Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
sdpfeiffy

The Business: News, Rumours, Analysis, and More

Recommended Posts


By all accounts, Rick Moranis is a great guy.  I don't know that we need another Honey I Shrunk The Kids movie, but what the hell, I'm glad he'll be back.

Speaking of Disney, live action Aladdin sequel is in the works

Again, don't know if we need this, even though I liked the other one, but as long as it's better than Maleficent 2, whatever.  I'm sort of glad that they aren't remaking the cartoon sequels because that way I can keep the cartoon Aladdin a different canon than the live action one.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post

I'm intrigued that Chris Evans is talks to be the nasty dentist in the Little Shop of Horrors remake. I'm eager to see how his singing is. Taron Egarton is rumored for Seymour, which would be great.

Unfortunately ScarJo is in talks for Audrey. What the hell, Hollywood?! Is there no other blonde actress out there who would be a million times better for the part?!? Her voice alone is all wrong for Audrey. Michelle Williams would be PERFECT, she can do dumb blonde and her singing is superb!

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post

11 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

I'm intrigued that Chris Evans is talks to be the nasty dentist in the Little Shop of Horrors remake. I'm eager to see how his singing is. Taron Egarton is rumored for Seymour, which would be great.

Unfortunately ScarJo is in talks for Audrey. What the hell, Hollywood?! Is there no other blonde actress out there who would be a million times better for the part?!? Her voice alone is all wrong for Audrey. Michelle Williams would be PERFECT, she can do dumb blonde and her singing is superb!

Re Chris Evans, he can definitely play deranged assholes, as Knives Out and Scott Pilgrim Vs. the World proved. As Seymour, Taron Egerton can look the part, act the part and, as Rocketman shows, he can definitely sing the part.

About ScarJo, my vote: "Hell, no!" She can technically carry a tune, but Audrey requires/deserves a great singer, like MW, Lady Gaga, Anna Kendrick, Megan Hilty or Mj Rodriguez, who played the role last year and slayed,  by many accounts. 

  On the bright side, at least Billy Porter will be the voice of Audrey II. I can't wait to see how A2 sounds-and looks.

My other casting suggestions:

Chris Rock, Jack Black or Craig Robinson as Weird Wink Wilkinson

Rick Moranis, Andy Serkis or Jamie Bell as the First Customer

JK Simmons, Steve Martin, Bill Murray or Mandy Patinkin as Mr. Mushnik

Janelle Monae, Lizzo and Zendaya as the Urchins

Nick Kroll or John Mulaney as Patrick Martin

Robert Downey Jr., Chris Hemsworth, Daniel Craig or Sebastian Stan as The Patient

Edited by DollEyes
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

So the Cesar Awards (French Oscars) decided to award Roman Polanski with their Best Director award last night, which led to Adele Haenel (an actress who recently opened up about being sexually harassed by her director as a child actress, and who has been openly critical of France's resistance to the #metoo movement) to lead a walkout in protest:

 

 

Edited by AshleyN
  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post

Disney has decided to release the estimated $125 million budgeted Artemis Fowl directly on Disney +

Edited by Raja
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Raja said:

Disney has decided to release the estimated $125 billion budgeted Artemis Fowl directly on Disney +

I assume you meant 'million' ?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, Trini said:

I assume you meant 'million' ?

Its Disney the mind goes to billions 😁

  • Laugh 5

Share this post


Link to post

6 minutes ago, Anduin said:

At this point, it's the only way New Mutants will get a release.

New Mutants is R, so they'll go to Hulu. Although with that film's luck, Hulu would suffer a catastrophic software failure on release day.

  • Laugh 5

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

New Mutants is R, so they'll go to Hulu. Although with that film's luck, Hulu would suffer a catastrophic software failure on release day.

That Demon Bear is nothing to fuck with.

Share this post


Link to post

I wasn’t sure what thread my question belonged in.  To be eligible for nominations movies require a theatrical release but because of Coronavirus theaters are closed.   So is there any gossip about The Academy adjusting the rules so movies can be eligible through streaming without theater requirement?  I know there’s been controversy within the industry over Netflix.  

Share this post


Link to post

Assuming theaters remain closed through Christmas Day (the last day of eligibility for any who don't know) then I expect the rules will be updated to include a pandemic exception or that they'll simply be cancelled. I know Marvel is hoping theaters will be open again by November but there's no guarantee so I think the Academy should go ahead and update the requirements rather than wait until the last minute.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I didn't think so but apparently the Academy is considering it.

https://observer.com/2020/03/coronavirus-oscars-2021-academy-awards-impact-info-details/

I think it'll be interesting to see what studios do, especially if production is still shut down well into the fall.  They'd probably want to push some contenders since what they think they'd have available next year might not be ready.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
21 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

Soul pushed to November.

I said when they did the first round of shuffling that June 19th seemed optimistic. I think the only tentpoles left are Mulan on July 24 and WW 1984 on August 14th. We'll see about Mulan. Lamest summer movie season ever.

I don't think Warner Brothers has pushed Christopher Nolan's Tenet yet from its July 17th release, so I suspect they are trying to hold on and see if they can be one of the first new releases this summer.  That might work and while it isn't part of some big franchise, Nolan is one of the few directors whose name alone seems to attract a sizable audience.

Of course, if it doesn't work out, they'll definitely delay it, instead of streaming it, because knowing Nolan, he won't be down with that.  If they tried, I imagine it would end up being a hopefully less violent version of that Bane scene in The Dark Knight Rises, with some WB executive all "I'm in charge!", only for Nolan to slowly put his hand on the exec's shoulder and be all "Do you feel in charge?!"

  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

5 hours ago, xaxat said:

Georgia Looks To Reopen Movie Theaters Early Next Week

Umm, the governor does realize that there are no new movies to show, doesn't he?

In an accompanying article. Reopening Hollywood: How Theater Chains Will Try To Restore Customer Confidence In Moviegoing

The movie going experience is going to be really different after this.

The governor can do what he wants, the businesses will do whatever is in their best interests.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

The governor can do what he wants, the businesses will do whatever is in their best interests.

I have to agree. Will theaters open up, with all the financial issues that entails (salary as an example), if there's no new movies and no one is going to the theater?

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

On 4/24/2020 at 7:38 PM, AimingforYoko said:

AMC Theatres will not open until there's new content.

First up right now is Tenet on July 17th, followed a week later by Mulan.

Even if there is new content how many people are going to want to go to the movies? It's an enclosed space you are in with up to a few hundred other people where you are sometimes sitting close to people you don't know (and sharing armrests) and many people are eating food with their hands.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

It's an enclosed space you are in with up to a few hundred other people

There's no way there's going to be two hundred people in a theater. 50, maybe. When they do reopen, a 14 theater cineplex will show two or three movies at most and the big movies will take up 7 or 8 of the theaters. All the employees will be wearing masks and I bet the concessions will be in sealed packaging. It's going to be a new normal for a while.

We might, might be back to full theaters by the time the 2021 summer movie season rolls around.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Browncoat said:
19 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

Which is a great way to avoid bankruptcy [/sarcasm].

I actually think AMC has a point. I think the key point is this:

 

Quote

This radical change by Universal to the business model that currently exists between our two companies represents nothing but downside for us and is categorically unacceptable to AMC Entertainment, the world’s largest collection of movie theatres.

 

It sounds like Universal wants to keep the current profit distribution from the box office and release the movies for streaming at the same time. So theaters will get lower attendance but pay the same amount of money per ticket to Universal.

(Plus Universal is owned by Comcast, and I'll always disagree with them).

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Regal Owner Cineworld Chimes In On ‘Trolls World Tour’ Controversy: “We Will Not Be Showing Movies That Fail To Respect The Windows”

3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Which is a great way to avoid bankruptcy [/sarcasm].

It comes off to me as saber rattling but it’s probably a decent way to get Universal to back down. There’s no way Universal will let their blockbusters be shut out of AMC theaters. 

Personally, the new release VOD is overpriced. The movies that I would be willing to pay $20 for a short rental are also the movies I am willing to pay theater prices to see. Throw in discount Tuesday and there is no chance that I will pay that much for a rental. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Dani said:

Personally, the new release VOD is overpriced. The movies that I would be willing to pay $20 for a short rental are also the movies I am willing to pay theater prices to see. Throw in discount Tuesday and there is no chance that I will pay that much for a rental. 

Depends on your situation. We have 2 kids and spent $20 to watch Trolls 2 the weekend it came out. The 4 of us watched it as a family and then my kids watched it again the next day. So I would say that the $20 was worth it for us.

On 4/28/2020 at 9:50 PM, AimingforYoko said:

There's no way there's going to be two hundred people in a theater. 50, maybe. When they do reopen, a 14 theater cineplex will show two or three movies at most and the big movies will take up 7 or 8 of the theaters. All the employees will be wearing masks and I bet the concessions will be in sealed packaging. It's going to be a new normal for a while.

It will be interesting to see how this whole thing shakes out. Multiplexes are huge with lots of costs just associated with keeping them open no matter how many people show up. So I wonder how it will work if they are only selling half the tickets or less and limited concessions. At what point does it become cheaper to not open and not have to run the AC and the projector and keep the washroom a clean.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Depends on your situation. We have 2 kids and spent $20 to watch Trolls 2 the weekend it came out. The 4 of us watched it as a family and then my kids watched it again the next day. So I would say that the $20 was worth it for us.

And that's precisely why Trolls was the right movie to release VOD at that cost and why it has done rather well.  It's the kind of movie that families will go to see together and the cost would come out of one family's budget so the $20 is a bargain.

It also came out during a time when families are stuck together and it's an event movie.  Would all blockbusters earn that much money?  Hard to know.

I do know that there was a movie I wanted to see before the theaters closed that came out on VOD.  But I would have likely gone alone or with a friend so the $20 just for just me to watch isn't a cost effective option.  (I'm not in an area where that's the going rate for movies.)

I know the prevailing consensus is that AMC doesn't have much leverage (even though they have the most screens) but having other chains join is going to help their stance.  Besides, there might actually be some competition at the theaters once they open.  There may be a backlog of movies waiting to get into theaters with fewer people able to be squeezed into each actual room.

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

There is litigation going on that seeks to either weaken or overturn the Paramount Decree.  I wonder if depending on the outcome if Disney (if they're financially able do after getting hammered by COVID) might buy a bankrupt AMC.  Not so much to make money, but to financially damage the other studios.

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, starri said:

There is litigation going on that seeks to either weaken or overturn the Paramount Decree.  I wonder if depending on the outcome if Disney (if they're financially able do after getting hammered by COVID) might buy a bankrupt AMC.  Not so much to make money, but to financially damage the other studios.

Is that the deal where movie studios can't own movie theatres. I always thought it was weird that a studio can't own a movie theatre but they can own an entire tv network.

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, starri said:

There is litigation going on that seeks to either weaken or overturn the Paramount Decree.  I wonder if depending on the outcome if Disney (if they're financially able do after getting hammered by COVID) might buy a bankrupt AMC.  Not so much to make money, but to financially damage the other studios.

I’m curious about whether it’s legal for a movie maker to own a movie theater chain.   That’s the way it used to be but wasn’t there a court case accusing the studios of being a Monopoly.  So studios were forced out of movie theater ownership.  If Disney owned AMC theaters they could screw with the distribution of rival studio releases.   I could see tons of lawsuits over it 

Share this post


Link to post

11 minutes ago, Luckylyn said:

I’m curious about whether it’s legal for a movie maker to own a movie theater chain.   That’s the way it used to be but wasn’t there a court case accusing the studios of being a Monopoly.  So studios were forced out of movie theater ownership.  If Disney owned AMC theaters they could screw with the distribution of rival studio releases.   I could see tons of lawsuits over it 

Right, that's the Paramount Decree, from a Supreme Court case named United States vs Paramount Pictures that required the film studios to divest themselves of their theater chains.  However, there have been legal challenges to it.

  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/3/2020 at 8:04 AM, starri said:

There is litigation going on that seeks to either weaken or overturn the Paramount Decree. 

Is it litigation? My understanding was that the DOJ feels the decree is no longer necessary and are asking for it to be terminated. 
 

On 5/3/2020 at 3:01 PM, Kel Varnsen said:

Is that the deal where movie studios can't own movie theatres. I always thought it was weird that a studio can't own a movie theatre but they can own an entire tv network.

It’s a very common misconception that the Paramount decree prevents studios from owning movie theaters. They can and have owned theaters. In 1948 the decree forced the big studios to sell either their distribution operations or their theaters. After that they were blocked from owning both without prior approval. 

On 5/3/2020 at 3:02 PM, Luckylyn said:

If Disney owned AMC theaters they could screw with the distribution of rival studio releases.   I could see tons of lawsuits over it 

Disney has always been able to own movie theaters. They were not big enough at the time to be included in the Paramount decree. 

  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

Maximus here to save the day for movie theaters! Sorry, Nolan: 🙂

Seriously, I have never heard of this until now. It screams "straight to VOD" and a definite notch below "straight to Netflix" action movies.

Edited by Dejana
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size