Type keyword(s) to search

Jessa, Ben and Their Brood: Making a (Diaper) Mountain out of a Mold House

Message added by Scarlett45

The Duggars post about politics on social media frequently, but these social media posts are not an invitation to discuss politics here in this forum. This rule extends to Duggar adjacent families, friends, associates etc. Such discussions are a violation of the Politics Policy. 

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss certain social media postings of those in the Duggar realm as they relate to politics- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

• Start Topic

Well, technically she isn't lying. Grandma Mary gave them the Mold House. And if word on the street is true about this being the Pastor House for his church, Boob wasn't involved here, either. It's easy to live simply when you can grift stuff like two houses. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 18

I’m confused. Is the house theirs or does it belong to the church?

Is Ben the pastor at that church?

I don’t believe they would sink their money into a home they don’t own. 

Surely there are records on who owns that house property. 

• Love 6
28 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

I don’t believe they would sink their money into a home they don’t own. 

You'd be surprised. Erin Bates and her husband have lived in a rental for eight years and they're constantly renovating and repainting. I think their landlord gives them a discount on rent, but it's still a waste of time and energy. Fundie logic is like the opposite of what normal people would do.

You'd think a greedy grifter like Boob would be smarter though. I'm not sure he'd lend out his indentured servants sons to do all that work on a property that isn't part of the Duggar fold. 

• Love 10
1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

You'd be surprised. Erin Bates and her husband have lived in a rental for eight years and they're constantly renovating and repainting. I think their landlord gives them a discount on rent, but it's still a waste of time and energy. Fundie logic is like the opposite of what normal people would do.

You'd think a greedy grifter like Boob would be smarter though. I'm not sure he'd lend out his indentured servants sons to do all that work on a property that isn't part of the Duggar fold. 

But Chad and Erin have really only made cosmetic improvements.

Adding the bedroom/bathroom/laundry room is probably $20,000. The dining room/kitchen reno is probably another $20,000. If the Seewalds are using their money, they're spending upwards of $50,000. Unless they're guaranteed free housing for 10 or so years, that's a lot of money to blow, if they walk away from the house empty handed.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
7 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

What do y'all think is in that bedroom closet? I kind of looks like a microwave, but I'm fairly certain its not that. Did Jessa say what it is?

I thought it was an empty electrical panel since it had wiring and a lock

• Useful 2
Just now, crazy8s said:

I thought it was an empty electrical panel since it had wiring and a lock

It kinda looks like some sort of electric circuit box to me.  Maybe it's a TV and the wire hanging up there is the cable input?  Jessa usually likes to pretend they don't ever watch TV, so hiding it in the back of a closet seems like something she might do.

• LOL 3
  • Love 4

to be honest, we live in a rental and we are putting some money into it to make it how we want it to be, with approval from the owners. however we are not spending 50,000 dollars or whatever jessa is investing. and we have the option to buy this house if we so choose to. so it would not be wasted money spent here for us. and the owners have cautioned us not to put a lot of oney into it so we are being very choosy as to what we do. we have no plans to move in the foreseeable future and they dont want us to. 

• Love 6

If the house is owned by the church, perhaps they are getting to live there as part of Ben’s compensation package (that is sometimes the case with ministers) or for reduced rent, and perhaps part of the deal is that the Duggar contractors will fix it up.  Did Jessa say that they bought the new house, or just that they are moving to a new house?

• Love 6
22 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

If the house is owned by the church, perhaps they are getting to live there as part of Ben’s compensation package (that is sometimes the case with ministers) or for reduced rent, and perhaps part of the deal is that the Duggar contractors will fix it up.  Did Jessa say that they bought the new house, or just that they are moving to a new house?

She's been very cagey from what I've seen. She used the word "acquired" in one of her snippy responses. 

• Useful 2
  • LOL 8
  • Love 11
50 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

Jessa has been pretty careful not to specify except to tell us that JB didn't buy the place for them.  She has said the renovations are being paid out of their savings.  No mention as to who owns the house.

They are doing an awful lot if it is not their home.  Even if Ben loves this church and plans to be there for years and years, the congregation is not large and there is no guarantee he will not either lose the job or the number of members drop too low to support them.  

If this house really belongs to the church, living in it has got to have a lot more strings attached than the typical rental home.

Edited by Rootbeer
  • Love 17

Isn’t there paperwork when a home is bought or sold?  Surely one of our sleuths could find out!

Also if there are property taxes in Arkansas those records would list the owner. 

Personally I think Jesse is playing with us!  Get back for calling her home the mold house!

• Love 5

Is it possible that they bought the church property, including the pastors house?  Thereby giving Ben his own church to preach in? 

or maybe the church and the house are on adjoining properties and the church is selling the house.  There are lots of reasons that could happen. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3

Washington county has the house and church still owned by the church. last activity was a survey in April 2020 for the church property and the vacant house. both the church address and the house address show the same survey. I don't see a deed transfer, sale or lot split anywhere.

• Useful 18
  • Love 4
28 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

Washington county has the house and church still owned by the church. last activity was a survey in April 2020 for the church property and the vacant house. both the church address and the house address show the same survey. I don't see a deed transfer, sale or lot split anywhere.

As I understand it, the only property currently in the Seewald's names is the Mold House. They've been working on the new place since Jessa was still pregnant with Fern, so it's not an issue of a recent sale not being recorded by the county.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

If the house is truly owned by the church, they can set aside a portion of Ben's salary as a "parsonage allowance" that makes this money tax free to be used on things like utilities, furnishings, maintenance, etc.  Whatever isn't used is then just added back to the taxable income.  This amount has to be set at the beginning of each tax year and at least in our denomination, takes a formal church meeting to change.  

Some churches alternatively provide a "housing allowance" which is used for rental/mortgage payments as well as the other things I listed above.  

Having lived in church owned housing for most of the last 25 years, I can say that they are idiots if they are truly putting their own money into that house if there is not an agreement to buy it if they separate from the church.  He can't be making enough salary to offset the tax deduction this year and it does not roll over.   

• Useful 15
  • Love 8

Ok on one of those videos over on YouTube they are saying the house was a tax sale. The owner didn’t pay taxes. JimBob bought a house at that same address for taxes due!

Consider this a rumor for now!

Tuff Topic is the youtuber 

Edited by Jeanne222
  • Useful 2
  • Love 3

It could be that the house was owned by the church but perhaps the church could not support the house and taxes went into default!

So the property went up for sale for taxes due!

Jim Bob lives for those sales!

• Useful 3
  • Love 5
5 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

Jessa, are you really paying for all of this with just your savings, and no help? 

Savings from what?

Ben doesn't work; he does some odd jobs for his father-in-law and writes "sermons" that no one listens to for a tiny church that no one attends. He has also spent money over the years on on-line "college" classes and fabulous Amish fashion.

Jessa does some SM posts that might bring in a couple of thousand dollars a month -- tops.

I think Jessa lies the same way Derick does. She thinks that if she puts words into a certain order that she's not actually "lying" even though she is intentionally misrepresenting the facts. Her father didn't "give" her a house. He "paid" Ben for the "work" he did, and they used the money that they had "saved" from this "work" to "buy" a house and "pay" her siblings for their work. It's all just so exhausting. If the way they manage their money is the best-est, most jesus-y way to manage finances (or even remotely legal or moral), why not just be honest about it? 

• Love 24
1 hour ago, Jeanne222 said:

Tuff Topic is the youtuber 

i am skeptical.

that person boggled my brain - first she claims Jason or James might own it because the both bought houses of that size. then she says Jb bought it at a tax sale in 2011???  I had to quit watching after that. because what, JB happened to buy a house at a tax sale 10years ago, that just happened to end up being at the church Bin ends up working at and yet they stay in the cramped mold house for years because....? maybe she explained, but it seemed she was basing it on JB bought a 2,000 square ft house at a tax auction in 2011 or some such.

the church's taxes are current and when you map the property, it shows the house within the boundaries.

if there is anything to find out, those relentless folks on Reddit will find it.

Edited by crazy8s
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, emmawoodhouse said:

so it's not an issue of a recent sale not being recorded by the county.

Yeah and in my experience, the property records database gets updated pretty regularly/promptly. If it was actually sold to them before Fern was born, it would be on there, IMO. 

• Love 9

While Arkansas's tax laws may be different, most church owned housing (or any other church owned property) is not subject to real estate/property taxes.  I'm not sure what happens if a church has rental housing for non-pastoral staff.  This is one of the arguments for why churches should lose their tax exempt status.   (I disagree with this simply because the majority of small churches would have to choose between taxes and outreach work and communities would suffer.  Obviously megachurches are different but that's a different conversation for another day.)

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

WACB just did a video on this. She says Ben is the preacher, the house is owned by the church. 
Ben was brought in as pastor because low older membership needs rekindling with some young ones. 

Evidently Ben and Boob are different religions. Lol. 

What a family. I would guess the house is being funded by non existing church funds and tax breaks!

I’m not sure on any of this and just brought over my understanding for those that don’t do YouTube!

• Useful 5
  • Love 1

She’s digging in even further and making herself look more disingenuous . Jessa, you know nothing about work and I have a feeling you support workers being paid as little as possible. 

Edited by Cinnabon
  • Useful 1
  • Love 20
3 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

Jessa - let’s break it down. Other than just a rent or mortgage, most of us have many more expense...

*clothing/shoes for a family of 6, 4 of whom are growing kids and need new clothes for every season. 

They only need clothing for two kids. Are children unable to wear hand-me-downs now?

• Useful 1

Don't they have just 4 outfits each?  Was that what she said?  And those outfits are purchased at thrift stores.  Poor Spurge is often pictured wearing "outfits" that are much too small for him.  I don't think they spend much on clothing.

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I agree. This level of bitterness isn't healthy. It might be time for Jessa take a break from social media.

With regards to the house, I see two scenarios, both of which make me side-eye:

1. The church owns the house and is letting their pastor live there. Fine and dandy. It's not uncommon. However, Jessa and Bin are fools if they're dumping their savings into a house they don't own. Also, why lie about it?

2. Boob bought the house. Again, I don't judge. Jessa was a nanny-slave her entire life and participated in both shows. Boob giving her money or property she's technically earned doesn't bother me. But again, why lie about it? 

For whatever reason, this move has really triggered something in Jessa. I've never seen her argue with Internet trolls on this level before. 

I agree that there;s nothing wrong with either scenario. My next door neighbors growing up were the heads of a church and there was a small apartment connected to their church and their aunt lived there rent free. It's cool. 

And also -- nothing wrong with parents helping kids buy homes. Many parents help kids with the down payment of their first house. As you pointed out, for over 18 years Jessa worked salary-free for JB as a J-slave. If JB wants to buy Jessa a house, good on her.

But Jessa's anger, resentment and denial -- serious things going on there. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 20
17 minutes ago, farmgal4 said:

I think Jessa’s anger and resentment are being directed at the wrong people.  She probably has subconscious anger and resentment for Josh and her parents and doesn’t even realize it.  Ben probably gets the brunt of it.

I think she's also angry and resentful because Bin is a total layabout. You can tell that hustling on social media is something that Jessa isn;t good at -- she doesn't have the charming, laid-back persona of the top mommy vloggers. Nor is she good at "engagement" by chatting with her followers. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 12