Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

I'm 99.9% positive the whole thing is a marketing ploy.

I only saw it once, but here goes:

There's a truck driving down a country road, adorable yellow lab puppies in the back. They hit a bump, and a puppy goes flying and lands (gently) on some grass. Then quick cuts of the puppy valiantly fighting his way over hill and dale through all kinds of weather, finally running up the driveway and into a picturesque barn at home. The lady is ecstatic to see him, scoops him up, and cries out, "you're home!"

"I'm so glad because I just sold you online via a website from GoDaddy!" And then the last shot is of the puppy whimpering in a box as the van doors close on him and pull away.

I'm not even a "my puppy is my child" type of person, but I thought it was horrible. He tries so hard to get home, just to get shipped out again. Awful.

eta: I just found it again on Today's website. GoDaddy must not have enough legal pull to make them take it down.

What I findmost shocking about that ad is the lack of skimpily-clad women!

The Seymour Butts ads are back.  Make them stop!  Make! Them! Stop!  Hey, Jane Seymour, when you open your heart with a scalpel, love will not find its way in.  Okay?  So stop opening hearts and twisting them into ass jewelry.  

• Love 10

Dammit, I shouldn't have caved and watched the Go Daddy ad. Now I feel like the puppy in the adorable Budweiser ad that will air on TV this Sunday is the same puppy, since he shows such a predilection for escaping moving vehicles. I don't want to think that nice farmer is buying puppies online.

He must be buying them online.  It seems most convenient for someone who seems to need a new puppy every January.  What did he do with last year's puppy?

Edited by janie jones
  • Love 5

He must be buying them online.  It seems most convenient for someone who seems to need a new puppy every January.  What did he do with last year's puppy?

I have to thank you for this.  Because seriously, every time I thought about that Budweiser ad, people would come in and dust and chop onions like nobody's business.  But now I can hold on to that thought.

Although truly, it's not the guy so much as the Clydesdales . . . damnit!  Someone must have started dusting in here again!!

• Love 4

I know this has been mentioned but I can not fully express how much I hate the ads for Frank's Red Hot Sauce. Not only do they make me not want to buy the crap, but they make me determined to never let it pass the doors of my house & convince people it is made from the blood of puppies & if they use it they will live in a special hell full of smart ass tweens speaking only in text speak for eternity.

http://youtu.be/BRnJyR0uzjA

Btw, I used cloth diapers & cloth wipes with both my children & loved them, to an oddly sales pitch degree, but no way would I be all in on reusable toliet paper. Some things need to be one use only.

• Love 1

OK, I finally had enough and have to vent. Those Wayfair commercials are so incredibly stupid - you know, the ones where all the actors are doing some crazy dancing around? I thought maybe the first one was just a holiday ad, but now they have a regular one running. I hope those actors got well-paid, that's all.

Edited by peggy06
  • Love 1

The Seymour Butts ads are back.  Make them stop!  Make! Them! Stop!  Hey, Jane Seymour, when you open your heart with a scalpel, love will not find its way in.  Okay?  So stop opening hearts and twisting them into ass jewelry.  

"Ass jewelry" is seriously the funniest thing I've heard all week.

• Love 3

Back to the razors for a second...I find those commercials hilarious.  Where I live (280,000 population), we can't buy razor blades by just throwing them into the cart.  In most stores we have to take a price card from the place where the blades would be (kind of like buying a big or heavy item at home depot), take it to the checkout, and the checkout person will go get the precious cargo.  I didn't think it was because of theft though; I always thought it was a method of suicide prevention!!

Regarding the Go Daddy ad - it is a little emotional at the end, but don't most people whose dogs have puppies sell them to other homes?  Isn't that pretty much how we all got dogs?  I don't understand how that would be considered cruelty.

In a country in which it's estimated that 2-3 million dogs are euthanized in shelters each year for the simple fact there are that many more of them than homes for them, these fools breeding dogs out of their barn and selling the puppies online are not people I want to see in commercials.  Their attitude is just rancid icing on the cake.

• Love 11

Regarding the Go Daddy ad - it is a little emotional at the end, but don't most people whose dogs have puppies sell them to other homes?  Isn't that pretty much how we all got dogs?  I don't understand how that would be considered cruelty.

At the end, when the dog is getting shipped off, the side of the truck is like "Betty's Puppies" or whatever, so the lady is definitely some type of breeder, not someone whose dog got knocked up when she was let out to go pee.

• Love 3

My boss and a couple of coworkers and I were casually discussing the GoDaddy puppy ad while waiting for our lunch orders today, and my boss says, "Some people are so sensitive today; you can't say anything!" This from a private-schooled privileged white male of 32(!) (who grosses seven figures) and his like colleages. Me, the lone woman in the group (age 40, $45K), raised by a poor single mother of three, could not roll my eyes hard enough. I suspected he was clueless about his privilege; I have confirmation now.

• Love 10

The ones I hate, hate, hate are those commercials for natural gas with the lovely blond in the black pantsuit criss-crossing the country telling us how they SAFELY are getting the gas by fracking the hell out of the earth.

Fracking is not safe and that his woman is willing to sell her soul to promote this practice infuriates me.

I agree. I notice she very quickly and in a somewhat lower voice says the words "fracturing technology". Maybe hoping no one will notice? Especially if it is not referred to by the more common "fracking". 

Edited by SoSueMe
  • Love 3

At the end, when the dog is getting shipped off, the side of the truck is like "Betty's Puppies" or whatever, so the lady is definitely some type of breeder, not someone whose dog got knocked up when she was let out to go pee.

Plus there's the fact that she sold the puppy while he was still missing . What if he had never come home?
  • Love 1

Well to be fair(ish), that's shady business practices, not animal cruelty (which is what the previous poster had been asking about).

Well, this is GoDaddy - showing shady business practices is practically truth in advertising.

• Love 5

People have said plenty about the eHarmony commercials so somebody may have mentioned this one already, but I just saw the one with the bridesmaids all falling into a heap in their desperation to catch the bouquet, with creeper old dude telling the catcher to increase her odds to "be next!" by using the site. Ugh, even without getting irritated at the creepy old man giving random dating tips to her, I hate the desperation!!! Why is every woman in the commercial so desperate to catch the bouquet, to the point they are fighting and falling down? Because we are all just so consumed with locking down the next warm body that walks by us, we're prepared to resort to physical violence during our friend's (of whom we're brutally jealous, of course) wedding, I guess.

• Love 7

I finally figured out what's been bothering me about the KFC commercial for their pot pies. The lady going "get yourself something nice" over and over again does not give me a "nice" vibe. It's more like the twin girls from The Shining going "Come play with us...for ever...and ever..."

• Love 3

I'm from the South Eastern part of Pennsylvania and the woman in the ad reminded of a puppy mill breeder from the Lancaster area. If this ad came out over a year ago I think it wouldn't bother me so much because I didn't know of any horror stories of puppy mills but my nephew adopted a rescue this year that came from a mill that was shut down for numerous violations or had been in operation at one time and the surviving dogs were left starving. I think that mill was in another state but still, it helps to google the online breeders to find out if they are running a puppy mill.
  • Love 2

Wow, CoolWhipLit. I can't imagine how that guy gets by day to day. Do you have similar reactions with certain sounds?

I'm in this boat too, particularly with wet chewing noises, constant coughing, and sniffling. And snoring, even just as a "funny" thing on TV.

It really sucks because not only do I have an amazing BF who has a snoring problem that makes me feel like I am actually mad at him (which in turn makes me feel terrible and sad), but I have a coworker, whom I like very much, but who can make any food sound like it's made of soggy swamp algae being squeezed through a whoopee cushion. While I know I have an issue, I can't help but blame people who just simply don't close their mouths while they are chewing. And then there are the people who seem to deliberately make noise while they eat, as if the fact that they're eating needs to be physically expressed. Gum is torture because it just doesn't end. Last night, on SNL, there was a skit with some football coach (rather, an SNL actor portraying a coach). I guess this particular coach is a frequent gum-chewer, because the actor was exaggeratedly open-mouth chewing with ridiculous force. I almost crawled out of my skin just seeing it (and you could hear it in the mic just a little too, oh my god--but I didn't change the channel because I was waiting for the delightful J.K. Simmons to show up). Another one is one of the detectives on Barney Miller (which, for some reason, I keep watching late at night on the Antenna TV channel); I hate the character based on his gum-chewing alone, even though I can't hear it. I am not too upset by crunchy sounds if the person making them is eating with a closed mouth; those just happen whether a person is a polite eater or not.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 2

I'm not bothered as much by the online selling of puppies aspect of that GoDaddy ad - although there are definitely some horrible stories out there about puppy mills - but rather that it's just mean. Poor little guy has run his heart out to get to what he thinks of as "home", just to be scooped up and sent off, all his struggle for nothing.

• Love 11

The Subpar Bowel...uh, I mean Super Bowl... commercials didn't fail to disappoint this year:

• Patrick Warburton for some car rental place where he acts like an egomaniacal douche.
  • An ad for some new Mountain Dew branded drink that probably tastes like wildebeest bile, featuring a twerking dog and a "dancing" deer that appears to be having a seizure.
  • A Carl's Jr. ad that basically says "Buy our new burger, because scantily clad woman with big boobs!"
  • A couple of different ads for some guy's new Space Pudding Music To Fall Asleep By.

And that's just during the first half hour or so of the pregame show, after which I changed channels to watch the Puppy Bowl.

• Love 1

A Carl's Jr. ad that basically says "Buy our new burger, because scantily clad woman with big boobs!"

To be fair, that describes all Carl's Jr ads. Nothing particular to it being a Superbowl spot. (Not saying that's any good, just, it's their current marketing strategy and has been for a few years.) Edited by theatremouse
  • Love 2

"Subpar" is right about the SB commercials this year, and that Nationwide ad was a serious fail.  Besides being incredibly depressing (was that kid supposed to be a ghost?) my skin was crawling after they showed the "cootie bugs" flying off of his head.  We don't need to see everything, folks.

Edited by Amethyst
  • Love 3

To be fair, that describes all Carl's Jr ads. Nothing particular to it being a Superbowl spot. (Not saying that's any good, just, it's their current marketing strategy and has been for a few years.)

To me, this one seemed to be a big poke in the eye to people who complain about Carl's Jr use of sex in their ads. "You don't like seeing sexy woman in our ads? Well get a load of this."

"Subpar" is right about the SB commercials this year, and that Nationwide ad was a serious fail.  Besides being incredibly depressing (was that kid supposed to be a ghost?) my skin was crawling after they showed the "cootie bugs" flying off of his head.  We don't need to see everything, folks.

I was really bothered by that commercial. Here I'm watching the superbowl to be entertained, I don't want to watch something that depressing. I don't mind emotionally cute commercials but not something about a kid that who died from an accident. It would be one thing if it was a don't drink and drive commercial that would have been powerful.

• Love 2

I didn't watch most of the Superbowl, so I didn't see that Nationwide ad in real time.  But I just looked it up and it is HORRIBLE.  Besides the depressing subject matter, there is just something jarring in the sort of casual way it's presented.  I can't explain it properly but while the subject matter is depressing, the commercial itself is sort of cutesy.  Down to the fake cooties jumping around the bus.  Way to cheapen something incredibly tragic, there, Nationwide.

• Love 2

I watched it based on all the posts here and I didn't think it was that bad.  It's just saying the number one killer of kids is preventable accidents.  Is it because it's sad?  or sad and during the Super Bowl?   Regardless, it sure is getting people talking about it, exactly what the company wanted.

• Love 1

But insurance won't protect your kid from getting killed by poison.    Insurance will just compensate you AFTER your kid is dead.    

Besides the SUper Bowl is supposed to be a party.    It's not about people dying.

• Love 7

I thought it was odd because it was all about preventable accidents, but never bothered to say how Nationwide would help parents prevent those accidents, just tossed up some hashtag on the screen.  So they have only themselves to blame for those who came away thinking, "So, if a TV falls on my kid and kills him, Nationwide will pay for it?  That is their sales pitch?!"

Up until the non-ending, I thought it was fine -- especially those cute cooties.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1

But insurance won't protect your kid from getting killed by poison.    Insurance will just compensate you AFTER your kid is dead.   

Besides the SUper Bowl is supposed to be a party.    It's not about people dying.

I didn't see the ad last night, but how depressing. And eerie.