Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
sdpfeiffy

The Business: News, Rumours, Analysis, and More

Recommended Posts


1 hour ago, topanga said:

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. 

That is a problem on the internet. Let me just say Lee Atwater's deathbed contrition was far too little, far too late.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

Warner Bros. playing hardball with theaters on Tenet.

The demand that stood out to me is that theaters with more than 8 screens (like most modern multiplexes) have to make a 12-week commitment.

Interesting move. They also want 63% of the profits for the entire run. Seems like a cutting off your nose to spite your face situation. Tenet makes them more money now and if theaters can’t survive future WB films make less money down the road. 

Plus theaters are already talking about raising prices. Seems like everyone loses in the long run. 

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, AimingforYoko said:

Olivia Wilde to direct MCU movie for Sony.

Spec in the article is Spider-Woman.

Just to clarify the movie will be a part of Sony Pictures Universe of Marvel Characters (doesn’t that just roll off the tongue) and not the MCU. It looks like both cinematic universe may include Spider-Man but for now they are separate.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, Dani said:

Just to clarify the movie will be a part of Sony Pictures Universe of Marvel Characters (doesn’t that just roll off the tongue) and not the MCU. It looks like both cinematic universe may include Spider-Man but for now they are separate.

 

So it is MCU Adjacent like Venom was?

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

So it is MCU Adjacent like Venom was?

Yes. It will probably tie into Venom and Morbius. 

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/17/2020 at 11:09 PM, AimingforYoko said:

Warner Bros. playing hardball with theaters on Tenet.

The demand that stood out to me is that theaters with more than 8 screens (like most modern multiplexes) have to make a 12-week commitment.

I am obviously super out of touch on this movie since until I saw an ad for this movie on my firestick last night I thought it was a movie about former CIA boss George Tenet.

  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

Belushi biopic back in works, this time with Adam Pally

This is like the third time they've recast the part, but as much as I was looking forward to seeing Alex Brightman in the part, this might be better. Pally resembles John Belushi way more than Emile Hirsch and Brightman.

At this point, I'm desperate for this biopic, because Belushi deserves better than that skid mark Wired.

Share this post


Link to post

‘Tenet’ May Not Be Playing at Your Local Drive-In Theater

At the moment WB is only letting Drive-ins show the movie is areas where indoor theaters are open. This is such a stupid move. 

Quote

Exhibitors were told that Warner Bros. wants to keep “Tenet” from areas where traditional venues are still shuttered in order to help preserve the twists and turns of the plot, which has been shrouded in secrecy. But theater owners are concerned that audiences could resort to seeking out the movie elsewhere — like pirating it online.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

So, work on The Batman has stopped because Robert Pattinson tested positive for the coronavirus. Earlier, I posted an article that speculated that studios could be more reluctant to cast older actors because of the high insurance premiums on those most susceptible to the virus. 

I wonder how financing movies will change when even someone young and healthy enough to play Batman can test positive and shut down production.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, AimingforYoko said:

it's a bummer that 2020 is going to become a nothing movie year. 

All the awards for this year are going to have an asterisk....

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, Trini said:

All the awards for this year are going to have an asterisk....

I'm sure the award movies are going to be dumped on streaming in Nov/Dec.  They've already decided to allow films that bypass theaters in favor of streaming/VOD.  I assume they were hoping to avoid that, which is why releases have just been dripping out, but as it continues to look unlikely that things will be any semblance of normal before at least the new year (and probably longer), they're going to have to cave to the reality.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, starri said:

I'm sure the award movies are going to be dumped on streaming in Nov/Dec.  They've already decided to allow films that bypass theaters in favor of streaming/VOD.  I assume they were hoping to avoid that, which is why releases have just been dripping out, but as it continues to look unlikely that things will be any semblance of normal before at least the new year (and probably longer), they're going to have to cave to the reality.

It is going to be an interesting award season. We won't have many of the in person film festivals happening which usually help create the narrative--although I gather some of these are going online.  

Best picture nominees tend not to have huge budgets.  In 2020, 4 of the 9 BP nominated movies had a budget of over 90 million.  In 2019, only 1 of 8 had over 90 million. In 2018, it was also 1 of 9. So I do think it's possible that we'll get VOD/streaming releases of BP contenders.

Where it will get interesting is with categories like special effects and sound which are the categories where bigger budget films tend to do well when it comes to nominations.  With so many big budget films being held back. the competition might be much weaker this year and absolutely insane next year.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

5 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

We won't have many of the in person film festivals happening which usually help create the narrative--although I gather some of these are going online.  

TIFF is happening right now.  They have some limited screenings, but have also expanded to drive-ins and digital.  Venice just happened, which was in person and extremely restrained.  If we get a narrative, it'll likely be that Frances McDormand is headed toward a third Oscar.

  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

With big movies delayed, NATO says theaters might have to reclose.

Per Patrick Corcoran, VP and CCO of NATO:

"We need big movies…We’d hoped that Disney would hold on, but studios have to make their decisions based on their marketing spend and their marketing plan. If they aren’t certain that theaters will be open, they’re going to delay. We’re gratified that they’re moving and not going to Disney+. That’s kind of an important statement. But until we get some of that certainty, we may be seeing theaters close back down again because it’s really tough, if you don’t have new movies coming in, to keep the lights on. To keep paying people. You lose money being closed, but you may end up losing more money if you can’t get audiences in and you’re open."

  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, AimingforYoko said:

"We need big movies…We’d hoped that Disney would hold on, but studios have to make their decisions based on their marketing spend and their marketing plan. If they aren’t certain that theaters will be open, they’re going to delay. We’re gratified that they’re moving and not going to Disney+. That’s kind of an important statement. But until we get some of that certainty, we may be seeing theaters close back down again because it’s really tough, if you don’t have new movies coming in, to keep the lights on. To keep paying people. You lose money being closed, but you may end up losing more money if you can’t get audiences in and you’re open."

How can you make a statement like that without explicitly recognizing why the studios have changed their calendars? Covid. That's the source of the uncertainty.

I think everyone wants to get to a time when the blockbuster film is a thing again, but the coronavirus gets a vote.

  • Like 7
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, ClassicShowsFan said:

From Access (Formerly Access Hollywood): Diane Keaton, Steve Martin Joining ‘Father Of The Bride’ Cast Reunion After 25 Years

The actors will be reuniting for a mini-sequel called “Father Of The Bride Part 3 (Ish)” which will benefit Chef Jose Andres’ World Central Kitchen.

Will the plot be that their characters are broke and have to live with their kids after spending a ridiculous amount of money in the first 2 movies?

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 6
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post

I wonder what the discussion at Disney was like concerning the release of Soul in theaters. I assume that they are thinking that the movie will be well supported by African Americans, but we know that the coronavirus comes after us like the Grim Reaper and now might not be the time to go to a movie theater. Did that factor into their analysis? 

I also wonder how the sales of Mulan factored into their decision.

Edited by xaxat
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, caracas1914 said:

If this works out, it seems the best way to deal with the tragic demise of Chadwick per the Black Panther franchise:

https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/shuri-reportedly-mcus-black-panther/#:~:text=The long game for the,end for the original Avengers.

That website is notoriously unreliable, and consistently posts speculation as "news". They're not a good source for actual information.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
46 minutes ago, Trini said:

That website is notoriously unreliable, and consistently posts speculation as "news". They're not a good source for actual information.

ITA. They rarely have anything covered. There will be an official announcement eventually.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, AimingforYoko said:

I was just reading that. Theaters in my county just got the approval to reopen and now over half of them are going to immediately close again thanks to this announcement. 

On 9/30/2020 at 7:13 PM, xaxat said:

I wonder what the discussion at Disney was like concerning the release of Soul in theaters. I assume that they are thinking that the movie will be well supported by African Americans, but we know that the coronavirus comes after us like the Grim Reaper and now might not be the time to go to a movie theater. Did that factor into their analysis? 

I also wonder how the sales of Mulan factored into their decision.

It’s been rumored for weeks that Soul is going to be delayed again or moved to Disney+. The Regal decision probably means that there is no chance that it will stick with the November release. 

  • Useful 3

Share this post


Link to post

13 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

And the bullshit about "they should have cast a woman of color" begins.  Cleopatra was not a woman of color.  She was Greek.  The Ptolemaic rulers of Egypt were Greek, and they married other Greeks to keep the bloodline pure.  Yeah, they slept with local women, but they didn't marry them.

Now, if someone wanted to make a movie at Nefertiti, yeah, she should be Egyptian.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

And the bullshit about "they should have cast a woman of color" begins.  Cleopatra was not a woman of color.  She was Greek.  The Ptolemaic rulers of Egypt were Greek, and they married other Greeks to keep the bloodline pure.  Yeah, they slept with local women, but they didn't marry them.

Yeah, I was expecting that, (and the inevitable discussion of race in ancient Egypt because everyone wants to claim Egypt), although I expect more controversy over the fact they cast an Israeli as an Egyptian.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, Lugal said:

Yeah, I was expecting that, (and the inevitable discussion of race in ancient Egypt because everyone wants to claim Egypt), although I expect more controversy over the fact they cast an Israeli as an Egyptian.

I've seen some of that too. At least she's from a patch of land closer to both Egypt and Greece than Britain or America. But you can't have everything.

Share this post


Link to post

4 hours ago, starri said:

Walt Disney restructures entertainment businesses to boost streaming.

That sound you just heard was the funeral bell tolling for most movie theaters.

Interesting move. It will certainly give them more cohesion and flexibility. Reading the details it sounds like they are still going to produce plenty of theatrical releases. My guess is that once theaters reopen only the tentpole movies will get theatrical releases. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, xaxat said:

This is just setting it up for a cash flush Amazon or Netflix buying a movie theater chain, isn't it?

This could end up a weird situation. I mean a multiplex is pretty much a purpose built building that only has 1 use. It would not be easy to convert one into a grocery store or an office. So if C shuts all of theirs down, and no other theatre chain wants them, what do the property owners do with all those buildings?

Share this post


Link to post

6 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

This could end up a weird situation. I mean a multiplex is pretty much a purpose built building that only has 1 use. It would not be easy to convert one into a grocery store or an office. So if C shuts all of theirs down, and no other theatre chain wants them, what do the property owners do with all those buildings?

There was an old movie theatre in the mall here that was converted into lecture rooms for a satellite campus for a local college.  But there probably isn't much else you could do with that sort of space.

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

So if C shuts all of theirs down, and no other theatre chain wants them, what do the property owners do with all those buildings?

Years ago we had a multiplex called "Cinedomes" due to the dome shaped auditoriums.  When the casino across the street expanded and included a movie theater of its own, it closed and became a place for religious meetings and lectures.  Maybe they could be used for vintage films?  It's nice to see them on cable (TCM) and DVD but I remember being able to see both Robin Hood (1939) and Spartacus (1960) on the big screen during special showings  and it was epic!  Some movies are best on the big screen as initially intended.   

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

This could end up a weird situation. I mean a multiplex is pretty much a purpose built building that only has 1 use. It would not be easy to convert one into a grocery store or an office. So if C shuts all of theirs down, and no other theatre chain wants them, what do the property owners do with all those buildings?

About 20 years ago my city moved from 4-8 screen multiplexes to 14-21 screen megaplexes leaving a half dozen or so deserted theaters. A few have been demolished, one is a discount theater, one became a fabric store, one is a event space and a couple are still vacant. 

Share this post


Link to post
25 minutes ago, Dani said:

About 20 years ago my city moved from 4-8 screen multiplexes to 14-21 screen megaplexes leaving a half dozen or so deserted theaters. A few have been demolished, one is a discount theater, one became a fabric store, one is a event space and a couple are still vacant. 

There are a couple of buildings in my city that were former theatres. One that is a free standing building was turned into a church (it looks like it may have been couple of screens). The other is part of a mall and was bought by a company that does computer animation company. My wife's cousin works there and when he got married they had the reception there. They kept one or two of the theatres and use them for screening animation. For the reception they hooked video game consoles and a karaoke up to the projector. 

But those are relatively small, the theatre that used to be owned by AMC (but got bought by another Canadian chain) has 24 stadium seating screens and is a giant building. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

AMC theaters announced that they are going to rent out theaters for $100 for up to 20 people and they have a movie list to choose from.  In the Movie Going Experiences thread, it was mentioned that some other chains are renting out theaters and allowing people to choose from movies from a streaming service.  The streaming is better because you have a greater variety to choose from.  It may work, but I can't see doing it myself only because if I'm going to a movie theater (even if I can split it up the cost among many people), I want to see something big and new (like Black Widow).  So, for me, until they start releasing new movies straight to streaming and the theaters near me rent out the theaters with streaming capability, I won't be doing it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Black Widow Streaming Release on Disney+ Strongly Urged by Disney Investor

Quote

The recent lurch towards streaming amid the ongoing global situation has everyone worried about movie theaters and whether or not they will be able to weather the storm. Well, sadly it sounds like the situation could become worse as time goes on, with a top Disney investor now urging Disney to release the comic book blockbuster Black Widow straight to streaming. Dan Loeb, the hedge fund manager for Third Point, has recently said that sending high-profile releases such as Black Widow directly to Disney+ is the best idea moving forward as it would attract new subscribers while retaining current customers.

Dan Loeb is known as a very active investor who works hard to get the companies he invests in run the way he thinks they should be.

Tenet is on the AMC private screening list? If theaters were open in NY, I'd think about rounding up a crew for that. It's the only way I could see it on the big screen.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, xaxat said:

Tenet is on the AMC private screening list? If theaters were open in NY, I'd think about rounding up a crew for that. It's the only way I could see it on the big screen.

It is. New movies start at $149 and go up to $349 depending on the location. 

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, xaxat said:

Black Widow Streaming Release on Disney+ Strongly Urged by Disney Investor

Quote

The recent lurch towards streaming amid the ongoing global situation has everyone worried about movie theaters and whether or not they will be able to weather the storm. Well, sadly it sounds like the situation could become worse as time goes on, with a top Disney investor now urging Disney to release the comic book blockbuster Black Widow straight to streaming. Dan Loeb, the hedge fund manager for Third Point, has recently said that sending high-profile releases such as Black Widow directly to Disney+ is the best idea moving forward as it would attract new subscribers while retaining current customers.

Dan Loeb is known as a very active investor who works hard to get the companies he invests in run the way he thinks they should be.

Apparently, Feige's nixed it being on Disney+. Iger would have to overrule him and that might get ugly.

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size