Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

• Start Topic

Ew ew ew. There’s an eharmony “get who gets you” ad running now where one partner is happy to pop the other’s pimple. Was this already posted here? If so my brain must have bleached it out already. 

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 6
  • Thanks 1

So there's this "cordless" thing that's a combination fan and light. You just screw it into normal light sockets. Which have wires/cords. So the "cordless" term is just thrown in there to make it sound fancier. Oy. 

• LOL 4

I saw a Lume/Mando combo commercial. 

The full body deodorant craze is booming.  I can't remember buying anything other than Secret including travel size for so long that I don't pay attention to other brands.

But Secret's full body deodorant ad is so annoying that I'm switching. Recommendations accepted 

• Like 2
  • Applause 2

I hate the ads that take up, like, an entire commercial break that come off more like one of those infomercials

Case in point: the ad for Meaningful Beauty. It goes on and on and on. And notice how Cindy Crawford's age isn't mentioned anymore. Magical melon cream keeps Cindy looking fabulous! Suuuuuuuure. 

• Like 9
  • LOL 5

Not buying and using a product that's working for me would be like cutting off my nose to spite my face. My husband and I both use Secret, have for decades. Not changing because of a commercial.

• Like 7
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

The prescription commercial with the teacher that won't put his coffee down. Why? He's holding it while he teaches, and when he's talking to a student. It's weird.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
8 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Not buying and using a product that's working for me would be like cutting off my nose to spite my face. My husband and I both use Secret, have for decades. Not changing because of a commercial.

I don't see why people need this at all unless you work a sweaty job in close quarters with other people. Or you just like to go days without showering! 

• Like 4
(edited)
7 hours ago, xls said:

I don't see why people need this at all unless you work a sweaty job in close quarters with other people. Or you just like to go days without showering! 

I wasn't referring to the 72-hour Secret product, just plain old Secret. I don't have a need for a 72-hour deodorant. I'm not going to stop using regular Secret that has worked for me for decades because Secret has now come out with and are advertising a 72-hour product. That is what makes no sense to me.

Edited by chessiegal
  • Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
20 hours ago, tres bien said:

The full body deodorant craze is booming.  I can't remember buying anything other than Secret including travel size for so long that I don't pay attention to other brands.

But Secret's full body deodorant ad is so annoying that I'm switching. Recommendations accepted 

I switched to Suave years ago because it's less expensive than Secret and worked just as well for me.

20 hours ago, mmecorday said:

Case in point: the ad for Meaningful Beauty. It goes on and on and on. And notice how Cindy Crawford's age isn't mentioned anymore. Magical melon cream keeps Cindy looking fabulous! Suuuuuuuure. 

Yep, the genetic luck of the draw had nothing to do with that.  It's all the melon cream.

• Like 7
3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Yep, the genetic luck of the draw had nothing to do with that.  It's all the melon cream.

That's why I roll my eyes at the version of the commercial that includes her mom.  I'm not going to buy that this magical melon is why Cindy Crawford is gorgeous, period, but to actually show me her genetic leg up seems rather foolish from a marketing perspective.

• Like 7

Well, just saw the 500th fucking “full-body” commercial (which I muted as soon as I heard one of the buzzwords…”all over”).  You can’t swing a dead cat without one of these assailing your eardrums & eyeballs.

I would love for Jason Kelce to start running counterpoint ads (#IYKYK)…his latest rant is his confession he only washes his “hot zones” and anyone else who says different is in thrall to Big Soap 🤣 

Speaking as an in-betweener myself, I believe Jason is our last line of defense.  

• Like 1
  • LOL 12
23 hours ago, Gharlane said:

I am beyond tired of the full body and nether regions deodorant commercials. 

I only wish the people who need it will use it. Probably not. If they stink like that, they don't pay attention to TV commercials either. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
9 hours ago, voiceover said:

I would love for Jason Kelce to start running counterpoint ads (#IYKYK)…his latest rant is his confession he only washes his “hot zones” and anyone else who says different is in thrall to Big Soap 🤣 

I cannot remember which celebrity couple it is but wealthy enough to afford hot water but do not believe in bathing their children very often...I guess they wait till someone tells them their kids stink?

• Mind Blown 3
20 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

The full body deodorant craze is booming. 

Turns out that Lume was acquired by Harry's in 2021, so that's where the money came from to flood the ad market and create an entirely new product category.

• Angry 1
  • Useful 10

So hear me out:

It appears that the “full-body” craze is the most hated of the “Commercials That Annoy, Irritate, or Outright Enrage”, with that Lume chick leading the pack.

Why don’t we dedicate a single thread to them, and all of us take it in turn to post, avowing our undying loathing for the product & its pushers; then a mod can lock the thread and sunset it; then: hey presto! the commercials will be gone, because we have willed it so!

Eh.  Just a thought.

• Like 1
  • LOL 13
(edited)
4 hours ago, SG429 said:

Turns out that Lume was acquired by Harry's in 2021, so that's where the money came from to flood the ad market and create an entirely new product category.

This probably explains why I think Harry's ads are as annoying as hell too

Edited by tres bien
  • Like 2
  • Useful 1
(edited)
6 hours ago, Baltimore Betty said:

I cannot remember which celebrity couple it is but wealthy enough to afford hot water but do not believe in bathing their children very often...I guess they wait till someone tells them their kids stink?

I just realized I should have answered in Small Talk, so I moved it there.

Edited by Bastet

The newest iteration of the Jardiance ad/jingle with the black guy as the 'star performer' takes what was already crazy cheesy to a new level. It's so over the top that it actually makes me laugh.

Speaking of laughing, the latest Mando ad with the Da Vinci Vitruvian Man talking about how he needs help because he has extra arms is pretty funny (and I still hate Dr. Shannon and all her works).

• Like 4

Yes, Lume and all the associated products and ads are repulsive; the message that human beings by definition have an offensive odor is entirely disrespectful.  So this is a minor quibble, but the one in which Dr Shannon talks about how “they (women) are made to feel bad about odor on other parts of OUR bodies” makes the grammar Nazi in me scream.  Just another reason to disregard the whole slew of them!

• Like 8
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, OldStandard said:

So this is a minor quibble, but the one in which Dr Shannon talks about how “they (women) are made to feel bad about odor on other parts of OUR bodies” makes the grammar Nazi in me scream.

I was so offended by the message and by her not recognizing that she's doing exactly what she's accusing "Them" of doing that I didn't even pick up on the grammar issue.  Stannis Baratheon would be so disappointed.

• Like 6
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 2
On 6/16/2024 at 11:10 PM, proserpina65 said:

I was so offended by the message and by her not recognizing that she's doing exactly what she's accusing "Them" of doing that I didn't even pick up on the grammar issue.  Stannis Baratheon would be so disappointed.

Yes, it appears that she's a profiteering hypocrite. ..in addition to having a rather annoying and obnoxious personality. Why am I not surprised?

• Like 5

The C-PaP commercials where they are in a therapy group and everyone is wearing their C-PaP. You only wear those when sleeping!!! Such stupidity!

• Like 13
On 6/16/2024 at 5:20 PM, OldStandard said:

Yes, Lume and all the associated products and ads are repulsive; the message that human beings by definition have an offensive odor is entirely disrespectful.  So this is a minor quibble, but the one in which Dr Shannon talks about how “they (women) are made to feel bad about odor on other parts of OUR bodies” makes the grammar Nazi in me scream.  Just another reason to disregard the whole slew of them!

👍

Dr Lume has to be one of the most putrid spokesperson on TV. 

It's depressing that a woman that's a gynecologist has made a living body shaming women. At least that's how I interpret Lume commercials

I now appreciate the commercials that Dove (used to run haven't seen them lately) that showed women of all types with the message to embrace who you are 

• Like 11
  • Applause 4
On 1/11/2024 at 7:28 AM, Haleth said:

Christina has the most annoying way of uptalking every sentence.  I don't know how they allowed her commercials to air.

I was looking to see if someone commented on the uptalking!  It is soooo annoying!

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Raiderred said:

Christina has the most annoying way of uptalking every sentence.  I don't know how they allowed her commercials to air.

I was looking to see if someone commented on the uptalking!  It is soooo annoying!

I've said this before, Christina must have a good agent. She has more than 1 tv show, where she's doing upspeak. I used to help teach the forensic scientists in our lab on courtroom procedures. One thing we had to teach them, mostly women, was not to upspeak. When they are testifying in court, it makes them sound like they are asking a question even though they are making a declarative sentence.

• Like 10
12 hours ago, tres bien said:

👍

Dr Lume has to be one of the most putrid spokesperson on TV. 

It's depressing that a woman that's a gynecologist has made a living body shaming women. At least that's how I interpret Lume commercials

I now appreciate the commercials that Dove (used to run haven't seen them lately) that showed women of all types with the message to embrace who you are 

I miss those Dove commercials too they were actually relatable. I don't even want to think of how many women Dr. Lume had made paranoid thinking they might smell to others when they really don't. Getting people like that worked up means sales though. I have the Food Network on  for background noise usually and her commercials are on during just about every break. She must have filmed a bazillion of them because I rarely see the same one twice for long periods of time. 

• Like 6
  • Mind Blown 1
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, Jaded said:

I miss those Dove commercials too they were actually relatable. I don't even want to think of how many women Dr. Lume had made paranoid thinking they might smell to others when they really don't. Getting people like that worked up means sales though. I have the Food Network on  for background noise usually and her commercials are on during just about every break. She must have filmed a bazillion of them because I rarely see the same one twice for long periods of time. 

Could someone tell me why these appetite ruining ads are airing on- the Food Network?!

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 5
18 hours ago, Blergh said:

Could someone tell me why these appetite ruining ads are airing on- the Food Network?!

One of the reasons I rarely watch anything live on that channel. So gross and such a turn off.

• Like 2
19 hours ago, Deskisamess said:

One of the reasons I rarely watch anything live on that channel. So gross and such a turn off.

Agree and will continue this in Small Talk!

(edited)
On 4/18/2024 at 7:30 AM, tres bien said:

Kars for Kids. How old are they? Seems like this has been on forever. And not to long ago they added donate your real estate. Any kind accepted 

I just saw an ad featuring a cute kid holding one of those faux guitars. The faux band kids must be ready to enter college by now. Can't remember what the ad was plugging as I was wondering if this is a whole new ad. The "band" ad still shows up (husband loathes it 😆). Maybe it was real estate.

Edited by annzeepark914
  • Like 3

Ok, someone explain to me the Kayak Travel commercial with the older lady turning herself into a scarecrow. It is downright freaky, and would scare the crap out of little kids.

Who are the ad execs who come up with this crap? And why do the companies pay for it? Burger King...I'm talking to you!

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Deskisamess said:

Ok, someone explain to me the Kayak Travel commercial with the older lady turning herself into a scarecrow. It is downright freaky, and would scare the crap out of little kids.

@dleighg explained it very well in the Say What thread.

Kayak is yet another booking company that purports to get you the best deal on your hotel or flight or whatever, and it's easy. The ad is showing someone who doesn't believe in "easy" and wants to do everything herself, so she has to be the scarecrow. At least this ad is much better than the one where the guy doesn't use a vacuum and instead floats himself all over his floor sucking up debris. Yes, with his mouth.

• Mind Blown 3
  • Thanks 1

Does anyone else think that Allstate's new ads are a bit tone deaf contrasting their alleged model 'safe' drivers from kooks in other vehicles?

I mean, yes the 'safe'  alleged model drivers aren't painting their nails or having screaming ,crying arguments,etc. but they DO have their Smartphones mounted with the Allstate logo  on being displayed on them and appear to be frequently glancing at said Smartphones instead of strictly  keeping their eyes on the road.  Even a hands-free device connected to a car stereo system is NOT as safe as driving with NO phones visible while solely focusing on the road and other vehicles!

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
On 6/22/2024 at 1:18 PM, Palimelon said:

The Budweiser Wassup commercials were some of the worst, most annoying commercials ever.

Agree, however every now and then I find myself saying "wassup".  I guess it's stuck in my brain.  Just me?

• Like 3
4 hours ago, cynicat said:

Agree, however every now and then I find myself saying "wassup".  I guess it's stuck in my brain.  Just me?

Nope, not just you.

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
On 6/1/2024 at 8:02 AM, Haleth said:

Speaking of delivery services I really really hate the line of Uber Eats commercials about people forgetting how to do things.  They are all stupid.

While I am not fond of the Uber Eats commercials with people forgetting things, the one that annoys me has a man who forget how to sit in a chair... in full view of a man who is already sitting in one! 

• Like 2
  • Applause 2

I wonder what happened to the Shatner CPAP cleaning machine commercials.  When they first came out, I thought of getting one for my brother, but I read the reviews on Amazon and yowza that was a crap machine, not a cpap. 

Ah! "SoClean" - it's still on Amazon with 3½ stars. 22% are only 1 star.

But the ads were everywhere and then they went away.  If only the same thing would happen to Lume.

• Like 1
  • Applause 5
  • Useful 1

I want to shoot my TV every time the Progressive commercial comes on with the guy saying his staircase was his pride and joy.  It’s got to be the dumbest commercial, and makes no sense. Come on, it’s a freaking staircase.  

Why are so many commercials emasculating black men?  The big guy who cries that his plant died?  Another black man who cries because his favorite chandelier was sold?  The guy who wears the purple Wayfair suit and gets upset about everything?  And of course, Mr Pride and Joy.  Can’t these ad agencies make their point without making these men look pathetic?  

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, KLovestoShop said:

I want to shoot my TV every time the Progressive commercial comes on with the guy saying his staircase was his pride and joy.  It’s got to be the dumbest commercial, and makes no sense. Come on, it’s a freaking staircase.  

Why are so many commercials emasculating black men?  The big guy who cries that his plant died?  Another black man who cries because his favorite chandelier was sold?  The guy who wears the purple Wayfair suit and gets upset about everything?  And of course, Mr Pride and Joy.  Can’t these ad agencies make their point without making these men look pathetic?  

If it makes you feel any better, I don’t remember ever seeing a couple of those, and assuming Mr. Pride and Joy is the staircase guy, I’ve probably seen that ad dozens of times but gun to my head I couldn’t have told you what race/ethnicity he was. At least for me, most ads do a pretty much equal opportunity job of making just about everyone look like a clueless doofus. 

• Like 9
  • Useful 1
On 6/24/2024 at 3:44 AM, cynicat said:

No, I'm guilty of saying "wassup" to my cat on occasion.

• Like 3
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
(edited)

A flea collar commercial. A guy puts the collar on his cat, lets the cat outside, and happily yells, “Be back before dark!” And off goes the cat. This is sending a message that, to me, is very irresponsible (and stressful!).

Just for benefit-of-the-doubt purposes, maybe there was a fenced-in yard or something like that. I didn’t see one though.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 6
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Applause 4
  • Love 1