Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 33 (2016-2017)

Athena
  • Start Topic

(edited)
On 3/7/2017 at 0:07 PM, tvaddict44 said:

I only knew the FJ because recently on Millionaire there was a cute question about which two cities have postal employee meet at the city line to exchange mail that was sent to the other city because the spelling was so close...

Just saw that Millionaire episode today! What two countries (not sharing a border) meet once a month to exchange mail? Answer: Slovenia & Slovekia!!!  And, after the Twelfth night answer, my mother said "I never knew that Jan 6 was twelfth night, until I saw an episode of Gunsmoke yesterday, where they celebrated twelfth night on Jan 6". Who says TV isn't educational? :)

Edited by illdoc
  • Love 3
20 hours ago, Driad said:

AIUI, Alex should not have accepted Wellesley for Wesley.

Yes, that one bothered me and also the acceptance of Mexico when the answer should have been Mexican.  Each answer in the category was supposed to be a demonym.

• Love 3
21 hours ago, mojoween said:

I was listening to most of the show so imagine my surprise when I saw a pic of the go-go dancer on Twitter.  John Paul is not what I was expecting!  Not in a bad way, of course.  He was a cutie.

I don't believe you. I'll have to see some evidence.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

I've never been on the show, but I'm fairly certain contestants choose how they identify themselves.

I haven't either, so I also don't know.  I guess it depressed me.  I tend to prefer the comforting fiction that everyone has a terrific job they love.

Now I need to delve into something that's been mystifying me for decades:  What's the difference between being "from Topeka, Kansas" and being "originally from Topeka, Kansas"?  I've always suspected it's a way of disguising how many contestants are from Southern California.  Or is this another thing the contestants choose themselves?

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, Mondrianyone said:

Now I need to delve into something that's been mystifying me for decades:  What's the difference between being "from Topeka, Kansas" and being "originally from Topeka, Kansas"?  I've always suspected it's a way of disguising how many contestants are from Southern California.  Or is this another thing the contestants choose themselves?

I suppose I'd rather be introduced as "originally from Wisconsin," since I identify as a Wisconsin girl more than where I am currently living due to circumstance (which, ugh, ain't no Wisconsin, that's for sure). But I wouldn't be able to say "I'm from Wisconsin" honestly today, if I went on Jeopardy, since I don't live there anymore.

• Love 2

Yes, I remember thinking about that distinction watching game shows decades ago.  And I figured it was because most of the contestants were from greater Los Angeles that it made it all look more like a nationwide enterprise if they said where the contestants had moved from. 

That was back when you had to go to the studio to audition for J! (and other game shows were/are taped in Los Angeles).  Nowadays J! takes applications nationwide through an internet test and regional auditions, so they are probably getting a better geographic distribution.  Other game shows are less picky in who they let on, so it's more likely that somebody visiting LA on vacation can get on.  (And Family Feud is now produced in Atlanta, I think.)

• Love 2

I also had an 'April Fools?' moment after Annie & John Paul were introduced. My next thought was that the contestant interviews had the potential to be the best ever!

I didn't make the Beatles connection with John Paul; I thought of the popes..lol

Twelfth Night was easy for me. Growing up in New Orleans, it is when Christmas ends & Mardi Gras begins. 

Annie's dream degree, as interesting as it sounds, seems more like a hobby to me. What do you do with it? Demographic statistics? Work in a genealogical library or for a genealogical service? Hire yourself out to assist people working on their family histories? I like her, but was disappointed & surprised that Todd was a one & done. 

• Love 1

Yes, where the Pope lives is the Vatican, but the name of the country is "Vatican City", which is what they asked for in the clue, so the champ should have been ruled incorrect. Saudi Arabia was such a bad guess! I thought FJ was an instaget (and I answered "Vatican City").

• Love 10

Yes, easy FJ.  I answered Vatican City, too, and while the Vatican may be technically inaccurate, it's the kind of thing they usually allow.  Rachel was a very good player but must have had a brain fart when she wrote Saudi Arabia.

• Love 2

I didn't get Vatican City immediately - I tried to think of some country with a tiny population, but it came to me in plenty of time if I had to write it down.  And I'm not wild that they accepted "The Vatican" rather than Vatican City.

• Love 5
23 minutes ago, Pickles said:

That woman in the middle (Rachel?) looked like such a sad sack at the end. Good grief. Not a good loser, I guess.

I wasn't looking at the TV at the end, but my husband cracked me up with the face he made to try to imitate her.

Saudi Arabia may be the worst wrong answer I have seen in a long long time.

• Love 5

I can't tell y'all how happy I was when Rachel lost.  Her demeanor (and of course not starting at the tops of the categories) bugged me to no end.  Also, Saudi Arabia?  Really? 

But, Annie, Annie, Annie -- not knowing Washington Post?  Sad!  I also got terminator line, and, thanks to Hidden Figures, the Mercury patch.

• Love 7

I think Tuvalu was a pretty bad guess too, although at least it is one of the smallest countries in the world. Saudi Arabia is probably one of the worst guesses in a long time, though.

I like the way Annie plays and she seems to have a wide knowledge base, but I wish they'd stop using the "unemployed" qualifier.

• Love 3

I didn't think Saudi Arabia was a bad answer because the clue used the word "citizenry." Someone might think about countries where women are not allowed to be real citizens. (I don't know the situation in Saudi Arabia.)

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, ABay said:

Alex's reading of the R&B lyrics made me uncomfortable. 

I loved it only because in my head they sounded like the actual songs.  Although now "This is How We Do It" is such an ear worm.

I thought everyone should have gotten Mercury.  Like you have space and the number 7, doesn't your mind automatically fill in the Mercury?

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Driad said:

I didn't think Saudi Arabia was a bad answer because the clue used the word "citizenry." Someone might think about countries where women are not allowed to be real citizens. (I don't know the situation in Saudi Arabia.)

Women are issued Saudi Arabian passports, therefore they are citizens. That the human rights situation there is deplorable doesn't affect that they have citizenship. A somewhat comparable situation could be for black Americans during the Jim Crow era.

2 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I thought everyone should have gotten Mercury.  Like you have space and the number 7, doesn't your mind automatically fill in the Mercury?

Either Mercury or Friendship (and then if I think about it longer, Freedom 7 and Liberty Bell 7 both come to mind). Granted, the latter three all stem from the original "Mercury 7", but they do come to mind.

48 minutes ago, jaybird2 said:

i'm glad the middle girl/lady lost....she also did not take losing well at all.  the look on her face!

She had the same look when she was doing well, though.

19 minutes ago, ABay said:

Alex's reading of the R&B lyrics made me uncomfortable. 

90s R&B has always been my joke dream category, like "If 90s R&B had been a category, I would have won!!" It took me so long to translate from Alex's voice to these songs I wouldn't have rung in on time for half of these, even though I know all the songs like the back of my hand.

• Love 2

All three women were wearing the same color top= bland gray and had the same personalities or lack of.

I thought the FJ was very easy. I was surprised 2 of them missed it. The name of the country is  "Vatican City" though and not "The Vatican." 

eta: missed the posts same! I guess it is the kind of thing they allow. 

I got the TS of Tuscan.

Edited by operalover
  • Love 4

That 90's R&B category-I didn't get a single one. And worse yet, I had no idea who they were talking about.

i got FJ today because they mentioned Vatican City was the smallest country on a previous show. So right away that seemed to fit since it's primarily men over there. 

Rachel's swaying almost made me seasick. And sorry to say, Annie needs a better bra.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, Jesse said:

90s R&B has always been my joke dream category, like "If 90s R&B had been a category, I would have won!!" It took me so long to translate from Alex's voice to these songs I wouldn't have rung in on time for half of these, even though I know all the songs like the back of my hand.

On today's Millionaire, Chris Harrison completely screwed up he cadence of the na na na part of "Hey Jude." I wouldn't have listened. I would have just played the song in my head. 

1 minute ago, operalover said:

I thought the FJ was very easy. I was surprised 2 of them missed it. The name of the country is  "Vatican City" though and not "The Vatican." 

This is very true and they may have not accepted it. The other answers were just bad. Saudi Arabia was just an absurd guess. Despite their status, there's still millions of women living there.Tuvalu might be a small island nation, but it still has 10,000 people on it.

• Love 1

Wow, I didn't have much of an opinion about Annie yesterday, but she's way too pleased with herself.  You're an unemployed bartender.  Get over yourself.

34 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I can't tell y'all how happy I was when Rachel lost.  Her demeanor (and of course not starting at the tops of the categories) bugged me to no end.  Also, Saudi Arabia?  Really? 

Geez.  What a sour puss.

I got Carole Lombard, The Pentagon Papers, and Edwin Muskie.

I felt older than dirt during that 90's R&B category.  Not only did I not know any of them, I didn't even recognize some of the artists.  I guess it was after my time.  Get off my lawn!

I had to think a bit but finally came up with Vatican City (not the building name, Annie, you smug unemployed git) for FJ.

• Love 7

Okay, I'll concede that Annie was annoying, today more than yesterday.  I think I liked her better when she seemed almost too nervous to speak.  But at least she saved us from the sparkling (and swaying) bowl of effervescence that was Rachel.  If she'd won and then held on for a few days, some of us here would be jumping off  bridges by midweek.

Great story, too, Rachel.  I got lost and then I asked for directions.  She should have her own talk show.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, jaybird2 said:

i'm glad the middle girl/lady lost....she also did not take losing well at all.  the look on her face!

I don't I ever recall seeing a Jeopardy contestant that pissed. She looked like she had sucked a bad lemon. She still wasn't happy when Alex shook her hand. Yikes!

• Love 4

Vatican City might not have popped into my head if not for the earlier question about a nunnery. Nineties R&B didn't work for me because I realized that i never really listened to any of the lyrics. TLC and En Vogue I got lucky with, as I had just added remixes of their songs to my running playlist. I was wrong about Annie being a "one and done".

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Jesse said:

She had the same look when she was doing well, though.

1 hour ago, Jesse said:

You can say that again! She takes the cake as bitchiest J contestant EVAH! Either that or she was trying her best not to vomit every minute she was on camera. 

• Love 1

Alex Jacob weighs in...

I would never judge someone for their reaction to losing on #Jeopardy. I obviously did well for myself and I'm still gutted by my loss

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 4

Vatican City unfortunately didn’t occur to me at all. I guessed Antarctica.

All three women were wearing the same color top= bland gray and had the same personalities or lack of.

Seriously. They were all so dull I could barely pay attention, but I was giving Annie the side-eye.  After a game and a half of speaking the full name of the category, dollar amount AND “please”, she sure picked up speed when Rachel was closing in on a win. I don’t know whether she had been deliberately delaying the game but she went from drowsy to downright giddy in about 30 seconds. Either way she can get off my TV now.

I think Rachel was mad she lost but super salty that Alex snarked about her bad guess.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, SierraMist said:

I'm sure glad sourpuss Rachel didn't win.  Way to go Annie!  She made a gutsy DD wager pretty late in the game.     

Esp since she lost it all with the first DD. The only thing that bugs me about her is her asking for a clue with the complete category name plus "please." Yet I feel ridiculous for being critical of someone who's polite.

I got FJ, Vatican City.

1 hour ago, CarpeDiem54 said:

I got Carole Lombard, The Pentagon Papers, and Edwin Muskie.

Those were the three I got too. I also took a WAG at Ann Taylor.

I was quite surprised by the category name "Auditions for a New Mustache." Hmm. Maybe it's not impishly referring to free mustache rides like I thought. I guess it was just an Alex Trebek joke-ish.

Edited by peeayebee
  • Love 1
52 minutes ago, YoureSoUrban said:

Vatican City unfortunately didn’t occur to me at all. I guessed Antarctica.

I think Rachel was mad she lost but super salty that Alex snarked about her bad guess.

Antarctica is not a country but still a better guess than Saudi Arabia!

I agree that Rachel was likely annoyed by Alex's snark which made things worse, although she was clearly upset about losing even before her answer was revealed.

• Love 3

I'm in a university town. We have more than 32 Saudi women (international students) here. I'm curious about the brain fart that happened there. 

I know all of those 90s songs but Alex reading them provided cognitive dissonance for me on some. I also had to translate the words into the actual song. 

I may or may not have seen Color Me Badd in the early 90s at the county fair when I was around 11. You can't prove it. 

• Love 3

I like Annie. And I think after seeing how off-putting Rachel was today, it made me like Annie even more. She seems genuinely happy to be there and I think I heard her laughing at some of Alex's (bad) jokes. I'm good with that. Rachel REALLY bugged me. Haven't seen anyone that unpleasant on the show in a while - and I liked that she missed FJ and Alex basically told her it was a stupid guess.

I too missed FJ and honestly would have never gotten it. I didn't necessarily think it was Saudi Arabia but I thought it must have something to do with not fully recognizing women as citizens or having some sort of dictatorship where they could report a BS number. So I at least sort of understood how she got there.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Browncoat said:

But, Annie, Annie, Annie -- not knowing Washington Post?  Sad!

Totally agree! How do you not get Washington Post in the Nixon's Enemy List category? I'm glad to see others annoyed by all the stupid guessing that seems to go on more, lately. Not just wrong answers but really idiotic, thoroughly non-sensical answers! I find myself yelling at the tv, "If you don't know, don't say anything!" Which is the opposite of what I usually yell during TSs- "No one could even guess... (whatever the answer might be)". If you know what I mean. 

• Love 3

Add me to the people who like Annie. I don't love her as a contestant but I like her fine. I do like that she takes bigger risks with the DDs. That's a huge part of what gets someone a win on this show so props to her for not backing down after getting one wrong.

Plus, when it was coming down to Annie or Rachel, there really wasn't a contest. I'm surprised Rachel was as strong as she was seeing as she had the distinct disadvantage of playing the game while on a boat on the high seas. I've never minded players who sway a bit but she made me woozy just watching her.

I was also shocked that everyone didn't get Vatican City. To me, it seemed very easy but I did just finish watching The Young Pope a few weeks back so maybe that's not fair.

• Love 4

I was also shocked that everyone didn't get Vatican City.

Yeah, what other place would have so few women.  And thinking about it later, not only women, but a low number of men also.

• Love 4
40 minutes ago, OneWouldHope said:

Totally agree! How do you not get Washington Post in the Nixon's Enemy List category? I'm glad to see others annoyed by all the stupid guessing that seems to go on more, lately. Not just wrong answers but really idiotic, thoroughly non-sensical answers! I find myself yelling at the tv, "If you don't know, don't say anything!" Which is the opposite of what I usually yell during TSs- "No one could even guess... (whatever the answer might be)". If you know what I mean. 

I was surprised at that also. Even if she wasn't sure, a Washington paper seems like a good guess when a national political scandal is involved. At least in this case it was a DD & not a matter of her ringing in and not having a (ahem) clue. 

13 minutes ago, vibeology said:

Plus, when it was coming down to Annie or Rachel, there really wasn't a contest. I'm surprised Rachel was as strong as she was seeing as she had the distinct disadvantage of playing the game while on a boat on the high seas. I've never minded players who sway a bit but she made me woozy just watching her.

LOL!

Serena's contestant story was sweet & heart warming. 

Edited by Toothbrush
  • Love 3