Type keyword(s) to search

The Business: News, Rumours, Analysis, and More

• Start Topic

58 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

The DOJ sends a letter to the Oscars warning them that if they try to ban streaming services from Oscar consideration, they could be in violation of anti-trust laws.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/03/banning-netflix-from-oscars-may-break-law-says-department-of-justice.html

This makes no sense. It is not a capitalism competition issue. The movies have already been released prior to nomination  regardless of platform. 

• Love 3

That is so dumb, but then again, they turned "Honey Honey" from Abba into a full-fledged prequel for Mama Mia and that made some pretty good money, so who knows? I mean, Grease Live did pretty well and I can see wanting to dip back into that well, but it would pretty much mean they'd have to add in all new characters aside from Sandy and Danny.

I don't know why they just don't do a Gidget reboot. Although hell, given how politically charged these times are, the term Gidget would probably be deemed offensive to little people of feminine persuasion.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1

Liman has presided over such notoriously troubled productions such as “The Bourne Identity” (so bad, it got him fired from the franchise and basically kicked out of the editing room), “Mr. & Mrs. Smith,” and ” Edge of Tomorrow.” The commonality of all these films, however, is that they were huge hits. In short, Liman’s shoots are chaotic, often undergo crazy amounts of reshoots and cost a lot of money—”Edge Of Tomorrow” had writers on set trying to figure out how to save the movie and it worked—but actors like Tom Cruise love him and maybe that’s all that matters? His reputation definitely proceeds him in Hollywood though, so maybe all it will take is one expensive flop.

It'll be nearly 3 years before this movie sees the light of day. Damn. How bad could it be?!

Man, how do you make a movie that has Tom Holland and Daisy Ridley as your leads, and the studio doesn't think it should be released?  I mean, it could probably be bad either way, but to be so bad that the studio doesn't even think they can tempt some audiences with Peter Parker and Rey teaming up in a dystopian movie?  That has to be one hell of a mess!

• Love 6
On 4/24/2019 at 5:06 AM, Anduin said:

The picture they use, couldn't anyone find a better wig for Daisy Ridley? That should have been the first warning sign.

Now she's going to look like she's copying the main girl from The End of the F*cking World.

Anyway, in not-surprising news, Avatar 2 has been pushed back to 2021.

11 minutes ago, starri said:

It does make one wonder if Lana and Lilly had some kind of falling out.  Have they ever done solo projects before?

I dunno. Maybe Lilly just wasn't interested. Making movies is, I hear, hard work. You need to be committed. If you aren't, there's no point.

Hey, I wonder if Switch  will come back. Switch was supposed to be female while plugged in, male in the real world. However, that was apparently knocked back by one of the producers. They settled for making the actress look androgynous. If not Switch, then maybe someone else with a similar concept.

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 12:33 AM, starri said:

It does make one wonder if Lana and Lilly had some kind of falling out.  Have they ever done solo projects before?

I think Lily's taking a break after her transition was outed before she was ready whilst filming Season 2 of Sense8

This includes stuff about TV costuming too, but I thought this was a really interesting article about some of the challenges of costume designers today: 'The Hardest Costume I Ever Designed'

What does it take to be a costume designer in Hollywood? “You need to be a therapist, and you need a therapist,” jokes Lou Eyrich, Ryan Murphy’s go-to when it comes to the wardrobe department. She and her ilk are sterling multitaskers who juggle the needs of all sorts of personalities on set. They work with directors and showrunners to make sure the costumes they’re creating are in sync with grander visions of characters, settings, and stories. They collaborate closely with stars to make sure the costumes fit, both physically and with an actor’s idea of the role. They communicate with heads of other departments — hair, makeup, production design — to verify that the clothes gel within the broader palette of a scene. They’ve always wrangled extras and closet space, but these days they interface with animators and CGI artists, too.

According to several costume designers who spoke to Vulture, the already significant demands on their field have risen in recent years, particularly as the ambitions of motion pictures leak into prestige TV. As the production value being sought lurches upward, costume designers working in television find themselves facing shorter preparation periods and longer hours — but not necessarily better pay. “The studios get away with this because TV has historically paid less than film,” says Salvador Perez, a designer who frequently works with Mindy Kaling and is president of the Costume Designers Guild’s board of directors. “But as TV shows are getting grander in scale and the studios want to attract feature-film costume designers, they are starting to pay feature rates to get notable costume designers to work on TV shows. TV rates are starting to rise, and we are working to make this the industry standard.”

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Richard Linklater wants to film "Merrily We Roll Along" over 20 years to match the span of time that eclipses in the musical. I wonder if it's staying with the 1957-1976 time frame?

You know, it's a cool idea but man I hope he has back up. Just because this worked once doesn't mean it'll happen again, especially given that he'll be 80 years old in 2040.

I will say this about him- he really does just enjoy telling slice-of-life stories and taking risks even when he knows it probably won't amount to big box office. He does have a smaller cast this time- just Blake Jenner, Beanie Fieldstein, and Ben Platt, so that's a little less to have to account for.

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

Arrgh! Of all the men they could get, Len Wiseman? He's not great. Come on, where are all the female action directors? Admittedly, I can't think of any right now. But there must be some out there.

Wiseman. Damn. Expectations low.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Anduin said:

Arrgh! Of all the men they could get, Len Wiseman? He's not great. Come on, where are all the female action directors? Admittedly, I can't think of any right now. But there must be some out there.

Wiseman. Damn. Expectations low.

Patty Jenkins?

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Patty Jenkins?

3 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Or even give one a promotion.  Michelle MacLaren, who was originally going to do Wonder Woman, has directed event and even some action on shows like Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones.

Either one of these would be better than Wiseman.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, kiddo82 said:
On 10/4/2019 at 1:06 PM, Silver Raven said:

Frances McDormand and Denzel Washington are going to start filming Macbeth for A24.

There is nothing about that sentence that I don't love.

I generally think Denzel is an insufferable, self-important twatwaffle.

Actually, that will make him a perfect Macbeth.

• Love 3

Peter Cushing in Rogue One was a bit unsettling but at least it was a role he actually played in a Star Wars film. Casting long dead James Dean in a film that apparently has nothing to do with him or any role he has played is just icky and a terrible precedent. There is no way of knowing if he would actually be ok with this. The SAG needs to address this. 

Edited by Oreo2234
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, xaxat said:

I assume that the family estate (or whoever controls his image) is within their legal rights, but this is disappointing. 

And it's not going to be the last time it happens.

So this is okay, but depicting James Dean as bisexual is beyond bounds. Okay.

• Love 2

Yeah these distribution deals are getting messier. So Europe gets The Studio Ghibli films on Netflix, but North America will see them on HBO Max. Meanwhile, some of the Disney movies are still on Netflix rather than Disney+, or are going to be moving to Netflix in several years. Confusing.

• Useful 1
14 hours ago, dmeets said:

So Europe gets The Studio Ghibli films on Netflix, but North America will see them on HBO Max.

Thanks for the info. I hadn't read about the HBO Max deal.