Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

4 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

Reminds me of the parents of a developmentally disabled client I worked with years ago. The parents kept having children until they ended up with a "normal' child. Once they finally had a child with no disabilities, they took their disabled children and dumped them into the system. I think they ended up with two or three developmentally disabled children before having a child without any problems.

Dear God!  Such horrible people!!

• Love 19
On 4/1/2018 at 10:59 AM, NinjaPenguins said:

I remember when a Planter’s commercial had Mr. Peanut asking “Are you tired of working for peanuts?” I thought he’d asked “Are you tired of working for penis?” It’s like, well, I’ve never tried it, but it sounds intriguing. Not something I’d expect to see advertised on television though.

My daughter used to call PB&J Penis Butter and Jelly.  Bless her.

• Love 13
On 4/5/2018 at 10:57 AM, Silver Raven said:

Little pooping monster toys.  I can just imagine those tiny poop things getting swallowed by kids and choking them.

This "toy" is so going to be a collector's item in a couple of decades.  It should be put in one of those time capsule boxes to be opened in 2118.  And the ad could be the spoofiest spoof ad ever. 

Edited by Brookside
  • Love 2

I've not seen the pooper toy item ad, I have to go to Walmart in the next couple of days when I feel better, need milk and juice and Mucinex, so I'll look. Being a doll collector and builder of rooms for my dolls, for several years, it was hard to find bathrooms and especially toilets that would work for my scale, 1:4, Barbie has bathrooms, they're too small. American Girl and same sized dolls now have a few bathroom items available. But a few years ago, I wanted to build a bathroom, came across a toddler doll set at Walmart and Target, finally bought it from Amazon, cheaper and came in frustration free packaging. I love frustration free packaging! Anyway, it's a toilet and sink joined together by a shelf unit. It's battery powered, makes running water sounds and flushing sounds and when you flush it turns a lever which has clear water on one side and poop on the other. Since I'm not really into poop in the toilet, I rarely lift the lid, but the flushing sound amuses me. There was also a doll who cheerfully sang, "go teetee in da toity." I gave her and the grooming accessories to one of the children's therapists at work. But I still sing, for no apparent reason, "go teetee in da toity!" A year or so later, I found a couple more at flea markets for $1 or $2. One is missing the toilet lid, but I have plans to use my dremel tool and practice on cutting it apart, sanding down all the cutesy hearts and other raised designs and painting it all something other than baby pink and blue. So, depending on the size of the pooping toilet, I might be interested, of course, I'd be sanding and painting it, that smiley face has got to go!

• Love 7

A couple of thoughts on the Shriners commercials. They can become a little wearing after so much play and also I agree that the kids are probably being shown without some of the prosthetics that hopefully Shriners provides. I have noticed in the more recent ones where Alex is older he seems to have lost some of his "sparkle", for lack of a better word. Almost like he is losing his fight. And that makes me sad if that's what I'm seeing. 

I've got to say that I can emotionally handle Shriners commercials better than most since they do have a positive slant compared to many others. The animal cruelty ones are just devastating to me and I think I work against myself on these since every donation I make seems to flood every website (including PTV) with pitiable ads showing sad, mistreated animals. Courtesy of the ASPCA. It has gotten to the point where I have to actively harden my heart to even use the computer. I will need to make donations anonymously from here on out since I guess they can track you.  

• Love 12
29 minutes ago, friendperidot said:

I've not seen the pooper toy item ad, I have to go to Walmart in the next couple of days when I feel better, need milk and juice and Mucinex, so I'll look. Being a doll collector and builder of rooms for my dolls, for several years, it was hard to find bathrooms and especially toilets that would work for my scale, 1:4, Barbie has bathrooms, they're too small. American Girl and same sized dolls now have a few bathroom items available. But a few years ago, I wanted to build a bathroom, came across a toddler doll set at Walmart and Target, finally bought it from Amazon, cheaper and came in frustration free packaging. I love frustration free packaging! Anyway, it's a toilet and sink joined together by a shelf unit. It's battery powered, makes running water sounds and flushing sounds and when you flush it turns a lever which has clear water on one side and poop on the other. Since I'm not really into poop in the toilet, I rarely lift the lid, but the flushing sound amuses me. There was also a doll who cheerfully sang, "go teetee in da toity." I gave her and the grooming accessories to one of the children's therapists at work. But I still sing, for no apparent reason, "go teetee in da toity!" A year or so later, I found a couple more at flea markets for $1 or $2. One is missing the toilet lid, but I have plans to use my dremel tool and practice on cutting it apart, sanding down all the cutesy hearts and other raised designs and painting it all something other than baby pink and blue. So, depending on the size of the pooping toilet, I might be interested, of course, I'd be sanding and painting it, that smiley face has got to go!

I must say that I have read the above post probably 10 times and cannot stop laughing. When I go to the supermarket later, I just know that while standing in line I am going to think of this of this post and crack up. It's pure awesomeness.

Edited by configdotsys
Because a post makes a whole lot more sense when you don't leave out a critical word.
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, Brookside said:

This "toy" is so going to be a collector's item in a couple of decades.  It should be put in one of those time capsule boxes to be opened in 2118.  And the ad could be the spoofiest spoof ad ever. 

I looked at them on Amazon after I read this post. Things range from 27 to 35 dollars. Not cheap.

• Love 3
18 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

Reminds me of the parents of a developmentally disabled client I worked with years ago. The parents kept having children until they ended up with a "normal' child. Once they finally had a child with no disabilities, they took their disabled children and dumped them into the system. I think they ended up with two or three developmentally disabled children before having a child without any problems.

I have worked with families who have tried to "give up" children who were difficult to raise, only to be told by DCFS that they would risk being considered unfit parents, and could lose their other kids as well.

• Love 5
57 minutes ago, configdotsys said:

This year's Toy Fair was all about the poop:

Poop Toys are In!

WTF?! ^^^^^^^^

And what made the tax refund company (forgot the name) think that Bob Eubanks would be a great spokesperson for their company? I look at it and say "Bob WHOBanks?"

Edited by chenoa333
  • Love 1

Not sure how prevalent these ads are nationwide but they are on a lot in Canada...Gibson’s Finest whiskey.  They feature this incredibly bland “bro-dude” who turns a dreary, dead bar into a super party just by ordering a shot of Gibson’s.  One of the ads has the hipster bartender putting his hands together prayer-style and mouthing “thank-you” at the dude for saving his night.  The spokes-bro is just so tremendously bland in every way...there is just no way this guy is actually bringing the party anywhere!  He’s supposed to be super smooth and dreamy or something but it just doesn’t work at all.  He’s just this anonymous nobody with a cheezy cheap leather jacket (or in one ad a cheap suit) like a million other boring dudes walking around bars everywhere...

maybe that’s the point, lol.  “Gibson’s!  It brings the fun no matter how much of a plank you are!”

Edited by Zevious Zoquis
  • Love 3
On 4/14/2018 at 6:20 PM, bigskygirl said:

On 4/14/2018 at 3:36 PM, Brattinella said:

I don't think you are a bitch about this.  It is IMO the responsibility of the parents to PREVENT such a disability being foisted on their helpless children.  That's what amniocentesis is for. 

! agree with 100%. I had Amniocentesis done  because Downs syndrome runs in my family. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Zevious Zoquis said:

Not sure how prevalent these ads are nationwide but they are on a lot in Canada...Gibson’s Finest whiskey.  They feature this incredibly bland “bro-dude” who turns a dreary, dead bar into a super party just by ordering a shot of Gibson’s.  One of the ads has the hipster bartender putting his hands together prayer-style and mouthing “thank-you” at the dude for saving his night.  The spokes-bro is just so tremendously bland in every way...there is just no way this guy is actually bringing the party anywhere!  He’s supposed to be super smooth and dreamy or something but it just doesn’t work at all.  He’s just this anonymous nobody with a cheezy cheap leather jacket (or in one ad a cheap suit) like a million other boring dudes walking around bars everywhere...

maybe that’s the point, lol.  “Gibson’s!  It brings the fun no matter how much of a plank you are!”

Aww, he's not that bad! And I laughed when I noticed that the bartender's hair and clothes changed, too.

• Love 1
On ‎4‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 4:03 AM, MaryPatShelby said:

But that's the point of the ad - that no one would ever do that, but isn't it great that there's a company (whose name I can't even remember!) that will do that for you?

I think it's Home Advisor for that particular one, but Angie's List is the other big one.

I found a great local electrician through Home Advisor.  He was an older man, retired after being an electrician for almost 40 years.  Always did good work, was prompt, and reasonably priced.

• Love 1

Those Cancer Treatment Centers of America commercials get more insulting all the time. (Full disclosure: both of my parents had cancer and my sympathy for people affected by the horrible disease knows no bounds.) I really don't get how they can get away with all their bullshit claims. I guess putting up a chyron that says "results not typical" absolves them of the fact that they don't actually have the cure for cancer. The doctors seem so smug and superior. "We are the only ones on the planet who know how to treat cancer and we do it with hugs and drugs." Oh, well let me put on my tennis shoes and jog right over to one of your treatment centers where someone will tell me how to eat and pray for me while I'm undergoing treatment! Just please stop. My mother's radiologist called me in tears when he found out she died. You do not have a monopoly on human compassion, CTCA.

• Love 18
5 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

Those Cancer Treatment Centers of America commercials get more insulting all the time. (Full disclosure: both of my parents had cancer and my sympathy for people affected by the horrible disease knows no bounds.) I really don't get how they can get away with all their bullshit claims. I guess putting up a chyron that says "results not typical" absolves them of the fact that they don't actually have the cure for cancer. The doctors seem so smug and superior. "We are the only ones on the planet who know how to treat cancer and we do it with hugs and drugs." Oh, well let me put on my tennis shoes and jog right over to one of your treatment centers where someone will tell me how to eat and pray for me while I'm undergoing treatment! Just please stop. My mother's radiologist called me in tears when he found out she died. You do not have a monopoly on human compassion, CTCA.

Google tells me that they are "for profit" . So.....I guess that colors my opinion somewhat too.

• Love 12
On 4/9/2018 at 3:45 PM, Moose135 said:

I remember this commercial on TV when I was a kid.  I thought, gee that lucky kid gets to eat spaghetti once a week!  My Mom didn't like Italian food. :(
Also, regarding the commercial, I wondered - this lady is screaming out for "ANTHONY" in what seems like a section of little Italy in some big city.  How come 50 Anthony's didn't come running down the same alley?

• Love 12
12 minutes ago, Ubiquitous said:

Dammit, that confusing ad with the employee getting in trouble for being late to work b/c his boss smells steakhouse on him is back!

I don't understand what's confusing about it -- he's late because he had a nice long lunch at a steakhouse, lies and tells his boss it was a doctor's appointment that kept him, his boss knows he's lying because he can sniff steakhouse on his shirt, and if he'd used the super-duper fabric softener (Downy, I think) that repels odors for 24 hours, he'd have gotten away with it.

Yep, it's Downy:

Edited by Bastet
10 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I don't understand what's confusing about it -- he's late because he had a nice long lunch at a steakhouse, lies and tells his boss it was a doctor's appointment that kept him, his boss knows he's lying because he can sniff steakhouse on his shirt, and if he'd used the super-duper fabric softener (Downy, I think) that repels odors for 24 hours, he'd have gotten away with it.

Yep, it's Downy:

It seems to me that he washed the shirt after going to the steakhouse, or something.  It's very confusing.

• Love 5
17 minutes ago, HighMaintenance said:

Also, regarding the commercial, I wondered - this lady is screaming out for "ANTHONY" in what seems like a section of little Italy in some big city.  How come 50 Anthony's didn't come running down the same alley?

Because you always know the sound of your mother's voice when she's hollering out the window for you!

• Love 7
5 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

It seems to me that he washed the shirt after going to the steakhouse, or something. 

No, the Downy Odor Protect - allegedly - blocks odors from seeping into the fabric for 24 hours after washing.  That's the entire pitch of the ad - it conditions fibers to lock out odors for a day.  So, it would have to have been freshly laundered when he put it on (e.g. he washed it the night before), but, if so, it would have kept the steak grease smell from sticking to his shirt, and his boss wouldn't have known he was lying about where he was.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1
28 minutes ago, Bastet said:

No, the Downy Odor Protect - allegedly - blocks odors from seeping into the fabric for 24 hours after washing.  That's the entire pitch of the ad - it conditions fibers to lock out odors for a day.

Thanks, I never paid enough attention to the commercial to know how it was supposed to work.  As others, I assumed it meant washing it hadn't gotten the old steakhouse odor out of it.

• Love 4
42 minutes ago, Bastet said:

No, the Downy Odor Protect - allegedly - blocks odors from seeping into the fabric for 24 hours after washing.  That's the entire pitch of the ad - it conditions fibers to lock out odors for a day.  So, it would have to have been freshly laundered when he put it on (e.g. he washed it the night before), but, if so, it would have kept the steak grease smell from sticking to his shirt, and his boss wouldn't have known he was lying about where he was.

I didn't get from it, like Moose135, I thought the steakhouse smell was from a previous wearing, and had he used Downy, it wouldn't still smell like that.  So yeah, for some of us, the commercial is confusing.

• Love 4
On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 1:33 PM, SoSueMe said:

I've got to say that I can emotionally handle Shriners commercials better than most since they do have a positive slant compared to many others. The animal cruelty ones are just devastating to me and I think I work against myself on these since every donation I make seems to flood every website (including PTV) with pitiable ads showing sad, mistreated animals. Courtesy of the ASPCA. It has gotten to the point where I have to actively harden my heart to even use the computer. I will need to make donations anonymously from here on out since I guess they can track you.  

Sorry, SOSUEME, "anonymously" won't save you since they aren't tracking you by your name, but by your computer's IP address.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Bastet said:

This commercial never made any sense to me.   I thought he went home and washed his shirt and didn't understand why he was wearing the same shirt to work two days in a row.

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, Tunia said:

Sorry, SOSUEME, "anonymously" won't save you since they aren't tracking you by your name, but by your computer's IP address.

Oh geez. Thanks, I think. If I was a little more tech-savvy I could probably block the ads somehow.

7 hours ago, HighMaintenance said:

She was the only one in the neighborhood who didn't pronounce it "Ant-nee" ?? (ala Carla/Cheers, also Boston)

• Love 2

The one I can't stand right now is where the lady astronaut unlocks her husband's car from space with her phone. 

Why doesn't the guy just get the app on his own phone?  That would be my response if I were the wife.  Download the app yourself, lazy freak. 

• Love 20
15 hours ago, Tunia said:

More likely they're using cookies or a browser signature, since going by IP address won't work for people whose IP address could be different every time, and there are too many people using mobile devices these days for advertisers to ignore.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, DrSpaceman said:

The one I can't stand right now is where the lady astronaut unlocks her husband's car from space with her phone. 

Why doesn't the guy just get the app on his own phone?  That would be my response if I were the wife.  Download the app yourself, lazy freak. 

To say nothing of how her cell phone works in space.

• Love 9

I was wondering about her phone working out there in space too.  My son brought it up.  Not sure if she would get better reception because she is right out there by the satellites or worse because, would it work in orbit like that?  Would the signal go off into space or would it reach the satellite, going around the earths orbital path?

• Love 1

The commercials for appliance replacement and repair since your home owner insurance will not cover it makes me cranky. Our furnace died on us on Sunday evening, but we did not need no blasted replacement plan to qualify for a program to get a new one without it costing us one cent.

2 (not new) ones that keep coming back:

Hormel Pepperoni one man band guy-dude is so sweaty and desperate looking, it makes me uncomfortable

VW Tiguan-idiots preparing to flee an incoming asteroid (meteorite?), who have SO MUCH ROOM in the back that they load up things like golf clubs, a giant beach ball and a huge flat screen TV

• Love 14
1 hour ago, sempervivum said:

VW Tiguan-idiots preparing to flee an incoming asteroid (meteorite?), who have SO MUCH ROOM in the back that they load up things like golf clubs, a giant beach ball and a huge flat screen TV

If you can see the asteroid that close, it's too late.

Alternatively, if it's far enough away to be moving that slowly and still be seen, fleeing isn't going to help.

Oh! I saw the annoying "milk run" ad for Target last night. The first asks for skim, the second asks for chocolate, and the third informs her father she's "not doing dairy this week".

• Love 7
3 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

The commercials for appliance replacement and repair since your home owner insurance will not cover it makes me cranky. Our furnace died on us on Sunday evening, but we did not need no blasted replacement plan to qualify for a program to get a new one without it costing us one cent.

Really? What program was this?

• Love 2

A program in Montana to help people with heating bills and emergencies aka furnace going out during winter months (October to the end of April.) Plus the fact my husband had a kidney transplant almost fourteen years ago and is diabetic, and I am dealing with multiple health issues related to a thyroid disorder, so having no heat in the house even with Spring finally making an appearance in Montana is not good.

10 hours ago, DrSpaceman said:

I was wondering about her phone working out there in space too.  My son brought it up.  Not sure if she would get better reception because she is right out there by the satellites or worse because, would it work in orbit like that?  Would the signal go off into space or would it reach the satellite, going around the earths orbital path?

You phone isn't communicating with the satellite (unless you have a satphone), it's communicating with the towers on the ground.  Phones can't get a signal on an airplane, much less in orbit.  

• Love 11

I noticed the newest annoying ads with the douchebag Chevy focus group facilitator is now roping in the subjecs' children, the latest has him asking them if they'd rather be picked up from school in the Chevy than their current family van. Ugh.

• Love 10