Type keyword(s) to search

The Business: News, Rumours, Analysis, and More

• Start Topic

19 minutes ago, Dejana said:

Maximus here to save the day for movie theaters! Sorry, Nolan: 🙂

Seriously, I have never heard of this until now. It screams "straight to VOD" and a definite notch below "straight to Netflix" action movies.

I just posted about this in the Trailers thread. They're banking on us being reeeallly starved for a movie.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, Silver Raven said:

Does this interfere with Oscar nominations?

I don't think so.

With movie theaters shuttered and film festivals canceled due to the coronavirus pandemic, films once slated for the big screen are now premiering in people's homes, streaming on digital platforms or showing as video on demand. In an unprecedented move, the board governing the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences will allow movies that originally had theatrical release dates but are now being screened online to be eligible to be considered for awards.

• Useful 2
2 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

I just posted about this in the Trailers thread. They're banking on us being reeeallly starved for a movie.

Hey. When I finally risk going to a movie theater it will be for the likes of  Black Widow and Wonder Woman.

• Love 4

Academy debuts new Oscars diversity plans, sets 10 Best Picture nominees

Interesting changes.  I don't understand how them setting 10 Best Picture Nominees will help with diversity, but we'll see.  They are moving to a digital Academy Screening Room by making films released year-round accessible to voting members, which will hopefully get more of them to watch more of the movies in contention.  And, Ava DuVernay is now on the board.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Shannon L. said:

Academy debuts new Oscars diversity plans, sets 10 Best Picture nominees

Interesting changes.  I don't understand how them setting 10 Best Picture Nominees will help with diversity, but we'll see.  They are moving to a digital Academy Screening Room by making films released year-round accessible to voting members, which will hopefully get more of them to watch more of the movies in contention.  And, Ava DuVernay is now on the board.

The requirement that a movie had to be number one on 5 percent of the ballots to get into Best Picture, kept out movies that people would feel comfortable putting in a Top 10 list, but not as a #1. Things like Straight Outta Compton and Crazy Rich Asians probably would have made a Top 10 Best Picture race. You get animation and more blockbusters that weren't necessarily released with Oscar hopes, but were well liked and reviewed. Smaller movies with passionate support also made the race in those two years it was a Top 10. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 1
(edited)
6 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

The presumptive Best Picture of 2020, baby! (or Most Apt, anyway.)

He must have made some really bad business investments.

There was an NBC t.v. movie with the exact same plot starring Yasmine Bleeth and Jere Burns in 1999.

Edited by methodwriter85

Sony is also releasing a rom-com produced by Selena Gomez on July 10th.

Mulan on the 24th will be the real test. 

(edited)
3 hours ago, BetterButter said:

Regal also switched to requiring masks after AMC negative press. 

I am wondering if this change means people will be more likely to return to movie theaters. Personally I’m glad they are requiring them but it’s isn’t a deciding factor. I’m more interested in a contactless experience and how much distance there will be between seats. 

Edited by Guest
(edited)

Summer 2020 movies: Here are the new release dates

This is about the action movies, but does anyone know where to find a more comprehensive list of movies that are being pushed and what their new release dates are?  I'm guessing that by the time new movies are getting back to a normal rate of release, we'll be into Oscar award hopefuls season (even though that's also been pushed).  Of the movies that are highlighted in the article, the earliest release is in September (which is when Kingsman, not included on the list, will be released), and 4 of them are pushed well into next year.  It'll be interesting to see the movie listings when things open in July. I know AMC said that it will be showing classic movies as well as new releases.  I'm not sure I'd risk getting sick over a classic, no matter how much I loved it the first time around.  I told my husband that I would probably only go to action movies that I was excited about and for the action movies that look interesting, but I'm unsure of, I'd go to only after good critiques and word of mouth.

Edited by Shannon L.
1 hour ago, Shannon L. said:

but does anyone know where to find a more comprehensive list of movies that are being pushed and what their new release dates are?

The big budget actioners are the only ones that are for sure going into theaters. They must to get the studios' ROI. All mid-budget or lower will definitely see where the wind is blowing before committing to a theatrical release.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Netflix is coming out with a movie called Enola Holmes, based on a series of books about Sherlock Holmes's teenage sister.  The Conan Doyle estate is suing, even though the character is in the public domain, because Sherlock's character has emotions.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/25/21302942/netflix-enola-holmes-sherlock-arthur-conan-doyle-estate-lawsuit-copyright-infringement

So funny. There are so many adaptations these days, I wonder why they pounce on this one. I'm a fan of Laurie King's books where Holmes falls in love and is GASP! married! That should certainly qualify for having emotions.

21 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Netflix is coming out with a movie called Enola Holmes, based on a series of books about Sherlock Holmes's teenage sister.  The Conan Doyle estate is suing, even though the character is in the public domain, because Sherlock's character has emotions.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/25/21302942/netflix-enola-holmes-sherlock-arthur-conan-doyle-estate-lawsuit-copyright-infringement

So ridiculous and, if I’m reading right, they’ve already been shut down on the idea that Sherlock being a more well rounded character is protected. They probably are just hoping that Netflix will settle.

They only have two years left before the copyright expires entirely. 

3 hours ago, supposebly said:

So funny. There are so many adaptations these days, I wonder why they pounce on this one. I'm a fan of Laurie King's books where Holmes falls in love and is GASP! married! That should certainly qualify for having emotions.

They gone after other adaptations.  They don’t care as long as the licensing fee is paid. 

(edited)

So the big-budget films, Tenet and Mulan, got pushed back yet again. I assume that until NYC and LA are fully(mostly?) open no tentpole will be released in the U.S.

Any chance at all that the studios might release them in other countries (that have the pandemic more under control) before the U.S.A.? Or is the U.S.A. market too big to ignore?

Edited by Trini
32 minutes ago, Trini said:

So the big-budget films, Tenet and Mulan, got pushed back yet again. I assume that until NYC and LA are fully(mostly?) open no tentpole will be released in the U.S.

Any chance at all that the studios might release them in other countries (that have the pandemic more under control) before the U.S.A.? Or is the U.S.A. market too big to ignore?

Maybe if Chinese theaters were open but that keeps getting pushed back too. They get a smaller percentage from the international box office so the US market is too big to ignore. 

I wonder if it will reach a point they release a tentpole without NYC and LA. If they wait too long their in danger of not having theaters to screen the movies. 

In other movie news Walmart is going to turning parking lots into Drive-ins. 
Walmart And Tribeca Partner On Drive-In Movie Series In Retailer’s Parking Lots

On 7/3/2020 at 3:11 AM, Dani said:

I wonder if it will reach a point they release a tentpole without NYC and LA. If they wait too long their in danger of not having theaters to screen the movies. 

I wonder if studios would consider releasing new movies in Canada but not the US? Cases are a lot more under control here to the point where theatres could potentially open soon (there was only around 220 new cases in the whole country yesterday). Canada is part of the North American movie market, so if a big movie was released here it could be the number one movie in North America.

(edited)
On 7/5/2020 at 9:32 AM, Kel Varnsen said:

I wonder if studios would consider releasing new movies in Canada but not the US? Cases are a lot more under control here to the point where theatres could potentially open soon (there was only around 220 new cases in the whole country yesterday). Canada is part of the North American movie market, so if a big movie was released here it could be the number one movie in North America.

They fear piracy and the movie showing up in the homes if they are released anywhere but in the largest markets, the US and China. They are hoping to hold on until the fear is gone and the theatres don't want their customers to conclude that their own home theatres are better than their's in the meantime. 

About the only advantage left to the traditional movie theatre  model is that you get to see it sooner because the home market is locked out. Give that up and all you have TV without commercial interruptions

Edited by Raja

However, the government-mandated total closure of movie theatres is neither fair nor reasonable, and is instead a violation of Plaintiffs’ First Amendment rights of freedom of speech and freedom of expression, Equal Protection of the laws, Due Process under the law, and is a Taking of property without just compensation."

*Rolls eyes* Can we please stop with this argument already, people? 

I could understand some confusion over what is and isn't being allowed to reopen to some degree, and I could understand businesses taking issue with the lack of consistency on that matter. But there can also be specific reasons why some places are allowed to open while others aren't, and it's worth taking that aspect into account, too.

But this way of framing it just seems so overdramatic. 

• Love 7
21 hours ago, Annber03 said:

I could understand some confusion over what is and isn't being allowed to reopen to some degree, and I could understand businesses taking issue with the lack of consistency on that matter. But there can also be specific reasons why some places are allowed to open while others aren't, and it's worth taking that aspect into account, too.

Most of the re-openings in NJ are on the condition that it can be done safely. (Restaurants can only have outside dining, non-essential construction is limited to crews of 10 people or less, etc...). I don't think it's possible for movie theaters to re-open in a manner that is safe.

(Unless they want to turn their parking lots into drive ins).

• Love 4

Zendaya and John David Washington have started and wrapped a whole movie during quarantine:

More here about all the Covid safety protocols on set.

I wonder how many other secret movies have been filming since the pandemic began, especially with big stars. I guess we're going to be getting a lot of movies with small casts and limited sets for the foreseeable future.

• Useful 5
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, Dejana said:

Zendaya and John David Washington have started and wrapped a whole movie during quarantine:

More here about all the Covid safety protocols on set.

I wonder how many other secret movies have been filming since the pandemic began, especially with big stars. I guess we're going to be getting a lot of movies with small casts and limited sets for the foreseeable future.

I need this movie NOW. LOL

• Love 1

'Tenet' Tosses Playbook: Staggered Rollout May Be New Box Office "Normal"

Studio insiders said the espionage epic will go out first overseas, where cinemas have reopened in many European and Asian countries, and have begun to reopen in China.

Warners isn't yet giving exact dates, but sources elsewhere say Tenet hopes to begin opening in international markets in late August before arriving in the U.S. in the first part of September, even if only in select cities. They stress the situation is fluid, however.

(edited)
On 7/22/2020 at 5:31 PM, kiddo82 said:

This is the very reason why I continue to purchase hard copies.  Too much shuffling and no guarantee it's available to stream forever.

There is nothing I'll want to watch more than a few times that I don't have on DVD/Blu-Ray; I want to be able to watch it any place (not just within my home, but taking it to a friend's house for movie night), any time, in perpetuity, not at the whim of a streaming service's comings and goings or a hard drive's technical issues (the latter being one of the reasons why I don't have a DVR; I record to a disc via DVD-R [or sometimes to a tape via VCR if it's something I know I'll only want to watch once and can't easily locate a disc with room], because far too many people I know have had their DVR crap out without any ability to restore what was on it).  Plus, DVD/Blu-Ray generally comes with special features.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 6