Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

Juicy Fruit Locker Room Ad-  Hey guys, thanks for proving that junior high wasn't fun even the first time- much less in middle age. Do your scriptwriters' mommies know they wrote this?

• Love 2
On August 25, 2016 at 10:56 AM, OSM Mom said:

We have AAA too.  But that's different from your auto insurance policy paying for your tow.   

Yeah. When your car gets totaled at 2AM, the last thing you're thinking about is the tow truck. Unfortunately that meant I just let the ones the cops called do the towing, and gosh! They weren't AAA, and a tow from San Francisco to the South Bay is not cheap. But USAA paid me back.

On annoying actors in annoying car ads: Matthew McConaughey has a Youtube channel that nobody watches. Gee, can't imagine why.

• Love 2
On 8/26/2016 at 1:05 PM, iMonrey said:

The one I keep seeing is a woman trying on a bridesmaid's dress and getting it stuck over her head and all the other bridesmaids keep coming into the dressing room to marvel over her space-age breathable panties while the poor woman continues to struggle with the dress stuck over her head. It skeevs me out.

My still-thinks-like -a-12 -year-old husband says all of the assembled women are lesbians because they are getting off on looking at her nether regions.  Men are pigs.

• Love 4
On 8/26/2016 at 9:59 AM, TattleTeeny said:

A person--male or female--can carry it without manifesting any symptoms. And because it's not limited to the parts protected by a condom, it can get all over the...regions of both parties.

And up to 75% of reproductive-aged people have been infected at some point in their lives. It's not reserved for people with promiscuous lifestyles --- with a statistic like that, it's an equal opportunity STI. In most cases, there are no symptoms at all. If you're a female, you may discover that you have HPV when a pap smear comes back with abnormal cells....and those abnormal cells may be identified as "high-risk" -- those are the ones that can cause cancer (cervical cancer, for example). Then, you get to carry around the weight of the question, "Will I get cancer someday?" I'm not bothered by those commercials. Hopefully, the commercials might get some parents to stop pearl-clutching (because it's about sex, and "my special snowflake isn't/won't be into that") and get the vaccination. 

• Love 15

I'm fine with the commercials (those I've seen, anyway) for the same reason -- there are parents out there denying their kids this safe, effective, and potentially life-saving vaccine solely because of some twisted notion it endorses teenage sex, and, while I may very well be wrong on this, I take the ads as aimed at them.  I think they should feel guilty if their offspring winds up with health problems caused by HPV because s/he wasn't vaccinated during the appropriate window, then went on to have sex at some point in her/his life as 99 percent of the human race does and wound up being infected with HPV as nearly 80 percent of those 99 percent are.

We, my friends and colleagues, talk about this vaccine in my social circle, about how we wish it had existed when we were young.  To think of kids today who have the chance to avoid this oh-so-common virus that is usually harmless but can be so awful for those who aren't on the lucky side of that statistic, who are denied that protection -- yeah, bring on these commercials.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 18

Speaking only for myself, I relied on my kids' pediatrician to figure out which vaccinations they needed at different ages.   She was pretty spot on, was well-informed as to all the latest research, and for the most part went along with the recommendations of the American Academy of Pediatrics.  Every year, the recommendations change, and I disagree that parents should feel guilty about not staying on top of all the changes. 

• Love 4

I think this has been mentioned before, but my hate knows no bounds when it comes to that IKEA commercial and the family who takes photos of their food.  OK, take photos, maybe you have families or friends who have never seen food before.   But the bullshit about how many "likes"  they get, and how a photo of their dinner is "breaking the internet,"  make me hate that entire family of self-absorbed assholes who think they are contributing something to the world by letting others see photos of their food. 

• Love 12
On 8/25/2016 at 10:17 PM, Lola16 said:

SO Snickers make you younger, smarter, sharper and Milky Ways make you slackish, lazy, and irresponsible?  Oh... think I'll just have a Kit Kat -- wait, that would make me obnoxious and self centered.  Give me a break!

I see what you did there!  :)

• Love 6
12 hours ago, arejay said:

My still-thinks-like -a-12 -year-old husband says all of the assembled women are lesbians because they are getting off on looking at her nether regions.  Men are pigs.

We all still think like 12-year-olds, and yes, we are all pigs...

• Love 2
On ‎8‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 8:04 PM, friendperidot said:

But what I wanted to really talk about was Amazon Prime dog commercials. I loved the one with the dog with a broken leg where the stupid owner finally got the idea to get a pet carrier so he could take his dog to the park - mostly because I love Paint Your Wagon and the song "I Was Born Under A Wonderin' Strar". But I am so puzzled by the Golden Retriever, lion mane, baby one. Is the baby new to the house? She's sitting by herself, (I think it's a girl) so she's not a newborn. Is the dog new to the house? If both have been in the house/family for a few months, why are they just now being introduced? Family dogs can be introduced to newborns with supervision and continued supervision, it's how they bond. And adding a lion's mane is going to make that baby think it's her toy? Most likely, she's going to pull and tug until she annoys the stuffing out of the dog.  I really don't like that ad. And it misses the point, which is to sell Amazon Prime.

I hate that Amazone Prime commercial with the father dressing the family dog up like a lion to make the baby like the dog, at least I think that's what's happening. How long have they had that dog and why do the parents feel the need to accommodate their baby's feelings?

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 1:17 AM, Lola16 said:

SO Snickers make you younger, smarter, sharper and Milky Ways make you slackish, lazy, and irresponsible?  Oh... think I'll just have a Kit Kat -- wait, that would make me obnoxious and self centered.  Give me a break!

Speaking of Kit Kat, they have a bunch of annoying new ads with people showing others the right way to eat them. In one, a girl slaps a guy trying to eat the entire package and another, the guy appears to shove a piece up a girl's nose who is eating it too noisily.

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 2:05 PM, iMonrey said:

The one I keep seeing is a woman trying on a bridesmaid's dress and getting it stuck over her head and all the other bridesmaids keep coming into the dressing room to marvel over her space-age breathable panties while the poor woman continues to struggle with the dress stuck over her head. It skeevs me out.

What I find icky is the one bridesmaid blowing on her crotch and asking if she feels it. I guess it could be worse; she could be doing it inches away instead of a foot away, which no one would ever feel b/c you can't exhale hard enough to reach that distance, which makes me wonder if that bridesmaid is just messing with her friend's mind.

• Love 2

Droning Mazda Voiceover Guy, please take your recon mission, your breathless endless search for the best berries, and your midnight taco run and drive straight into a black hole. 

Hey, Wal-Mart, I already associate the music in your newer ads with Supercuts. 

There's a Taco Bell commercial featuring a hipster fondue party. I get the feeling I'm supposed to identify with the "normal" guy eating his Taco Bell cheese-filled gutbomb, yet I find myself feeling scorn and contempt for him. The party host with the admittedly heinous facial hair can at least name the types of cheeses in his fondue; dumbass can only tell us he's consuming a three-cheese blend with nacho cheese sauce. Also, isn't it a bit rude to bring fast food to what you know is a food-themed party? If you know you won't like what's being served, eat your crap in the car before dropping in. Save your rudeness for later and have a toxic cheese explosion in your friend's bathroom. 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Ubiquitous said:

I hate that Amazone Prime commercial with the father dressing the family dog up like a lion to make the baby like the dog, at least I think that's what's happening. How long have they had that dog and why do the parents feel the need to accommodate their baby's feelings?

Yes - does an infant actually prefer a dog with a lion mane?   Babies tend to LOVE the family dog - nothing makes a baby laugh more than to see their dog's tail wagging, or getting kisses from the dog.  A baby doesn't know that a dog with a lion mane is supposed to be a lion.   The baby is cute, and the commercial is supposed to be heart-warming, but it's not consistent with how babies and pets interact.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Ubiquitous said:
On 8/26/2016 at 1:17 AM, Lola16 said:

4 hours ago, Ubiquitous said:

Speaking of Kit Kat, they have a bunch of annoying new ads with people showing others the right way to eat them. In one, a girl slaps a guy trying to eat the entire package and another, the guy appears to shove a piece up a girl's nose who is eating it too noisily.

Yes. Hence obnoxious and self centered. I saw the convenience store one and the library. Who wants to buy something that turns them into a social pariah?  Millennials?  #getoffmylawn

• Love 4
On 8/17/2016 at 9:52 AM, NinjaPenguins said:

I rather like the chime at the beginning of the Honda commercials. It's like an early warning system that tells me some shitty, annoying music is about to play and I need to hit the mute button. 

YES. A THOUSAND TIMES YES. I've gotten to the point where I actually try to pay attention to where I place the remote when I settle in to watch TV now because I don't want the embarrassment of hurting myself LUNGING for it whenever the Honda chime dings or when the, IMO, absolute WORST of those Liberty Mutual ads starts -- "You loved your car. You named it BRAD." I mean, they all suck, but I literally can't listen to that any more. Same with Honda. All the singing ones are awful, but the "Crazy in Love" one is going to be the death of me, or someone else, depending on whether my rage is suicidal or homicidal once I finally snap. LOL.

• Love 7
6 hours ago, NinjaPenguins said:

Droning Mazda Voiceover Guy, please take your recon mission, your breathless endless search for the best berries, and your midnight taco run and drive straight into a black hole. 

I am known to mutter out loud occasionally, that if I ever meet the Mazda voice guy, I will kill him.  Are there any convenient black holes?  That would be better for my reputation.

• Love 1
On August 26, 2016 at 5:19 PM, Blergh said:

Juicy Fruit Locker Room Ad-  Hey guys, thanks for proving that junior high wasn't fun even the first time- much less in middle age. Do your scriptwriters' mommies know they wrote this?

That ad makes me want to throw things at my TV.

It's nit enough for me to mute it, I have to change the channel!

• Love 1
5 hours ago, mmecorday said:

Ladies and gentlemen, Ms. Jennifer Aniston for Eyelove:

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/ArMl/eyelove-dry-eyes-featuring-jennifer-aniston

Since her film career has kind of fizzled, does she feel the need to endorse every product in sight? (No pun intended)

I read an article, although it wasn't super recent, that actually indicated Jennifer Aniston is one of the most profitable actresses, not overall box office, just profitable. IE sure lots of actresses make bigger movies with bigger budgets and bigger sales overall, but those types also tend to have their big flops to balance out. Whereas she's not been in any particularly giant movie, hers make more money than they cost more frequently than almost anyone else.

Which says to me, potentially, she (or the people advising her on what roles to take) are quite savvy, so I imagine her endorsements are just as calculated. She's considered low-risk to work with, so it's not like some kinda "gee no one will hire me better do some ads" sitch, or very unlikely to be.

Edited by theatremouse
  • Love 2

I had read that Jennifer Aniston had eye problems and was diagnosed with chronic dry eye syndrome.( It's a real thing, I have it and it gets very painful.)  Anyway, it could of course all be hype, but in an interview she said she had it and uses the eye drops.  I tend to believe her because she's at the age I was when I had to give up contact lenses for that reason.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, mmecorday said:

Ladies and gentlemen, Ms. Jennifer Aniston for Eyelove:

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/ArMl/eyelove-dry-eyes-featuring-jennifer-aniston

Since her film career has kind of fizzled, does she feel the need to endorse every product in sight? (No pun intended)

Her Aveeno commercials had been on so much, that when she first mentioned dry eyes, my immediate thought was, "Holy shit!  They invented oatmeal lotion you can apply directly to your eyeballs!"

• Love 13

Or just spray a bunch of Febreze around and no one will know that you even have a cat! I saw pillows at a discount store that were Febreze scented. Is this what the world is coming to? In the future will skyscrapers be build with Febreze-infused bricks? After a while we're going to forget how stuff really smells. Maybe that's a good thing.

Regarding Jennifer Aniston, I'm sure Dr. Boring Eyes (TM a brilliant mind at TWoP) is mighty mad she's got competition now.

Edited by mmecorday
spelling
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, smittykins said:

Okay, I admit that the "stank face" commercials are kind of cute, but they also make me think. "Maybe you need to, I don't know, clean out the box more often?"

(Says she who uses liners and still puts it off.)

I use the silicate type that requires only once a month changing and sometimes I wait too long.

I've only seen Jennifer Aniston in 2 commercials, the dry eyes one and the Aveeno ad. That's not really overkill. Say like Shaquille O'Neal. Although his commercials don't bother me cause I kind of love the guy. He's adorable. (As far as I know. No clue if he's got some scandalous past, nor did I follow his professional career. Although maybe the General commercial was one commercial too many!).

Also, I think Aniston actually uses the products she hawks.

• Love 4

Actually, Jennifer Aniston's film career is doing just fine. That's why whenever I see her or another big star like Matthew McConaughey in a TV commercial, I wonder aloud just how much money these people need. Now, I understand that companies want celebrities to endorse their products because market research shows we're all a bunch of lemmings and will buy whatever our stars tell us to. But I have a hard time respecting the big name stars that cash in on that.

The dry eyes thing doesn't bother me that much because that's borderline PSA, especially if she really has it. But you'd have to be awfully naive to believe the reason Jennifer Aniston still looks so young is because of Aveeno. Just sayin'.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, LuciaMia said:

I really hate that phrase, 'Clean Food.'  Makes me think of the different FDA regulations, like how many insect parts are allowed in hot dogs.

It makes me think they're trying to say like, "We have no health code violations."

• Love 3

It's official. I've turned into a prude. Though I don't like to think of myself that way. But dammitall, the latest Victoria's Secret commercial, hyping and telling me that it's now OKAY to wear BRAS as a shirt--meaning, the bra is the top/shirt itself, and all I need to accompany it, is a snug jacket, just had my jaw dropping to the floor. Oh, and it reminded me of that Seinfeld episode where that one woman was walking the streets of New York, in nothing but her bra, and jean jacket. Brenda Armstrong, I think?

But...but...they're calling these Bralettes. I kid you not. And of course it's all women in their 20's wearing this, and acting as if this is the second coming of...whatever.  And I'm just outraged.

And this is coming from someone who only dresses conservatively at work.

• Love 7
On ‎08‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 11:05 PM, backformore said:

I had read that Jennifer Aniston had eye problems and was diagnosed with chronic dry eye syndrome.( It's a real thing, I have it and it gets very painful.)  Anyway, it could of course all be hype, but in an interview she said she had it and uses the eye drops.  I tend to believe her because she's at the age I was when I had to give up contact lenses for that reason.

I have to admit, the commercial made me curious about the product because I also have chronic dry eye, and Restasis is expensive as hell.  So I guess it did its job.

Okay, so I looked at the website and it's not an actual product.  It's an informational program to help people, and women in particular, talk about chronic dry eye with their doctors and also to be aware of everyday changes they can make which might help lessen the effect the condition has on their lives.  So not something which might replace the expensive prescription eye drops (boo) but not un-useful either.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

It's official. I've turned into a prude. Though I don't like to think of myself that way. But dammitall, the latest Victoria's Secret commercial, hyping and telling me that it's now OKAY to wear BRAS as a shirt--meaning, the bra is the top/shirt itself, and all I need to accompany it, is a snug jacket, just had my jaw dropping to the floor. Oh, and it reminded me of that Seinfeld episode where that one woman was walking the streets of New York, in nothing but her bra, and jean jacket. Brenda Armstrong, I think?

But...but...they're calling these Bralettes. I kid you not. And of course it's all women in their 20's wearing this, and acting as if this is the second coming of...whatever.  And I'm just outraged.

When I was like 20, I would have been all over that.  I had this thing where I thought a bra and a blazer would be awesome.  I never actually did it, though, because I was never anywhere where that was appropriate, not to mention blazers never fit me properly.

Maybe if Susan Sarandon had been wearing a bralette rather than just a bra, no one would have complained. :)

11 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Wasn't that bra-as-outerwear thing one of Madonna's looks in the 1980's?

• Love 5

The one I hate is the Entresto (?) commercial where the older guy sings "The Sun Will Come Out Tomorrow".

me too. That commercial creeps me out (and BTW, NO ONE is guaranteed a "tomorrow")

I like the baby at the end though

Oh, and it reminded me of that Seinfeld episode where that one woman was walking the streets of New York, in nothing but her bra, and jean jacket.

Sue Ellen Mischke, the braless O Henry candy bar heiress!

• Love 8

The commercial for the laser spine surgery place makes me stabby.  The first part where the man is sitting in the chair and the dog comes with the leash and wants to go for a walk. The man tries to get up but can't.  So his daughter, I presume has to take the dog out. The look she throws the dad as she takes the dog out.  I don't know.  Maybe it's just me.  She's got a full case of bitch face.  Like she's mad at dad for being a slacker and her having to take the dog out.  

• Love 7
36 minutes ago, OSM Mom said:

The commercial for the laser spine surgery place makes me stabby.  The first part where the man is sitting in the chair and the dog comes with the leash and wants to go for a walk. The man tries to get up but can't.  So his daughter, I presume has to take the dog out. The look she throws the dad as she takes the dog out.  I don't know.  Maybe it's just me.  She's got a full case of bitch face.  Like she's mad at dad for being a slacker and her having to take the dog out.  

That was exactly my perception of the daughter.  Poor dad, in pain and can't stand up, so she throws this hateful look at him for it!  GAH! Ungrateful wretch!

• Love 3

Okay, I just saw the Amazon commercial with the GORGEOUS doggie, and I have a different take.  I think Dad ordered the mane so that doggie would look like the stuffed animal lion baby had and loved, and apparently, preferred, to the doggie. Which, whatever. So for baby, doggie with lion mane, looked like her stuffed animal come to life. Baby's an idiot, but that's just me. I don't hate the commercial but I do. Does that make sense?

If you can't tell, I'm a HUGE Doggie lover.

• Love 7