Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

14 hours ago, Zevious Zoquis said:

And there's a short one running now that has a few weather people giving updates during a "snow storm" and getting "jeep bombed" by people in the background.  First, I live in Winnipeg and that ain't no snow storm.  Second, the female weather person is really annoying.  She does this weird little series of hand gestures while she talks that don't relate in any way to what she's saying.  Bugs me.  lol...the one that says "seriously?" is annoying too! 

That's just a little lite dusting, right? ;0)

My teen started to hate that commercial when it seemed to be running every two minutes because every single time it was on she would get to hear a lecture about driving in snow when you should not drive if you have the option, and to always watch out for those with the 4 wheel drives who feel entitled to drive whenever and however with regard to anyone else on the road.

(I know there are responsible drivers who own 4 wheel drives out there also rolling their eyes at the ones doing at least 80 on ice covered roads.)

• Love 1
18 hours ago, Barb1959 said:

Has anyone seen Reba Macintire (spelling)  doing a commercial for KFC?  God I hate that!!

I have previously professed my displeasure with the entirety of their ad campaign, and the Reba ads specifically.  They have nearly made me swear off all chicken, just on principle.

• Love 6
On 2/8/2018 at 10:37 PM, bilgistic said:

Krispy Kreme yesterday, today and forever. Hometown pride!

I've been to the Krispy Kreme HQ in Winston-Salem, NC. The whole place smells like donuts!

I know not everyone has a KK nearby, but I've never seen one run out of donuts at any time. 

• Love 3
20 minutes ago, ABitOFluff said:

I know not everyone has a KK nearby, but I've never seen one run out of donuts at any time. 

And even if they start to run short, they'll just make some more.  And there is nothing quite like (or quite as delicious!) as fresh, hot Krispy Kreme doughnuts.  It's like eating sweet air -- they just melt in your mouth.

• Love 14
22 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Try Seattle, there are a lot of places like that around here.

Who is like a mother to her ever since her mother died. Then she goes off with her chums Bess and George to have mysterious adventures in her new coupe, a birthday present from her father, the illustrious attorney Carsen Drew.

She finally traded in the roadster? Little girl's growing up.

• Love 6

Am way behind on reading here. A shocking cancer diagnosis in late December has had me on the shelf for a while. Still undergoing treatment 

Anyway, I HAD to come here and post about the Hulu commercial with the father on the couch with his sleeping son watching a kid movie. Since the kid is asleep, the father switches to a hockey game. The kid wakes and dad quickly switches back to the kid movie as if he's going to get in some kind of trouble or something for changing the channel. A minute later, the kid falls back asleep and dad is left to continue watching the kid movie in case the kid wakes again. You have got to be kidding me. Is the kid going to be traumatized for life if dad changes the channel?

Regarding Peloton: I downloaded their app and did a two week trial about a year ago. I do not have the bike: you could use the app and just not get any of the bells and whistles or live stuff. In any case, I searched for a beginner program since I was pretty out of shape and the only one I found there was a no way I could keep up with it so I let the trial expire and never looked at it again.

• Love 10
48 minutes ago, configdotsys said:

Am way behind on reading here. A shocking cancer diagnosis in late December has had me on the shelf for a while. Still undergoing treatment 

Anyway, I HAD to come here and post about the Hulu commercial with the father on the couch with his sleeping son watching a kid movie. Since the kid is asleep, the father switches to a hockey game. The kid wakes and dad quickly switches back to the kid movie as if he's going to get in some kind of trouble or something for changing the channel. A minute later, the kid falls back asleep and dad is left to continue watching the kid movie in case the kid wakes again. You have got to be kidding me. Is the kid going to be traumatized for life if dad changes the channel?

Regarding Peloton: I downloaded their app and did a two week trial about a year ago. I do not have the bike: you could use the app and just not get any of the bells and whistles or live stuff. In any case, I searched for a beginner program since I was pretty out of shape and the only one I found there was a no way I could keep up with it so I let the trial expire and never looked at it again.

Seriously, the Hulu dad?  WTF is happening to our society that he folds at the slightest hint of disapproval from his child?

I'm glad to see you back! (Also, Ms Bean).  I hope you are making good progress in your treatment!

• Love 10
1 hour ago, configdotsys said:

Sending good wishes and thoughts to you. Hope the treatment's going well. 

• Love 11
7 hours ago, ABitOFluff said:

I've been to the Krispy Kreme HQ in Winston-Salem, NC. The whole place smells like donuts!

I just saw an ad in the paper this morning for Krispy Kreme including a recipe for Smores pie that uses ground up Krispy Kremes as part of the crust.

In other annoying ads, Please Stop Making Ads With Annoying Music That Barely Tells Us What You're Selling.

• Love 1

People mentioned various disgusting things about McDonald's ads. Watching the Olympics, I got tired of those people love-talking to their Big Macs. Ironic to see this over and over during the Olympics. I'm pretty sure none of those athletes are proclaiming their eternal love to That Special Sauce!

• Love 3
12 hours ago, NinjaPenguins said:

Sprintern! Sprint plus intern! Clever, right? No, Sprint, it is not clever or funny, that intern is utterly deranged, and worst of all I almost felt a twinge of sympathy for Paul, the douche who switched from Verizon. 

Ugh. I hate that commercial. The “Sprintern” not reading the room and then telling Paul that he is going to give his spare iPhone to her, his “new friend.” As if he doesn’t possibly have a spouse/significant other, parent, longtime best friend, sibling, cousin, auntie, etc. to whom to give that phone. Nah, he’ll give it to a store employee that he just met two minutes ago. 

• Love 9

GOOD GOD cats do not need gravy, especially not extra gravy! Whatever happened to opening a can of tuna cat food and it actually looked like tuna? not mush or chunks w gravy! I drain the shit off -end rant.

• Love 5

My Mookie loves loves LOVES his cat food with gravy.  It is crack to him.

The only redeeming quality about the McDonald’s Big Mac ad is the stupendously beautiful lady in the silver dress who is getting her hair done.  The way she sultrily says whatever it is she says about Big Macs and leans into the camera makes me want to buy one of those grease-laden grossburgers.

That Spintern one hundred percent assures that I will never go into a Sprint store.

• Love 5

I tried watching the Olympics live but I would see, for example, one skater and then 10-12 commercials.  Most of the shows I watch are recorded and I can fast forward past all that.  When I watch live TV anymore, I'm astounded at the number of commercials.  I do chores during the commercials!  Anyway, a coworker recommended I watch the Olympics on CBC and she was right--there were a lot less commercials. 

No one mentioned Nancy's boyfriend, Ned Nickerson.  Nancy always had the best of everything.  ("It was sweet of Dad to get me a new car for my birthday.")  Ned was captain of his college football team. George and Bess's companions sat on the bench a lot, I guess.  Do you think Carson and Hannah had a relationship?

• Love 7

There was a commercial (I think for Xfinity) that ran before and during the Olympics featuring athletes training for their various events. In the background a woman was singing "Dream a Little Dream of Me" as though in an opium-inducted stupor. The athletes were basically being treated as cyborgs. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be sympathetic or awe-struck when I see that ad.

• Love 3

I do hope you are doing better.

But I have a different take on the Hulu commercial, I think he's just waiting for the kid to be a little deeper in sleep. But I think the child is adorable! I love how he looks around in his sleep confusion, then suspicion that something changed, but he's just not sure. I think the actor does a great job of showing that. 

I got really tired of the Ring My Bell, and I don't even know what the ad was for. I agree about the Sprintern, but at least she doesn't do that stupid, "what" thing that was so popular a few years ago. And even though I love Day-O, and the concept of the ad is kind of cute. I'm closer to 85 than I want to be and since they changed the rules on us baby boomers about pensions and retirement, that hits too close too home. But if I say any more about what I think, I'll be banned from this site forever. But who wants an 85 yr old man manning a fire hose or trying to rescue anyone in the ocean DJ Nana might be hip, but the rest are just too sad.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, mmecorday said:

There was a commercial (I think for Xfinity) that ran before and during the Olympics featuring athletes training for their various events. In the background a woman was singing "Dream a Little Dream of Me" as though in an opium-inducted stupor. The athletes were basically being treated as cyborgs. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be sympathetic or awe-struck when I see that ad.

That commercial is terrifying to me. It looks like the athletes are attached to the machines and can’t leave. I think we’re supposed to be in awe of their dedication, but I don’t see it. 

That Match asshole is back. The worst one IMO is the guy who didn’t “make the conversion” with a woman he was interested in. Newsflash, assface. She has agency and gets to make decisions too. You were friend zoned. Deal with it. 

• Love 6

The Apple commercial with the obnoxious Muhammed Ali "I am the greatest" voiceover.    I was only a kid when he was in his prime but I hated that bragging shit then and I still hate it now.   Even more now, because I already lived through it once.   Some things ought to remain in the past.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 8
On 2/25/2018 at 1:37 PM, configdotsys said:

The assumption I made when I saw that commercial was that the dad is sitting with a sick kid, based on how the kid is lightly asleep then wakes up when the channel is changed.  Having sat with a fitful child I know the littlest things can wake them when you are trying to get them to rest.  If the son doesn't wake up when Doc McStuffins ends then it is safe for Dad to change the channel.

Of course, I would rather stick with the Disney Channel than watch a hockey game, but that is just me.  An old movie on the other hand...

50 minutes ago, LoneHaranguer said:

If he's too disorganized to have something decent available to wear, he might not have had that much time. Maybe a few spritzes of Febreze on something would have done the trick.

All the Febreze in the world won't fix that shirt.

• Love 9
On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 1:19 AM, xls said:

GOOD GOD cats do not need gravy, especially not extra gravy! Whatever happened to opening a can of tuna cat food and it actually looked like tuna? not mush or chunks w gravy! I drain the shit off -end rant.

My female ginger tabby would vehemently disagree with you.  She'd be happy with all gravy, and a few bits of cheese.

The Prep H "keester" lady is back.  Her voice is like nails on a chalkboard.  The Dole "Oh, they're drainers" lady is back too.  People were leaving nastygrams on Dole's FB page over it.

• Love 7
On ‎02‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 7:59 PM, smittykins said:

"This has potassium.

So does this.

But you don't have to peel it."

Sorry, V8.  I'm still taking the banana.  

I hate V8 because I hate tomato juice, although I love tomatoes.  So I hate that commercial.  I like bananas and would not mind peeling them one bit.  But bananas sometimes have the opposite effect of prunes on me, so I'd need the prunes to balance that out. 

• Love 5
On ‎02‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 8:28 PM, chessiegal said:

I have a high tolerance for commercials, but this "Inspired Closets" commercial makes me want to smack the smug look of this woman's face. "Ms. Hiring Manager" my ass.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/w_B4/inspired-closets-ms-hiring-manager

Never mind that, unless she managed to keep up with education in her field, she's definitely NOT where she was when she left ten years before.  Ugh.

On ‎02‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 6:29 PM, tanyak said:

Dear woman in the Walmart ad who orders new pacifiers and sippy cups everytime  her kid drops it and the dog picks it up or it falls in a puddle or whatever. Newsflash: you can boil them. Wash it in the sink, throw it in some boiling water for a few minutes, and then wash it again. Unless the dog has chewed it up, your kid will be fine. 

And while they aren't the most expensive things in the world, quality ones typically are six or seven dollars a pop.  Why is she smiling like a loony tune every time she places an order? 

Plus, she doesn't even make sure that the dog doesn't eat the damned pacifier.  Dogs can and will eat those - to their misfortune.

On ‎02‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 9:22 PM, mojoween said:

McDonald’s.  Tell me something.  Why is it that one piece of processed American cheese is going to drive every child in this country to morbid obesity, but Big Macs are what this world needs to make every adult happy?  Are you saying that if they don’t get the cheese when they are younger, they can have it when they are older?

Also, watching people chomp on Big Macs is gross.  Quit it.

Also also, if I’m walking into McDonald’s I already know I'm going to eat garbage.  Don’t tell me how to raise my kid.  And you want to promote healthy food?  Sell a hamburger for four dollars and a salad for a buck twenty nine.

The special sauce is why I hate Big Macs, not the selling point.

• Love 3
On ‎02‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 3:12 PM, Silver Raven said:

Gaten Matarazzo has a disease called Cleidocranial dysostosis, which affects the bones and the teeth.

I'm far more bothered by the stuffing his face with cereal that someone else bought AND daring to criticize the cereal selection.  That kid is really annoying in those commercials, but I'm sure it's the character, not the actor.

On ‎02‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 10:20 AM, Browncoat said:

And even if they start to run short, they'll just make some more.  And there is nothing quite like (or quite as delicious!) as fresh, hot Krispy Kreme doughnuts.  It's like eating sweet air -- they just melt in your mouth.

I hate Krispy Kreme doughnuts.  They just taste like lard to me.

On ‎02‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 5:42 PM, Silver Raven said:

I just saw an ad in the paper this morning for Krispy Kreme including a recipe for Smores pie that uses ground up Krispy Kremes as part of the crust.

In other annoying ads, Please Stop Making Ads With Annoying Music That Barely Tells Us What You're Selling.

I suspect that the target audience for this commercial would not have been watching curling - which is what I was watching when I saw it.

On ‎02‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 12:32 AM, Automne said:

Ugh. I hate that commercial. The “Sprintern” not reading the room and then telling Paul that he is going to give his spare iPhone to her, his “new friend.” As if he doesn’t possibly have a spouse/significant other, parent, longtime best friend, sibling, cousin, auntie, etc. to whom to give that phone. Nah, he’ll give it to a store employee that he just met two minutes ago. 

It's Paul, the Sprint douche, he has no one who'd get close enough to him to merit the phone.

• Love 2
51 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I hate V8 because I hate tomato juice, although I love tomatoes.  So I hate that commercial.  I like bananas and would not mind peeling them one bit.  But bananas sometimes have the opposite effect of prunes on me, so I'd need the prunes to balance that out. 

I love V8 and would drink it every day except I have high blood pressure and that stuff is loaded with sodium. I do drink half a cup of prune juice every day because it has a good amount of potassium.

Same here. *horf*

• Love 3
39 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Me too.  Take it off, and there's nothing there except two wimpy patties, and a whole lot of bread.

24 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I hate Krispy Kreme doughnuts.  They just taste like lard to me.

Do they only make glazed donuts?  We have zero KK anywhere near here, so the only ones we see are the ones kids sell in fundraisers, and you get no choice - they're glazed.  I hate glazed donuts.

• Love 1
On 2/26/2018 at 1:19 AM, xls said:

That sounds like the pate style foods.  I don't like them because they come out in a solid block that I have to break up.  It's messy and my cats don't finish it all.

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I love V8 and would drink it every day except I have high blood pressure and that stuff is loaded with sodium. I do drink half a cup of prune juice every day because it has a good amount of potassium.

Same here. *horf*

Low Sodium V8 is a thing.  And awesome.  I just went to the fridge and looked it up. 95 mg per little can.

• Love 4
On 2/26/2018 at 12:54 AM, Brattinella said:

HEY, Liberty Mutual!  You are LYING AGAIN!  You can get a new car total replacement policy with ANYONE, not just YOU!

Right? It just makes the guy in the ad look stupid when he complains that he picked the wrong insurance company instead of the wrong insurance. You know his agent told him he could spend whatever extra money it'd take to cover to cost of total replacement, but he was too cheap to pony up. Serves him right for being a tightwad.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Brattinella said:

My cat eats dry food.  The healthy, pricey dry food.  She loves it. 

I compromise.  They get dry food in the morning and canned in the evening.  They eat the dry stuff slowly and gradually.  They wolf the canned stuff down so I think if I did that exclusively, they'd be fat little furballs. 

• Love 7