Type keyword(s) to search

The Business: News, Rumours, Analysis, and More

• Start Topic

9 minutes ago, starri said:

Doesn't that story have a pretty definitive ending?

Not having seen the first one it totally sounds like a cut away gag from Family Guy or something.  Passion of the Christ II: Jesus's Revenge. 

• Love 16
3 hours ago, BetterButter said:

I saw this on my twitter feed and thought it was a joke at first.      And yes the story has a pretty definitive ending.  So unless its Called Passion Of The Christ 2 - Judgement day when Christ comes back to kill John Connor it is either going to be pure science fiction or focus on life after Christ and the days between is Crusifiction and resurrection.  Wait does that count as spoilers?  

• Love 17
6 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

I saw this on my twitter feed and thought it was a joke at first.      And yes the story has a pretty definitive ending.  So unless its Called Passion Of The Christ 2 - Judgement day when Christ comes back to kill John Connor it is either going to be pure science fiction or focus on life after Christ and the days between is Crusifiction and resurrection.  Wait does that count as spoilers?  

I do despair with Hollywood sometimes. Whatever next, "Ben Hur 2: This Time Its Serious", "Gone with the Wind 2: Yes I do give a damn!", "The Shawshank Redemption 2:The Warden Strikes Back"

I am quite convinced old Mel is losing the plot (in all senses of the word)

• Love 8
16 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Not having seen the first one it totally sounds like a cut away gag from Family Guy or something.  Passion of the Christ II: Jesus's Revenge. 

That's pretty much the only episode of Family Guy I actually found funny.

9 hours ago, Zola said:

"Gone with the Wind 2: Yes I do give a damn!

Unfortunately there was a sequel to GWTW, based on the wretched book sequel Scarlett; fortunately it was a really bad tv mini-series which seems to have disappeared.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Unfortunately there was a sequel to GWTW, based on the wretched book sequel Scarlett; fortunately it was a really bad tv mini-series which seems to have disappeared.

I remember liking that book, but then again, I was also 11 or 12 when  I read it. I just remember being happy that Rhett and Scarlett got to have another daughter together.

I'm kind of surprised that The Wind Done Gone wasn't adapted. I could have seen Oprah producing a t.v. mini-series of it. Although it sounds like the Mitchell estate wasn't very happy about that book.

On 1/30/2018 at 8:37 PM, Chaos Theory said:

So unless its Called Passion Of The Christ 2 - Judgement day when Christ comes back to kill John Connor

I think I would like to see this. Maybe he gets lost time traveling. 

• Love 2

"Gone with the Wind 2: Yes I do give a damn!"

Actually, that sequel does make sense. I'm not sure it would ever live up to its potential but there's an argument for seeing Scarlett chase after what she wants. I feel like it's more of a TV story though, at least TV miniseries. Though, also, I think the culture has lost the taste for stories of the antebellum/Reconstruction South, at least the way they would be told for the presumed audience of anything made out of Hollywood. 

I know Reese has been doing a lot of producing lately and her career is making a comeback. I liked the first movie and I LOVE the musical. But WHO ASKED FOR THIS? What could the plot possibly be? 1) I will be upset if she has broken up with Luke Wilson's character. I am not here for the nonsense of Miss Congeniality 2. 2) Again, what is the plot going to be? It's not like these are Madea or Air Bud movies. The reason the first movie worked well was because she had specific things she needed to overcome. 

• Love 11

But WHO ASKED FOR THIS? What could the plot possibly be?

*Raises hand* Me, and she could run for president, or if that's too sensitive of a subject right now, governor or the senate.

• Love 4
(edited)

I just feel like there are more ways it can go wrong than ways it can go right. 

Examples of decent sequels...

Sister Act 2: Not the best motivation for a sequel but once they get through the set up, you repeat the beats of the first movie with a completely different group of people (rebellious kids are basically the opposite of uptight nuns) but the same leader and it actually works really well.

Aladdin and the King of Thieves: Let's assume Aladdin's dad isn't dead. That new information came out of nowhere but otherwise, it's pretty well done.

Toy Story 2: Somehow manages to avoid the "further adventures" feeling that feels more like TV. I think it helps that like Sister Act 2, there's a brief setup (accidentally sold to a toy collector) that gets you into the new movie. It's hard to sell that the characters have some new motivation that they have never spoken of before. It's easier when there's some new information introduced or a new villain and in some way the characters are reactionary. 

Examples of bad sequels...

The Little Mermaid 2: What? OK, people would have known if Ursula had a sister. And unlike Sister Act 2, opposite little mermaid (Ariel doesn't want her daughter to go into the ocean) feels really lazy. 

Sex and the City 2: Definitely has that "further adventures" problem. No more story to tell and instead they messed with the happiness of the characters to create drama and also messed with the characterization to introduce lazy, cheap humor. 

Edited by aradia22
  • Love 6
On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 12:02 PM, absnow54 said:

*Raises hand* Me, and she could run for president, or if that's too sensitive of a subject right now, governor or the senate.

Now I'm hoping that's the plot.

More Jennifer Coolidge in the world can't be a bad thing. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing Reese in the role again, too.

• Love 1
On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 12:05 AM, aradia22 said:

Sex and the City 2: Definitely has that "further adventures" problem. No more story to tell and instead they messed with the happiness of the characters to create drama and also messed with the characterization to introduce lazy, cheap humor. 

Not to mention,  Samantha was the very  definition of the ugly American tourist.   Her attitude in a very conservative country was off-putting.  It makes me understand why the actress refused to do a third movie..

• Love 4
(edited)
36 minutes ago, UYI said:

So there's going to be a movie version of Cats, and while some of the cast sounds right, there's one person in particular who, um...isn't exactly known for Broadway-level vocals. I'll let you find out for yourself.

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/jennifer-hudson-taylor-swift-james-corden-cats-movie-andrew-lloyd-webber-1202879375-1202879375/

What the BLUE DILLY FUCK is Taylor Swift doing in the cast?!

I mean, okay, she isn't Grizabella (thank merciful God), but still, I don't want her anywhere near this movie.

Everyone else is the cast seems great.  James Corden?  Okay.  Jennifer Hudson singing "Memory"?  Hell yes.  Ian McKellan?  Great.  BUT TAYLOR SWIFT?!  NO NO NO NO NO A THOUSAND TIMES NO WAY IN HELL.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 1
(edited)

Honestly, I saw a touring version of Cats and I thought it was total shit. Maybe I needed to have been a little kid when I saw it? "Memory" is pretty much the only worthwhile song in that musical. Everything else feels like I'm having some kind of 80's acid flashback.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, UYI said:

So there's going to be a movie version of Cats, and while some of the cast sounds right, there's one person in particular who, um...isn't exactly known for Broadway-level vocals. I'll let you find out for yourself.

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/jennifer-hudson-taylor-swift-james-corden-cats-movie-andrew-lloyd-webber-1202879375-1202879375/

Well, there's a difference between Broadway (8 shows a week) and a movie of a Broadway musical (filmed once). She can sing and it helps them to have another big name attached to the project. I don't see a problem with it!

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, shantown said:

Well, there's a difference between Broadway (8 shows a week) and a movie of a Broadway musical (filmed once). She can sing and it helps them to have another big name attached to the project. I don't see a problem with it!

Citation needed. :P

Seriously, though, she's more of an interpretive singer. She's not known for her range. 

6 minutes ago, UYI said:

Seriously, though, she's more of an interpretive singer. She's not known for her range

I have nothing against her singing, you're right about the range.  I can't imagine her in any of the major parts of this particular show.

In regards to the musical itself, this was the first professional musical I ever saw when I was a kid and I loved it--especially the music, but I just can't see it as a movie. 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, UYI said:

Seriously, though, she's more of an interpretive singer. She's not known for her range. 

Agreed. There are two things I know about Taylor when it comes to musical theatre. The first is that Hooper wanted her for Les Mis but based on some form of audition (it was never clear in the reports if it was a recording or a live performance) Cameron Mackintosh refused to allow her to be cast. The second is this:

Neither of those two things give me confidence in her ability to pull off any part in Cats.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

They better leave Deadpool the fuck alone and not force him into PG-13 Marvel shit.

(Not that I don't enjoy that stuff, but I don't want Deadpool in that universe, at all.)

I think I read a while ago, when this was being discussed, that they said that they wouldn't mess with Deadpool's R rating.

The more interesting thing is that they're likely to bury New Mutants and salt the earth.  It's apparently REALLY bad, and they're worried about damaging some of the characters, especially Magick.

I'm sure they'll keep a lot of the Fox properties (like the X-Files, although that finally seems to be finished) under the Fox banner, but the length of time it will take X-Men and Fantastic Four (and probably the related TV properties) to return to Marvel Studios cannot be measured with current technology.  

I wouldn't be surprised if they move all kid/family entertainment to Disney/Pixar proper, though.  So, that for the kids, Lucasfilm and Marvel for their own stuff, and Fox for non-SW, non-superhero adult stuff.

4 hours ago, starri said:

I'm sure they'll keep a lot of the Fox properties (like the X-Files, although that finally seems to be finished) under the Fox banner, but the length of time it will take X-Men and Fantastic Four (and probably the related TV properties) to return to Marvel Studios cannot be measured with current technology.  

I wouldn't be surprised if they move all kid/family entertainment to Disney/Pixar proper, though.  So, that for the kids, Lucasfilm and Marvel for their own stuff, and Fox for non-SW, non-superhero adult stuff.

What I am most curious to see is what happens to the fox network. Disney isn't legally allowed to own it. I know Newscorp wants to hang on to the Fox News and Fox Sports cable channels, but do they have any interest in the network?

And who ever owns it how does it get by being the only network not tied to a major studio? Maybe they go back like the early days being the network that takes crazy chances like when they put out The Simpsons and the X-Files.

5 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

What I am most curious to see is what happens to the fox network. Disney isn't legally allowed to own it.

Are you sure about that?  They might not be able to own the individual stations, but Fox also owns MyNetworkTV, and CBS briefly operated both CBS and UPN until the latter merged into the CW.  Also, I think just about all of the networks have their digital multicast networks like Decades or AntennaTV.

• Love 1