Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

• Start Topic

Seriously girl, get a grip.   3 jobs in 4 years is really bad.

Not if she's a college student and the jobs are work-study or for the summer.

What I don't get about that commercial is, they're apparently close sisters--especially if you think all the stuff they say about twins is true--yet the 1 making the call doesn't even seem to know her sister has that job, considering how surprised she is when the word "Awesomesauce!" is used.

Ia the call center in the U.S.? A long distance may mean they're not it close touch. Why is it the ads with that theme recently seem to be featuring people of Asian or Indian descent (i.e. where you might outsource a call center)? You used to see more diversity in those ads.

• Love 1

I love the announcer's accent in the Diamond-z commercial. Adds that touch of class! As does Pachelbel's "Canon in D."

There is this infomercial style ad for some fixit instantly product, whose name I've already blocked out but I think does have "fixit" in it. And of course they show some disembodied hand reconnecting handles to mugs and pitchers, or two pieces of rope together, or leather or whatever and it magically is strong enough that you can tow a truck with it or whatever.

Here's the problem: everytime they show the magical-fixey-whatever product being applied to something it makes this HORRIBLE sound. The sound, I assume, is supposed to be some futuristic "action" type indicator. Sonic-screwdriver or teleporter it is not. Thing sounds halfway between a high-pitched fire alarm beep and screeching brake rotors grinding metal on metal.

Agreed, that thing is ANNOY-ING. Why, WHY is it so loud?

And now I'm just amusing myself by imagining that, in place of the sound effect, they used Geico Peter Pan's "PHIIIIIIIIIIIILLLLLLL!"

Edited by ivygirl
  • Love 2

I was SO relieved when the holidays were over because I assumed they would stop playing that INANE, INSIPID Hyundai Holiday-ay-ay-ay-ay commercial

But NO.  They kept on playing it .... even after New Years.  EFF YOU HYUNDAI.  I'm not in the market for a new car but if I was, I would not even consider a Hyundai solely out of spite!

Muffyn, on 17 Jan 2016 - 12:54 AM, said:

The awesome sauce sisters commercial is back in rotation.  Make it stop!

Seriously.  The quote Jean Ralphio from Parks and Rec, they are "the wooooorrrssssttttt."

backformore, on 17 Jan 2016 - 9:40 PM, said:

Panera Bread has had a  "You Pick 2" lunch for a long time now.   Any combination of a cup of soup, a half sandwich, or half portion of salad.  McDonald's stole the concept.

Perhaps. But many a restaurant had that "lunch combo" option before Panera!  I remember chains like Houlihans, Benigans, etc having those "you pick 2" options back in the 90s... maybe even 80s!

• Love 4

I was SO relieved when the holidays were over because I assumed they would stop playing that INANE, INSIPID Hyundai Holiday-ay-ay-ay-ay commercial

Damning with faint praise: I thought of all the holiday car commercials that one was the least annoying because at least they didn't do the stupid car-as-gift thing. But it was still super annoying. Although, I have to say, the chick in the yellow sweater was at least committing to it. Everyone else looked like that one kid in chorus who knows they can't sing and will just stand as still as possible and only mouth the words in hopes that nobody notices them.

• Love 3

Perhaps. But many a restaurant had that "lunch combo" option before Panera!  I remember chains like Houlihans, Benigans, etc having those "you pick 2" options back in the 90s... maybe even 80s!

Mimi's Cafe had it back in the day.  But I don't get what McDonalds is going for since they have always had a dollar menu...most of the "mcpick (your nose)" items are dollar menu items so couldn't you always get 2 for 2?  Were they trying to remind people who don't realize that 1 + 1 =2?  I get that that could be a significant portion of the McDonalds demographic, but still..seems like overkill.

And when did McDonalds go all exotic and add mozarella sticks to the menu?

Damning with faint praise: I thought of all the holiday car commercials that one was the least annoying because at least they didn't do the stupid car-as-gift thing. But it was still super annoying. Although, I have to say, the chick in the yellow sweater was at least committing to it. Everyone else looked like that one kid in chorus who knows they can't sing and will just stand as still as possible and only mouth the words in hopes that nobody notices them.

How do you even know its Christmas if you don't get a car with a giant red bow on it?  

• Love 3

I only hope this ring comes with a little countdown clock to tell you when you can expect it to turn your finger green.

This commercial is an insta classic.  From the announcer with the British accent and the music in the background to convince you its classy, from the dude they got on speaker phone to endorse it, to the woman touching herself with it in ecstasy.  The way its affordable for "virtually" everyone.  Who the hell will find a $20 ring out of their price range?  The way they keep repeating and showing you that the ring is really worth 30k....seriously, you know its true because they found a website to say so...and they circled the price in red!

And, who exactly is their target market?  Dudes who have lied to their fiances about how much money they have and want to fool her into thinking she has a 30k engagement ring?  People who think the are going to fool their friends and family into thinking they were able to afford a 30k engagement ring?

• Love 3

Mimi's Cafe had it back in the day.  But I don't get what McDonalds is going for since they have always had a dollar menu...most of the "mcpick (your nose)" items are dollar menu items so couldn't you always get 2 for 2?  Were they trying to remind people who don't realize that 1 + 1 =2?  I get that that could be a significant portion of the McDonalds demographic, but still..seems like overkill. How do you even know its Christmas if you don't get a car with a giant red bow on it?  

I suspect that marketing studies have shown that people think "two for $2" is a better bargain than "one for $1".

• Love 4

The scrubbing bubble commercial with the girl dyeing her hair and making a big mess in the bathroom while her mother is knocking on the door and wanting in makes me stabby. And why is the mother cleaning the bathroom. The brat made the mess so she should be the one cleaning the bathroom.

I suspect that marketing studies have shown that people think "two for $2" is a better bargain than "one for $1".

I am assuming that the 2 for $2 is replacing the dollar menu. 

And since they only have 4 items on it, families coming in will end up spending some money, because someone in the family will want something not on the 2 for 2 menu.

Edited by backformore
  • Love 3

And the dollar menu hasn't really been the "dollar" menu in quite some while. Just like at Wendy's, stuff slowly crept up to $1.19, $1.39, etc. I think they both started referring to them as value menus or whatever. 

DH tried to the mozzarella sticks the other day. He said they were alright--about what you would expect for essentially paying $1 for them.

Edited by tanyak
  • Love 5
The scrubbing bubble commercial with the girl dyeing her hair and making a big mess in the bathroom while her mother is knocking on the door and wanting in makes me stabby. And why is the mother cleaning the bathroom. The brat made the mess so she should be the one cleaning the bathroom.

Wait, the mom cleans up the mess?  Ugh, now it's even worse.  I had turned away from the TV before it ended, but what I saw was bad enough.  It's the mom's bathroom in which Little Miss "We're, like, goth-goth" decided to dye her hair, and when the mom realizes the mess being made behind the locked door to her own bathroom and asks to be let in, little miss ignores her.  Oh, hell no.  But her response is to clean up after her? 

• Love 5

My mother used to dye her hair when visiting my sister.  We used to joke that she must put on the dye then shake like a wet dog because there would be reddish-brown dye spots all over the ceiling and walls.  My former brother-in-law got so tired of the bathroom looking like a crime scene, he finally left several cleaning products, sponges, a bucket and a step ladder with a bow on it for my mother.  Oh sure, it's no car with a big red bow, but he made his point.  Perhaps the mother in the commercial could do the same for her precious angel/devil spawn. 

• Love 4

This ad and the other one with the kids bathing the ugly dog bug me from a storytelling perspective. I feel like they end too abruptly; we should get a coda shot of the clean, happy dog playing with the kids or the girl admiring her purple hair while Mom smiles in the background, having saved her family from their grubby selves.

• Love 3

This ad and the other one with the kids bathing the ugly dog bug me from a storytelling perspective. I feel like they end too abruptly; we should get a coda shot of the clean, happy dog playing with the kids

This has always bugged me since the first time I saw it.  Where's the clean, happy dog?  WHERE?

• Love 6

No, it sells more because some people will think they have to buy two to get them for $1 each even if they don't, and if the store does have a higher price for just buying one, they can't resist getting the second one for only 61 cents (or whatever the difference is).

• Love 3

You are correct, DiGiornio, you're not delivery, and you could never be mistaken for delivery unless the people eating you are drunk or high.

And more to the point DiGiornio, why do you think I care how the delivery driver gets my pizza to me?  I don't care if he is some stoner kid, as long as he isn't putting boogers on my pizza I don't really care

No, it sells more because some people will think they have to buy two to get them for $1 each even if they don't, and if the store does have a higher price for just buying one, they can't resist getting the second one for only 61 cents (or whatever the difference is).

This makes sense.  I also think people will go with whatever the "deal" is.  If the deal is 1 thing for 1 dollar they will go for that, if its 2 things for 2 dollars they will go for that, if its 3 things for 3.33 they will go for that.

And more to the point DiGiornio, why do you think I care how the delivery driver gets my pizza to me?  I don't care if he is some stoner kid, as long as he isn't putting boogers on my pizza I don't really care.

That reminds me:

In this one DiGiorno ad, they show a delivery guy doing his rounds, and there''s a pizza box in the back of the car bouncing and jouncing around like its a pizza made with jumping beans or something. I'm pretty sure that that is a thing that never happens, and even if it is, how the hell does it make the pizza taste bad, which is the most important thing? If I order a pizza, you could bring it to me on a magic carpet, and unless it got run over by a garbage truck, you're not going to hear any complaints from me.

• Love 7

I saw a KIA commercial that had folks make cookies or crackers in car shapes, lots of cookie pans with the exact same car shape. The usual blather about how they are different from other companies that make all the same, boring cars. [/b][/i](UK). )

I'm too distracted listening to Christopher Walken's voiceover. Christopher Walken!

V. Cool.

• Love 3
In this one DiGiorno ad, they show a delivery guy doing his rounds, and there''s a pizza box in the back of the car bouncing and jouncing around like its a pizza made with jumping beans or something. I'm pretty sure that that is a thing that never happens, and even if it is, how the hell does it make the pizza taste bad, which is the most important thing? If I order a pizza, you could bring it to me on a magic carpet, and unless it got run over by a garbage truck, you're not going to hear any complaints from me.

I think the idea is that when the pizza arrives to you the cheese will be stuck to the top of the box or it will be cold because it's not in one of those thermal bags or perhaps that the box and/or pizza will be damaged in some sort of way *shrug* IDK. 

I am a connoisseur of pizza and in my YEARS of having it delivered to me I've never experience anything like that so why now it's all of a sudden a problem is odd to me as well. 

• Love 3

Furthermore, she locked her mother out of her own bathroom and IGNORED her mother demanding to be let in.

I am assuming that the 2 for $2 is replacing the dollar menu. 

And since they only have 4 items on it, families coming in will end up spending some money, because someone in the family will want something not on the 2 for 2 menu.

That's the plan. :-)

This ad and the other one with the kids bathing the ugly dog bug me from a storytelling perspective. I feel like they end too abruptly; we should get a coda shot of the clean, happy dog playing with the kids or the girl admiring her purple hair while Mom smiles in the background, having saved her family from their grubby selves.

In the case of the little girl, a shot of her being unable to sit in a chair.

• Love 4

think the idea is that when the pizza arrives to you the cheese will be stuck to the top of the box or it will be cold because it's not in one of those thermal bags or perhaps that the box and/or pizza will be damaged in some sort of way *shrug* IDK.

I don't see how getting a delivery pizza cold would be an argument in favor of one that's frozen. I remember one pizza that had come apart a bit, presumably from a sudden stop en route. It didn't hurt it any. It's been a long, long time since I've seen the cheese stuck to the box; either they're using a cheese that's less sticky, or are greasing it up better.

• Love 2

either they're using a cheese that's less sticky, or are greasing it up better.

and they have those little plastic spacers for the middle of the pie that hold the box up.   Mmmmmm...pizza.

• Love 8

That reminds me:

This is the same commercial I think of as "the stoner kid" commercial.  And like you, I don't really care how my delivery pizza is getting to me as long as it is greasy and delicious and booger free.  And it always is.  I just don't see how the delivery driver, in and of himself, has any bearing on whether I try a DiGiorno pizza, as you pointed out.

My pizza drivers always look like incredibly slow drivers afraid of what an accident will do to their car insurance rates.  Having driven behind a few pizza drivers in my neighborhood, I can assure you that this is the truth!

• Love 1

Message to the Nation Of France:

PLEASE come and get your Statue

Then liberty mutual commercials will have to go away

What happened to commercials that were informative?  Common Sense? Without the .1 pica fine print at the end for .1 seconds? Maybe even entertaining? Without trying to sell you some FDA approved rat poison like xaerlto (sp? and don't care)? Or even better seeing the same F-in ads every other 2 minutes?

To the marketers and the station managers - run those ads back to back or close to it ( I WONT BUY IT - even if it makes me 6-5 with a 6yr college degree and 500k tax free income with a hot wife and girlfriend:))

just one more thing for today - can anyone tell me where Christians go to "mingle"?

• Love 6

I've seen that commercial.  I think what DiGiorno is going for is control. When you order a pizza, you're not in control, because you don' t know who's driving the car, you don't know what condition the pizza will be in when it gets to you; whereas if you buy Digiorno, you're in control; you can decide when and where you're going to have your pizza.

• Love 1

I've seen that commercial.  I think what DiGiorno is going for is control. When you order a pizza, you're not in control, because you don' t know who's driving the car, you don't know what condition the pizza will be in when it gets to you; whereas if you buy Digiorno, you're in control; you can decide when and where you're going to have your pizza.

That's the best way to describe it!

just one more thing for today - can anyone tell me where Christians go to "mingle"?

I don't necessarily mind the Christians dating site but if we are going to advertise dating based on a religion then why not have one designed for other religions as well or see some ads for dating in the LGBT community.

• Love 2

I don't necessarily mind the Christians dating site but if we are going to advertise dating based on a religion then why not have one designed for other religions as well or see some ads for dating in the LGBT community.

That's on those other dating sites to advertise though. If they don't want to, or can't for budgetary reasons, the Christian dating sites aren't to blame.
  • Love 11

There is a commercial running frequently that has people trying to guess the make/cost of a car with all identifying logos removed. It's an Impala, which I'm sure is a lovely car, but no way is it going to be confused with a Lexus. And one woman guesses it costs $80k. Really?

eta: Oops, it's a Malibu, not Impala. Still...

And it's not like a BMW has a unique body shape or anything.  Sheesh.

• Love 3

You are correct, DiGiornio, you're not delivery, and you could never be mistaken for delivery unless the people eating you are drunk or high.

It's good enough for frozen pizza, but even mediocre fresh pizza is better.  (Although, truth be told, I'd rather eat DiGiornio than the crap sold at Papa John's.)

• Love 9

Message to the Nation Of France:

PLEASE come and get your Statue

Then liberty mutual commercials will have to go away

What happened to commercials that were informative? Common Sense? Without the .1 pica fine print at the end for .1 seconds? Maybe even entertaining? Without trying to sell you some FDA approved rat poison like xaerlto (sp? and don't care)? Or even better seeing the same F-in ads every other 2 minutes?

To the marketers and the station managers - run those ads back to back or close to it ( I WONT BUY IT - even if it makes me 6-5 with a 6yr college degree and 500k tax free income with a hot wife and girlfriend:))

Church?

• Love 5

I only hope this ring comes with a little countdown clock to tell you when you can expect it to turn your finger green.

The announcer claims that it is a "simulated" diamond.

I'm pretty sure the technical term for that is "glass".

• Love 2

There's a local California-only Toyota ad where this guy is painting himself all over like a football fan (and we get to see all of his pudgy body while he's painting) telling us that the upcoming Toyota sale is going to be the "greatest thing in the history of California."

That's the best way to describe it!

I've already seen several different TV ads for a service called JDate; "The Leading Jewish Singles Network."

BTW I did a Google search, and got three Amish dating sites listed on just the first page of results.

• Love 1

I suspect that it's for the teenagers who are doing the rumspringa thing, before making the final decision to either join the church for good or leave the community.

Rumspriga is absolutely fascinating to me.  The documentaries about it are just interesting.  I'm interested that technology and online dating can potentially change the experience for those kids.  I know that something like 90-95% of them end up back at the church, but I've always wondered if that number was so high, in part, because they just put these kids out in the world with no resources and no real education (even though most of them had a killer work ethic and some of their baked goods looked phenomenal).  With the internet they may have access to more experiences and more of the world and perhaps that could make a difference...or not!

• Love 7

So I've realized with startling clarity where I get my sense of humor from. I was at my mom's house for dinner earlier this evening, and we were randomly watching the news when an ad for Monistat came on. The woman in the ad was talking about feminine odor and how the product in question puts a stop to it, yadda yadda, and my seventy-four year old mother turns to me and says, "If she's too stupid to know how to wash her crotch properly, how will she know how to find Monistat in a store?"

• Love 24

So I've realized with startling clarity where I get my sense of humor from. I was at my mom's house for dinner earlier this evening, and we were randomly watching the news when an ad for Monistat came on. The woman in the ad was talking about feminine odor and how the product in question puts a stop to it, yadda yadda, and my seventy-four year old mother turns to me and says, "If she's too stupid to know how to wash her crotch properly, how will she know how to find Monistat in a store?"

LMAO!  Your mom sounds like a spitfire!

• Love 3

Rumspringa is absolutely fascinating to me.  The documentaries about it are just interesting.  I'm interested that technology and online dating can potentially change the experience for those kids.  I know that something like 90-95% of them end up back at the church, but I've always wondered if that number was so high, in part, because they just put these kids out in the world with no resources and no real education (even though most of them had a killer work ethic and some of their baked goods looked phenomenal).  With the internet they may have access to more experiences and more of the world and perhaps that could make a difference...or not!

I think the majority of them stay mostly because it's all they know and change is scary. If they return after Rumspringa, they will be baptized into the church and from that day forward must adhere to church teachings. If they change their minds and leave again after formally joining the church, they are shunned, even by their family. Interestingly, they aren't allowed to formally join the church until after Rumspringa. 

Edited by riley702
  • Love 3

I hate the new Geico commercial with the two guys lifting weights and the one guy's body is miraculously changing throughout, but he keeps his ugly face.  Why would that get me to buy Geico insurance?  

Can't stand DiGiorno pizza as the crust is so doughy.  We order pizza all the time, and it's never come stuck to a box or messed up.  Just love how ad agencies like to make things up that aren't true.  

There are dating sites for just about any kind of person.  There are sites for disabled persons, overweight, transgender (I know a guy who became a woman and she goes on that site a lot), cross dressers and everything else.  But I didn't know until today about the Amish.  When you think of it, it's kind of funny.  

• Love 2