Type keyword(s) to search

The Business: News, Rumours, Analysis, and More

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, starri said:

Are you sure about that?  They might not be able to own the individual stations, but Fox also owns MyNetworkTV, and CBS briefly operated both CBS and UPN until the latter merged into the CW.  Also, I think just about all of the networks have their digital multicast networks like Decades or AntennaTV.

Yep Disney can't own ABC and FOX. Not sure how those other examples work but it sounds like that the most likely option is that Newscorp might just keep the network for the NFL rights and make it a home to cheap reality shows. My hope is it becomes the networj with nothing to lose and starts carrying riskier shows that no other network would take a chance on.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Yep Disney can't own ABC and FOX. Not sure how those other examples work but it sounds like that the most likely option is that Newscorp might just keep the network for the NFL rights and make it a home to cheap reality shows. My hope is it becomes the networj with nothing to lose and starts carrying riskier shows that no other network would take a chance on.

It will be weird going back to only three real broadcast networks.  It's also going to suck for all the shows currently on Fox if that happens, since they can't just put them on ABC.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, starri said:

It will be weird going back to only three real broadcast networks.  It's also going to suck for all the shows currently on Fox if that happens, since they can't just put them on ABC.

I do wonder though if it will be as bad as that article states. I mean networks passing on shows their affiliated studios produce is npt an uncommon thing. For a recent example NBC passed on Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt which was produced by Universal and Netflix picked it up. A similar thing happened with Brooklyn 99 also being passed by NBC after being producedby Universal and then ending up on Fox. My favourite one was that Disney/Touchstone originally produced CSI, ABC and every other network passed on it and it then ended up on CBS and was the most popular show on tv for awhile. 

40 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

This deal is really about Hulu or whatever streaming service Disney launches. Disney wants that Fox back catalogue to launch a streaming service that will challenge Netflix and Amazon.

I keep wondering about this. Sure the Fox catalog of movies going back to the 30's would be nice, but I would have totally thought that even without that Disney would have enough of a library that everyone would want their service. Even before the merger it could potentially have every Disney movie ever, all the classic tv cartoons like the original Ducktales, most of the Marvel and Star Wars stuff, the Muppets, all the ABC studios produced shows they own (Lost, Grey's Anatomy), all the Disney Jr cartoons and Disney Channel tween shows plus all the movies that were put out by Touchstone and Miramax. If they threw open the vault and put everything on demand streaming there would potentially be enough for 2 services.

After the Fox merger I could totally see them launching 2, one for all the kids stuff and one either for everything or to show stuff adults want. Because I could easily see every parent spending the money for a service so there kids can watch Tangled or something over and over again, but those parents mights not be interested in having Kill Bill available.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Kel Varnsen said:

I keep wondering about this. Sure the Fox catalog of movies going back to the 30's would be nice, but I would have totally thought that even without that Disney would have enough of a library that everyone would want their service. Even before the merger it could potentially have every Disney movie ever, all the classic tv cartoons like the original Ducktales, most of the Marvel and Star Wars stuff, the Muppets, all the ABC studios produced shows they own (Lost, Grey's Anatomy), all the Disney Jr cartoons and Disney Channel tween shows plus all the movies that were put out by Touchstone and Miramax. If they threw open the vault and put everything on demand streaming there would potentially be enough for 2 services.

After the Fox merger I could totally see them launching 2, one for all the kids stuff and one either for everything or to show stuff adults want. Because I could easily see every parent spending the money for a service so there kids can watch Tangled or something over and over again, but those parents mights not be interested in having Kill Bill available.

They could also create a kids profile like Netflix does and Hulu does have a kids tab. Perhaps there are more parental controls already built in. But the Fox tv catalogue is massive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_20th_Century_Fox_television_programs?wprov=sfla1

• Love 1
(edited)

Anyone with MoviePass might want to enjoy it now:

MoviePass is having quite a week. On Saturday evening, many users experienced technical difficulties when trying to purchase their tickets at movie theaters. This same issue surfaced Thursday, and it was because MoviePass ran out of money.

In a Securities and Exchange Commission filing on Friday, the owner of MoviePass, Helios and Matheson Analytics, said that it borrowed $5 million in cash following Thursday's "service interruption" because the company was unable to make certain required payments.

"The $5.0 million cash proceeds received from the Demand Note will be used by the Company to pay the Company's merchant and fulfillment processors," the filing said. "If the Company is unable to make required payments to its merchant and fulfillment processors, the merchant and fulfillment processors may cease processing payments for MoviePass, Inc. ('MoviePass'), which would cause a MoviePass service interruption. Such a service interruption occurred on July 26, 2018."

In addition to the "technical difficulties", other customers got hit with $8.00 surcharges on movies that have been out for weeks. And, tickets for the new Mission: Impossible weren't available for purchase on the MoviePass app. 

AMC already rolled out their monthly subscription service and I wonder, after MoviePass is kaput, if/when the other big US chains will follow suit (and with something that brings more to the table than Cinemark's Movie Club).  The subscription model has been around in the UK for over a decade and their annual admissions haven't plummeted dramatically as a result.

Edited by Dejana

Agreed. There are two things I know about Taylor when it comes to musical theatre. The first is that Hooper wanted her for Les Mis but based on some form of audition (it was never clear in the reports if it was a recording or a live performance) Cameron Mackintosh refused to allow her to be cast. The second is this:

Jesus Christ. Girl, I can't even sing Maria if I'm not warmed up really well. Who told her that was a good idea?

I keep wondering about this. Sure the Fox catalog of movies going back to the 30's would be nice, but I would have totally thought that even without that Disney would have enough of a library that everyone would want their service. 

I think it's just a case of more being more. A streaming service is ideally all things to all people. That's what Netflix was before everybody wanted their own service and pulled their titles. The network streaming services have a tougher time because they tend to be more targeted. At best, HBO has Sex and the City but also The Sopranos, Game of Thrones, Last Week Tonight, etc. But that's not going to draw in people who want X, Y, Z. The more you've got, the more chances you've got to draw someone in with the show or movie they really want to see. And it's also about keeping people coming back month after month. I haven't gotten to it yet but I'm very aware that I could finish watching everything on hulu that interests me in a couple of months.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, aradia22 said:

I think it's just a case of more being more. A streaming service is ideally all things to all people. That's what Netflix was before everybody wanted their own service and pulled their titles. The network streaming services have a tougher time because they tend to be more targeted. At best, HBO has Sex and the City but also The Sopranos, Game of Thrones, Last Week Tonight, etc. But that's not going to draw in people who want X, Y, Z. The more you've got, the more chances you've got to draw someone in with the show or movie they really want to see. And it's also about keeping people coming back month after month. I haven't gotten to it yet but I'm very aware that I could finish watching everything on hulu that interests me in a couple of months.

This precisely. I found this article from 2016 about the number of titles that each of the streaming services had. It was pretty clear that they really had to have thousands upon thousands.

As of March 29, Amazon Prime Video offered 18,405 movies and 1,981 TV shows in the U.S., while Netflix stocked 4,563 movies and 2,445 series, according to an analysis by Wall Street research firm Barclays. In terms of tonnage, Hulu tops Netflix in both areas — with 3,588 shows and 6,656 movies.

Aquiring Fox gives them that.

https://variety.com/2016/digital/news/netflix-amazon-prime-video-movies-tv-comparison-1201759030/

1 hour ago, Kel Varnsen said:

I also just realized that when this deal goes through Stsrling Archer will be a Disney cartoon character. Has Disney ever produced an animated anything where people swear before?

I honestly wouldn't mind Archer crossing paths with Deadpool.

• Love 1

The next non-Quentin Tarantino Star Trek might end up being Chris-less: apparently negotiations between Paramount and Chris Pine and Chris Hemsworth (apparently, Kirk's dad was suppose to come back thanks to time traveling craziness) has fallen through.  I guess since Star Trek: Beyond underperformed, it isn't too surprising that Paramount wants to cut costs, but I'm curious to see how this plays out.  I suspect it will end with them relenting to Pine's demands, but possibly either dropping George Kirk coming back or maybe just recasting him.  Hell, if Chris won't play ball, they can also get either Liam Hemsworth Lite or Luke Diet Hemsworth (I kid!  I kid!)

Of course, the big question is if it all works out, can movie screens even handle having both Chris Pine and Chris Hemsworth in the same frame?  That might be too much handsomeness!  

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 7
21 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Hell, if Chris won't play ball, they can also get either Liam Hemsworth Lite or Luke Diet Hemsworth (I kid!  I kid!)

LOL! I wouldn't put it past the studios to try it; but I doubt his brothers would actually take the role.

I’d love to see those two on my screen! In my Chris list they are Hot Chris (Hemsworth) and Handsome Chris (Pine). Yes, I'm dorky enough to have a Chris list. It includes Faithful Chris (Evans) and Funny Chris (Pratt). Roll all four of them together and they make my perfect man. If someone can create that as a clone or humanoid robot I have like $1,750 saved to put down as a deposit.  

I really have enjoyed the Star Treks with Pine as Kirk. I hope they can find a way to make it work.  I loved Beyond and didn’t realize it had underperformed. 

• Love 3

He has the charm and he does do DJing but I'm not sure if the dude can sing. And again, I'm really trying to get why this is necessary unless they plan on getting people that can actually sing the musical's score.

Camilla Cabello is apparently being rumored for Maria? I guess it does show that the producers aren't dumb enough to think they can cast a white girl as Maria and no one's going to bat an eye.

• Love 1

I like Ansel Elgort, and hopefully he can sing well enough (Maria is one of my fave songs from the show and Something's Coming does require some talent to pull off) but I thought Tony was ethnically Polish/eastern european? I feel like that was mentioned in passing at some point. Not that I'm an expert on what europeans are supposed to look like. I know Elgort has released some music? I know I've seen it on his insta.

Camilla Cabello is fine as a singer, but can she act? Can't they just pluck someone from the stage?

Edited by JustaPerson

I posted this same comment in the Theatre Talk thread. 

"I don't know enough about his singing voice to know how I should feel about this. But this definitely means they're casting young, or at least young-looking. You can't cast an older-looking Maria against a baby-faced Ansel Elgort. On the one hand, Spielberg gave us Smash. On the other hand, he gave us Smash. :P"

As for Camila, NO she is NOT a fine singer. There's no way she could handle the WSS score without so much autotune it would be easier to dub her voice with a robot or Debbie Reynolds. 

I thought it would be Ariana Grande but she seems to have some massive personal problems right now (that make sense) and I hope she takes the time to gather herself together.

I'm holding out hope for an unknown.

Edited by methodwriter85
On 2.10.2018 at 8:55 AM, methodwriter85 said:

I thought it would be Ariana Grande but she seems to have some massive personal problems right now (that make sense) and I hope she takes the time to gather herself together.

I'm holding out hope for an unknown.

Ariana isn't even latina, I doubt they'd go with a white actress for Maria. Hoping for an unknown actress too. Camila Cabello ain't it.

• Love 2

Wow, I really did think she was Latina. Turns out she's actually Italian. Hmm. The more you know...

I had really hoped they would have consulted with Lin Manuel-Miranda, but it doesn't look like they did. If you looked at girls who starred in recent professional productions of In The Heights, you'd probably have a decent Maria.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 3
On 10/1/2018 at 11:12 PM, JustaPerson said:

I like Ansel Elgort, and hopefully he can sing well enough (Maria is one of my fave songs from the show and Something's Coming does require some talent to pull off) but I thought Tony was ethnically Polish/eastern european? I feel like that was mentioned in passing at some point. Not that I'm an expert on what europeans are supposed to look like. I know Elgort has released some music? I know I've seen it on his insta.

Camilla Cabello is fine as a singer, but can she act? Can't they just pluck someone from the stage?

She was good in her video for "Havana".

Ansel has music videos out

Wow, I really did think she was Latina. Turns out she's actually Italian. Hmm. The more you know...

I had really hoped they would have consulted with Lin Manuel-Miranda, but it doesn't look like they did. If you looked at girls who starred in recent professional productions of In The Heights, you'd probably have a decent Maria.

Unless you mean high school productions, they're probably too old. The last one I can think of starred Vanessa Hudgens and... god, no. Same goes for anyone in Hamilton since they cast Ansel. The youngest-looking Elizas I can think of aren't the right ethnicity.

Lin Manuel Miranda did work on the most recent WSS revival in 2009, translating some lyrics to spanish. That production cast a South American actress to play Maria, which could be good idea (or an actress from PR). No need to fake an accent at least. 

Edited by JustaPerson
  • Love 1

Troubled times at Annapurna Pictures: Losing "hundreds of millions of dollars", distribution woes, offloading upcoming projects to other studios, with Larry Ellison taking a more active role, but according to studio insiders, he "is not interested in putting his money behind politically charged material". Creative types in the industry are very worried about the studio's future, even if it doesn't go under. 

45 minutes ago, Dejana said:

Troubled times at Annapurna Pictures: Losing "hundreds of millions of dollars", distribution woes, offloading upcoming projects to other studios, with Larry Ellison taking a more active role, but according to studio insiders, he "is not interested in putting his money behind politically charged material". Creative types in the industry are very worried about the studio's future, even if it doesn't go under. 

When people talk about "Liberal Hollywood", they're talking about the creative side. When it comes to the financial side, Hollywood is quite conservative, in all meanings of the word.

• Love 13
On 10/14/2018 at 3:10 PM, Dejana said:

This would also be at home in the Nepotism Thread. Billionaire father tires of financing daughter's money losing vanity studio. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, xaxat said:

This would also be at home in the Nepotism Thread. Billionaire father tires of financing daughter's money losing vanity studio. 

I didn't realize The Sisters Brothers had even been released.

RatPac-Dune is auctioning off their film library.  So far as I can tell, this doesn't get you the actual prints / hard drives, but it is their percentage of the films' revenues and copyright royalties.  So, if you really wanted to know if Batman v Superman actually made any money, and you have a winning Powerball ticket burning a hole in your pocket, get your bid on!

I'm legitimately impressed they went with fresh faces who have a theater background for the other parts. I mean, they already have the name recognition so why not take a gamble? Sometimes it pays off really well. Shanice Williams in the Wiz Live was incredible.

It's kind of weird they went with a real 17-year old for Maria because Ansel's like 24 but eh, it's whatever.

• Love 2

I just found out that they are remaking West Side Story. Are they out of their friggin' minds? What the hell is wrong with people, West Side Story is a classic, they only thing they will end up with is something not as good, & that's if they're lucky. It's probably going to end up as total crap.

This has been floating around the Broadway world for ages now so I've had time to grow accustomed to it. At least Camilla Cabello isn't involved, as was rumored/suggested for a long time. My thought is... best case scenario, we have a solid movie version for people to watch that doesn't have whitewashing. Most likely scenario... we have another forgettable movie musical that I won't bother to watch because I'm lazy (still haven't seen Into the Woods, The Last 5 Years, Sweeney Todd, Les Miserables, etc.) Worst case scenario, it'll be terrible and people will forget about it (see Annie remake). 

I did really think West Side Story was in the "unremakeable" category like Gone With the Wind (I can't see how you could possibly do that story now without changing basically everything) but hey, if Stephen Spielberg wants to take something with that kind of legacy on, go him.

It does look like they really want to be accurate and respectful in their portrayal of Puerto Ricans, but I do think if they make everything too PC, the story doesn't work.  The story is inherently about racism and prejudice, so making things "woke" dilutes the story. I hope they find the right balance.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 2

Alita: Battle Angel is starting it's marketing campaign. I think it's an interesting coincidence that it and The Man Who Killed Don Quixote, two of the most epic "development hell" projects finally made it to the screen within a year of each other. Terry Gilliam first signed a development deal for Don Quixote back in 1990 and while Wikipedia puts the first hint of an Alita movie in 2000, but I distinctly remember a bootleg copy of a James Cameron script floating around the internet in the late '90's.

(Then again, given that Cameron's projects take decades to finish, perhaps it's just his natural pace and not development hell.)