Type keyword(s) to search

Jessa, Ben and Their Brood: Making a (Diaper) Mountain out of a Mold House

Message added by Scarlett45

The Duggars post about politics on social media frequently, but these social media posts are not an invitation to discuss politics here in this forum. This rule extends to Duggar adjacent families, friends, associates etc. Such discussions are a violation of the Politics Policy. 

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss certain social media postings of those in the Duggar realm as they relate to politics- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

• Start Topic

On 11/3/2021 at 4:52 PM, BitterApple said:

The Rebranding of Jessa Duggar: Phase 1

Motor-mouthed, rambling Influencer-speak? Check.

Trendy hobby? Check.

Car seat safety and safety knobs on the door to keep the Mom-shamers at bay? Check.

Not having to get a real job? Priceless.

Yeah, I saw the video and was like, what the hell was that? Is she counting on attracting a whole new fan base? Because this new, chirpy, energetic persona she's apparently adopting just makes it seem like she sniffed a bunch of glue. It was more like she was trying to channel Jill than coming across as herself. I mean, it's not like we haven't already had years' worth of her personality documented on video.

It was just bizarre. Kinda like that Insta story she posted of Ben doing that death glare at her. Her new PR peeps are really doing a bang-up job 🤭

• LOL 17
  • Love 1
18 minutes ago, Madtown said:

B3B1AABE-773C-4FA9-8F53-F8DEDC27024C.jpeg

You whoa. Jessa better know what that shirt means.

Oh no, just take it off, take it off.

Oh wait, I think they're at the Seewalds. Never mind, I've settled down. They actually let their kids read books.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
9 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

You whoa. Jessa better know what that shirt means.

Oh no, just take it off, take it off.

Oh wait, I think they're at the Seewalds. Never mind, I've settled down. They actually let their kids read books.

I doubt she’ll ever read it. 😥

3 minutes ago, Zella said:

Just spitballing here, but wouldn't that have worked better as content for October? 

LOL

I think they're (the kids at least) visiting the Seewalds. I'm guessing they took the picture.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Useful 3
9 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I could see it being a little bit of both. Ben was young, but likely Jessa wasn’t crazy about him but wanted the attention of a courtship. JB and Michelle married very young but they were into each other. JB either wanted to see Ben mature or Jessa lose interest. 

I think Jessa wanted to be married and Ben was there. He didn’t repulse her (I believe she thought he was attractive, he is!) so she went with it. 

This hill is 100% speculative and yet I'm still willing to die on it--I don't think Jessa would have married Ben if his aunt hadn't outed their courtship. She liked him, sure, and it was fun to have a guy who wasn't creepy be interested in her, but that relationship would have fizzled out pretty soon. But his aunt had to go on facebook and post that picture of Ben and his girlfriend, which had the internet in a tizzy, which resulted in a recreated courtship for the TLC. And through some combination of Ben growing on her, Jessa thinking he was the type of laid back guy she wanted, her stubborn reluctance to admit publicly that she was wrong/changed her mind about anything, and her remarkable ability and willingness to cut of her nose to spite her face, she ended up continuing the relationship and eventually marrying him.

57 minutes ago, graefin said:

Yeah, I saw the video and was like, what the hell was that? Is she counting on attracting a whole new fan base? Because this new, chirpy, energetic persona she's apparently adopting just makes it seem like she sniffed a bunch of glue. It was more like she was trying to channel Jill than coming across as herself. I mean, it's not like we haven't already had years' worth of her personality documented on video.

It was just bizarre. Kinda like that Insta story she posted of Ben doing that death glare at her. Her new PR peeps are really doing a bang-up job 🤭

I haven't watched the video, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if this was suggested by her PR rep. A chipper, energetic voice is apparently a requirement for influencer success. The only "influencer" who I ever followed had this great, slightly deep, no nonsense voice that I loved because it wasn't at all annoyingly perky. She explained that, as much as these things are studied, there is a strong correlation between higher pitched, animated voices and youtube success. I've heard that from multiple fronts, and I've been told that many popular influencer have a "video" voice that's completely different from how they normally speak. All that, plus people have outright stated that they don't like how unanimated her voice is, and it doesn't surprise me that she's changing it for her videos if she really is trying to make real money on social media.

• Love 12

If I were him, I would step out for a quart of milk and just never come back .

If I were him, I'd wait until Jessa is livestreaming, bursting into the bedroom to show the audience the latest file of feces and decapitation plant placement, only to find him in bed with another woman.

(+50 points if its a man instead of a woman. +200 if the woman is Jana. +5000 if he looks genuinely happy with anyone).

• LOL 5
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, Madtown said:

B3B1AABE-773C-4FA9-8F53-F8DEDC27024C.jpeg

OK, I swear somewhere in the last week I read about a fundy preacher sermonizing against Anne of Green Gables.  Something about Anne using her imagination to get past hard times rather than looking to God.  (These people have no fun in them at all.)  Does anyone remember that?

• Love 10
39 minutes ago, Quilt Fairy said:

OK, I swear somewhere in the last week I read about a fundy preacher sermonizing against Anne of Green Gables.  Something about Anne using her imagination to get past hard times rather than looking to God.  (These people have no fun in them at all.)  Does anyone remember that?

I *swear* I read the same thing (I don't remember where though.)

But the only thing I could find on it was posted 5 years ago.

https://herhighcalling.com/anne-of-green-gables-harmless-fables/

"I’ll be direct, what I am about to say may not be pleasant to hear, especially if you are currently involving yourself with AGG. And in all transparency, I don’t really want to talk about it. There are some dark things to be discussed, and it is an unpleasant warning. But I know that it may be a necessary warning, and if it can prevent some girl somewhere from falling into the trap, I will be the first to sound the alarm. You need to know the truth. It may be a good idea to pray before reading and ask for a heart of humility, that you would be soft enough to earnestly seek the truth about this before coming to conclusions."

Judge Judy Reaction GIF

6 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

I posted a thing about that last week. ... I've also heard somebody I know talk about this -- because she heard it at some conference not dissimilar to the G3 conferences and such that the Duggs/Vuolos/Seewalds have been excitedly attending (and speaking at) lately. 

"There are many dangers in Anne of Green Gables (some of them I will discuss later. Perhaps the one that is most prominent is the one chief theme that the series revolves around. It is not the Lord Jesus Christ. It is not the truth of the Bible. It is imaginations.

"...Imagination is the heart of the AGG series. Anne’s entire identity is wrapped up in it. But something that should be especially concerning to believers is how Anne uses her imagination to not only give her feelings of pleasure, but to separate herself from problems or fears. They are her refuge. They are her comfort. They give her an exit from what is happening. She draws near to them in time of need instead of drawing near to the Lord for those things. The result is young girls learn from Anne’s response to trials. But they don’t learn to look to God, they learn to do what Anne does because it seems to work for her in those books! It is portrayed as a good way to handle life’s problems! And while this is only one of the many places girls learn to copy the waywardness of Anne, it is perhaps one of the most dangerous. It leads children down the road of running to things of the flesh that give pleasure for help instead of God.

"...On the surface, Anne of Green Gables may look wholesome and appealing. And in comparison with many contemporary book series of today it may certainly seem quite harmless. But Satan employs many methods to attack Christians, and his favorite is to start out very imperceptibly. His tactic is to slowly, gradually lead us astray. He is not blatant with us. He is not direct. That would scare us off, and he wants to entice. He wants to start us out on something that looks good and feels good but ultimately is a trap. He appears as an angel of light, not a terrifying hideous creature of darkness. That is why it is so important to be on your guard when it comes to anything you put in your mind.

"...If you accept any bit of that which is wicked you will eventually become completely wicked. If you think a small dose of wickedness won’t effect you, beware. God is not a liar like man. You WILL be affected by it and it WON’T stop there. It will war against you in the weak places first and then piece by piece, little by little, bit by bit you will be broken down and your inhibitions will be so ruined that can no longer stand for anything."

https://herhighcalling.com/anne-of-green-gables-harmless-fables/

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 5
34 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

Just because this paster spoke against the Green Gables books foes not mean ALL fundies are against them. 

The author of that paranoid rant is not a pastor. It's on a blog called "Her High Calling." The author is identified as "Meredith," with a photo of a young white woman, described as "A daughter saved by grace, learning to walk with God and follow her high calling in Christ heavenward." That long piece about AGG (which I scanned through since my life is too short to waste on detailed reading of bullcr*p that's not even amusing) states clearly her fundie beliefs that women are not to ever ever be preachers, and it's absolutely an abomination to the Lord to question authority or let your imagination out for a walk. 

She must have a lot of time on her hands to write all that stuff. It's hard core fundy, all Jesus all the time, 24/7/365 (and 366 each Leap year). IMO she's a religious nut. YMMV.

Edited by Jeeves
  • Useful 3
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, crazycatlady58 said:

Just because this paster spoke against the Green Gables books foes not mean ALL fundies are against them. 

Absolutely not. But there is a school of thought that does embrace this.

That's my only point. It's a mistake to think that nobody would be dumb enough to turn aside from stuff like Anne of Green Gables,  because there are people out there holding these ideas and trying their best to spread them. And some of the people doing that are pastors and religious-conference speakers and the like.

A woman I know has had this particular notion spread to her sometime in the past couple years by some speaker at a fundie conference, and now she's quite committed to it, worried about it and trying to spread it to everybody she knows. She's a grandmother of young kids now. And when her own kids were young, she only took the ban-ungodly-literature thing far enough to ban Harry Potter and stuff like that that actually described witches and the supernatural, along with the more rebellious kids books or teen books that mention sexuality or the like.

But now she's really concerned about her grandchildren being influenced even by books like Anne of Green Gables -- because she's bought the reasoning that when a kid sees a book character consulting their own mind instead of Jesus, that's Satan's foot coming in the door.  (and this is a person who's fundie but actually talks to me....so....not Duggar-level fundie bubble...) 

Given that the Seewalds may well spend a bunch of time reading to tiny children from the Old Testament while keeping most other books off the menu -- because we certainly see them spend some time doing it --  I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility that they'd buy something like this argument, too. ...... They won't necessarily, of course. But some people certainly do. .....

And the "women may not be preachers or ever be in any position of authority over men" thing, which seems to be part of a combo package with some anti-literature thinking, is an integral part of things that the Seewalds/Vuolos/Duggs are involved with -- such as Gothard, the G3 conference and MacArthur's church and related institutions.

So none of this is out of the realm of possibility for the them to buy into, seems to me. That's all I'm saying. Maybe they don't and won't. But they do hang around with people who have these tendencies and they express great admiration for those people. 

So I don't think it's a given that anybody will encourage Ivy to read Anne of Green Gables even though, for some reason, she has that t-shirt.....I doubt any of the Duggar girls have read it. 

Altogether, the Duggars aren't just any fundies. The Duggars are and always have been fringe fundies, in my opinion. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 4
  • Love 9

I can only hope that some serious fundy or Calvinist or whatever flavor of theology, sees that photo of the kid in the Satanic AGG t-shirt and goes nuclear on the Seewalds/Duggars. I'm not a sh*t-stirrer IRL but I'd pay to watch that sh*tstorm rage on social media. 😈

Edited by Jeeves
  • LOL 16
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

I can only hope that some serious fundy or Calvinist or whatever flavor of theology, sees that photo of the kid in the Satanic AGG t-shirt and goes nuclear on the Seewalds/Duggars. I'm not a sh*t-stirrer IRL but I'd pay to watch that sh*tstorm rage on social media. 😈

I can only imagine the long, 'contemplative' and twisted blog post by Mr Seewald in response to any criticism. That man is a piece of work.

• LOL 5
  • Love 4
23 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

Maybe we could create a higher-profile kerfuffle  by mailing Bin a box of kids' t-shirts that say "'Moody Spurgeon McPherson Rocks' Anne of Green Gables."  How could he resist seeing them dressed up in a shirt that promotes his alma mater and his oldest son's name?  He might even read the book to them some time if he saw that. 

• LOL 8
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

So I don't think it's a given that anybody will encourage Ivy to read Anne of Green Gables even though, for some reason, she has that t-shirt...

Yeah, I wasn't trying to make any statement about Bin and Jessa's beliefs or analyze what flavor of fundy believes AGG is Satanic, just that it was a funny coincidence that she posts that picture a few days after I read the other thing (it must have been posted on Reddit). 

• Love 6
15 minutes ago, Quilt Fairy said:

Yeah, I wasn't trying to make any statement about Bin and Jessa's beliefs or analyze what flavor of fundy believes AGG is Satanic, just that it was a funny coincidence that she posts that picture a few days after I read the other thing (it must have been posted on Reddit). 

Yeah, I didn't intend to suggest that your were making a statement, either. I was also just commenting on the randomness of her being in that t-shirt.... 

I'm pretty sure we've talked before about Jessa using that quote somewhere........So I think she likes the quote. But the other time I vaguely remember (or hallucinate) that wherever the quote was didn't say where the quote came from.....😁

• Useful 1

I brought up Anne of Green Gables a couple of weeks ago comparing the Seewald kids being exposed to harsh Bible quotes, rather than a sweet, happy and hopeful quote like, "Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it yet".

So, yes, if Jessa reads here, and I think she does, the shirt may well be a FU Internet.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
23 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I brought up Anne of Green Gables a couple of weeks ago comparing the Seewald kids being exposed to harsh Bible quotes, rather than a sweet, happy and hopeful quote like, "Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it yet".

So, yes, if Jessa reads here, and I think she does, the shirt may well be a FU Internet.

Actions speak louder than t-shirt words, Jessa. 😁

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 8
10 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

Maybe the real question we should be asking ourselves is -- what does Joanna Gaines think of the Green Gables books?   

• LOL 12
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Churchhoney said:

Yeah, I didn't intend to suggest that your were making a statement, either. I was also just commenting on the randomness of her being in that t-shirt.... 

I'm pretty sure we've talked before about Jessa using that quote somewhere........So I think she likes the quote. But the other time I vaguely remember (or hallucinate) that wherever the quote was didn't say where the quote came from.....😁

It was Jinger who used the quote on her SM, IIRC. And I’m sure she hasn’t read the books either. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

I posted a thing about that last week. ... I've also heard somebody I know talk about this -- because she heard it at some conference not dissimilar to the G3 conferences and such that the Duggs/Vuolos/Seewalds have been excitedly attending (and speaking at) lately. 

I  *knew*  I read it somewhere! 😁

• LOL 2
39 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

About what?  Isn't he about as bland as wallpaper paste?

Doesn't matter in this family, I guess. Apparently people clamor for Q&As from Jer and Jingle. And Jed/Hannah recently felt their fans would have a bunch of questions for them to answer....Why? about what? Where would anybody conjure up any questions for these people?  Except for people who, you know, personally know them, who in the world would want to ask them anything? 

When they do stuff like that, I'm always stunned by how alien all that seems to me, a not-famous person,.....and how really really different it must be to be someone who makes the assumption that strangers will line up to ask you questions about your life. ...(and how much I wouldn't want to be a person in that category....)   

And when I've digested how weird that seems, I'm weirded out again when it occurs to me how very very average and dull and super-ordinary their lives actually are (except for their extreme beliefs, about which they won't answer questions).....And I'm weirded out again by the nuttiness of fame in our time. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 16
8 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Oh, so he isn't going to talk about himself personally, he's going to give advice!!!!!.... OMG. WTF and a long list of other exclamations. 

Bin -- your life appears to be a raging disaster in just about every respect.....! Who in the world do you think you are???? .....

I assume the guest/partner is more of an "expert" of some kind than BS. .... Nevertheless, he can't be all that wise or he wouldn't join BS for an advice-giving session. Yeesh. 

The utterly unjustified arrogance of this entire crowd continues to be off the charts. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 23
14 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Oh, so he isn't going to talk about himself personally, he's going to give advice!!!!!.... OMG. WTF and a long list of other exclamations. 

Bin -- your life appears to be a raging disaster in just about every respect.....! Who in the world do you think you are???? .....

I assume the guest/partner is more of an "expert" of some kind than BS. .... Nevertheless, he can't be all that wise or he wouldn't join BS for an advice-giving session. Yeesh. 

The utterly unjustified arrogance of this entire crowd continues to be off the charts. 

It's stunning, isn't it?  For Ben to think he has any advice to offer anyone.  So both and Jeremy have detached from reality and believe there is a public clamoring to hear their words of wisdom and watch them eat burgers and play golf.

Edited by Suzn
  • Love 16

Doesn't matter in this family, I guess. Apparently people clamor for Q&As from Jer and Jingle. And Jed/Hannah recently felt their fans would have a bunch of questions for them to answer....Why? about what? Where would anybody conjure up any questions for these people?  Except for people who, you know, personally know them, who in the world would want to ask them anything? 

When they do stuff like that, I'm always stunned by how alien all that seems to me, a not-famous person,.....and how really really different it must be to be someone who makes the assumption that strangers will line up to ask you questions about your life. ...(and how much I wouldn't want to be a person in that category....)   

And when I've digested how weird that seems, I'm weirded out again when it occurs to me how very very average and dull and super-ordinary their lives actually are (except for their extreme beliefs, about which they won't answer questions).....And I'm weirded out again by the nuttiness of fame in our time. 

Many of us have questions we’d love to ask them, but they wouldn’t answer any of those.

• LOL 7
  • Love 14

Ben has been trying his hand at interviewing people and offering spiritual advice for years, though he paused that while getting his Moody degree. I'm guessing he's one of those people who gets a degree to legitimize his ramblings rather than attempting to learn anything.

• Love 13

Does Ben not realize that anyone who might seek him out for advice is doing so because of his connection to Jessa and her family? We rightfully give Jeremy a lot of shit for this, but I think that--frustrated he may be by the fact--he knows very well who's the famous one in his marriage. He keeps making attempts to legitimize himself as an authority and a draw over Jinger, but he still plays the game of doting husband on social media. Ben is so openly hostile towards Jessa, as if he doesn't know or care that he wouldn't be interviewing anyone if it weren't for her.

I don't even know how to feel about that, honestly. I guess on one hand he's more honest than Jeremy, in not openly using his wife to get ahead. But it kind of reeks of arrogance to me. Sure, make a youtube channel and make it clear that it's not about your personal life at all. But don't lie to yourself--any chance of this thing succeeding is entirely due to your wife. Don't be a dick to her on camera while she's making videos to keep your children fed.

Edited by lascuba
  • Love 17
58 minutes ago, lascuba said:

Ben has been trying his hand at interviewing people and offering spiritual advice for years, though he paused that while getting his Moody degree. I'm guessing he's one of those people who gets a degree to legitimize his ramblings rather than attempting to learn anything.

Yep. That's why he had to quit social media back when they were first married. Because nothing he said was even close to coherent and the only thing anybody could really glean from it was that in addition to being a garbled mess it was bigoted, and mean....

I kind of hoped that debacle had convinced him to offer future advice to smaller groups than the whole internet. Obviously not a good bet in the case of any Duggar or Duggar adjacent. 

Their TLC "career" obviously means God has called them to speak to the whole world. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • LOL 5
  • Love 3

IDK, I think Ben thinks he's also a TV star and he's the draw for views. He's been part of filming for 7 or 8 years. To me the difference between Ben and Jeremy, is that Jeremy somewhat knows Jeremy is a poser, but Ben think's Ben is all that.

• Love 8
Just now, GeeGolly said:

IDK, I think Ben thinks he's also a TV star and he's the draw for views. He's been part of filming for 7 or 8 years. To me the difference between Ben and Jeremy, is that Jeremy somewhat knows Jeremy is a poser, but Ben think's Ben is all that.

See, I think the opposite. I think JereME thinks he is all that, AND a bag of chips (or a cheeseburger, or a fountain pen, or brand name kicks… whatever)! I think Ben just thinks whatever Jessa tells him to think.

• Love 17
2 minutes ago, Westiepeach said:

See, I think the opposite. I think JereME thinks he is all that, AND a bag of chips (or a cheeseburger, or a fountain pen, or brand name kicks… whatever)! I think Ben just thinks whatever Jessa tells him to think.

LOL

I base my thoughts on their histories. Jeremy has been chasing the top either in sports and now the ministry, but can't quite make it and like @lascuba posted, knows how he got his audience. Ben on the other hand strutted into the Duggar family feeling superior. He thought he was smart and handsome enough to get the pretty one and he did. Also his SM rants and sermon like posts came off as not only mean, but very pretentious. And now his college educated.

But I can see the opposite as being true too. Maybe they're both somewhere in the middle. lol

• Love 5

Two days in, BS has 56 subscribers. Comments are turned off.

Wonder if he imagines he can compete with Jessa's money-earning ability on youtube. I don't think she'll be breaking any records, either. But.....Who the heck will watch this? 

Bin and Jer are definitely on the same conservative-Calvinist page these days. His guest here, Owen Strachan, is the guy who wrote the anti-social-justice book to which MacArthur contributed the Foreword. The one Jer was promoting in an insta story the other day. 

Looks like he's some kind of complementarian, too, just like others in this crowd. ... "Strachan is the former president of the Council on Biblical Manhood & Womanhood," Also -- "a Senior Fellow with the Center for Biblical Worldview at the Family Research Council."

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 6
  • LOL 3
16 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

LOL

I base my thoughts on their histories. Jeremy has been chasing the top either in sports and now the ministry, but can't quite make it and like @lascuba posted, knows how he got his audience. Ben on the other hand strutted into the Duggar family feeling superior. He thought he was smart and handsome enough to get the pretty one and he did. Also his SM rants and sermon like posts came off as not only mean, but very pretentious. And now his college educated.

But I can see the opposite as being true too. Maybe they're both somewhere in the middle. lol

Agreed. Maybe Bin felt superior and smart and handsome enough for a hot minute, but then the neutering happened.

• LOL 11
  • Love 5
1 minute ago, YupItsMe said:

Who will watch? I imagine a lot of snarkers will so he’ll get views even if he doesn’t get subscribers.

Probably. That's why he's turned the comments off, I guess! 

I couldn't watch more than a minute, though. To me, he's insufferable in that video. It's odd, too, because as a preacher I find him fairly tolerable. (Well, compared to Jer, anyway) But maybe he has some camera fright here or something. So pompous.......And for such a dolt to be that pompous....wow. 

• Love 9