Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

• Start Topic

11 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I occurs to me that Gain is trying to appeal the young, male demographic. You know, single guys who live on their own or with room mates. They do laundry too.

No they don't. I was taking Greyhound home from college one weekend and all these college boys kept coming in and dropping off bags. Station master confirmed: that was their laundry that they were shipping home to their mothers.

• Love 7
(edited)
9 hours ago, Jamoche said:

No they don't. I was taking Greyhound home from college one weekend and all these college boys kept coming in and dropping off bags. Station master confirmed: that was their laundry that they were shipping home to their mothers.

That's ridiculous. No wonder we're raising a generation of man-babies. My son has been doing his own laundry since he was in high school.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 18

And I (female) was doing our family laundry by the time I was in middle school if not before that. My single mother worked two jobs and I babysat my two younger sisters from age nine. They are three and four years younger than me. It wasn't a good situation, and I certainly don't recommend it, but I've never expected anyone to take care of me.

I don't want to get too "political", so I'll just say I agree with you, @peacheslatour.

Topic? Gain's incredibly strong scent makes me feel like like my throat is closing up. I don't need my clothes to smell like Sparkling Fresh Meadow Ocean Glen Crystal Brook Morning Dewy Sunshine. "Clean" is fine. I recommend Seventh Generation, which won't disrupt your hormones.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

That's ridiculous. No wonder we're raising a generation of man-babies. My son has been doing his own laundry since he was in high school.

I'm 53 - those college boys have college boys of their own now.

• Love 7
On 7/3/2018 at 4:22 PM, peacheslatour said:

I occurs to me that Gain is trying to appeal the young, male demographic. You know, single guys who live on their own or with room mates. They do laundry too.

Or not, if they're doing the "sniff test."

On 7/3/2018 at 4:30 PM, Kemper said:

I have been seeing a commercial (on cable, not network) for some preacher (I think...his name may be Poppin or some such) shilling spring water.  If you order the free vial, wonderful things will happen in your life.  They have very amateur-ish "real pepole" touting that they got jobs, loans, etc. when they...don't know.  I don't think they drink it - maybe pray over it?  It is so horrible that I have to wonder where the FCC is on something like this.  A religious person selling snake oil.  

Welcome to "religious freedom" in 21st-century America via the 1950s.

On 7/3/2018 at 10:04 PM, QuinnInND said:

There's an ad for Degree antiperspirant. A high school boy uses it, then goes out for basketball practice with his team. The stupid coach has turned up the heat in the gym to make it hotter, and the boys really get a workout. Everyone is sweating, except the boy who used Degree. So asshole coach says nobody drinks until that boy sweats. Really asshole coach?? You're going to deny athletes water? You ever hear of dehydration? Hate hate hate that coach. 

But the tall, nonsweating basketball player is hot (no pun intended).

11 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Young men not doing their own laundry is not the reason they're "man-babies."

• Love 2

I finally saw the Gain commercial.  If not the worst commercial ever, at least in the top 3.  I cannot imagine who came up with the concept or who is responsible for not yanking it off the air after a couple of showings.  Has it come to this?  Is it not enough that most programming is geared towards young males...now we have commercials deliberately going the gross-out route.

• Love 3
22 minutes ago, Kemper said:

now we have commercials deliberately going the gross-out route.

Baby's ice cream and Skittles pox immediately come to mind.  The gross-out route is not a new phenomenon.  

• Love 6

Why do fast food commercials keep showing their drinks in tall glasses?

Because it's more visually appealing than a wax paper cup, even if it is an inaccurate representation of what you actually get.

• Love 2
(edited)

Well, I mean, I know this...but it's stupid is what I was getting at. It's one thing to use hairspray, glue, and whatever else to make the food look like better version of what it actually is, but adding a something that's never gonna happen is dumb. Plus, we all know what kind of cups are used, especially considering they've been shown for years. 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 3
On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 11:16 AM, NinjaPenguins said:

Apple’s new “Behind the Mac” ad contains a creepy voice tunelessly singing a song while we see a variety of faces wearing a variety of expressions gazing at their laptops. I have to mute it every time. 

I make my husband pause so that when the commercial is over, he can FF it.  I can't stand that out of tune piano, and the horrible horrible warbling.

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 5:29 PM, Brattinella said:

Okay, Liberty Mutual:  You have crossed the threshold into Ridiculous!  "Turning onto my street, I BARELY CLIPPED A PASSING CAR, minor accident, no big deal, right?"  WHAT!!?? 

And now they have that "liber-TY, liber-TY, LI-berty, LI-berty" at the end, making it even worse.

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 3:50 PM, Ilovecomputers said:

There is a disgusting product being advertised (can’t remember its name) to flush out your nose. It has tubes and a box and all kinds of paraphernalia. On the bright side, the thought of cleaning the machinery and slimy tubes works as a marvelous appetite suppressant!

Navage.  As someone who has nose issues, I would love one.

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 10:46 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

But if you left it on, you'd get that test pattern of the Plains Indian in a feathered headdress.

indian.jpg

We only ever got snow once the national anthem played.  No bars either, and no music (one of the NY channels played music when it went off the air on a black screen - we didn't get cable until I was in 6th grade, so I never knew what kids meant at school when they said they stayed up until the music came on).  Just snow.

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 12:46 AM, forumfish said:

When my sister and I were in grade school, we'd sit in front of the TV and play with the channels, to see if we could make funny sentences from the bits and pieces we heard. This was before remote controls were the norm, so we'd turn the channel knob and then after we got cable, it was that slide-lever box. Fun times.

I used to love to shove the lever on the slide box and watch channels fly by.  My dad was not amused.

• Love 1
(edited)

I don't really know where to put this because I'm not outraged by it - mildly annoyed maybe - but I also am not scratching my head over it.

There is a new Axe commercial, and there is some electronic music playing and I SWAEAR the synthesized voice is saying "Suck my balls" over and over again.

Or maybe I'm just going nuts - no pun intended.

Edited by funky-rat
  • Love 5

WARNING: The "Quit Smoking" commercial is back. The one with (real person?/actor?) Brett whose smoking habit gave him gum disease and therefore, he has no real teeth...just dentures. And then he proceeds to remove his dentures while making that gross clicking, smacking noise. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Annber03 said:

They've also been reairing the one with Terri. That one is especially creepy to watch, knowing that she died not long after making that ad. 

I remember that one. I had no idea she died shortly after making that commercial. Hope she got paid well by the anti-smoking campaign organization.

• Love 1
(edited)
14 hours ago, Kemper said:

I finally saw the Gain commercial.  If not the worst commercial ever, at least in the top 3.  I cannot imagine who came up with the concept or who is responsible for not yanking it off the air after a couple of showings.  Has it come to this?  Is it not enough that most programming is geared towards young males...now we have commercials deliberately going the gross-out route.

I saw that commercial too.  I think it really shows how people are becoming boundry-less.  Nothing is sacred, let's show folks on the toilet, let's show folks sniffing other people's underarms.  Nothing is disgusting and nothing is sacred, or private.  And it makes sense, I mean people are on social media sharing themselves with the world, not to mention reality shows where people do a lot more than just simple sharing of themselves, in other words, they have to show their asses.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 9
3 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

I remember that one. I had no idea she died shortly after making that commercial. Hope she got paid well by the anti-smoking campaign organization.

Yeah, she wasn't very old, either. Here's the Wiki page on her:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrie_Hall

I admire her trying to do what she could to help stop others from a similar tragic fate. I hope her efforts continue to prove beneficial. 

• Love 3
15 hours ago, funky-rat said:

Navage.  As someone who has nose issues, I would love one.

You would love a Neilmed Sinus Rinse kit even more.  Much less expensive; available at Costco, regular drugstores, and for some crazy reason, behind the pharmacy counter at Walmart.

I bought a neti pot when I read that people rinsing out their sinuses were about a million times healthier--no colds or allergies, better sleep, etc.  The neti pot system has been around for centuries, but it works on gravity and is messy and awkward.  With the Neilmed bottle you have more control and just gently squeeze the water up into your nose to circulate.  (Try it the first time when you're taking a shower--you'll see it's easy.)  The most amazing part is that the saline + baking soda combination makes it completely pain-free "getting water up your nose."

I am an unpaid spokesmodel.  : )

• Love 8
3 hours ago, candall said:

You would love a Neilmed Sinus Rinse kit even more.  Much less expensive; available at Costco, regular drugstores, and for some crazy reason, behind the pharmacy counter at Walmart.

I bought a neti pot when I read that people rinsing out their sinuses were about a million times healthier--no colds or allergies, better sleep, etc.  The neti pot system has been around for centuries, but it works on gravity and is messy and awkward.  With the Neilmed bottle you have more control and just gently squeeze the water up into your nose to circulate.  (Try it the first time when you're taking a shower--you'll see it's easy.)  The most amazing part is that the saline + baking soda combination makes it completely pain-free "getting water up your nose."

I am an unpaid spokesmodel.  : )

I tried that one once before and it didn't really work well for me, but my parents love it.  I get good results with the aerosol nasal mist (like Simply Saline) and I also use the PurMist (which was pricy initially, but is a godsend - especially if you have a cold.

• Love 1
(edited)

I love, love, LOVE a neti pot; it's like a damn miracle--except on those horrible occasions where I can't even get the water into my nostrils because everything is that clogged (or when I am not at home and don't have any way way to boil water, or at home but don't have time to let it cool). But since I started using it regularly, I don't get that super-clog situation very often anymore (thank god!). But I have to use a ceramic one ever since the plastic one caught onto my nose stud--oooh, that was very bad for a few minutes, haha!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 6

US Cellular ad 'some carriers try to pull the wool over your eyes'- this is incredibly gross to me. The 2 people attempting to make breakfast with sheep on their heads while pouring coffee and dropping eggs on the countertop! All I can think of is HOW far into the sheep stomachs are these idiots' heads going? And the sheep themselves, while very lifelike, must be CGI, right? Their movements are creepy and disturbing and I keep wondering if they are totally digital or some weird animatronic gizmos they built for this dumb spot. 

• Love 5
20 hours ago, Neurochick said:

I saw that commercial too.  I think it really shows how people are becoming boundry-less.  Nothing is sacred, let's show folks on the toilet, let's show folks sniffing other people's underarms.  Nothing is disgusting and nothing is sacred, or private.  And it makes sense, I mean people are on social media sharing themselves with the world, not to mention reality shows where people do a lot more than just simple sharing of themselves, in other words, they have to show their asses.

And while channel surfing today I saw an advert for a new tv programme called "Dr Pimple Popper."  Dear god.   I long for the days of Jane Russell showing a bra on a mannequin.    

• Love 10

Stella Rose, totally agree and I refuse to even mention the name of that show, disgusting. And I don't particularly mind the chewing of food in commercials, I do object the the Skittles yuck. But there ain't no way in h**l will I be watching that show.

• Love 6

Not sure if it's been mentioned here, I did a search and nothing came up.  There is a For Eyes commercial that takes disgusting to new levels.  This woman is at a park eating an ice cream cone when a bird flies by and poops on her hand.  The woman has lousy eyesight and mistakes the bird poop for dripping ice cream.  You can guess the rest.

• Love 4

The last couple of nights, I've left the tv on Discovery Science. I don't sleep well and have awakened several times to some hideous music that I thought was some horrible informercial they were sneaking in. Then I saw it when I was awake. It's for Go-pro cameras. When I wake up and that noise is on I want to heave my pit bull through the tv screen. Not that I want to hurt my dog, it's just he's usually the closest large object near me. And I don't see that ad much during the daytime.

On 6/26/2018 at 11:04 AM, proserpina65 said:

Given the number of times I've seen "those women in the Sonic commercials", I'm not so sure.

You're not going to get Brad Pitt or Tom Cruise or someone like that who virtually everyone on the planet recognizes to do a Sonic commercial, but given the popular shows that @bilgistic cited for Jane Krakowski (who has also been in popular movies for like 35 years) and Ellie Kemper (who was also in Bridesmaids, which was a pretty big movie), it seems like Sonic couldn't have done a lot better with regard to recognizability.  I don't think they're ever going to get someone that *everyone* recognizes -- I had no idea the guy in the Verizon commercials or the lady in the Jergens commercials were "somebodies" until people were talking about them in here.

13 hours ago, janie jones said:

You're not going to get Brad Pitt or Tom Cruise or someone like that who virtually everyone on the planet recognizes to do a Sonic commercial, but given the popular shows that @bilgistic cited for Jane Krakowski (who has also been in popular movies for like 35 years) and Ellie Kemper (who was also in Bridesmaids, which was a pretty big movie), it seems like Sonic couldn't have done a lot better with regard to recognizability.  I don't think they're ever going to get someone that *everyone* recognizes -- I had no idea the guy in the Verizon commercials or the lady in the Jergens commercials were "somebodies" until people were talking about them in here.

I don't think Sonic could much better, either, but neither woman is all that recognizable to the general public.  Probably less so than "those Sonic guys" who would be known pretty much only for the Sonic commercials.

• Love 1

but neither woman is all that recognizable to the general public.

I watch Kimmie Schmidt, so I know who they are. It still doesn't make a lot of sense that they're at a Sonic, though. Jane Krakowski plays a character who never eats, let alone fast food.

1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

I don't think Sonic could much better, either, but neither woman is all that recognizable to the general public.  Probably less so than "those Sonic guys" who would be known pretty much only for the Sonic commercials.

My point was that given their resumes (including appearing in other commercials, various popular shows, and movies), I believe that they are, but that "general public" is never going to refer to every single viewer.

• Love 1

There's a Lowe's commercial airing now depicting a woman acting so excited because her refrigerator died and now she can get a new one. I assure you, Lowe's, no one is ever that happy when an appliance breaks down.

• Love 19
3 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

There's a Lowe's commercial airing now depicting a woman acting so excited because her refrigerator died and now she can get a new one. I assure you, Lowe's, no one is ever that happy when an appliance breaks down.

No shit. My oven decided to die last Christmas Eve while I was having the fam over for lasagna. Sucked. Fortunately it was snowing so hard everyone decided to vamoose before it got too deep. Got drunk instead.

• Love 14

There is a commercial running on TLC right now for the show Outdaugtered that shows one of the kids with poop all over the back of their pants and the dad says something like "welcome to the $hitshow".. Totally gross.  We don't need to see $hit soaked pants eve if it is a toddler. 

• Love 12
6 minutes ago, Mollysmom said:

There is a commercial running on TLC right now for the show Outdaugtered that shows one of the kids with poop all over the back of their pants and the dad says something like "welcome to the $hitshow".. Totally gross.  We don't need to see $hit soaked pants eve if it is a toddler. 

Seriously.  I don't even like dealing with my own.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, mmecorday said:

She won't be happy when she gets the credit card bill for that $3,000 fridge!  Good grief these smart fridges, who the heck wants smudgy finger prints all over the screen??

• Love 7

I don't understand why you would even need to see inside a refrigerator without opening it. It might cut down on energy costs because you may not be opening the door as much, but really --  if something is at the back of the fridge, you can't see it unless you move the items in front of it.

• Love 19
3 hours ago, mmecorday said:

Especially a refrigerator!  Yeah, like excitement is going to be my reaction to not only having to shell out big bucks at a time I wasn't expecting to, but to having to either research on the fly and make a hasty decision or accept that a bunch of food is going to go bad and I'm going to have to order in for several days while I figure out what I want and where to buy it.

• Love 8

These appliances must have some strange timer in them to break down on major holidays, because our fridge died one Christmas Eve. Fortunately, the snow and cold allowed me to convert our deck into a walk in refrigerator with a card table used to store things until the repairman arrived the same day (cha-ching) to replace something or other. It gave up the ghost soon after and it was hard to choose the right appliance based on online reviews which are unintentionally hilarious. We decided not to purchase a fridge based, in part, on one review that said it made as much noise as a diesel tractor idling in his kitchen. 

6 hours ago, Mollysmom said:

Yeah and the mom says sarcastically, “Pray for us.”  Oh, hon, TLC is paying you big bucks to follow you and your brood around and I’m sure you have their college educations and all the little extras paid for, so, no, there are much more worthy causes to pray for. Now get off your butt and go change your daughter out of that green stained mess. 

• Love 8
(edited)

Just who thought it was a great idea to name an insurance company Elephant?  That doesn’t instill any  confidence in me that my claim will be handled to my satisfaction. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 4

CoolSculpting ad with stupid girl in a bikini next to a pool, who's trying to lose her (slightly) pudgy belly by eating hot chili peppers. Unless she's planning on eating enough of them to make her throw up, how could that work? 

• Love 10
17 hours ago, mmecorday said:

I hope I'm not tempting fate, but I've been wishing my fridge would die for years.  I've hated it since day 1.

• Love 4

I was cooking/freezing like a fiend in preparation for a long, house-bound recovery after knee replacement surgery. Yup. Fridge died. Fortunately, it had been giving hints it was about to do that, so I'd already been "shopping" online & knew which fridge I wanted as a replacement. It wasn't from Lowe's.

Just who thought it was a great idea to name an insurance company Elephant?  That doesn’t instill any  confidence in me that my claim will be handled to my satisfaction. 

Because they never forget? Expect them to remind you about your previous claims whenever you make a new one.

• Love 7
22 hours ago, mmecorday said:

Seriously. My fridge location has a wall on one side, so yes, a standard-width one will fit - *if* it has zero clearance hinges. Do they put that on the website descriptions, or let you filter by that feature? Of course not - it's not a "sexy" feature. So finding a replacement has been a very slow process - if it broke down I already know Lowes doesn't have anything in stock that would fit.

OTOH, when my TV died... ooh, time for a new toy!

• Love 4
16 hours ago, Ilovecomputers said:

These appliances must have some strange timer in them to break down on major holidays, because our fridge died one Christmas Eve. Fortunately, the snow and cold allowed me to convert our deck into a walk in refrigerator with a card table used to store things until the repairman arrived the same day (cha-ching) to replace something or other. It gave up the ghost soon after and it was hard to choose the right appliance based on online reviews which are unintentionally hilarious. We decided not to purchase a fridge based, in part, on one review that said it made as much noise as a diesel tractor idling in his kitchen. 

For us, our plumbing froze on New Years Day.  We live in a mobile home, and I HATE heat tape (one of the major causes of mobile home fires, and also really hikes your electric bill).  When we bought the house, the prior owner couldn't tell us how old it was.  To have someone come out, install heat tape that only works on areas it needs to and only when it needs to, and install fireproof pipe insulation was ludicrous.  It's priced by the foot, and my plumbing runs are long - one is over 50 foot.  So we spent $300 on a hot water recirculator that sits under my kitchen sink and pulses warm water through the pipes when the water temp drops below 70.  Has worked like a charm for 2 years.  The company who sold it to us said their #2 customer base are mobile home owners (especially in Alaska and Canada) and people with seasonal cabins that they can't always check up on.  So I was shocked when I got up that morning, flushed the toilet, and it didn't refill.  And as I was washing my hands, the water trickled and stopped.  I phoned a TON of people.  Many refuse to work on mobiles ,and with it being a holiday, many weren't answering.  I opened my taps and kept running a hair dryer on the pipes with no luck.  Finally got someone to come out - he was already on the way to where we live because we were not the only ones.  He plugged the heat tape in and after a few hours, we were still frozen.  He did some stuff under the house, and it did not help.  He was beginning to think we were frozen at the ground connection when he opened up the water heater closet (the door to it is on the outside - it's an older mobile home).  Over the summer, we had someone replace the spigot on the outside of the house - it was leaking.  He moved the insulation in the water heater closet, and did not put it back.  One connection froze up at the heater.  Five minutes of aiming a heat cannon at the water heater closet, and everything opened right up.  We moved the insulation back, and added some more.  Cost?  $300.  Ouch.

• Love 5