Type keyword(s) to search

The Business: News, Rumours, Analysis, and More

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, starri said:

Gal is also holding all of the cards.  No matter what the penalties are for breaking her contract, she'll be fine because she and her husband are quite wealthy.  On the flip side, at this point, there is no DCEU without her.  Good for her.

She doesn't have a contract.  Her initial deal was for three films (BvS, WW, JL).

I guess I should say, her original contract is over.  It's possible she already signed a new one with a bigger payday, but if that didn't happen, then she can hold the WB to whatever terms she wants.

I'm kind of surprised the WB only did a three-picture deal initially, considering the filming schedule they were anticipating would (and did) exhaust the original contract quite quickly.  Marvel got Chris Evans for 6 or 7 films initially, I believe.

• Love 1
On 5/28/2017 at 11:35 PM, Silver Raven said:

The Beguiled is getting raves at Cannes.  And Sophia Coppola was named Best Director, only the second woman to win the award.

On 5/30/2017 at 3:54 PM, proserpina65 said:

That's not a movie I imagined ever needing to be remade, but it does look interesting.

I saw it a few weeks ago. I thought it was dull and boring. Not as sucky as "La La Land," but close.

On 6/10/2017 at 3:07 PM, Silver Raven said:

I can't imagine how they can strip Fifty Shades of Grey of adult content without making it five minutes long.

You say that like it would be a bad thing.

• Love 1

So, Justice League is definitely going to end up getting a bunch of people fired, right?

That and now they're going to scramble and find random ways to have Diana/Wonder Woman in every D.C. Film now (Aquaman: "How in the hell did you even get to Atlantis?"  Wonder Woman: "I have my ways...") 

And considering his performance, I really wouldn't be surprise if there are truth to the rumors that Ben Affleck wants out, so I'm guessing Bruce is going to suddenly look way different in the next film.

Let's just take a moment and think about the fact that a movie opening at 93 million or so is "disappointing." How fucked up is it that movies get made so expensively that they must gross upwards of 100 million in their opening weekend to be considered a hit?

That's why I kind of cheer stuff like Deadpool managing to kick so much ass and under a relatively lean budget of 58 million.

• Love 7
13 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Let's just take a moment and think about the fact that a movie opening at 93 million or so is "disappointing." How fucked up is it that movies get made so expensively that they must gross upwards of 100 million in their opening weekend to be considered a hit?

That's why I kind of cheer stuff like Deadpool managing to kick so much ass and under a relatively lean budget of 58 million.

The budget for Justice League is estimated to be $300 million. This likely doesn't include advertising or marketing. This film will have to make a billion to actually start making money. Unless you are James Cameron and are investing in a new technology that you can monetize down the road, no one should be spending anywhere north of $250 million on a film. And if it were up to me, I'd stop people from spending more than $200 million.

But Blade Runner 2049 cost between $150 - $185 million and will need about a $100 million write down for Warner Brothers, which should have been obvious to anyone with a couple of working brain cells because Blade Runner cost $28 million, took in $34 million, and took 30 years to actually be successful. If you adjust for inflation that puts it at a budget of about $70 million. That's not insubstantial. This means that 2049 should've had a budget of roughly $100 million because this franchise doesn't do the type of quick and dirty business studios are used to. If the budget had been closer to $75 million, Blade Runner 2049 would have been actually financially successful. It's made about $250 million.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

The budget for Justice League is estimated to be $300 million. This likely doesn't include advertising or marketing. This film will have to make a billion to actually start making money. Unless you are James Cameron and are investing in a new technology that you can monetize down the road, no one should be spending anywhere north of $250 million on a film. And if it were up to me, I'd stop people from spending more than $200 million.

But Blade Runner 2049 cost between $150 - $185 million and will need about a $100 million write down for Warner Brothers, which should have been obvious to anyone with a couple of working brain cells because Blade Runner cost $28 million, took in $34 million, and took 30 years to actually be successful. If you adjust for inflation that puts it at a budget of about $70 million. That's not insubstantial. This means that 2049 should've had a budget of roughly $100 million because this franchise doesn't do the type of quick and dirty business studios are used to. If the budget had been closer to $75 million, Blade Runner 2049 would have been actually financially successful. It's made about $250 million.

Especially with the bad reviews Justice League has been getting I imagine there will be a huge second weekend dropoff in ticket sales. 

43 minutes ago, JustaPerson said:

For comparison, Thor: Ragnarok was made for $180M.

And will probably make more money overall. I think the best comment i read somewhere is you know Warner fucked up somewhere when the 3rd solo movie from probably the least popular of the big 3 movie Avengers makes more money then the damn Justice League.

• Love 5
43 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

And will probably make more money overall. I think the best comment i read somewhere is you know Warner fucked up somewhere when the 3rd solo movie from probably the least popular of the big 3 movie Avengers makes more money then the damn Justice League.

Justice League is likely to lose money.

13 hours ago, JustaPerson said:

For comparison, Thor: Ragnarok was made for $180M.

That kind of boggles mind because Ragnarok is such a better looking movie than Justice League.  Where did all Justice Leagues money go?  Because it wasn't into the effects.  The erasing of Cavill's mustache was awful and I thought Steppenwolf looked pretty crappy himself.

• Love 1

So there's been an update from Rashida Jones and her writing partner. Their statement is a bit odd since they must have known about Pixar's diversity issues before signing on for the movie (and I'm just hazarding a guess that they've worked with other organizations with similar diversity issues) though maybe that was just code for THEM not being treated as they would have liked and not actually advocacy for women and people of color on the whole. I am kind of shocked though that they had even secured the Toy Story 4 gig in the first place. It makes a lot of money and its a beloved franchise. Unless I'm missing something, I can think of anything in their credits that would warrant giving them such a big project or even anything similar that they've written. I've read a bit of her writing in magazines and that sort of thing. It hasn't struck me as... very good. Maybe they wrote a fantastic outline or were amazing in the room. Separate from the allegedly horrible behavior from Lasseter (and his non-apology) I just find this weird. Then again, I find a lot the decisions for hiring screenwriters weird. Who keeps hiring Akiva Goldsman for big projects???

Looks like the got the reshoot done for All the Money in the World. 

I actually think Plummer might be an upgrade. But that orchestral remix of Kanye's Power is not working for me.

15 hours ago, xaxat said:

Looks like the got the reshoot done for All the Money in the World. 

I actually think Plummer might be an upgrade. But that orchestral remix of Kanye's Power is not working for me.

I thought the story was that Plummer was the original choice of the director.  

• Love 1
3 hours ago, raezen said:

I thought the story was that Plummer was the original choice of the director.  

Yes and that Spacey was the studios' pick because he was a bigger name than Plummer. Hearing that even before the Spacey allegations made me sad because Plummer is a great actor.

• Love 3
22 hours ago, raezen said:

You're right!  Unfortunately, you know that the producers are only thinking of how to get Jennifer Lawrence/Emma Stone/Margot Robbie to star.

God, no.  Megan Hilty bugs the crap out of me.  Not on the Kristin Chenowith level, but not far from it.

• Love 3

I actually think Plummer might be an upgrade. 

I don't think Spacey is a better actor but I think (at least for me and the roles I've seen him in) Plummer has a sweetness which undercuts his portrayal of a ruthless miser. I think it also helps that Spacey had all that makeup and Plummer just looks like himself. That said, it probably wouldn't have occurred to me if I hadn't been able to compare both trailers. 

Bryan Singer has deleted his social media, declared himself ill, and production on Bohemian Rhapsody has halted.  20th Century Fox said production has halted due to "the unexpected unavailability of Bryan Singer" and his spokesperson called it "a personal health matter concerning Bryan and his family".

I suppose it has nothing to do with the recent sexual harassment charges.

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/news/a844458/freddie-mercury-biopic-shut-down-bryan-singer-personal-health-matter/

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Oh please! I want my X-Men back home! Only MCU can fix FOX's fuck up.

At this point I don't really care about the X-Men. But the FF, Dr Doom, Galactus, Silver Surfer,Kang, etc... I really want the MCU to have those characters back.

1 hour ago, Captain Carrot said:

At this point I don't really care about the X-Men. But the FF, Dr Doom, Galactus, Silver Surfer,Kang, etc... I really want the MCU to have those characters back.

I'm an old school X-Men fan, started reading in HS, so I'll always love/want them to be done "right" (my version). 

However, i think you're right. FF, Doom, Surfer, Kang, Galactus would benefit and, fit into the MCU better than the X-Men (at this point).

• Love 2

Can people PLEASE stop talking to Matt Damon about this?

Can people please stop asking Matt Damon for his opinion on ANYTHING? Every time he opens his mouth with some no-doubt-well-meaning but totally oh-my-god-dude-you-are-out-of-touch take on _________* my love for Good Will Hunting dies a little bit inside.

*Fill in your own blank. Mine thus far includes diversity in Hollywood, men in Hollywood, sexual harassment in Hollywood, and education. JUST STOP TALKING, MATT.

• Love 9

Whenever people lament about "What do publicists do?" or "Being a publicist isn't a real job."  Please refer to Matt Damon over the last four years.  Also this is starting to remind me of when Tom Cruise fired Liz Smith as his publicist and hired his sister.  That was when we got couch jumping, medication warning Tom Cruise."  Then the public realized that Tom was always crazy, just that Liz was such a good publicist she kept him under control. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, hendersonrocks said:

Can people please stop asking Matt Damon for his opinion on ANYTHING? Every time he opens his mouth with some no-doubt-well-meaning but totally oh-my-god-dude-you-are-out-of-touch take on _________* my love for Good Will Hunting dies a little bit inside.

*Fill in your own blank. Mine thus far includes diversity in Hollywood, men in Hollywood, sexual harassment in Hollywood, and education. JUST STOP TALKING, MATT.

19 minutes ago, JBC344 said:

Whenever people lament about "What do publicists do?" or "Being a publicist isn't a real job."  Please refer to Matt Damon over the last four years.  Also this is starting to remind me of when Tom Cruise fired Liz Smith as his publicist and hired his sister.  That was when we got couch jumping, medication warning Tom Cruise."  Then the public realized that Tom was always crazy, just that Liz was such a good publicist she kept him under control. 

Thank you. I’m now ashamed to admit that I love the Bourne franchise and still watch it on a regular basis. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, aradia22 said:

http://www.vulture.com/2017/12/matt-damon-shares-all-his-bad-opinions-on-sexual-misconduct.html

*bangs head on desk* 

Can people PLEASE stop talking to Matt Damon about this? Thank God I watched his season of 30 Rock before he kept opening his dumb mouth.

I actually agree with him about there being a spectrum of complaints and that sexual harassment and sexual assault are very different things.  Treating things on the less offensive end of the spectrum as if they are equally as bad as actual sexual assault lessens the seriousness of sexual assault.  It's all wrong, but it's not all equal.

• Love 3

I actually agree with him about there being a spectrum of complaints and that sexual harassment and sexual assault are very different things.  Treating things on the less offensive end of the spectrum as if they are equally as bad as actual sexual assault lessens the seriousness of sexual assault.  It's all wrong, but it's not all equal.

I agree with that too, as I think most people do. But as the linked story said in the intro, that's where the interview BEGINS. Did you keep reading? It goes seriously downhill from there as he talks about specific examples and basically lets everyone off the hook, especially if he knows them personally - like in the case of Casey Affleck ("I know the real story if it's my friend.") Oh, hurray! We just need Matt Damon to be friends with everyone and then he'll know the real story and nothing bad will ever happen to women again! 

• Love 9
6 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

True, however if I went to work and told my boss to fuck off I could be fired.  Someone else could have been fired for physically assaulting the same boss, and it is not really considered important to point out that the two aren't equivalent and it is even understandable that neither should be tolerated at work. I think we should be sure that Hollywood is really changing first.

• Love 8
7 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

The problem with Damon talking about different tiers is that it implies the punishments being handed down right now, which are looking similar, are at the top of the punishment ladder and everyone's getting the max.  That's not the case. 

This is kind of piggybacking on @raezen's post but we do have separate tiers for different offenses and they're recognized as such in the fact that we have criminal offenses (which range from misdemeanors to jail time) and civil offenses which sometimes can be dealt with in court but are often settled on an employment level.  I believe we all know that criminal cases for sexual assault are difficult even if the person is arrested and the prosecutor decides to prosecute, which they often don't. Heck, even groping can be considered an assault but the cops and prosecutors don't have the inclination or resources to go after everyone who is considered "handsy."

However, the bar for losing one's job is much lower because of the concept of at will employment.  All they need is to believe that the person they're firing is guilty of acting inappropriately, whatever that inappropriate behavior is.  (And I do believe that, when it comes to these huge money makers, it's not mere whispers that are getting them shown the door.  I believe these are people the companies knew were inappropriate but only took action once they couldn't cover any longer.) 

The lowest punishment, other than it totally being ignored, is sexual harassment training.  That usually doesn't work with repeat offenders. Then firing is usually the next step.  And that's where we are.  People are getting fired. It's serious but there aren't many lawsuits.  The criminal cases aren't happening.  The [mostly repeat]* offenders are just losing their jobs.  In a perfect world, the Weinsteins and Danny Mastersons would be prosecuted for rape while the Frankens and C.K.s would likely just lose their employment.  But since those criminal cases aren't happening, it's all being dealt with on an employment level. 

If it looks like different offenses are being judged the same, it's because our system still has issues when it comes to the criminal side of this story which is where the more serious cases belong.  And I bet Matt Damon looks at that and thinks "sure, fire the rapists but the gropers...?"  He's lowering the bar. 

*And it has mostly been repeat offenders.  Not everyone is being ostracized. 

• Love 17

The problem with Damon talking about different tiers is that it implies the punishments being handed down right now, which are looking similar, are at the top of the punishment ladder and everyone's getting the max.  That's not the case. 

[...] If it looks like different offenses are being judged the same, it's because our system still has issues when it comes to the criminal side of this story which is where the more serious cases belong.  And I bet Matt Damon looks at that and thinks "sure, fire the rapists but the gropers...?"  He's lowering the bar. 

I also suspect that Damon's list of the "maximum" punishment includes the court of public opinion. Being blasted on social media, getting a bunch of thinkpieces written about you, tarnishing your reputation, and then the more active reprimands (though it sadly doesn't even come to this for a lot of people) losing your job, having people boycott your movie, having greenlit projects dropped, etc. How else do you define entitlement? What makes him think you're entitled to keep your job and continue to work in the same way and have people continue to respect and be nice to you after ANY of the things these guys have done? In a lot of cases, these are workplace offenses. 

And so I say boo effing hoo. You know what the maximum punishment actually is? Jail time. 

• Love 9

I just read an article that says that The Post took nine months from pre-production to release, including six weeks of initial filming, three weeks of editing to get a cut to John Williams for scoring, and then re-shooting pickups and complete editing.

22 hours ago, hendersonrocks said:

I agree with that too, as I think most people do. But as the linked story said in the intro, that's where the interview BEGINS. Did you keep reading? It goes seriously downhill from there as he talks about specific examples and basically lets everyone off the hook, especially if he knows them personally - like in the case of Casey Affleck ("I know the real story if it's my friend.") Oh, hurray! We just need Matt Damon to be friends with everyone and then he'll know the real story and nothing bad will ever happen to women again! 

I did read it all, but was commenting on the part with which I agreed.  Because I do think that aspect is being lost in the wave of outrage.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 1