Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

At least I haven't seen a Jimmy Dean commercial that used his voice or image in a horrifying way like that posthumous Orville Redenbacher ad. I spent that whole thing waiting for him to pivot from hawking microwave popcorn to chasing down onlookers for their yummy brains.

• LOL 12
(edited)
11 hours ago, Maverick said:

Yes, HE sold the rights to use his image a very long time ago for a very large sum.  That was his choice and the company is legally making use of what they bought from so I don't see anything offensive.  

The company has every legal right to use his image but that doesn't mean I can't find those commercials creepy.

I don't, however, have any problem with commercials using songs by deceased artists as long as the product being sold isn't completely at odds with the topic of the song.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 10

I don't, however, have any problem with commercials using songs by deceased artists as long as the product being sold isn't completely at odds with the topic of the song.

It happens all the time. I don't know why they don't listen to the lyrics.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

The company has every legal right to use his image but that doesn't mean I can't find those commercials creepy.

ITA with both your points.

I guess by someone's logic, all classical music should be banned from being used in commercials because the artists, such as Beethoven and Mozart to name just two, are ...

dead!

No Beatles music either because two of the four lads from Liverpool sadly left us too soon.  😭

Which brings me to the AirBnB commercial which has some breathy, mediocre woman butchering one of the best songs of all time, Beatles or otherwise, "In My Life."  I Hate That Commerical!

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Phebemarie said:

This feels more like a political ad than a commercial for a car warranty.  

"We Americans care about our country" was the most egregious, but, yeah, that's an all-around awful commercial for stoking political fervor in service of ... what, that great American tradition of extended warranties, which generally cost more in premiums than they pay out in benefits, especially when it comes to cars?  Piss off, CarShield.

• Love 14
On 3/7/2022 at 10:04 PM, Maverick said:

Yes, HE sold the rights to use his image a very long time ago for a very large sum.  That was his choice and the company is legally making use of what they bought from so I don't see anything offensive.  

Yes, if the artist or the artist's estate sells the rights to work or image, the purchasing company can do what they like with them, just like anything else legally purchased. I don't see what is offensive about that either. Whoever is offended is free not to buy the product, or in this case, watch the ad.

3 hours ago, Bastet said:

"We Americans care about our country" was the most egregious, but, yeah, that's an all-around awful commercial for stoking political fervor in service of ... what, that great American tradition of extended warranties, which generally cost more in premiums than they pay out in benefits, especially when it comes to cars?  Piss off, CarShield.

That is true of many, if not all insurance plans. It is hardly the bad behavior of only one company.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, susannah said:

That is true of many, if not all insurance plans. It is hardly the bad behavior of only one company.

I wouldn't really call it bad behavior. How would insurance comapnies exist if they charged in premiums less than they were likely to have to pay out?  Or even the exact same amount?  

• Love 4
20 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

At least I haven't seen a Jimmy Dean commercial that used his voice or image in a horrifying way like that posthumous Orville Redenbacher ad. I spent that whole thing waiting for him to pivot from hawking microwave popcorn to chasing down onlookers for their yummy brains.

What posthumous Orville Redenbacher ad? When did he die?

9 hours ago, Phebemarie said:

This feels more like a political ad than a commercial for a car warranty.  

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/q0cm/carshield-breaking-point

Screenshot_20211003-083706_Facebook.jpg

• LOL 7
3 hours ago, Gharlane said:

What posthumous Orville Redenbacher ad? When did he die?

Quite a while ago.  Those commercials were quite horrifying.  IIRC, they didn't stick around long.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Katy M said:

I wouldn't really call it bad behavior. How would insurance comapnies exist if they charged in premiums less than they were likely to have to pay out?  Or even the exact same amount?  

I don't think it is bad behavior either. I used the phrase in regard to the previous post which did infer that the company in the ad was evil, IMO mistakenly. It is how insurance companies work.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, susannah said:

I was responding to the issue raised by the OP, the excessive use of "rah, rah, America!" language, in agreeing with their criticism of that CarShield commercial; the basics of extended warranties were just in reference to how irrelevant such sentiment is to the service being advertised (since it's hardly a grand American tradition), making it  this odd bit of pandering that, like OP said, sounds more like a campaign ad than a regular commercial.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 9
On 3/9/2022 at 4:34 AM, Gharlane said:

posthumous Orville Redenbacher ad

Oddly enough I don't remember ever seeing this ad.  Must have been pulled really quick!  I'm guessing they had complaints due to the shameless recycling of a previous commercial and very bad dubbing.  Would it have killed them to find a lookalike to continue the brand?  The Maytag repairman was recast a few times after the passing of Jesse White and Gordon Jump.

Imagine how soon we'll be seeing deep fakes of him and other deceased icons shilling products!  Yikes!!

IMO, even when he was actually still living, the late Orville Redenbacher had an uncanny resemblance to a geriatric  Carl 'Alfalfa' Switzer which added nothing to the product's supposed appeal. 

Edited by Blergh
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

At least Jimmy Dean is just talking about sausage and hasn't been turned into a weird character like Colonel Sanders. If I were to get offended over the use of a dead person's image, it would be over something like that and not Jimmy Dean.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
On 3/10/2022 at 11:50 AM, magicdog said:

Oddly enough I don't remember ever seeing this ad.  Must have been pulled really quick!  I'm guessing they had complaints due to the shameless recycling of a previous commercial and very bad dubbing.  Would it have killed them to find a lookalike to continue the brand?  The Maytag repairman was recast a few times after the passing of Jesse White and Gordon Jump.

Imagine how soon we'll be seeing deep fakes of him and other deceased icons shilling products!  Yikes!!

I always felt so sorry for Jesse White, the quintessential lonely repairman! He brought the sad. I didn't like Gordon Jump.

• Love 4

Gardasil 9.  HPV protecting but the list of what they are protecting you against. They are like you can get cervical, vaginal, vulvar, anal and certain throat and mouth cancers. I don't have enough things to worry about. 

8 hours ago, janie jones said:

At least Jimmy Dean is just talking about sausage and hasn't been turned into a weird character like Colonel Sanders. If I were to get offended over the use of a dead person's image, it would be over something like that and not Jimmy Dean.

He is promoting his sausage, so it's not something too weird. Colonel Sanders though.

• Love 3

Yall. I hate the drive time commercials. Every time I see them I want to throw things at the redhead. All of them irritate but in particular I *hate* with all of the passion and energy that I have inside of me the one where the redheaded is telling a customer that he can get his downpayment quote and the black guy keeps interrupting that you can get your monthly payment as well. She *annoys me* so very much. I would think considering that your monthly payment is something that is going to be a part of your life budget for a few years is just as important--if not more so--than the downpayment but the redhead keeps cutting dude off and getting attitude which makes him get attitude and both of them need to shut up forever. 

Also. The Folgers commercial. Isnt the whole point of a brand the reputation? So the song lyric, "I dont give a damn about my reputation!" I always find myself thinking....but...shouldnt you, though? Isnt that the point? I guess its supposed to be the woman whos buying the coffee in spite of the judgy eyes and *she* doesnt care about her rep, shes going to drink all of this coffee anyway! But even that doesnt say anything good for the brand. And again...isnt that the point?

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Occasionally I watch The Rockford Files on GetTV. It has started to feel like an hour-long Car Shield commercial with a few minutes of the show sprinkled in here and there. 😠

Good tie-in with all those obligatory car chase scenes. EVERY damn episode had a car chase.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 9

The "Balance of Nature " commercials aggravate me, especially the ones that claim there's  NO WAY THEY COULD EVER eat the 5-6 fruit and vegetables needed every day. 

Really? 1/2 banana = 1 serving; 1/2 cup orange juice; 1/2 cup green beans or squash or pumpkin or tomato...

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
2 minutes ago, Colleenna said:

The "Balance of Nature " commercials aggravate me, especially the ones that claim there's  NO WAY THEY COULD EVER eat the 5-6 fruit and vegetables needed every day. 

oh man I'm totally with you. "It's IMPOSSIBLE!"

And if some powdered something in a bill can substitute for the fiber and everything else in real fruit.... I will eat my hat as the saying goes. And that 50-something woman who is a coach and has run extreme marathons etc. says "It's scientific." Um I don't think so.

• Love 7
On 3/11/2022 at 4:37 PM, susannah said:

I always felt so sorry for Jesse White, the quintessential lonely repairman! He brought the sad. I didn't like Gordon Jump.

Yeah, the late Mr. White had had a lengthy career playing villains and/or losers so viewers could feel sorry for him being the lonely Maytag repairman whereas the late Mr. Jump's main claim to fame had been playing the totally incompetent  Mr. 'Big Guy' Carlson on WKRP  which got the viewers to wonder how safe their Maytags would be if he got anywhere near them!

• Love 6

Dexcom commercial with Abby crying about how she discovered she loved hiking and running. Ah, you could always do those things if you have diabetes. Exercise is one of the main things your suppose to do to keep diabetes under control. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Blergh said:

Yeah, the late Mr. White had had a lengthy career playing villains and/or losers so viewers could feel sorry for him being the lonely Maytag repairman whereas the late Mr. Jump's main claim to fame had been playing the totally incompetent  Mr. 'Big Guy' Carlson on WKRP  which got the viewers to wonder how safe their Maytags would be if he got anywhere near them!

"As god is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!"

• LOL 16
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Too bad they didn't have Mr. Jump say the phrase,"As God is my witness, I thought dishwashers could fly!" LOL

• Love 3
6 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

To this day still the funniest half hour of television ever.

11 hours ago, Colleenna said:

Really? 1/2 banana = 1 serving; 1/2 cup orange juice; 1/2 cup green beans or squash or pumpkin or tomato...

These commercials infuriate me too.   A rebranded vitamin is not going to take the place of real fruits and vegetables.

• Love 7
On 3/12/2022 at 2:44 AM, TattleTeeny said:

I know we have addressed it before but, oh my god—will people in commercials ever NOT pronounce “new” and “food” weirdly?! (“Nee-oo” and “fe-uhd”)

For me, it's "melty". 

• Love 5
On 3/2/2022 at 10:32 PM, CrystalBlue said:

I hate the ad for ProNamel toothpaste - the dentist who's touting it has a voice that makes my stomach churn.

Is this the one with the lady dentist who talks as if she barely opens her mouth?

On 3/2/2022 at 6:00 PM, susannah said:

I love Kelly but whoever is dressing her is doing her no favors. And the one where she is sitting in the chair she looks so uncomfortable

I do believe her awkward sitting may be due to a very constrictive body shaper/spanx/etc she may be wearing underneath. I remember watching a miniseries called The Buccaneers and one of the actresses was a bit plump (it was Carla Gugino back in 1995), but you can tell she had a really tight corset on under her period dress.  In one scene when she was sitting on a sofa, she looked about to slide right off because it was probably so tight she couldn't bend her body enough to sit upright

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

It's a shame that Daily Harvest can't find an advertising agency to make its food look appetizing on TV. I feel sorry for the little girl who thinks the brown sludge she's sipping through a straw is ice cream. "It's not," her mother says. "There's spinach in there!" And then it looks like she's forcing the girl to drink it down.

• Love 5

A commercial that's been bugging me a bit, not up to levels of irritation but...

It's the Dish Network ad where the Mom is listening to the weather and it gets so bad she is ordering everyone into the basement whereupon her young son goes running out the door.

Next scene is them all in the basement, with their 3 dogs, when Dad comes in.

1. If the weather is that bad that you're keeping track of warnings why aren't your dogs already in the house

2. It's a very bad idea for young children to go running outside if the weather is bad enough to send you to the basement. I kept waiting for some kind of disclaimer but nope.

• Love 10
On 3/12/2022 at 6:11 PM, Blergh said:

I only saw him once or twice on WKRP, but I think he also played a pedophile predator on that show with Tahj Mowry. I forget what it was called. He always just looked creepy to me Not someone you would want fixing your appliances!

3 hours ago, ctlady said:

Is this the one with the lady dentist who talks as if she barely opens her mouth?

I do believe her awkward sitting may be due to a very constrictive body shaper/spanx/etc she may be wearing underneath. I remember watching a miniseries called The Buccaneers and one of the actresses was a bit plump (it was Carla Gugino back in 1995), but you can tell she had a really tight corset on under her period dress.  In one scene when she was sitting on a sofa, she looked about to slide right off because it was probably so tight she couldn't bend her body enough to sit upright

That's very possible, and those wide belts just cut her in half also. She is so funny in those ads, so please, wardrobe people, let the woman breathe and sit normally!

• Love 3

Do we live in a world where it's safe or wise for an old lady to solicit phone numbers from strange men at interstate gas stations for her granddaughter to date?  (Her body would fit neatly in the back of his pickup truck.)  Not sure two milkshakes at a time is smart either, given the high rates of obesity and diabetes these days.   Grandma making slurping sounds with the straw made me think of an enfeebled nursing home resident.  But whatever, as long as you drive a Subaru it's all good.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7

At least she got his number, rather than gave him her granddaughter's, and she didn't drag them into a meeting.  The granddaughter's "That guy was cute, though, right?" later and the lack of any "So you're going to call him?" at the end leaves me with the impression she doesn't plan on calling him; it plays to me like getting his number after she noticed her granddaughter noticing him was just one of the silly things Grandma did on their outing (like ordering them a bonus milkshake) and they had fun together.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, dgpolo said:

A commercial that's been bugging me a bit, not up to levels of irritation but...

It's the Dish Network ad where the Mom is listening to the weather and it gets so bad she is ordering everyone into the basement whereupon her young son goes running out the door.

Next scene is them all in the basement, with their 3 dogs, when Dad comes in.

1. If the weather is that bad that you're keeping track of warnings why aren't your dogs already in the house

2. It's a very bad idea for young children to go running outside if the weather is bad enough to send you to the basement. I kept waiting for some kind of disclaimer but nope.

1. I haven't seen the commercial, but maybe Dad was outside rounding up the doggy trio to save them and bring them in?

2. Do Not Try This At Home!

• Love 2
1 minute ago, ctlady said:

Subuaru needs to stick with dogs to sell their vehicles

I knew a copywriter once who wanted to put dogs in every promotion she did, print ad, commercial, etc.   She was firmly convinced that any promotion featuring a dog, regardless of the product, was bound to be successful.

• LOL 3
  • Love 9
13 minutes ago, millennium said:

I knew a copywriter once who wanted to put dogs in every promotion she did, print ad, commercial, etc.   She was firmly convinced that any promotion featuring a dog, regardless of the product, was bound to be successful.

I think that she's correct to a large degree!  🐶

• Love 12
1 hour ago, susannah said:

I only saw him once or twice on WKRP, but I think he also played a pedophile predator on that show with Tahj Mowry. I forget what it was called. He always just looked creepy to me Not someone you would want fixing your appliances!

He played a bicycle repairman on Different Strokes

51 minutes ago, millennium said:

Do we live in a world where it's safe or wise for an old lady to solicit phone numbers from strange men at interstate gas stations for her granddaughter to date?  (Her body would fit neatly in the back of his pickup truck.)  Not sure two milkshakes at a time is smart either, given the high rates of obesity and diabetes these days.   Grandma making slurping sounds with the straw made me think of an enfeebled nursing home resident. 

Hey! I'm not a  nursing home resident!

12 minutes ago, ctlady said:

Subuaru needs to stick with dogs to sell their vehicles

Please don't, Subuaru. This concept is very played-out.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, millennium said:

Do we live in a world where it's safe or wise for an old lady to solicit phone numbers from strange men at interstate gas stations for her granddaughter to date?  (Her body would fit neatly in the back of his pickup truck.)  Not sure two milkshakes at a time is smart either, given the high rates of obesity and diabetes these days.   Grandma making slurping sounds with the straw made me think of an enfeebled nursing home resident.  But whatever, as long as you drive a Subaru it's all good.

I make the same noise when I'm at the bottom of a cup, and I'm (hopefully) decades away from a nursing home. And the granddaughter and the guy were already making googly eyes at each other, so it isn't like Grandma is getting randos' phone numbers.

Edited by janie jones
  • Useful 2
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

1. I haven't seen the commercial, but maybe Dad was outside rounding up the doggy trio to save them and bring them in?

I just thought that since they went to the basement, that the dogs were already in the house and just went downstairs with them.

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, susannah said:

I just thought that since they went to the basement, that the dogs were already in the house and just went downstairs with them.

I'm pretty sure that's why the boy ran out of the house, both he and the dogs were wet when shown in the basement. Otherwise, why would the boy leave?

• Useful 4
  • Love 3