Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

I have a fundamental issue with that line of products. I think they look too short by about 1”-1.5”. I HATE shirts that are too short on me, and I'm short-waisted, so in theory, I should never run into this problem. Yet, in women's clothing, I'd venture to say it's an issue half the time.

So, feh on that. Guys, please get a regular shirt that is long enough. I don't want to see your love handles.*

*I'm pro-love handles, but anti-shirts with sides that expose them.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, SoSueMe said:

The Untuckit commercial. There is just so much wrong with this. His mission, his problem. Poor, poor boy. What a first world problem.

I hate this guy and the whole concept soooooo much.  Seriously, just untuck a regular shirt.  I don't even want to know how much these crappy shirts cost.

It did make me laugh that in one of those coupon mailers that come to my house monthly there was a coupon for this stupid company.  So he already needs to go the junk mail route.  Ha!

• Love 8
1 hour ago, ebk57 said:

I hate this guy and the whole concept soooooo much.  Seriously, just untuck a regular shirt.  I don't even want to know how much these crappy shirts cost.

It did make me laugh that in one of those coupon mailers that come to my house monthly there was a coupon for this stupid company.  So he already needs to go the junk mail route.  Ha!

For the life of me, I don't see how this was some great problem that needed to be solved.  I'm not one to wear shirts untucked anyway, but seriously, that's not even "first world problems" that just some pretentious goofball.

36 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

I think Untuckit shirts cost $99. !!

I can get three or four dress shirts for that.  And they look good tucked in!

• Love 7

I HATE shirts that are too short on me, and I'm short-waisted, so in theory, I should never run into this problem. Yet, in women's clothing, I'd venture to say it's an issue half the time.

Fat women have the opposite problem. I can't find decent shirts or sweaters that aren't tunics to cover our allegedly gargantuan hips, making them look, in my opinion, even bigger.  But, you know, if you wear a bathing suit with a teeny skirt attached, nobody will ever guess you're fat.

• Love 12
10 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Here's a guy doing a review of the Untuckit shirt

Oh puleeze.

As I watched I wondered what this kid does for a living then I got to the part about the 25% discount for mentioning his review when you order this (somewhat ordinary, imo) shirt. All righty then. Still annoyed :)

• Love 3

The sports radio show host I listen to had his wife take a picture of him in one of the shirts (they are a heavy sponsor on ESPN) and I don't know if it's because Golic is 6'4" or what, but if he raises his arms, I will see skin. (She did say it has to be ironed which made me laugh)

Like, is this a product the public was clamoring for?  I mean, good on the maker for making money on it, but still.

DA_RvqXUMAAX3ib?format=jpg&name=large

• Love 3
(edited)
7 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Fat women have the opposite problem. I can't find decent shirts or sweaters that aren't tunics to cover our allegedly gargantuan hips, making them look, in my opinion, even bigger.  But, you know, if you wear a bathing suit with a teeny skirt attached, nobody will ever guess you're fat.

I wear men's board shorts (they're longer and not as tight-fitting as women's board shorts), paired with a loose tank top. That really only works for us boobless women; otherwise, you'd have a nippleage problem. But you can always pair the board shorts with a tankini top, or even a bikini top, and be more comfortable and (IMO) look better than with those stupid skirted bathing suits.

Edited by riley702
  • Love 4
20 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Here's a guy doing a review of the Untuckit shirt

When he said he'd wear it a while and see how it held up, I expected that to be the next scene in the video. Ooh, it's nice out of the box, like a Chevy with a JD Power Award for Best Car Whose New Car Smell Hasn't Worn Off.

• Love 5
14 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I'm a size 18. I usually wear fitted-ish tops because I have good boobs and I look hourglass-y from the front. My profile is a trainwreck, though.

Almost all of my shirts come from Target, and pants from Old Navy, though it's a bitch going through several shipments to find what fits. I refuse to shop in the ON store.

Screw swimsuits.

• Love 3
On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 7:15 PM, SoSueMe said:

The Untuckit commercial. There is just so much wrong with this. His mission, his problem. Poor, poor boy. What a first world problem.

Until now, I assumed it was one RuePaul's Drag Race sponsors!

• Love 7
On ‎06‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 5:24 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

I find that shirts and sweaters are either tunics or too short to cover the bits I want covered.

That Untuckit commercial (or maybe just the company founder) is the definition of hipster pretentiousness.

22 hours ago, riley702 said:

I wear men's board shorts (they're longer and not as tight-fitting as women's board shorts), paired with a loose tank top. That really only works for us boobless women; otherwise, you'd have a nippleage problem. But you can always pair the board shorts with a tankini top, or even a bikini top, and be more comfortable and (IMO) look better than with those stupid skirted bathing suits.

Hmmm . . . that's an idea.  I wear two-piece suits - skirted bottom and a top which is long enough to come down over the waist of the bottoms - because it's too damned hard to get a one-piece out of the way when you have to pee.  But the board shorts would be even better.

• Love 6

Ugh. There's a new (to me) J. G. Wentworth commercial and it's...it's WORSE than any before it. I mean it's if I hear it from the next room I run to change the channel BAD. Just SCREAMING their stupid jingle at us. ARRGGGHHHH!!!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Ugh. There's a new (to me) J. G. Wentworth commercial and it's...it's WORSE than any before it. I mean it's if I hear it from the next room I run to change the channel BAD. Just SCREAMING their stupid jingle at us. ARRGGGHHHH!!!

I just saw - and muted after 5 seconds - one that seems to be a hybrid of Eminem and boy bands. Imagine rap as seen by someone who still thinks Sinatra is a bad influence on the young 'uns.

• Love 3
On 6/5/2017 at 11:18 AM, Silver Raven said:

"Ibrance shrunk tumors".  No, dammit, it shrank tumors.

I have a lot of issues with this commercial. I'm not sure it's wise to advertise chemotherapy on television. I'm not even sure it's chemo, but it comes across that way. 

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Neurochick said:

Speaking of crap commercials, they are showing that Gucci Guilty commercial again.  The only thing good about that commercial is the music.

I have no idea what this commercial is trying to convey to us!

• Love 1
3 hours ago, ennui said:

I have a lot of issues with this commercial. I'm not sure it's wise to advertise chemotherapy on television. I'm not even sure it's chemo, but it comes across that way. 

Um, sorta kinda, but not really? IMO, of course. Technically, it's a "targeted therapy" pill to be used with antihormonal (i.e., anti-estrogen) therapy for metastatic breast cancer. If it responds, a woman can stay on antihormonal therapy for years before having to progress to what most of us think of as traditional chemo. But the line is getting a bit blurry these days.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Hmmm . . . that's an idea.  I wear two-piece suits - skirted bottom and a top which is long enough to come down over the waist of the bottoms - because it's too damned hard to get a one-piece out of the way when you have to pee.  But the board shorts would be even better.

My nine-year-old niece swims in boy's trunks and a "rash guard" top. She's always worn that kind of thing of her own volition. I love her so much!

• Love 3
11 hours ago, ennui said:

I haven't seen this ad, but can I ask why it wouldn't be wise? Genuine curiosity here.

I cannot watch this Stainmaster commercial. I want to throw up every time it comes on. There's just something disgusting to me about bottling up and collecting the stain. Imagine spilling some juice on your dirty floors, absorbing it with a sponge, then squeezing it back into the bottle... Ugh it makes me gag just typing this. 

https://abancommercials.com/mobilvid/16773/det/stainmaster-carpet-cleaners-chamber-of-stains-commercial

• Love 1
(edited)

The Little Sweet commercial with the cowboys, for Dr. Pepper.  

I don't have a quarrel with the commercial or the character of Little Sweet.   I always expect the cowboys to shoot him but they never do, alas.

What bugs me is the small white type that appears: "Justin Guarini as Little Sweet."

Does Justin Guarini really think he has the kind of name-brand recognition that will make people care that it's him under the Little Sweet drag?

He was the runner up on American Idol in 2002.   The runner up!   He made a terrible movie called "From Justin to Kelly" the following year and after that melted away into insignificance.  He's a nobody.  Not even a has-been but a never-was.

The only reason I recognize his name is because my mind is a final resting place for meaningless trivia.   But who else besides similarly afflicted individuals on this board will recognize him?  Given that it's been 15 years since Guarini's 15 minutes ran out, and that the Dr. Pepper target audience is probably 18-34, it seems like a real stretch that his "celebrity" will make a difference with anyone.   So why bother with the "Justin Guarini as Little Sweet" fine print?  

It's not like he's Rula Lenska or somebody famous like that. 

Edited by millennium
  • Love 16
7 hours ago, millennium said:

It's not like he's Rula Lenska or somebody famous like that. 

I wanted to like your comment just for this. lol  I remember her commercials for - was it shampoo of some sort - some hair care product, but never knew who she was until fairly recently.

• Love 6
On 6/3/2017 at 0:10 PM, Ubiquitous said:

Oh gawd, you do not know how much I HATE that mamma-jamma douchebag!

It's amazing how many people hate him and what he says.  It's like a universal.  I don't think there's anyone who likes it at all.

Justin Guarini is very active in theater, even on the Broadway.  He's moved on from his 15 minutes of AI fame.  If you are curious as to why he's billed in the commercial, why not write to the company?

• Love 4

I cannot watch this Stainmaster commercial. I want to throw up every time it comes on. There's just something disgusting to me about bottling up and collecting the stain. Imagine spilling some juice on your dirty floors, absorbing it with a sponge, then squeezing it back into the bottle... Ugh it makes me gag just typing this. 

LOL - what a horrific job being the "Stain Keeper" would be! I imagine there are far worse stains he has to collect than just spilled grape juice, if you get my drift. {shudder}

Does Justin Guarini really think he has the kind of name-brand recognition that will make people care that it's him under the Little Sweet drag?

Well, the Dr. Pepper company thinks he does, apparently. It's lost on me, I've never heard of him before. Still wouldn't know who he was to this day if not for this forum, so yay previously.tv!

15 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

I haven't seen this ad, but can I ask why it wouldn't be wise? Genuine curiosity here.

When it comes to something like cancer, I think you really should see a doctor, not self-diagnose and walk into the office saying "I want this drug, I saw it on tv."

13 hours ago, katalizt said:

https://abancommercials.com/mobilvid/16773/det/stainmaster-carpet-cleaners-chamber-of-stains-commercial

It doesn't bother me. I get a Harry Potter vibe, like that guy with all the wands. 

13 hours ago, millennium said:

What bugs me is the small white type that appears: "Justin Guarini as Little Sweet."

Maybe it will be like the KFC Colonel, and there will be different singers. Just guessing.

• Love 1
(edited)
22 minutes ago, ennui said:

Maybe it will be like the KFC Colonel, and there will be different singers. Just guessing.

I don't think so.   This is at least his second gig as Little Sweet.  In the first one he went unidentified.   I only knew it was him after seeing it mentioned in an article.   I remember being amused at the time that Guarini finally found a job after 15 years, and that the job was playing a hobbit-sized, Little Richard-type character without anybody realizing it was him.  Usually I feel bad for celebs who take promotional jobs once their star has faded (example: Nora Dunn selling Clorox) but Guarini was never a bonafide celeb and besides I never liked him, not even on American Idol.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 3
On 6/1/2017 at 11:23 AM, QuinnInND said:

I've been watching reruns of "Lost in Space" and I want the washer they have. Put the dirty clothes in, push a couple buttons, wait a minute, and the clothes come out clean, folded, and in plastic bags.  Also, Hi. This is my first post after lurking for a long time. Finally decided to make an account. 

Not only that, but as the washing machine does its cleaning/folding/packaging, the Lost In Space soundtrack shifts from it usually dire bass notes and alarming horn section into a sprightly, Suzy-homemaker type melody.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, millennium said:

He was the runner up on American Idol in 2002.   The runner up!   He made a terrible movie called "From Justin to Kelly" the following year and after that melted away into insignificance.  He's a nobody.  Not even a has-been but a never-was.

Justin Guarini has a very successful career as a stage actor.  He has appeared in five Broadway productions, including Wicked and American Idiot, and has numerous roles in regional and off-Broadway productions.

• Love 5
(edited)
42 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

Justin Guarini has a very successful career as a stage actor.  He has appeared in five Broadway productions, including Wicked and American Idiot, and has numerous roles in regional and off-Broadway productions.

I won't answer this 14 times, I'll just say ask any average person who Justin Guarini is. 

Edited by millennium
  • Love 6
14 hours ago, millennium said:

Maybe he thinks it'll increase the chances that a casting director who likes the character will call.

• Love 2

Silverraven has a high post count and great rep here. I'd say his/her computer must have bugged out or the page froze while posting and things went haywire. 

I must admit that after reading the same post over and over again, the WTF? posted right after just cracked me up. 

• Love 4
(edited)

Two commercials have been driving me up a wall lately

This one :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk9a6BodzdM

Because I'll be damned if my (non-existent) child is going to instruct me on what to make for dinner. I'm old-school like that. And if the grandmother had all the time in the world to help make the flashcards, then her ass could've been in the kitchen helping the mother dinner too.

And this one:

Women eat...and we own it! Yeah, I'm woman and a feminist....but this commercial is rage inducing.  As if human women are the only creatures on the planet that eat for energy and we should be proud of our uniqueness. Last I checked, every living animal eats and almost all female animals produce offspring.  I can't stand the idea of treating women doing ordinary things as special and a mundane task such as "eating" is something we need to "own/be proud of". It just doesn't make sense.  "Yeah, I ate today! I rock! Whoo-hoo!"

Edited by AgentRXS
  • Love 8