Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 33 (2016-2017)

Athena
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Yay!  No more Chantelle!  Too bad the new champ is kind of dull, though.  (Yeah, I know, I'm never happy.)

Why couldn't that have been my FJ?  I would've bet it all on that category, and damn it, I would've been right.  Edward I falls right in my area of expertise; I could've filled my interview segment for a week with interesting facts about Longshanks, the Hammer of the Scots.

21 hours ago, DXD526 said:

"High Fidelity" is still one of my favorite EC songs.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the song.  It just isn't in my Top 5.  Top 20, probably.

Edited by proserpina65
because "couldn't" and "could've" mean very different things
  • Love 2
20 hours ago, Trey said:

When my son was learning to play guitar he went through a spell when Tom Sawyer was the only song he played - over and over and over - so I should have got that one but didn't because I wasn't quite understanding the clues in that Song:Book category - or possibly my brain just wasn't working fast enough.

I was surprised that none of the contestants got that one.  I think you suppressed the song, as Pallida suggested. :-)

14 hours ago, mojoween said:

I know zilch about English history, was Edward enough of an answer for FJ?

Yes, because the "the First" was in the clue.

• Love 2

So once the first person said "Bob Woolery", with an incorrect first name, would an answer of just "Woolery" been accepted from a second contestant?  There was nothing about the clue that seemed to require a first name (i.e., I believe Woolery alone would have been accepted by an initial contestant), but I know their judging rules don't always make sense to us mere mortals.

• Love 4

I think that if the first contestant had just said "Woolery", that would have been acceptable, but once the first contestant gave him a first name, I think everyone else now needs to give a first name, instead of just the last name.

• Love 6

Good Lord Wednesday's game was a snooze fest! It was weird that Chantelle took her glasses off during the introductions; I think they look lovely on her. Is Alex just getting forgetful, or has he had so many cool life experiences that he had to get confirmation from Bala that he appeared on "The Golden Girls"? 

TS I got were Tallinn, Whitney Houston, Chuck Woolery. No clue for FJ. I normally associate Richard III with legal changes in England, but clearly III is not I, and I figured they were looking for someone much earlier in history. But once Richard was in my head, no other name could come in. Not that I would have gotten it, I'm sure. 

17 hours ago, DrScottie said:

Right. That's a $200 or $400 clue at best given they said it started with C.  

During Kids' Week! 

14 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I wonder if the original "Vanna," Susan Stafford, will ever be a Jeopardy clue.

Circa 1995, I won a Chili's gift card by answering a radio trivia question "who replaced Susan Stafford?" correctly. 

12 hours ago, teebax said:

Basketball cost me my episode of jeopardy tonight, so I'm a little ticked off at it, even though I did watch the game.

Which ironically featured a basketball category ;-)

9 hours ago, Pallida said:

I was rooting for Phyllis simply because Alex's dismissiveness towards her archaeology experience. 

IKR! I get that she didn't exactly answer the question he asked, but damn! 

3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Yay!  No more Chantelle!  Too bad the new champ is kind of dull, though.  (Yeah, I know, I'm never happy.)

I like Chantelle, but I can always find something to nit pick about any given contestant. And yes, new champ is dull, and I want is name to be Harold Kumar. 

27 minutes ago, illdoc said:

once the first contestant gave him a first name, I think everyone else now needs to give a first name, instead of just the last name.

Makes sense. 

• Love 2

So my curiosity got the better of me, and I used the "Contact us" link on the Jeopardy! website to email and ask about Eugene Woolery:

Hello.  I had a rules question about the 7 June game.  For the clue for which the response was Chuck Woolery, I'm assuming that if the first contestant had just replied "Who is Woolery?", that would have been fine.  Once a contestant had given an incorrect first name, however, could a second contestant have replied with just the last name?  Or does introducing an incorrect first name make the correct one required for everyone else?

Thank you!

I actually got a response, fairly quickly too.

Hi Scott,

It would depend on the name. If a first name is required, Alex would let them know to be "more specific." In this case if the first contestant had responded "Who is Frank Woolery?" and been judged incorrect, the next contestant could ring in with "Who is Woolery?" and get the dough.

Best,

The Jeopardy! Team

I suppose that's as close to an official ruling as we'll ever get.

• Love 12

I can honestly say I've never heard of Wallenberg, and no idea for FJ, but I most assuredly would not have guessed Schindler.  Or Turing, for that matter.

I did get several of the many TS, though, some of which surprised me as TS.  I got Civilian Conservation Corps, Dunkirk, Madagascar (it was a guess, I admit), Elmore Leonard, Silence, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (I have their forecast website bookmarked), and Hyde Park.

• Love 1

Darn.  I wish Sarah had been bold with her FJ wager.  Bala acts so bored, I don't know why he bothers to show up.  Scott was cute.

I got spruce, Elmor Leonard, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (I use their website and app all the time.  Plus, the right up the road in Boulder.), Amy Grant, and Hyde Park (Picadilly Square?  That's not a park.)

I was totally clueless on FJ, but I know Schindler didn't disappear.

• Love 2

This is my first time seeing Bala. He doesn't bother me at all.

I got: stick,  Civilian Conservation Corps, Madagascar,  spruce (although prune made me laugh,) Elmore Leonard, Balboa Park (which I was surprised they didn't get,) and Amy Grant, who doesn't look like Faith Hill or Shania Twain to me.

Some wild guessing made for a bad viewing experience for me. I didn't get Wallenberg but am looking forward to reading about him.

• Love 1

There's a street in a nearby town next to the Jewish Center, called Raoul Wallenberg Avenue. I pass it all the time.  Could I remember his name?  Of course not, the closest I got was "Allenberg".  Sigh.

• Love 3
On 6/7/2017 at 11:04 AM, Scott said:

Yes, I realize that.  

Sorry. I guess I didn't understand your post.

1 hour ago, teebax said:

I got... and Amy Grant, who doesn't look like Faith Hill or Shania Twain to me.

She hardly looked like Amy Grant, but I got it right anyway.

From Wednesday's show: It was funny when Shaquille O'Neal's shoe came up because I had just read an article from 1997 where Trump showed the reporter a shoe Shaq had given him.

I only TSs I got were Chuck Woolery and You Got to Pick a Pocket or Two.

My WAG for FJ was Richard I.

From tonight's show: I got Dunkirk, Leonard (though I couldn't think of Elmore), Silence, Amy Grant, The Path, and Hyde Park. For NOAA, I mistakenly said Oceanographic instead of Oceanic.

I did not have any idea for FJ. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, teebax said:

I got: stick,  Civilian Conservation Corps, Madagascar,  spruce (although prune made me laugh,) Elmore Leonard, Balboa Park (which I was surprised they didn't get,) and Amy Grant, who doesn't look like Faith Hill or Shania Twain to me.

The Shania Twain GG killed me. I had no idea who Amy Grant was - I tend to avoid religious TV/books/music like the plague - but where did Shania Twain come from?! The only possible way to connect her to the clue is via shared gender and (sort of) hair colour!

• Love 2
52 minutes ago, secnarf said:

The Shania Twain GG killed me. I had no idea who Amy Grant was - I tend to avoid religious TV/books/music like the plague - but where did Shania Twain come from?! The only possible way to connect her to the clue is via shared gender and (sort of) hair colour!

Amy Grant had a few hits in the early 90s on the pop charts, one of which was "House Of Love" a duet with her future husband Vince Gill. 

I knew Scott's answer of National Park Services would be called incorrect. Yet again, Alex is slipping.

4 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Darn.  I wish Sarah had been bold with her FJ wager.  Bala acts so bored, I don't know why he bothers to show up.  

Bala does seem like he took a tranquilizer before going on.

Nevermind bold, I just don't see how her bet would help her. Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory happens fairly often and it shouldn't. The correct bet was at least $5001 to win if Bala doesn't bet anything or $3000 to win if you think he's betting against you going all in and gets it wrong (which he did).  Either way, Sarah answers right, Bala answers wrong, Sarah should have won. 

• Love 6

Add me to those irked by Bala. He knows a lot but seems so glum and apathetic when he plays--ironic, because he's a pretty good storyteller in his interviews. I was pleased when Sarah got FJ and he didn't, until I saw his wager. I got FJ primarily because of a memory of a stamp a few years ago. Picture here. Turing and Schindler weren't awful guesses; they were both WW2 heroes. 

I also knew CCC, spruce, Elmore Leonard, and Amy Grant; and guessed Balboa Park, silence, and Hyde Park. 

I thought the Language Spoken category was tough! I thought I was pretty well informed about languages, but I had never heard of many of the languages mentioned last night.

• Love 2

Given my recent binge watching to catch up from a week on vacation, I am getting the recent episodes mixed up, so I can't say specifics.

However I am continually baffled by smart people who can make it on this show and know so much about so many things cannot do basic math to figure how to effectively maximize their potential to win in FJ.

I had never heard of Wallenberg

• Love 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I got FJ primarily because of a memory of a stamp a few years ago. Picture here. Turing and Schindler weren't awful guesses; they were both WW2 heroes.

Neither was Swedish, for one!

Turing is well-known for the events leading to his (debatable) suicide by cyanide. If you know enough about Turing to know his role in WWII, his persecution for being gay and subsequent death go part and parcel with that.

Edited by secnarf
  • Love 2
(edited)
10 hours ago, DrScottie said:

Amy Grant had a few hits in the early 90s on the pop charts, one of which was "House Of Love" a duet with her future husband Vince Gill.

I remember the furor amongst her fans when their relationship became public because they were both married to other people at the time. 

I got FJ instantly - my mother said Schindler.

I got Dunkirk, Silence, CCC, Elmore Leonard and Balboa Park (a total guess about which Spanish explorer made it to the Pacific coast), despite not being old enough to remember half of them.  I almost said Madagascar then didn't because I thought it was a trick question.  I picked Kensington Gardens instead of Hyde Park for the Princess Diana question; guess I was confusing the Peter Pan statue with the goddess Diana one.  For the NOAA clue, I knew the National, Atmospheric, and Administration, but couldn't remember Oceanic.

7 hours ago, tvaddict44 said:

Nobody commenting on Bala's story of catching on fire?  I was not doing something stupid like firing up a melon when it happened to me, but he did react better. I ran - the worst thing you can do.  All I was trying to do was get warm in my grandparent's drafty, cold house....

My mother was talking during the interviews, so I didn't hear it.  Glad you survived your brush with fire.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 1

There's a street in a nearby town next to the Jewish Center, called Raoul Wallenberg Avenue.

The street where the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum is located in Washington DC was renamed Raoul Wallenberg Pl.   

Its interesting - I thought it was an easy FJ but I wonder if he's someone that Jewish people know more than non Jews. 

• Love 3

I knew Wallenberg for various reasons, one of which is that he was a University of Michigan alum, plus I remember a TV movie about him that starred Richard Chamberlain. 

Couldn't believe none of them knew Elmore Leonard, or the CCC, or took a shot at Hyde Park (what is the most famous park in London?) 

Bad wager, Sara. 

• Love 3

I did not watch last night's show but I can say I had never heard of that gentleman until reading his name in this here forum.

However, I will remedy that post-haste.

• Love 3
(edited)

Bala makes Eeyore look like the life of the party (cue Alex's bad Eeyore imitation). He annoys me, so I predict a long run as champion. I liked Scott & Sara. Boo hiss to Sara's FJ wager.

TS I got were: stick, Madagascar (guess), Nat'l Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration, Amy Grant, & Hyde Park. I got FJ because I recently watched a show that featured a segment about Wallenberg - I think it was "Mysteries at the Museum". 

17 hours ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

Hyde Park (Picadilly Square?  That's not a park.)

Alex, is that you??? ;-p

15 hours ago, peeayebee said:

She hardly looked like Amy Grant, but I got it right anyway.

She looks different without the trademark curls that she sported during her mainstream fame in the early-mid 90s.

9 hours ago, tvaddict44 said:

Nobody commenting on Bala's story of catching on fire?  I was not doing something stupid like firing up a melon when it happened to me, but he did react better. I ran - the worst thing you can do.  All I was trying to do was get warm in my grandparent's drafty, cold house....

I said a prayer that 15-year old MiniToothbrush does not do such stupid things when he goes to college. Bala mentioned an audience, so I do not know if this was a part of some show, or if his "audience" was made up of fellow 18-year old numbskulls. Being that he is charisma-free, I can't imagine him as a performer. He seems so uncomfortable as a J! contestant. Hope you were OK!

1 hour ago, M. Darcy said:

Its interesting - I thought it was an easy FJ but I wonder if he's someone that Jewish people know more than non Jews. 

Possibly. I am Catholic & only recently learned about him from a TV show. 

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Love 1

I've known about Raoul Wallenberg for a long time but he did not come to mind last night.  I said Schindler, even knowing he wasn't Swedish or hadn't disappeared. I couldn't think of any other individual hero from WWII (I'm sure there were thousands upon thousands that we haven't heard of) although JFK came to mind because of that song about him. And I also thought of Red Cross or Salvation Army.

Bala seems very relaxed and calm - but if he gets any more calm he will slip into a Perry Coma. That weak Perry Como joke might be before your time:).

My ts's were stick and Dunkirk and DS beat me to Madagascar.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Trey said:

Bala seems very relaxed and calm - but if he gets any more calm he will slip into a Perry Coma. That weak Perry Como joke might be before your time:).

:D I don't think it's before my time, but I'm not sure I remember that particular joke. Because of my old brain. However, I do remember a bit (from SCTV?) where someone doing an impression of Como is sitting on a stool, singing in that relaxed way, and slowly falling off the stool as he lulls himself to sleep.

As for Wallenberg, I've heard of him, but, again... old brain.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, peeayebee said:

However, I do remember a bit (from SCTV?) where someone doing an impression of Como is sitting on a stool, singing in that relaxed way, and slowly falling off the stool as he lulls himself to sleep.

Mr Relaxation: 

• Love 6

FJ was an instant get: Mars = Ares, Rival=against=anti   Anti-Ares=Antares. Or maybe it's just that I watch a lot of Star Trek, so "Antares" is readily available in my mind.

• Love 9

I had to think a bit about FJ, but I think I got it in time to write it down.

I also got lye, handshake and tadpole.

But what I really want to know, is what is up with the letter sweater, new champ?

• Love 6
(edited)
1 hour ago, illdoc said:

FJ was an instant get: Mars = Ares, Rival=against=anti   Anti-Ares=Antares. Or maybe it's just that I watch a lot of Star Trek, so "Antares" is readily available in my mind.

As soon as I realized Mars = Ares, I got it too. I also watch a lot of Star Trek. 

5 hours ago, Trey said:

I knew the Perry Coma joke from Animaniacs

42 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

But what I really want to know, is what is up with the letter sweater, new champ?

From the article on him: Dunn wore his grandfather's Iowa State letter sweater from the 1940s.

Edited by DrScottie
  • Love 5

Yay, Tucker!  Congrats!  Don't let the door hit your nearly comatose, bored butt on the way out, Bala.  I was rooting for Johanna just because of that nasty crack the ever tactless Alex made about the look on her face.

I got lye, handshake, Nelson's Column (not Tower, Alex, you tool), inversion therapy, and tadpole (missed DD).

I was beyond clueless for FJ.  Add constellations to my list of 486 things I need to study.

• Love 10

I thought FJ should have been SO easy for the contestants, or at least guess something ending in -ares. They should know the Roman equivalent of Mars is Ares. Then even if they don't know any stars, at least guess Un-ares, Dis-ares, Anti-ares or something!

I kept forgetting the category for IT, and just guessing the "T" word (eg tube). Get it together, me!

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I knew CCC because my father was a participant. From Philadelphia, they sent him to Arizona. Go figure.

My dad, too!  Wasn't sent across the country, though...just from Detroit to northern Michigan, which was Heaven for him. In fact, his ashes were scattered up there.

• Love 4

I am a day behind because of basketball, I only got Wallenberg because there is a high school in SF that is popular with skateboarders so my boyfriend has made me watch several clips of stunts done there.

• Love 1
(edited)

I like the new champ, and love the background of the letter sweater he wore. But I am surprised that he did not get Yemen in the My Elements category since ME Geography is one of his dream categories. I also hated Alex's comment to Johanna about her facial expression. She was probably nervous, or maybe just has a slight RBF. Notice he didn't say anything to Bala about his complete lack of personality. Although I did think I saw a little spark from him early in the game, but he was 3/4 of the way to a coma by DJ.

Only TS I got was Medea. Once I saw the FJ subject I didn't even try, but it was an instaget for Dr. Toothbrush. Even if I had thought about it, I don't think I would have gotten it. 

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Love 3

Referring back to the Louis Vuitton answer a few games ago, another piece of trivia I never knew until this morning is that the French Open trophy is delivered courtside in an LV trunk! But of course I'm sure Alex knows this already! 

• Love 2

The new champ's episode didn't air here in Tucson due to the NBA playoffs. It was scheduled to air instead at 9 pmk but they showed stupid Kimmel instead. I am so irritated. A local guy wins and the local affiliate doesn't air it. As a U of A college of humanities alum, I'm hoping baseketball is finished soon.

• Love 1
On 6/9/2017 at 4:19 PM, illdoc said:

I should have figured that out, but honestly I didn't understand the wording of the question. THE BRIGHTEST STAR IN SCORPIUS IS NAMED THIS, MEANING "RIVAL" OF THE GOD EQUIVALENT TO MARS. What confused me was that Mars was a god, so what's with there being a god equivalent? I know that Mars and Ares are the same, but I just got bogged down in my confusion. Anyway, I took a stab with Arcturus. I have no idea if that's even a star. Maybe somewhere in the back of my mind I knew it was Antares but got it mixed up with another A word.

For TSs I got lye and handshake. I was thinking tadpole but said guppy just like Bala did.

I thought Johanna said Mt St Helen instead of Helens.

Roaster, the SCTV video you posted was great, but I'm kind of remembering another skit to do with Como's super-relaxed singing. Maybe it wasn't from SCTV.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, peeayebee said:

Dr. Toothbrush & I heard the same, and when it wasn't corrected, we figured that we had been wrong for the past 30+ years. Silly us, trusting the Jeopardy judges to catch a wrong response! 

• Love 3
17 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I should have figured that out, but honestly I didn't understand the wording of the question. THE BRIGHTEST STAR IN SCORPIUS IS NAMED THIS, MEANING "RIVAL" OF THE GOD EQUIVALENT TO MARS. What confused me was that Mars was a god, so what's with there being a god equivalent? I know that Mars and Ares are the same, but I just got bogged down in my confusion. Anyway, I took a stab with Arcturus. I have no idea if that's even a star. Maybe somewhere in the back of my mind I knew it was Antares but got it mixed up with another A word.

For TSs I got lye and handshake. I was thinking tadpole but said guppy just like Bala did.

Roaster, the SCTV video you posted was great, but I'm kind of remembering another skit to do with Como's super-relaxed singing. Maybe it wasn't from SCTV.

Yes I was confused about the question as well.  I was thinking something like a star that means peace to "rival" war or the opposite of war. 

But I had no idea, I wasn't getting that question anyway. 

• Love 2