Type keyword(s) to search

Josh & Anna Smuggar: A Series of Unfortunate Events

• Start Topic

I believe that Anna had a professional make up job done for the M#4 announcement. She doesn't apply makeup like that herself. It was taped for a TLC announcement, so I believe a pro from TLC made her up for TV.

That's why they are all about to explode when they marry. They also mistake in lust for being in love. Remember Anna's heavy breathing during that hand sex with Josh before they married? She had just turned 20 years old, but all of these children who marry are fully grown, physically matured human beings, who are made to live like they are robots in the "emotions dept". How unrealistic for them.

• Love 1

He looks like he sleeps very little, eats nothing but junk, self-medicates and lives under a rock. His hair doesn't help either. Short is fine, and a receding hairline he can't help. But it looks as though - for some reason - he puts Brylcreem or something in it. Looks oily, greasy all the time. Yuck. He needs medical help, good nutrition and Stacy & Clinton.  Badly.

I totally agree. I feel like he's aged 10 years since he got married. I don't know if it's diet, stress, or another issue, but I hope he at least goes to the doctor regularly if he isn't feeling well.

• Love 2

When Josh and Boob did the weight-loss challenge they were checked out before and after. I recall something to the effect that Josh was borderline for type 2 diabetes as well as high risk for some cardiac problem. That was before he got all pasty and sweaty looking. He - and Anna - should be more focused on his health at this point (given he's the sole provider for 5+ people) and less about popping out enough blessings to fill Jacksonville.

Edited by mimionthebeach
  • Love 4

The timing of the announcement annoys me. They have barely been off for 2-3 weeks, I understand that may have been earlier than they wanted to announce, but the next best time is the little couple premier? I call bs, I think they were thinking the ratings would be higher for the premier than perhaps waiting another week or two.

"While I agree that Josh doesn't want more kids, I am not convinced, as some are, that Anna doesn't want an enormous family."

Anna has made numerous statements, many of them lately, betraying that she's all on board with having 8 or more kids; I'm not sure why some viewers refuse to acknowledge this, but...  It's clear to me, anyway, that she'd love nothing more than to be the next super-uterus...

Yes, Josh could get a "sneak" vasectomy (maybe Anna leaves him alone, for a change, while pregnant?  I'm not sure), but I think he's too honest and decent a husband to do that, and Anna will never voluntarily limit breeding.

As for Josh's health, it wouldn't surprise me if he wasn't feeling stressed, depressed, and isolated out there in the 'burbs with just Anna aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand the kids for company after the tribe he's used to.  Life is harder without extended family around to help with practical matters, once you're used to relying on them, and I believe he truly loves his family.  Anna, on the other hand, is in hog-heaven, it's clear to see!  Guess the Duggar clan "bugged."

Edited by joanofarch4

Josh is at the age where he is looking around and determining again who he is and what he wants.  He has always been very attentive to his children, and I like that, but he seems much less enamored of Anna.  She makes me sick with the constant baby talk, and I totally discount the one comment she made about being happy with what she already has.  She doesn't consider that she could shut her mouth and make her husband happier, and wait a long while for another baby.  Just shutting up would help Josh.  She is driving him to spend more and more time apart from her.  Just an hour here and there, whatever, but he is finding himself and it doesn't look like she is his first choice anymore.  Others might get a legal divorce, but he'll just divorce from her life.  They aren't on the same wave length any more.

• Love 4

I think the timing and scheduling of the announcement was totally in TLC's hands.  They knew about the pregnancy, they filmed the little clip, and then they aired it at the time they expected it to get the most views to get people to talk about it and tune in for next season.

• Love 5

I don't think Josh even know what he wants at this point. As far as who he would have looked for and married, maybe he is realizing dating different women is not a bad idea. And neither is holding off for marriage.

He has this kind of OMG look on his face now.

• Love 3

Is it possible, and I mean this without rudeness, but that Josh is an average guy who's just not a 9/10, tan, and fit? I don't think his appearance proves a substance abuse problem. I mean, is that based on anything other than having a few pounds to lose and his paleness?

I'd consider a "looks only" concern for substance abuse if he was underweight by 20% or more plus observed weakness, odd behavior, and discoloration. But, even then, I'd ask about malnutrition or anemia.

• Love 3

I don't think Josh is looking for a certain type of woman, I think he's reevaluating his life.  And they are getting close to the life point that at one time was referred to as "the 7 year itch".  Maybe he'll come around and decide he wants to be with Anna, but she'll have to learn to shut her trap and put something else in her head besides babies.  That is what is so boring about these women, baby, baby, baby.  Gag me already.  What the hell else do they know?  Nothing?  Learn something and have several topics you can discuss.  They can't even talk about TV shows, for god's sake.

• Love 5

I think Josh and Anna love each other, but there does seem to be some communication issues. When you've done a dozen interviews about expanding your family and one partner is glowing with excitement while the other looks like he's about to vomit, there's a disconnect. I've never once heard Josh say he wants a large family, but Anna says it all the time. Hopefully they can agree on a stopping point, but Anna appears to be in Michelle-mode, especially now that the Duggar girls are catching up to her.

On another note, how in the hell does she hope to homeschool Mackenzie with a soon-to-be infant, a baby approaching his Terrible Two's and a toddler? That should be fun. I guess Cinderjana will have to permanently move to D.C.

• Love 2

Well, she does have a husband--that's a good start for a support system. Beyond that, do we know for certain that she doesn't have a local support network? I'm not trying to be argumentative; I'm just wondering if we know whether she and Josh have neighbors and friends they can call on when they need help with a situation that they can't handle on their own. Do they hang out with any homeschool families, FRC people, or maybe a church group? I certainly hope so, because it is important to have people you can call on in an emergency when you don't have extended family living close by.

That being said, I'm pretty sure Anna can handle day-to-day parenting of four sequentially birthed small children without needing daily help from an outside network. If she keeps popping out the babies, though, I hope she doesn't follow the J-slave model but keeps mothering the children herself. I haven't been watching the show very long, but so far Anna has largely struck me as a sweet and capable mother.

I can't bear to watch it again, but doesn't Josh say in the announcement that this will all be a new experience without having the support system of his family nearby, although they have made friends with a few families nearby? I'm pretty sure it's a point they raised themselves. Anyway, my point was more about the fact that Anna's thinking seemed to stop at delivery and not the impact another child will make in their lives.

• Love 1

I think Josh and Anna love each other, but there does seem to be some communication issues. When you've done a dozen interviews about expanding your family and one partner is glowing with excitement while the other looks like he's about to vomit, there's a disconnect. I've never once heard Josh say he wants a large family, but Anna says it all the time. Hopefully they can agree on a stopping point, but Anna appears to be in Michelle-mode, especially now that the Duggar girls are catching up to her.

On another note, how in the hell does she hope to homeschool Mackenzie with a soon-to-be infant, a baby approaching his Terrible Two's and a toddler? That should be fun. I guess Cinderjana will have to permanently move to D.C.

I thought the same thing about the home fooling. Anna's getting close to the number of kids MEchelle had when she had her breakdown & reinforcements were called in to help. It's one thing having a large family but they could have spaced them out more. But they are spaced out more than the yearly Duggar births.

Do they ever think how they would handle a special needs child? On the show "A Table for 12" about the NJ family that has 10 kids- 2 sets of older twins & then sextuplets, one of whom has cerebral palsy (which I would say a severe case as she can't walk or talk & is cared for like an infant). The parents & Family are great with her & one time the mom said the other kids just accept her the way she is& they think all families have a special needs child. I don't think Anna could handle it & would go over the edge. According to the way they think, God "punished" them by giving them this child & they would have to deal with guilt. At least with the other family, the twins are older & can do things on their own & help as needed, but they aren't slaves. Plus they are in school & even the girl who has cerebral palsy goes to a special needs school, which I wonder if Anna & Smuggar would allow.

• Love 3

FRC hosts the Values Voters Summit every year in DC. It's a huge event with an A list of conservatives that Josh would be expected to not only meet and mingle but serve as host. The Duggars participated this year and they were definitely, by DC standards, the C list speakers.

I think Josh is realizing that the DC workload is grueling. He might have gotten here based on his name, but EVERYONE works 12-15 hours a day. This is a city of workaholics, and even those who talk about family values are so often busy fighting for them to actually practice them.

I also suspect he's trying to get an education of some kind. He knows he's at a serious disadvantage and he's not a fool. Credentials mean as much in this city as who you know.

Plus, the man has an immediate and extended family that demands an enormous amount of his time, and he is in the peculiar position of not being able to drop them without putting his job at risk.

I'm exhausted just typing it out.

• Love 7

My impression was that Josh and Anna had discussed this and agreed to leave their family at three -- at least for now. Then they took a trip to see the Wallers, and suddenly Anna has baby fever again, and starts taking pregnancy tests every five minutes.

The amazing thing to me is that Anna is married to Josh -- surely she can see that he's not thrilled about another baby if everyone else can see it. The look on her face is more "I won! I'm having another baby!" There's just doesn't seem to be any awareness that the baby is a human being who will have a lot of needs beyond his toddler years.

I also agree with the other posters who think Josh looks ill. I saw the photo from the Keller Thanksgiving and he looked 40 years old -- and not a healthy 40, either. It was shocking. The David / Priscilla trip was only a few months earlier and he didn't look THAT bad. I think the poster who suggested steroids (like prednisone, not body-building steroids) might be on to something.

• Love 4

Time for an all expenses paid vacation to the Duggar compound in NW Arkansas, you will travel in one of the Duggar luxury Rv's, happy trails to you..

You can drop by the Bates on your way.

Is it possible, and I mean this without rudeness, but that Josh is an average guy who's just not a 9/10, tan, and fit? I don't think his appearance proves a substance abuse problem. I mean, is that based on anything other than having a few pounds to lose and his paleness?

I'd consider a "looks only" concern for substance abuse if he was underweight by 20% or more plus observed weakness, odd behavior, and discoloration. But, even then, I'd ask about malnutrition or anemia.

Ordinarily I'd agree with these statements. But Josh's appearance seems to have taken a turn for the worse recently. And this is coming AFTER he was checked out by an MD at home in Arkansas - an MD who advised that he was pre-cardiac and pre-diabetic. And AFTER he was supposed to have begun an exercise program designed for him by a knowledgeable trainer. IMO, he looks worse than he did at the time of his checkup and he also looks worse than nearly all the 20-somethings I know, even the overweight ones. He is, after all, only 26 years old, IIRC.

Edited by NausetGirl
  • Love 2

I think the timing and scheduling of the announcement was totally in TLC's hands. They knew about the pregnancy, they filmed the little clip, and then they aired it at the time they expected it to get the most views to get people to talk about it and tune in for next season.

But they're not they want to see Jessa's wedding. Nobody cares for Josh and Anna now that Jill and Jessa are married

If Josh gets diabetes and high blood pressure he still probably wouldn't take care of himself. Greedy and gluttony is a sin Duggars

That's why they are all about to explode when they marry. They also mistake in lust for being in love. Remember Anna's heavy breathing during that hand sex with Josh before they married? She had just turned 20 years old, but all of these children who marry are fully grown, physically matured human beings, who are made to live like they are robots in the "emotions dept". How unrealistic for them.

With all the we save ourselves from this family. It's not really that impressive when your young and only married to have guilt free sex. Plus sheltered. If Josh or Anna got experience in the real world with temptation all around then waited to get married then I'll give them credit but they get no credit from me.

Edited by maraleia
  • Love 2

I admit I have snark plenty on Josh and Anna, but I would not want him to die at an early age and leave Anna with four young children to raise.

And the way JD has been looking lately, I would not be surprise if he will start looking more sickly like Josh in the next few years.

I don't think Josh is looking for a certain type of woman, I think he's reevaluating his life.  And they are getting close to the life point that at one time was referred to as "the 7 year itch".  Maybe he'll come around and decide he wants to be with Anna, but she'll have to learn to shut her trap and put something else in her head besides babies.  That is what is so boring about these women, baby, baby, baby.  Gag me already.  What the hell else do they know?  Nothing?  Learn something and have several topics you can discuss.  They can't even talk about TV shows, for god's sake.

I think Josh is realizing that the DC workload is grueling. He might have gotten here based on his name, but EVERYONE works 12-15 hours a day. This is a city of workaholics, and even those who talk about family values are so often busy fighting for them to actually practice them.

I also suspect he's trying to get an education of some kind. He knows he's at a serious disadvantage and he's not a fool. Credentials mean as much in this city as who you know.

Plus, the man has an immediate and extended family that demands an enormous amount of his time, and he is in the peculiar position of not being able to drop them without putting his job at risk.

Josh is also around women all day, conservative women, but working women at FRC. They are not empty-headed, baby talking, baby making automatons.  I think DC has shaken him up and I agree he's reevaluating his life. He may be a stress eater. Eating brings him comfort and it may be he's been really needing it lately.

• Love 4

I watched the video again without sound, and Josh's entire bearing strikes me as so, so tired. I can't decide whether it looks more like a physical or an emotional tiredness (not that it couldn't be both). As for the suggestion that he might be on prednisone--that would not be my guess. Yes, it gives you a puffy face, but it also gives you noticeably rosy cheeks. Nothing rosy about our Joshy.

• Love 3

It also gives you 'roid energy. It's a lot of fried out energy and I don't see that in Josh.

I was just going to post that. I take a low dose of Prednisone for Rheumatoid Arthritis. I was started on a high dose & wow, I couldn't keep still. It increases your appetite so you have to be careful with weight gain & as a previous poster said, it does cause rosy cheeks. But I'm not sure he's taking it.

Even though Anna may cook a healthy dinner, I'm sure he eats out a lot at lunch & other work functions. I think,too, he may be hitting a young Mid-life crisis & is looking back at his life thinking "if only..."

• Love 1

The thing is, young Josh always wanted to be who grown up Josh is. He wanted to go to college and law school and work in politics in DC. There are any number of interviews that say this, and he was his father's "buddy" at the AR State House (which I bet he enjoyed a whole lot more than building the TTH). But he was dealt a bad hand by his parents, and he still managed to somehow pull it off, but he's going to have to figure out a way to stay long term.

DC is a workaholic city, but most people do start to make some money after a few years in the trenches (though those years can be brutal) you do really "hob nob" with "famous" people and the quality of life is excellent.

We are actually packing up and getting ready to leave after nearly 20 years. We've been looking for an overseas position for awhile and one came through so we jumped at it, but we most likely will be back. Last time we tried to leave we lasted two years.

• Love 5

We are actually packing up and getting ready to leave after nearly 20 years. We've been looking for an overseas position for awhile and one came through so we jumped at it, but we most likely will be back. Last time we tried to leave we lasted two years.

Are you able to say where you are going? And you will be able to post here, right? :-)

As I recall, poor Josh didn't even get the DC house he wanted, much less the number of children in it...  He seemed all on board for the smaller city place with the much shorter commute, but Anna had to have her isolation out in the 'burbs, driving distance be darned!  The kids love having all that space to run around (indoors), according to the storyline...  I kind of think they'd like playing with other children!  I doubt if it's Josh who's pushing the home-fooling.  Anna can't have that, as Kynzie will have to be "mommy's little helper" all day long...

• Love 1

The thing is, young Josh always wanted to be who grown up Josh is. He wanted to go to college and law school and work in politics in DC. There are any number of interviews that say this, and he was his father's "buddy" at the AR State House (which I bet he enjoyed a whole lot more than building the TTH). But he was dealt a bad hand by his parents, and he still managed to somehow pull it off, but he's going to have to figure out a way to stay long term.

The problem is that he has his job because of his name and what it brings. Once his name stops meaning anything, his usefulness will have worn out. If he doesn't take this time to learning skills and becoming indispensable to people around him, he's not going to keep that job.

• Love 3

I really hope Josh and Anna bite the bullet and send Kenzie to a regular pre-school or kindergarten. I'm sure they could easily find a Christian school in Virginia if they're intent on giving her a faith-based education. I think Kenzie is a bright girl who will become frustrated, impatient and bored if her younger siblings keep interrupting her lessons. On the other side of the coin, it's unreasonable for Anna to think Michael and Marcus won't be an intrusion because neither boy is at an age where kids can sit still for too long.

Hopefully his time away from the compound has helped Josh realize his children won't burst into flames if they socialize among the heathen masses.

• Love 1

Josh and Anna are in Maryland, and in a county where I'm sure they would not send their children to public school. I'm not sure what Christian schools are available in their area, but I'm another who doesn't think they are making big bucks, and private school choices around here are often pretty pricey as pretty much everyone from doctors, lawyers and local Congressmen, sends their children to public school, as they are very good. They would quickly have two in one.

Josh's home isn't INCONVENIENT to DC, but given that schools weren't an option, the other choices were better. His commute is probably 45 minutes each way, which is another hour and a half of his day. One bad traffic day and you're looking at 10 hours a week, or effectively another part-time job. That's standard here.

Also, they are pretty far away from both DC airports, which given Josh's travel for his work and the family's travel for the show, must be extra frustrating. They might fly out of BWI, but that's a hike, for all they are technically in MD.

And we are going to Ireland! I will miss Virginia terribly, but I am super excited to not only live overseas for awhile (my husband has, but I, like Sarah Palin, didn't even have a passport until I was nearly 40) but I'm a redhead, Ireland is perfect!

• Love 5

And we are going to Ireland! I will miss Virginia terribly, but I am super excited to not only live overseas for awhile (my husband has, but I, like Sarah Palin, didn't even have a passport until I was nearly 40) but I'm a redhead, Ireland is perfect!

I am happy for you! :-) I was a rehead, now I have long silver hair. No passport here, do you need travel assistance? :-) Enjoy Ireland!

• Love 1

Josh and Anna are in Maryland, and in a county where I'm sure they would not send their children to public school. I'm not sure what Christian schools are available in their area, but I'm another who doesn't think they are making big bucks, and private school choices around here are often pretty pricey as pretty much everyone from doctors, lawyers and local Congressmen, sends their children to public school, as they are very good. They would quickly have two in one.

Josh's home isn't INCONVENIENT to DC, but given that schools weren't an option, the other choices were better. His commute is probably 45 minutes each way, which is another hour and a half of his day. One bad traffic day and you're looking at 10 hours a week, or effectively another part-time job. That's standard here.

Also, they are pretty far away from both DC airports, which given Josh's travel for his work and the family's travel for the show, must be extra frustrating. They might fly out of BWI, but that's a hike, for all they are technically in MD.

GEML- don't get me all excited about the airport thing. I live very close to BWI & all this time I could have been hanging around as a Josh & Anna groupie hoping to get a look at them or the J'slaves when they visit. I could be welcoming them with a tator tot casserole or Chickenetti.

Ireland sounds great!

• Love 1

I, too, watched their baby announcement without any sound to observe their body language and facial expressions. The only parent who was genuinely thrilled about their announcement was Anna, who IMO, is living in her own world and isn't listening to Josh. He looked apprehensive, and a bit fearful. On another note, I don't know when they taped this segment, but he looked tired and not too well.

Given his FRC salary AND the TLC income, I'm pretty confident that they could afford a part time Christian nursery school for Michael and a pre-school for Mac. I think it would do them wonders in many areas and it would make errand and shopping day a bit easier for Anna.

• Love 1

Well, I finally got a chance to watch.  Josh seems a little apprehensive, but maybe not as bad as some have said.  Anna really looks beautiful  As someone said earlier, she has really come into her own in the looks department.

I hope they fare well.

• Love 1

I wish they'd suck it up and send Mac to public school. A lot of Christian kids (like me) went there, and so far I'm not on the highway to hell. They can take her out when she hits highschool (a lot of Nike things happen there).

• Love 2

Forget Mac, her mommie needs to go to school and take some enrichment classes.  Examples would be poli sci, history, geography, stats, and so on.  Absolutely no home ec or child development classes for her.

Edited by Micks Picks
  • Love 2

IMO, Mackenzie is the kind of child who needs the stimulation of a classroom and classmates. She seems to have quite the personality and I feel like the Duggar style of homeschooling would stifle her. I have a friend who homeschools her son, but her son is in a local basketball and football league so he still gets to socialize quite a bit and has a lot of friends as a result.

• Love 1

I wish they'd suck it up and send Mac to public school. A lot of Christian kids (like me) went there, and so far I'm not on the highway to hell. They can take her out when she hits highschool (a lot of Nike things happen there).

One of my church friends let her kids go to math and science classes in the morning at high school and homeschooled them in history and English at home in the afternoon. JoshAnna could always take this approach to ensure their kids get a well-rounded education. 

• Love 1

Some things were said early on about the extent of Anna's education. I believe that she was also homeschooled, but after that there were some belief that she continued on with college courses and has a degree in "religion"? I'm apprehensive about that one, as she courted Josh at 19 and married him soon after she was 20; a little soon to have a bachelor's degree in "religion" isn't it? Maybe she took "some online faith based courses" at one of those unaccredited fundy Christian made up colleges where you can't apply any of your credits to a real university? If anyone knows what she actually accomplished after high school, I'd like to know. Thanks guys.

I don't ever expect any of them to send any of their kids for one moment to any public school; but I fantasize about sending the kids to a nice small conservative Christian school; at least they would have a stimulating environment and be exposed to other kids not related to them. It would be a better experience than being taught lessons over an all too big uncomfortable adult's desk in the house with soon to be 3 younger siblings interrupting.

I think, but am not sure, that Anna got her GED at sixteen and then did an online unaccredited four year course in child development. She would not get engaged until she was 20 because she wanted to finish the full course to be prepared to educate her own children. And as an early education teacher (my mother was pre-school, public school and Christian school for 25 years) I think she really did learn quite a bit and is pretty good as a teacher.

But my mother still sent all of her own children to preschools (sometimes where she worked) and the local public school. We actually never went to private Christian school because ironically, although both of my parents spent their lives devoted to it -my father was a professor at a Christian college- sending us would have meant every last penny they made and could save for retirement, so we did just fine with the heathens! :)

• Love 2

One of my church friends let her kids go to math and science classes in the morning at high school and homeschooled them in history and English at home in the afternoon. JoshAnna could always take this approach to ensure their kids get a well-rounded education. 

I did something similar in high school, at a private school intended to prepare you for college. We had classes on Tue/Thu, some electives on Wed, and did lots of outside work that our parents were supposed to help us with. The school was full of fundamental, conservative Christians who homeschooled but also wanted their kids to have teachers for higher math classes and science, and a group environment for things like music and drama.

For JoshAnna I wonder if something like K-12 or one of the other online virtual schools would be a good choice. Would provide some structure, a teacher, and would reduce Anna's workload. Still wouldn't be my first choice for Mac, but would be better than what I've seen of the Duggar's homeschooling.

Virginia is pretty strict about what you can use and not use with a combined homeschooling curriculum. For instance, we are very anti-Tebow Rule here, which allows homeschooled students to participate in local football or drama or music programs. The reason for this is that because vast majority of students attend public school, the competition for every extra-curricular is ENORMOUS. Plus, you are expected to kill yourself in school here. My son was a slacker and still took 8 AP/IB classes.

Maryland may be different, but it may not be as easy for Josh and Anna to mix and match as you might think.

• Love 1

Virginia is pretty strict about what you can use and not use with a combined homeschooling curriculum. For instance, we are very anti-Tebow Rule here, which allows homeschooled students to participate in local football or drama or music programs. The reason for this is that because vast majority of students attend public school, the competition for every extra-curricular is ENORMOUS. Plus, you are expected to kill yourself in school here. My son was a slacker and still took 8 AP/IB classes.

Maryland may be different, but it may not be as easy for Josh and Anna to mix and match as you might think.

This is true. They don't allow participation in sports but they do allow you to take courses at the local public high school while primarily homeschooling. We don't do this but it is allowed, at least in Fairfax County. Nothing like that is allowed prior to high school because that just doesn't make sense. Homeschooling in VA is much easier than in Maryland. I don't know the rules about taking classes at the school while homeschooling in MD. Since MD is often referred to as the socialist republic of MD, I'd say they probably don't allow it :-). Either way, none of that is relevant to Josh and Anna for years because it won't come into play until high school. What I think will be more difficult for them is fitting in generally. This is a very highly educated area. The vast majority of people have college educations, many beyond. He is working basically as a lobbyist and that lack of education is going to show. It is also a very expensive place to live. Large families with one income are almost nonexistent. I know one family like that (12 kids) but the father is a former senator so they have enough money. Josh won't have that kind of money.  It's likely the cost to send them to any private school will be well outside of what they can afford. They could probably do some kind of church preschool but when it's time for actual school.... you are taking $15 - $30k per year per kid. 

Personally Josh looks to me like a lot of this is starting to dawn on him. He's woken up from the Duggar reality and finds himself in the real world with decisions he's made for his life that he can't undo (marriage, kids etc). Now he's freaking out. Young Josh may have always wanted this life but Young Josh didn't have a clue what that meant because his parents only gave him the rosy glow they wanted him to believe.

Edited to add.... GEML - hope you love Ireland!!

Edited by 3girlsforus
  • Love 1

I think Josh & Anna are just about reaching the point in their marriage and lives where the reality of what at least Josh's parents' lives were actually like, is becoming personal. It's all well and good to say that you're going to do this or that when you're married, when you have kids (things that your parents did that you liked, things your parents didn't do that you wish they had, things your parents expect you to do, etc), but then you get to actually doing them and sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. I just fervently hope, as I do for all the Duggars, that whatever decisions they are making now about fertility, home schooling, etc, are THEIR decisions and not being forced on them.

Regarding Anna and home schooling Mackyyyyyyynzie with 3 little kids - she will cope the way thousands of other normal home schooling families with little kids do, which is figure out a system that works for them and do it. My kids are kindergarten, pre-k and age 1. We do school at about 2pm every day, when the 1yo is taking her nap. I could make a long list of normal, mainstream, pants-wearing, working for the man families that I know who have home schooled with babies and toddlers and done just fine to my perspective. Kindergarten at home does not take that much time (1 1/2 hours for us), if Mackynzie is as bright as she appears, that means she can finish her work quickly at home, and not have to sit around a kindergarten classroom for 8 hours, bored for 7 of them. I'm not anti-public school by any means, but I am anti-putting my 5-year-old in school for 8 hours a day if I don't have to. As long as J&A live in the DC area, I can't fathom them doing $private$ school and heaven knows public school is way out, so home schooling it is. I hope they do it well. Anyone know what the home schooling laws for VA/MD are as far as reporting? In Michigan where I live, we legally don't have to keep track of or report anything, but I know other states require portfolios, grade reports, etc.

. Anyone know what the home schooling laws for VA/MD are as far as reporting? In Michigan where I live, we legally don't have to keep track of or report anything, but I know other states require portfolios, grade reports, etc.

VA and MD are not similar in their laws. I am under the impression that the Duggars live in MD. In MD you either need an umbrella school or a portfolio. Also mandatory reporting starts at age 5 rather than the more customary age 6. Honestly they should have moved to VA instead. Both the homeschool laws and midwife/homebirth laws are much less confining. 

Wow, Josh looks bad.

Seriously, Anna needs to stop working in the bedroom and get working in the kitchen with better food for Josh, packing him lunches or something.

Josh does not look well at all and that's really sad.

• Love 1

Wow, Josh looks bad.

Seriously, Anna needs to stop working in the bedroom and get working in the kitchen with better food for Josh, packing him lunches or something.

Josh does not look well at all and that's really sad.

I don't mean this question argumentative. How long does it take to look better after a full childhood of mild malnutrition? If Anna started cooking super healthy and Josh completely complied tomorrow, when would he have more color, etc.? I'm honestly asking because I don't know.