Type keyword(s) to search

Jessa, Ben and Their Brood: Making a (Diaper) Mountain out of a Mold House

Message added by Scarlett45

The Duggars post about politics on social media frequently, but these social media posts are not an invitation to discuss politics here in this forum. This rule extends to Duggar adjacent families, friends, associates etc. Such discussions are a violation of the Politics Policy. 

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss certain social media postings of those in the Duggar realm as they relate to politics- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

• Start Topic

The spelling is less concerning than the mislabeling of shapes. Oh, and Jessa's "good job." I would have expected her to fix either the labels or the shapes. Or does she not realize? 

I taught K-4. Shit like that bugs. It's a whole lot easier to teach than to unteach. 

• Love 16
35 minutes ago, PuhLeeze said:

The spelling is less concerning than the mislabeling of shapes. Oh, and Jessa's "good job." I would have expected her to fix either the labels or the shapes. Or does she not realize? 

I taught K-4. Shit like that bugs. It's a whole lot easier to teach than to unteach. 

Well, in for a penny, in for a pound.  Once you've committed yourself to silently not fixing the spelling of your nieces or nephews, you have to tell your own kid he did a good job... and he did remember (what he was told was) the sequence frontwards and backwards.  I myself don't know precise educational theory on the topic, but I also find it hard to believe that "learning wrong things" are the way to go... and I do remember reading something not too long ago which said that spelling is a visual art, and we do our kids a disservice by ever making them do those drills where they have to look at words spelled incorrectly... but I also think Jessa is enough of an incurious dimwit that she wouldn't even stop to wonder "hey, maybe he shouldn't be specifically learning wrong info at any time".  She strikes me as 200% more likely to be the "oh well, all of this is playtime he won't remember" laissez-faire type, whether that's actually correct interpretation of child development or not. 

Edited by queenanne
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, kalamac said:

I have to say, even if Spurge was just repeating what he was told, rather than sight recognizing the shapes, he still has a pretty good memory for a kid his age, to get through them all without prompting. I've known 3 year olds who would have lost track part way through if they were just trying to parrot back something they'd been told.

Here's hoping someone (it'll have to be Ben, won't it - pay attention Ben), notices this and pushes for proper schooling, before he becomes as dull and uninterested as his aunts and uncles.

Yep, even if he just memorized them, I was impressed he did them forward and backwards. That's a lot for such a little guy. 

• Love 10
4 hours ago, Fostersmom said:

Yep, even if he just memorized them, I was impressed he did them forward and backwards. That's a lot for such a little guy. 

However, we really don't know how long little Spurgie was practicing. Hopefully it was in a playful atmosphere and he was having fun.

• Love 3

Either way, he does seem like a bright little boy and some effort is being put into his early education , no matter how it is done. I wish there was some way he could continue to learn properly and not fall victim to the SOTDRT

• Love 20

Nine-year-old Kenzie should sure as heck know how many sides a hexagon has and how to spell "square." Maybe 6-year-old Michael made all the errors and Kenzie is being taught never to correct boys because they are her superior? Aren't kids typically taught shapes in preschool? It's a crime those kids are not being educated. They will grow up to be dumb-as-posts, just like their parents.

Edited by monkeypox
  • Love 10

Seeing as my sister had to give my 15 year old nephew a cheat sheet on how to sign his NAME last week to sign his temps (his school district no longer teaches cursive) and while she did try to teach him a few years ago, it didn't take, I'm not going to question the shapes, spellings, or handwriting of a 6 or even 8 year old at this point. 

• Love 11
3 hours ago, lascuba said:

Since the whole thing was clearly a thing amongst little kids, I don't get the concern over misspellings and inaccurate shapes. The kids were playing school, it would have been kind of obnoxious for the parents to swoop in and correct them during their game. It would be the equivalent of interrupting a game of make-believe to inform them that whatever imaginary thing their discussing isn't real. 

Jessa posting this isn't like the diaper thing at all. That was just nasty and she deserved to be roasted over it. This is just kids being kids. 

And then you remember they are taught the entire population of the world could stand side by side the breadth of Arkansas and people rode dinosaurs. That is the trigger. Not worried that he is playing school, it's not a big deal. It's just us having some fun on here mocking the SOTDR. not the kids playing, and not little Spurgeon who seems very bright. 

• Love 16
1 hour ago, sometimesy said:

And then you remember they are taught the entire population of the world could stand side by side the breadth of Arkansas and people rode dinosaurs. That is the trigger. Not worried that he is playing school, it's not a big deal. It's just us having some fun on here mocking the SOTDR. not the kids playing, and not little Spurgeon who seems very bright. 

Making fun of of the SOTDR is totally fine with me, it's the concern and anger that I'm responding to. Personally, I'm aware of their beliefs on population and dinosaurs with every breath they take, but bringing that up with Jinger and Jeremy is negativity and not wanting people to be happy, even though they are blatantly patriarchal and low-key hateful most of the time. Hell, even bringing up that Jana might be as nasty as her religious beliefs is a problem. But Jessa posts something that could be any other child in any other context, and it's all genuine concern over the quality of their education? Eehhhh. 

• Love 11
13 minutes ago, lascuba said:

Making fun of of the SOTDR is totally fine with me, it's the concern and anger that I'm responding to. Personally, I'm aware of their beliefs on population and dinosaurs with every breath they take, but bringing that up with Jinger and Jeremy is negativity and not wanting people to be happy, even though they are blatantly patriarchal and low-key hateful most of the time. Hell, even bringing up that Jana might be as nasty as her religious beliefs is a problem. But Jessa posts something that could be any other child in any other context, and it's all genuine concern over the quality of their education? Eehhhh. 

Yeah, but we are talking about known homeschoolers, who have been ejected from the known homeschool dumb as posts.  Maybe a stranger posts it, and/but we have good reasons to believe that they are "just playing around" and will eventually be corrected in a school.  

I don't consider it out of the ordinary that many people would assume that known homeschoolers using a known-inferior curriculum, are having "a lesson from a teacher" when they see something like this, instead of "oh, this is just kids playing around". 

• Love 4

Jessa captioned that video with, "One of his cousins must have been giving him lessons. :) " which makes it clear to me that this wasn't a real homeschool session and the smiley face implies fun. It's an established fact that their education is shit and will continue to be as long as they (specifically fundies, not general) homeschool, I just really don't see anything at all wrong with that video. That was nowhere near "PER-PEN-DIC-U-LAR!" territory--quite the opposite. 

I'm mostly one for, "if you can't take the heat, get out of the social media kitchen," but stuff like this makes me think that a lot of these social media dumbasses are right for dismissing critics entirely. When people complain about the most innocent things, there's little incentive to listen to them at all. 

• Love 17

That to me just says "his cousins must have been giving him lessons... [somewhere along the line, in order to get these results]".  It doesn't say anything to me about "how said results physically got up on the wall", but maybe that's my failure of imagination.  

1 hour ago, lascuba said:

'm mostly one for, "if you can't take the heat, get out of the social media kitchen," but stuff like this makes me think that a lot of these social media dumbasses are right for dismissing critics entirely. When people complain about the most innocent things, there's little incentive to listen to them at all. 

I would get tired of some of those remarks if I were Jessa, too. Some people are downright ugly to her. Now I say things in snark that I wouldn’t post on her page or to her face.

If I were on Instagram, I might have posted this in response to her diaper pile. “Jessa, you seem by all accounts to be a caring and engaged mother. Your  children are beautiful, and always look clean, well fed, and happy.  You’re obviously doing a lot of things right.  I get that our houses aren’t always Pintrest perfect, mine certainly isn’t. That façade is exhausting to maintain. You were trying to tell us that this is what happens when a few days of cleaning don’t get done in favor of other priorities. But, that icky pile of diapers on the nightstand is really unsanitary and really icky.  Sorry to sound like I’m being unkind, but I don’t think your fans have stomachs that strong. Please, more pictures of your boys. They’re delightful.”

I would hope she wouldn’t smite me over that, but there are certain people who are so thin skinned, that they block anyone on their Twitter feed who is not heaping praise upon them every time they poop in the toilet.

• Love 24

We complain and snark here about how out of touch they are, and when  they try to be relevant, they mess it up because they have been so sheltered.  Then they get criticized for it, but honestly, I think they truly don’t know any better.  They were raised in ignorance and arrogance and told all their lives that they were the bestest most Jesusy family evah!

They were all unprepared for the rude awakening that awaited them. Baby steps.  I SMH regularly when I see their posts, though.

• Love 16
1 hour ago, queenanne said:

Yeah, but we are talking about known homeschoolers, who have been ejected from the known homeschool dumb as posts.  Maybe a stranger posts it, and/but we have good reasons to believe that they are "just playing around" and will eventually be corrected in a school.  

I don't consider it out of the ordinary that many people would assume that known homeschoolers using a known-inferior curriculum, are having "a lesson from a teacher" when they see something like this, instead of "oh, this is just kids playing around". 

Yeah, I think everything we see with the Duggars takes on a somewhat nefarious meaning just because we know so much of their history. If one of our friends posted a pic like that we'd laugh it off, because we know they're invested in their child's education and  spelling goofs are just a part of the learning process that will eventually get straightened out. However with this family, we know the learning process is dismal at best and Michael's spelling at 16 probably won't be that much different than it is now, so we judge. Not saying it's right or wrong, but history has a way of repeating itself. 

• Love 17
2 minutes ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

We complain and snark here about how out of touch they are, and when  they try to be relevant, they mess it up because they have been so sheltered.  Then they get criticized for it, but honestly, I think they truly don’t know any better.  They were raised in ignorance and arrogance and told all their lives that they were the bestest most Jesusy family evah!

I see your point of view. In a way I feel sorry for her, but at other times I want to slap the crap out of her. The ones I feel bad for the most are the grandchildren. I keep wishing one of the Duggar kids will tell JB and Michelle to go take a flying leap at a rolling donut.

10 minutes ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

They were all unprepared for the rude awakening that awaited them. Baby steps.  I SMH regularly when I see their posts, though.

Meh, they specifically promote homeschooling and traditional wifey roles, so when they get a little criticism it's no big deal imo. The Duggs have been public figures for a LONG time and they must have developed some inner defenses against critics, if not, it's time for them to shut it down. 

• Love 9

I just find is so amusing that Jessa didn't realize people would snark hard on the "shaps" lesson. 

The actual lesson, or whatever, who cares?  Spurgeon looks sharp and he is a cutie!  

Jessa is not aware of how her family gets mocked and goofed on?  That's my fascination with this post and the diaper post.  Wouldn't you think that Jessa realizes the Duggar name has been dragged through the mud since Josh and try to shine up the image?  She has no clue?  

Or as Churchie suggested, she is just arrogant, ignorant and isolated.  

Sometimes i feel sorry for her and sometimes not.  

• Love 9
22 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

I see your point of view. In a way I feel sorry for her, but at other times I want to slap the crap out of her. The ones I feel bad for the most are the grandchildren. I keep wishing one of the Duggar kids will tell JB and Michelle to go take a flying leap at a rolling donut.

Yes,  me too. 

4 minutes ago, sometimesy said:

Meh, they specifically promote homeschooling and traditional wifey roles, so when they get a little criticism it's no big deal imo. The Duggs have been public figures for a LONG time and they must have developed some inner defenses against critics, if not, it's time for them to shut it down. 

One can still have these beliefs and not wallow in ignorance.  People who choose to homeschool their kids for religious reasons are morally obliged to provide a decent education for their kids so they can be successful. Denying your children a proper education because then they’ll be smarter than you is ethically and morally wrong. Looking at you, Boob

• Love 17
13 minutes ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

Yes,  me too. 

One can still have these beliefs and not wallow in ignorance.  People who choose to homeschool their kids for religious reasons are morally obliged to provide a decent education for their kids so they can be successful. Denying your children a proper education because then they’ll be smarter than you is ethically and morally wrong. Looking at you, Boob

I homeschooled my oldest two into college and currently homeschool my younger children.   

I'm truly hoping Jessa gets on some homeschool FB pages and realizes that her own education was lacking.

I am on all sorts of homeschool pages and the IBLP Wisdom booklets get goofed on pretty heavily, even by the hard core religious.   Never ever seen them recommended anywhere. 

I have the feeling that Ben's education was better than Jessa's.  Hoping Ben can make a few suggestions or that they can figure out a good curriculum for Spurgie.  Too bad the Seewalds don't go to their state homeschool convention and not just Big Sandy. Go and hear other speakers, look at books, meet people and open their minds a bit. 

Edited by Marigold
  • Love 16
1 hour ago, cmr2014 said:

For me, the issue is that this is taking something that is NOT okay -- illiterate idiots "homeschooling" children with a moronic, counter-factual curriculum -- and putting a normalizing face on it -- cute kid playing "school" with his cousins because his parents are so involved and committed to education.

This is the Duggars whole schtick-- they've taken the Taliban-lite world of Gothard and populated it in people's minds with cute kids and smiling faces. None of this is normal or healthy and it's not cute.

The reality is that Spurgeon will know no more about "shaps" in 15 years, than he does now. He will, however, "know" that humans rode dinosaurs and the founding fathers intended the US to be a Christian theocracy. He will also "know" that men are fundamentally better and more important than women, and that all people outside of his cult are dangerous extremists to be avoided at all costs.

Derick and Jeremy graduated from real, accredited universities and believe the same things. This is a conservative Christian problem that transcends education levels and I think society would be a  much better place if people consistently kept that in mind about those who identify as such. 

Edited by lascuba
  • Love 16

The misspelling is developmentally appropriate for a 6 year old. The words are spelled phonetically, and that's fine. It's the mislabeling that bugs me. It's Jessa saying he named the shapes correctly. Spurgeon isn't reading the words. He's naming the shapes. 

• Love 4

None of it bugs me. He is a little toddler playing school with his very young cousin. All of it fun and appropriate for his age. I’m actually kind of impressed with his memorization skills. We are probably snarking about it because, sadly, we know that an actual age appropriate education is very unlikely to happen for him in the coming years. 

• Love 22

If you noticed, Anna replied back to the Shaps Lesson Video that she "needs to work on spelling" with her kids.

Two days later, she filmed Michael doing some homeschooling.  Certainly not a coincidence. Maybe Anna was embarrassed by Jessa's post? If so, that's not very nice of Jessa to not consider that Anna might not want Michael's work to be publicly displayed like that. 

Anyway, since we were talking about Benessa and Homeschooling, I am pleased to report that Michael is NOT using those Wisdumb booklets or the dreaded computer schooling (Switched on Schoolhouse) . She also did not buy a "boxed curriculum". She chose different materials from different companies which tells me she is putting thought into their education.  

Anna is using a quality handwriting program and is using Math-U-See, which is a solid math curriculum.   This is good news for the grandkids. Hopefully Jessa will get some advice from Anna and use quality curriculum. 

I realize this is about Anna but it kinda flowed with our conversation  here regarding homeschooling the Seewald kids & what curriculum Jessa has been exposed to besides the crap her parents used.  

Edited by Marigold
  • Love 22
1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

The blonde kid doing the shape exercise is Marcus, not Michael. Even more of a FU INTERNETZ!!!!!111 moment given that Marcus is four.

Hahahaha!

you are right! I was looking at the books and not the kid!!!!!!!!!  

(I'm like Jeremy, I like big books)

Well, whatever kid was doing what, I'm glad to see that someone is using some reputable materials!  

Aaaand, we know that Anna reads social media comments and will adjust her behavior to give a particular image! 

• Love 13
On 1/28/2018 at 9:22 AM, Fostersmom said:

Seeing as my sister had to give my 15 year old nephew a cheat sheet on how to sign his NAME last week to sign his temps (his school district no longer teaches cursive) and while she did try to teach him a few years ago, it didn't take, I'm not going to question the shapes, spellings, or handwriting of a 6 or even 8 year old at this point. 

A couple of years ago we ran out of card stock for ID's on campus and we had Orientation starting and the new freshman were coming to get cards.  We decided to mail them out but wanted the kids to self address an envelope.  I'd say well over 1/2 HAD TO BE SHOWN HOW!  When that was too challenging for some, we had several samples for them to copy.  We STILL ended up having to rewrite many of them.  I seriously do not understand how one makes it to 17-18 and does not know how to address an envelope.  There is NO excuse.  It took all I had in me to not be a smartass about it.  I don't know who failed at this lesson.  The schools or the parents.  Seriously.  These are normal life skills.

• Love 19
On 1/28/2018 at 12:19 PM, monkeypox said:

Nine-year-old Kenzie should sure as heck know how many sides a hexagon has and how to spell "square." Maybe 6-year-old Michael made all the errors and Kenzie is being taught never to correct boys because they are her superior? Aren't kids typically taught shapes in preschool? It's a crime those kids are not being educated. They will grow up to be dumb-as-posts, just like their parents.

Not to nitpick, but she turned eight in October. Kids change and learn a lot in a year. 

• Love 3
58 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

A couple of years ago we ran out of card stock for ID's on campus and we had Orientation starting and the new freshman were coming to get cards.  We decided to mail them out but wanted the kids to self address an envelope.  I'd say well over 1/2 HAD TO BE SHOWN HOW!  When that was too challenging for some, we had several samples for them to copy.  We STILL ended up having to rewrite many of them.  I seriously do not understand how one makes it to 17-18 and does not know how to address an envelope.  There is NO excuse.  It took all I had in me to not be a smartass about it.  I don't know who failed at this lesson.  The schools or the parents.  Seriously.  These are normal life skills.

I'd bet my next pay check my nephew has absolutely NO idea on how to address an envelope. I remember learning how to address them as a kid in school, wrote letters even when I was in college in 1995, but now? I completely doubt it. 

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, Fostersmom said:

I'd bet my next pay check my nephew has absolutely NO idea on how to address an envelope. I remember learning how to address them as a kid in school, wrote letters even when I was in college in 1995, but now? I completely doubt it. 

I guess people don't really write letters these days but I hope this skill is picked up.  There ARE times when its needed.   Maybe it needs to be part of Adulting 101.  I can't be the only one that does handwritten thank you notes!  There were a handful of freshman who were incredulous that others didn't know how since they were taught in school.  Not having kids it seemed strange.  Our post office in the building also has a sample to show kids because I guess its been a problem for them too.  

• Love 5
42 minutes ago, Natalie68 said:

I guess people don't really write letters these days but I hope this skill is picked up.  There ARE times when its needed.   Maybe it needs to be part of Adulting 101.  I can't be the only one that does handwritten thank you notes!  There were a handful of freshman who were incredulous that others didn't know how since they were taught in school.  Not having kids it seemed strange.  Our post office in the building also has a sample to show kids because I guess its been a problem for them too.  

I write them too, @Natalie68 - but I am old. I can even write cursive. I wonder if the duggars homeschooling includes cursive because it is supposed to help with brain development. Did I miss a conversation about cursive?  It's late. And I am old. 

• Love 6
Just now, lookeyloo said:

I write them too, @Natalie68 - but I am old. I can even write cursive. I wonder if the duggars homeschooling includes cursive because it is supposed to help with brain development. Did I miss a conversation about cursive?  It's late. And I am old. 

WOOHOO!!!  I do cursive as well!  I don't want this to be a lost thing.  Yeah as a kid I always grumbled about thank you notes but if someone takes the time to get you something, you thank them!  I have turned into my mother. 

• Love 6
Just now, Natalie68 said:

WOOHOO!!!  I do cursive as well!  I don't want this to be a lost thing.  Yeah as a kid I always grumbled about thank you notes but if someone takes the time to get you something, you thank them!  I have turned into my mother. 

Totally agree!! Except my mother didn't require that. It was something I figured out as a young adult. 

• Love 2

Henry is adorable and the grunts made me smile. I wonder if #bestfatherandhusbandever did not answer Jessa because he was absorbed with the Bible studies game heard in the background.

• Love 15

someone posted elsewhere (barb23 maybe??) that jessa was pregnant. then someone else popped in to say it was not for sure yet. today i was watching videos and other links (mostly just gossipy stuff). a couple of them did say that jessa was pregnant with her 3rd child.  i still haven't seen an official announcement.   

there was also much to imply that joy had given birth and is staying out of sight until it is the right 'date'...

Edited by zoomama
  • Love 7
8 hours ago, zoomama said:

someone posted elsewhere (barb23 maybe??) that jessa was pregnant. then someone else popped in to say it was not for sure yet. today i was watching videos and other links (mostly just gossipy stuff). a couple of them did say that jessa was pregnant with her 3rd child.  i still haven't seen an official announcement.   

there was also much to imply that joy had given birth and is staying out of sight until it is the right 'date'...

Too funny. And she can show newborn pictures when the kid is 3 months old but sooner or later that will catch up with her. Look at the 2 month old baby! He is sitting up!!

• Love 9
13 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

Same thing when i worked at an Ob/gyn.  Some of the teens & 20 somethings had no idea how to address their reminder card for the next year.  And yes, some of the card had to be redone.

• Love 6
16 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

I had to do the same for my niece when she was a senior in high school. At 17, she didn't know how to address an envelope, sign her name or tell time off an analog clock, and this is a girl who grew up in a wealthy suburb with one of the best school systems in the state. I can't believe the amount of basic skills that just aren't being taught anymore. It's frightening.

• Love 18
15 hours ago, Rabbittron said:

I'm  only 34 but the other day I tore up the house looking for my cellphone while I was talking on it.

I have lost my mind searching for a baby that I was holding in my arms.

• Love 15
5 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I had to do the same for my niece when she was a senior in high school. At 17, she didn't know how to address an envelope, sign her name or tell time off an analog clock, and this is a girl who grew up in a wealthy suburb with one of the best school systems in the state. I can't believe the amount of basic skills that just aren't being taught anymore. It's frightening.

I'm a teacher and basically none of my middle school students can read an analog clock. They'll constantly ask when class ends, and I'll say, "12:40." Then they'll ask, "how long is that?" and another will pipe up, "we leave when it's on the 8!" ??‍♀️

• Love 15