:

Try the white cheddar cheetos. 

so good.  Try Smart Food FLAMING HOT (again, not for using fingers afterwards - but really good)

3 minutes ago, Rabbittron said:

Try the white cheddar cheetos. 

So so good, I love the crunchy ones!

I'd rather the judge take his time than give the defense any reason to say later he didn't do his job.

• Love 9