Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

So there's this "cordless" thing that's a combination fan and light. You just screw it into normal light sockets. Which have wires/cords. So the "cordless" term is just thrown in there to make it sound fancier. Oy. 

• LOL 4

I saw a Lume/Mando combo commercial. 

The full body deodorant craze is booming.  I can't remember buying anything other than Secret including travel size for so long that I don't pay attention to other brands.

But Secret's full body deodorant ad is so annoying that I'm switching. Recommendations accepted 

• Applause 1

I hate the ads that take up, like, an entire commercial break that come off more like one of those infomercials

Case in point: the ad for Meaningful Beauty. It goes on and on and on. And notice how Cindy Crawford's age isn't mentioned anymore. Magical melon cream keeps Cindy looking fabulous! Suuuuuuuure. 

• Like 7
  • LOL 3
8 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Not buying and using a product that's working for me would be like cutting off my nose to spite my face. My husband and I both use Secret, have for decades. Not changing because of a commercial.

I don't see why people need this at all unless you work a sweaty job in close quarters with other people. Or you just like to go days without showering! 

• Like 3
7 hours ago, xls said:

I don't see why people need this at all unless you work a sweaty job in close quarters with other people. Or you just like to go days without showering! 

I wasn't referring to the 72-hour Secret product, just plain old Secret. I don't have a need for a 72-hour deodorant. I'm not going to stop using regular Secret that has worked for me for decades because Secret has now come out with and are advertising a 72-hour product. That is what makes no sense to me.

Edited by chessiegal
  • Like 5
  • Applause 1
20 hours ago, tres bien said:

The full body deodorant craze is booming.  I can't remember buying anything other than Secret including travel size for so long that I don't pay attention to other brands.

But Secret's full body deodorant ad is so annoying that I'm switching. Recommendations accepted 

I switched to Suave years ago because it's less expensive than Secret and worked just as well for me.

20 hours ago, mmecorday said:

Case in point: the ad for Meaningful Beauty. It goes on and on and on. And notice how Cindy Crawford's age isn't mentioned anymore. Magical melon cream keeps Cindy looking fabulous! Suuuuuuuure. 

Yep, the genetic luck of the draw had nothing to do with that.  It's all the melon cream.

• Like 5
3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Yep, the genetic luck of the draw had nothing to do with that.  It's all the melon cream.

That's why I roll my eyes at the version of the commercial that includes her mom.  I'm not going to buy that this magical melon is why Cindy Crawford is gorgeous, period, but to actually show me her genetic leg up seems rather foolish from a marketing perspective.

• Like 4

Well, just saw the 500th fucking “full-body” commercial (which I muted as soon as I heard one of the buzzwords…”all over”).  You can’t swing a dead cat without one of these assailing your eardrums & eyeballs.

I would love for Jason Kelce to start running counterpoint ads (#IYKYK)…his latest rant is his confession he only washes his “hot zones” and anyone else who says different is in thrall to Big Soap 🤣 

Speaking as an in-betweener myself, I believe Jason is our last line of defense.  

• Like 1
  • LOL 9
9 hours ago, voiceover said:

I would love for Jason Kelce to start running counterpoint ads (#IYKYK)…his latest rant is his confession he only washes his “hot zones” and anyone else who says different is in thrall to Big Soap 🤣 

I cannot remember which celebrity couple it is but wealthy enough to afford hot water but do not believe in bathing their children very often...I guess they wait till someone tells them their kids stink?

• Mind Blown 1
20 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

The full body deodorant craze is booming. 

Turns out that Lume was acquired by Harry's in 2021, so that's where the money came from to flood the ad market and create an entirely new product category.

• Useful 7

So hear me out:

It appears that the “full-body” craze is the most hated of the “Commercials That Annoy, Irritate, or Outright Enrage”, with that Lume chick leading the pack.

Why don’t we dedicate a single thread to them, and all of us take it in turn to post, avowing our undying loathing for the product & its pushers; then a mod can lock the thread and sunset it; then: hey presto! the commercials will be gone, because we have willed it so!

Eh.  Just a thought.

• LOL 10
4 hours ago, SG429 said:

Turns out that Lume was acquired by Harry's in 2021, so that's where the money came from to flood the ad market and create an entirely new product category.

This probably explains why I think Harry's ads are as annoying as hell too

Edited by tres bien
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I cannot remember which celebrity couple it is but wealthy enough to afford hot water but do not believe in bathing their children very often...I guess they wait till someone tells them their kids stink?

I just realized I should have answered in Small Talk, so I moved it there.

Edited by Bastet

The newest iteration of the Jardiance ad/jingle with the black guy as the 'star performer' takes what was already crazy cheesy to a new level. It's so over the top that it actually makes me laugh.

Speaking of laughing, the latest Mando ad with the Da Vinci Vitruvian Man talking about how he needs help because he has extra arms is pretty funny (and I still hate Dr. Shannon and all her works).

• Like 1

Yes, Lume and all the associated products and ads are repulsive; the message that human beings by definition have an offensive odor is entirely disrespectful.  So this is a minor quibble, but the one in which Dr Shannon talks about how “they (women) are made to feel bad about odor on other parts of OUR bodies” makes the grammar Nazi in me scream.  Just another reason to disregard the whole slew of them!

• Like 4
5 hours ago, OldStandard said:

So this is a minor quibble, but the one in which Dr Shannon talks about how “they (women) are made to feel bad about odor on other parts of OUR bodies” makes the grammar Nazi in me scream.

I was so offended by the message and by her not recognizing that she's doing exactly what she's accusing "Them" of doing that I didn't even pick up on the grammar issue.  Stannis Baratheon would be so disappointed.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1