Type keyword(s) to search

Jessa, Ben and Their Brood: Making a (Diaper) Mountain out of a Mold House

Message added by Scarlett45

The Duggars post about politics on social media frequently, but these social media posts are not an invitation to discuss politics here in this forum. This rule extends to Duggar adjacent families, friends, associates etc. Such discussions are a violation of the Politics Policy. 

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss certain social media postings of those in the Duggar realm as they relate to politics- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

• Start Topic

8 minutes ago, Chicklet said:

I got a no-knead dough recipe for you! It's so easy you just mix it up and slap it into the fridge til you need it. Yummy too.

Baking is chemistry (needs to be accurate) but once you try it a few times, it's easy and you want to do more. There in lies the slippery slope.

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/no-knead-pizza-crust-recipe

Thank-you.

Give me a hunk of clay and I'll knead the shit out of it, and create something awesome, but I have absolutely no desire to make dough. 

To bring it back to the Duggars, maybe Jessa would appreciate the no-knead recipe.

• Love 4

If I remember correctly is was Jana, of course, that was shown baking about 40 small loaves of bread. Jessa was shown not even being able to heat up store bought rolls in the oven without burning them. Jessa wings it in the kitchen and doesn't care about cooking. I can tell by her attitude when she's there. Ben is the chef, chief cook and bottle washer. If he could birth and breast feed the babies, he would...Jessa wouldn't mind one bit. She has the 'balls' in that family; Ben's to be specific in a jar on her night stand.

• LOL 5
  • Love 6
34 minutes ago, floridamom said:

She has the 'balls' in that family; Ben's to be specific in a jar on her night stand.

Balls yes, on the night stand, no, I’m pretty sure Ben hasn’t seen his balls since he started courting her. Maybe she gave them to Boob and when Ben cleans enough toilets he can peek at them.

• LOL 6
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

Do you mean Duggar moms? Fundy moms?

I was a stay at home mom for 10 years. Never did I make homemade dough for anything, or even contemplate it. Now I'm a semi-retired woman in the middle of a pandemic, seeing homemade everything posts all over SM, and still no dough.

I was talking about the Duggar/funny Mum’s. 

I apologise, Ive always made my own pizza dough, and I’m not a great cook. In fact I’m a one pot wonder mostly. But it’s cheap and easy to make so I’ve always just made it. 

• Love 5

I don't have a problem with her not making her own dough. I never made pizza dough. But putting sauce and cheese on a piece of bread and making a how-to video about it? She's just clueless and/or lazy. 

Someone in Reddit pointed out that she mentions making it all the time, but the kids look at the "pizza" like they've never seen such a thing before. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, floridamom said:

If I remember correctly is was Jana, of course, that was shown baking about 40 small loaves of bread. Jessa was shown not even being able to heat up store bought rolls in the oven without burning them. Jessa wings it in the kitchen and doesn't care about cooking. I can tell by her attitude when she's there. Ben is the chef, chief cook and bottle washer. If he could birth and breast feed the babies, he would...Jessa wouldn't mind one bit. She has the 'balls' in that family; Ben's to be specific in a jar on her night stand.

Funny story,  when my dad remarried..he married a conservative Christian (who thinks witches and Harry Potter are the work of the devil, etc).  On the surface, he's the decision maker...but in reality that isn't the case.  I lived for a summer in Mississippi and noticed this for most couples in the local church my dad went to.  It made me glad I opted not to marry.

And I see Jessa and Ben fall into that category.  She makes the decisions while he meekly agrees...but on the surface he's the head of the household 

• Useful 3
  • Love 5
(edited)

I feel dirty saying anything remotely in defense of Jessa--who I wholeheartedly agree is a lazy slob--but there have been shortages of things like yeast and flour in my corner of Arkansas, which is right next to her corner. Or at least there were in the earlier stages of the pandemic. I've shopping for myself and my grandma (who does like to bake), and it was a weekly futile trip to the baking aisle for baking soda for the longest time. Finally scored some baking soda this week. Or last week? My journeys have all run together. 😄

And on every trip, all the flour would be wiped out completely. To the point complete strangers would be bitching to me about how they'd been to multiple stores in search of flour and yeast. 

So, I really don't think anyone should be expected to make homemade dough right now. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 18
35 minutes ago, Future Cat Lady said:

Someone in Reddit pointed out that she mentions making it all the time, but the kids look at the "pizza" like they've never seen such a thing before. 

I think the Redditers are right. When Jessa set the pizza down, Spurge didn't even look up from his toy, while Henry stared like "what is this?." Neither of them took a slice until Jessa prompted them. It wouldn't surprise me if all these videos are for show, and Jessa's cracking open cans of Chef Boyardee 90% of the time. 

• LOL 13
  • Love 3
(edited)
53 minutes ago, Future Cat Lady said:

I don't have a problem with her not making her own dough. I never made pizza dough. But putting sauce and cheese on a piece of bread and making a how-to video about it? She's just clueless and/or lazy. 

Can I vote for both? 

(Even though I agree with @Zella about everybody getting off the baking hook because of the shortages in stores.)

Edited by Churchhoney
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
53 minutes ago, Future Cat Lady said:

I’m sure Ben cooks better pizza with his eyes closed.

• Love 7
(edited)

I don't think you can call cheese on a tortilla pizza, but then I'm picky. Yea shortages of flour have been a problem and I had to wait weeks for yeast but it's gotten better. And I weep for the poor loaves of bread baked by people who thought this was the best time to bake for the first time. Yikes. Wasted flour, yeast, time and money.

Though cheese on a tortilla is the beginning of a good quesadilla.

Edited by Chicklet
  • Love 7

I will give them a break for not baking bread right now as well, though. Baking supplies are pretty much impossible to find right now.,,

I found that out fairly early during the pandemic. Did manage to find a small bag of generic, store-brand flour, but I really wanted King Arthur, and finally, in desperation, ended up ordering a 50 lb bag, which was the only way I could find it available. So I'm probably set for flour for the year now!

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I will give them a break for not baking bread right now as well, though. Baking supplies are pretty much impossible to find right now.,,

I found that out fairly early during the pandemic. Did manage to find a small bag of generic, store-brand flour, but I really wanted King Arthur, and finally, in desperation, ended up ordering a 50 lb bag, which was the only way I could find it available. So I'm probably set for flour for the year now!

I did the same thing.....😁

I'm gonna have to bake quite a bit more than usual to use it up.....It'd be easier if I had 19 kids, I guess. 

• Love 5
3 minutes ago, emma675 said:

I know this is mean and not the point, but every time Jessa posts one of those "Sayings of Spurgeon" quotes, it makes me not like that kid a little bit. Which is totally unfair, since I'm 99% sure Jessa makes that crap up and he's not even saying it. If he were in a real school, I imagine him as the teacher's pet, ratting out his classmates and smiling like an innocent cherub the whole time. Jessa is not doing this kid any favors with those dumb posts.

my reaction is the opposite - I don't believe he says any of that crap.

as far as this particular deep quote/cuteness of spurgeon , here is henry on a balance bike (how did they afford/grift that) and on a sunday, spurg insists on carrying a hymnal to show us they are not at Pa Caldwell's or some other church ??

• Love 5
9 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I took a question over to Small Talk.

• Love 1

My kids were/are admittedly weird. And I can actually see one of them singing to a farm animal - now and at Spurgie's age. But what I don't get is Spurgie (or anyone) wanting to bring a hymnal. Most kids would be thinking carrots or hay, or if you're one of my kids, maybe pizza.

When Spurge went on a hike with Ben, they were discussing how big something was, maybe a tree stump, and Spurge says, it's not bigger than God. Now he brings a hymnal to a local farm?

I agree, Jessa is not doing Spurgie any favors.

• Love 14
4 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

My kids were/are admittedly weird. And I can actually see one of them singing to a farm animal - now and at Spurgie's age. But what I don't get is Spurgie (or anyone) wanting to bring a hymnal. Most kids would be thinking carrots or hay, or if you're one of my kids, maybe pizza.

When Spurge went on a hike with Ben, they were discussing how big something was, maybe a tree stump, and Spurge says, it's not bigger than God. Now he brings a hymnal to a local farm?

I agree, Jessa is not doing Spurgie any favors.

Don't you think a kid Spurgeon's age would be more likely to sing Old MacDonald to the animals, though?  Or, if he isn't allowed to sing secular kids' songs, how about 'Jesus loves me' or 'This little light of mine'?

• Love 8
1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

Don't you think a kid Spurgeon's age would be more likely to sing Old MacDonald to the animals, though?  Or, if he isn't allowed to sing secular kids' songs, how about 'Jesus loves me' or 'This little light of mine'?

I'm surprised he didn't demand to recite Psalm I.  😈

• LOL 7
  • Love 2
Just now, VioletWitch said:

Weather in Arkansas has been mid to upper 80's and humid, but thank goodness, Ivy has leggings so she won't defraud her brothers with her chubby legs.  And that thing on her head makes her look like she has a head injury.

• LOL 5
  • Love 10

That outfit looks the one Felicity is in the TLC promos. Only Felicity's outfit is a romper and Ivy's is a dress with leggings. 

6 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Cute outfit, but it looks like it won't fit her next week.

True, but plenty of little girl cousins to pass it too. Not to mention Jessa can save it for her next baby girl. 

Ivy looks very cute though. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, VioletWitch said:

Oh my.  The dress already looks dirty.  Because of the shadows?

And the headband makes her hair look sweaty.  And the leggings!!!!!!!

I am already weeping for the future of this little one.

• Love 7