Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

There is a truly disgusting commercial for Milky Way in which a girl asks for the Off or some repellent spray and the other gal is too busy eating a Milky Way to pay attention and hands her sunscreen. Then they show the girl with all kinds of bug bites and one eye closed and Milky Way gal says "At least it was SPF 50" or something. Makes my skin crawl. Just gross.

• Love 12
(edited)

Oh god that prancersize woman is a loon!  And yeah, that music is total generic “free rock riff” crud.  It “sorta” sounds like about 200 actual songs, but it isn’t.  It has so little “groove” that it creates a groove vortex and actually sucks groove out of existence.  Which explains the uncomfortable prancersize “moves.”  Lol...and yeah that camel toe, Yeesh!

the whole “auto driving car” thing needs to stop.  It’s all utterly terrifying!  There’s an ad running now (not sure of the brand - might be Cadillac) in which a poor gal is driving along the center lane of a 3 lane roadway and approaching the treacherous circumstance of a big truck in the left lane, and another big truck in the right hand lane.  Confronted by the tricky and rare driving maneuver known as “maintaining a fucking straight line!” she engages the auto drive function and as the car takes over (which we know because we get a look at the computer screen with all them cool digital guidance lines drawn all over the road ahead) and safely navigates her along her lane between the trucks she exclaims with understandable wonder “right down the middle.”  Ho lee shit.

are we supposed to feel good about the fact that computer-driven cars are apparently making it possible for a whole class of drivers - those incapable of even driving in a straight line - are now going to be able to take to the roadways?  

Edited by Zevious Zoquis
  • Love 16
3 hours ago, Zevious Zoquis said:

Confronted by the tricky and rare driving maneuver known as “maintaining a fucking straight line!”

Hilarious, but simultaneously scary as shit. So many drivers think they're the only one who matters, so people should get out their way instead of, ya know, actually driving and paying attention. I'm so tired of people totally not paying attention until the last 5 seconds and then plowing across multiple lanes no matter who else is on the road.

• Love 8

Perhaps if they would just put down their damn phones and stop texting or Facebooking or Instagramming or whatever it is they're doing (I have seen other drivers taking photos and video with their phones!) and pay attention to the road, they could stay in their own lanes by themselves.  But those people are probably cheering self-driving cars -- they can stay glued to their phones to their heart's content.

• Love 19
6 hours ago, Zevious Zoquis said:

are we supposed to feel good about the fact that computer-driven cars are apparently making it possible for a whole class of drivers - those incapable of even driving in a straight line - are now going to be able to take to the roadways?  

I believe originally that cars were a luxury.  Today they are a necessity.  Unfortunately, there are people out here who shouldn't be driving, but since in most places in the US, a car is a necessity, what can those people do?  So, this is as good an idea as any. 

• Love 6
(edited)

There is an ad for something or other where a dog-walker is cheerfully walking a passel of dogs and in the next scene they see a mailman and go charging after him.  No, that is not cute.  Control the dogs or get another job, lady.

On another note, ever since someone said it here I loathe the car ad where the guy says nah to the witness protection because he would have to get the boring SUV.  Fuck all the millions whose lives he was going to save with his testimony!  Seriously, how did the ad company not notice how shitty that is?  All they had to do was take out that one line and the ad would still be stupid, but it wouldn’t make me think the guy is happy with killing innocent lives.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 10
(edited)
20 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

I believe originally that cars were a luxury.  Today they are a necessity.  Unfortunately, there are people out here who shouldn't be driving, but since in most places in the US, a car is a necessity, what can those people do?  So, this is as good an idea as any. 

well, first my comment was mostly a joke.  

But if we are going to take it at face value, ok.  I'd say a better idea for people who shouldn't be driving would be to become better at driving!  lol. 

I don't think the computer driving aids are really designed to get bad drivers on the roads.  They are designed to make cars safer in general - for all drivers.  The idea being that once the system is fully operational, computers will make fewer mistakes than drivers in general do.  It's probably true, but as a person who has worked with computers since the early 80s, it feels to me like sort of a nightmare scenario.  :D

But the ads right now are annoying because they just show the driving aids taking over to perform incredibly mundane actions and then the drivers act like some amazing thing has just happened.  

Edited by Zevious Zoquis
  • Love 10
28 minutes ago, Zevious Zoquis said:

But if we are going to take it at face value, ok.  I'd say a better idea for people who shouldn't be driving would be to become better at driving!  lol. 

But what about people who can't drive because of health issues?

Please, someone make the supremely untalented Bagster singing lady go away. 

The thing that annoys me about the Leslie Odom Jr Nationwide commercials is the earnestness, like it’s totally possible to get your groove on to a song about college acceptance letters and retiring to play golf. Not buying it.

• Love 5
On 5/26/2018 at 7:19 PM, configdotsys said:

There is a truly disgusting commercial for Milky Way in which a girl asks for the Off or some repellent spray and the other gal is too busy eating a Milky Way to pay attention and hands her sunscreen. Then they show the girl with all kinds of bug bites and one eye closed and Milky Way gal says "At least it was SPF 50" or something. Makes my skin crawl. Just gross.

I saw that one for the first time this evening, and to make it worse, at the end of the girl with all the bites gets bitten again, and she smacks the bug and then goes, "Ow" while her moron friend is sitting next to her.

• Love 3

This is real. The fact that it is makes me mad and that people fall for stuff like it is sad. I see this commercial a lot on one particular channel I watch sometimes. They must really need the money.

• Love 11
(edited)
On 5/26/2018 at 7:19 PM, configdotsys said:

The Milky Way 'Sorry...' campaign irks all around.

I love me a Milky Way bar but it is not so good that it excuses me from carelessly screwing over someone else because the bar was that good I was distracted/forgot about everything else nor does it give me license to respond to that person rightfully calling me out with an apathetic, dismissive lame non apology of 'Sorry (duh implied) I was eating a Milky Way' ::shrug::

Sometimes I wonder how ad campaigns like this see the light of day. When your product actually makes the user appear obnoxious, how is that good? 

Edited by TobinAlbers
  • Love 13
21 minutes ago, TobinAlbers said:

The Milky Way 'Sorry...' campaign irks all around.

Particularly the Tattoo one.  Duh, Sorry, I have to do MAJOR additions to your tattoo now.  Because it is PERMANENT!

• Love 9
42 minutes ago, Jaded said:

This is real. The fact that it is makes me mad and that people fall for stuff like it is sad. I see this commercial a lot on one particular channel I watch sometimes. They must really need the money.

That shyster has been on TV for years.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, Neurochick said:

But what about people who can't drive because of health issues?

Public transit?  

We aren’t really at the point yet where cars drive from one place to another by themselves.  If a person has a health issue that prevents them from driving, the fact that a computer can take over and guide the vehicle along a straight path for a time really doesn’t open up the wonderful world of motoring for them.  I mean the hard part of driving is the stuff that requires actually diverging from a straight line...

• Love 13
3 hours ago, Zevious Zoquis said:

Public transit?  

Not an option where I live, but there are transportation services offered by medical facilities and Eldercare-type organizations available.  So it is possible, but not easy.

• Love 5
(edited)
On 5/28/2018 at 8:41 AM, Zevious Zoquis said:

the whole “auto driving car” thing needs to stop.

To a certain extent, I wouldn't mind having that as a feature on my car.  Three or four times a year (sometimes more) I drive from North Carolina back home to Long Island.  It's about 600 miles one way, with more than 500 of those miles being "cruise control on, keep it between the lines" highway driving.  I'd love to let the car handle that while I simply monitor it, much like flying on autopilot.

Edited by Moose135
  • Love 5

the whole “auto driving car” thing needs to stop.

True autonomous driving is a long way off.  Problem now is that people hear "Autopilot" (Tesla) or see the Mercedes and Cadillac ads, and think it's all a done deal. It ain't.

Although if they can have it ready in about 20 years, when my driving skills might be less than sharp, I would be OK with it

• Love 4
13 hours ago, Jaded said:

I'm not sure who's the worst - the shysters peddling this crap or the people who believe in it.  If there wasn't a market for it, it wouldn't exist.  "FREE - NO OBLIGATION"...yeah, right, but they've got your name, address and phone number and you're doomed to be pestered until you meet your Lord and Saviour.  Bless your heart!

Thank God <irony> we don't get this beggar in our area, or I'm just not watching the right (wrong) channel.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, TobinAlbers said:

Sometimes I wonder how ad campaigns like this see the light of day. When your product actually makes the user appear obnoxious, how is that good? 

Well, we're talking about it and you remember the product.  Voluntary recall is huge.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, Brattinella said:

The dog-walker commercial (I forget the name).  I zoom to the remote, but I'm never fast enough, although I NOW know it is an unbelievably long song. 

"Now walk it out!""Now walk it out!""Now walk it out!""Now walk it out!""Now walk it out!""Now walk it out!""Now walk it out!""Now walk it out!""Now walk it out!""Now walk it out!""Now walk it out!""Now walk it out!""Now walk it out!""Now walk it out!""Now walk it out!""Now walk it out!""Now walk it out!""Now walk it out!""Now walk it out!" AARRGGGGHHHH!!

• Love 12
43 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

How does this kind of stuff make it past the drawing board?

It baffles me also. These companies are definitely getting ripped off by whatever ad agencies they're paying. I can't even count the enormous amount of commercials that come on that makes me run in a panic for the remote mute button. I could be burning calories doing this so that's the bright side!

• Love 7
2 hours ago, cynicat said:

Well, we're talking about it and you remember the product.  Voluntary recall is huge.

True, except it's turned me off on the product.  Not so much that I've stopped buying them altogether - that would be the Gushers candy that had such gross commercials that I now wouldn't buy them for anything- but enough that my recall of the product is now in the negative. If I'm in line and about to grab my impulse candy buy and 'Sorry, I was eating a Milky Way' runs through my head, I may opt for the Hershey's Rolos to satisfy my chocolate/caramel craving and leave Milky Way on the shelf.

• Love 12

for me its the (never-ending) Plexaderm commercial , Liberty Mutual with the car breaking down in the middle of the night and the one for " eczemaexposed.com"

On 5/13/2018 at 1:45 AM, Cobalt Stargazer said:

I knew exactly what you were talking about without even clicking the link, and my question is, if all of the woman's friends know that she has eczema, why haven't one of them offered the solution the other lady does at the end of the ad? Like, 'I'm fine' is clearly code for "I'm miserable because I'm having an outbreak and can't go anywhere", so how come no one thought to give her this information?

literally.. the most annoying commercial of all time

• Love 5

I can't find a link to it right now, but the ad for some skin medicine. It features a teacher rolling up his sleeves in class, a lady going to the pool with her daughter, and a woman who puts up her hair in a ponytail. I want to punch her. Something about her just rubs me wrong. Smug or something. I don't know. And how does she manage to drive in a convertible and not have her hair be a mess. I don't know. 

• Love 6

for me its the (never-ending) Plexaderm commercial 

Awful. Just awful! "My dad tried it and we were screaming!" Why? Because the product made his face melt? By the time that commercial finishes I feel like I've looked at people's under eye bags for an hour.

• Love 18
1 hour ago, QuinnInND said:

and a woman who puts up her hair in a ponytail. I want to punch her. Something about her just rubs me wrong. Smug or something. I don't know.

Is she the redhead?  Can't stand her.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

I can't find a link to it right now, but the ad for some skin medicine. It features a teacher rolling up his sleeves in class, a lady going to the pool with her daughter, and a woman who puts up her hair in a ponytail. I want to punch her. Something about her just rubs me wrong. Smug or something. I don't know. And how does she manage to drive in a convertible and not have her hair be a mess. I don't know. 

I'm not sure if this is the one I'm thinking of or not, where people talk about how this medicine is enabling them to do stuff, then this woman at the end is older and has long dark hair in a ponytail, but instead of her talking like the other people in the ad, she makes some smarmy comment about letting something take over, or something like that, and then says "PUH-LEAZE!".  She has what I called when I was younger "Mean Eyes".  I can't stand that woman.

• Love 3
(edited)
6 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

I have no idea why but I detest this Crest lady. She and her prolonged smile at the end are just so stupid.
https://www.ispot.tv/ad/wJob/crest-gum-detoxify-irritated-gums

Also, I hate when people in commercials hold out a product with a completely straight arm, tilted just so. No, I have no idea why that bugs me either.

that always bugs me too.  Also, when people are holding whatever product is being advertised in such a manner as to ensure that the logo on the product is clearly visible and not obstructed at all - it usually requires them to hold it in what is obviously a weird/unnatural way.  Like if it's a Pepsi ad they'll hold the can of pop with their hand around only the bottom inch of the can so the top 5 inches is not at all covered.  Its always so obvious that it makes me angry...

Edited by Zevious Zoquis
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, funky-rat said:

I'm not sure if this is the one I'm thinking of or not, where people talk about how this medicine is enabling them to do stuff, then this woman at the end is older and has long dark hair in a ponytail, but instead of her talking like the other people in the ad, she makes some smarmy comment about letting something take over, or something like that, and then says "PUH-LEAZE!".  She has what I called when I was younger "Mean Eyes".  I can't stand that woman.

No. This one says things like when the teacher rolls up his sleeves, "little roll, big deal", and when the woman puts up her hair, "Little pony, big deal". 

3 hours ago, Ohwell said:

Is she the redhead?  Can't stand her.

Yes! That's her! 

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

No. This one says things like when the teacher rolls up his sleeves, "little roll, big deal", and when the woman puts up her hair, "Little pony, big deal". 

Yes! That's her! 

I think it's Otezla. I Google it and see a commercial called Little things can be a big deal, but the commercial has been removed. And I was all set to be enraged too.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Zevious Zoquis said:

that always bugs me too.  Also, when people are holding whatever product is being advertised in such a manner as to ensure that the logo on the product is clearly visible and not obstructed at all - it usually requires them to hold it in what is obviously a weird/unnatural way.  Like if it's a Pepsi ad they'll hold the can of pop with their hand around only the bottom inch of the can so the top 5 inches is not at all covered.  Its always so obvious that it makes me angry...

And when the thumb is parallel to the length of the bottle or can (as opposed to curled around it like a normal human being!) as someone pours it into a glass! No one holds it that way--just show it to us sitting next to a damn fucking glass, damn it!

• Love 5

I hate it when the person in the ad not only holds up the product in an unnatural way but also points at it while grinning stupidly. Because having them shove the product right into the camera lens isn’t enough. I keep seeing some lady doing this in an electric toothbrush commercial, as if she’s on The Price is Right and the toothbrush is the prize.

• Love 5
On 5/25/2018 at 1:33 PM, Ilovecomputers said:

She is annoying, she can't sing, the commercial seems to last for 10 minutes, and this clip seems to play on endless loop.  Did I die and end up in hell?  Since I can pause the video, I guess not.

I am from Minnesota and anything that makes Wisconsin looks bad....well......just sayin!  :)  

Another one?  A commercial for a travel website where a teacher is portrayed as having zero classroom management.  Like the kids are swimming in the aquarium!   They are throwing things, playing....ugh.  Lady, if you were a real teacher you could be on that vacation forever as you would not have a job.

• Love 10

Meanwhile, there's a commercial for Ibrance, which is a metastatic breast cancer medication. The woman in the commercial is living her best life, running her beautifully curated yarn business and breezily driving with her doting husband to their friends' HGTV-feature-worthy house. Because dealing with cancer is a walk in the park. I wonder if actual women with cancer see that ad and want to throw things at the TV. I've never personally known a woman fighting breast cancer, but I'm pretty sure the battle doesn't look like a spread in Martha Stewart Living.

Those commercials are completely misleading! This current ad was preceded by one featuring Julie, a lovely lady with long gray hair who was accepting her "new normal" living with MBC. It literally showed her taking a walk in the park.

• Love 5
On 4/30/2018 at 5:29 PM, PradaKitty said:

Who else hates the insurance (can’t remember ehat company it is, so the commercial is a bad idea) ad with the annoying woman getting into her “ replacement vehicle” and screeching byyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeee as she drives off? 

Hell, want to slam into her. 

On 5/4/2018 at 7:06 PM, TeapotDiva said:

It's Mercury Insurance.  And I'll come with you; we can take turns slamming into her!

I just dropped in to say the same thing. That woman is such an bitchy entitled princess, I want to slap her. But here's the good part: if you read the fine print at the bottom of the screen, it clearly states that Mercury does not deliver rental cars to the scene of an accident.

• Love 2
On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 6:35 PM, NinjaPenguins said:

Please, someone make the supremely untalented Bagster singing lady go away. 

The thing that annoys me about the Leslie Odom Jr Nationwide commercials is the earnestness, like it’s totally possible to get your groove on to a song about college acceptance letters and retiring to play golf. Not buying it.

I hadn't not even thought about that part of the song.  That just adds to it now. 

Lets rock out to peaceful retirement!!!  Woooo, party!!

Maybe he can do a follow up about 401Ks and low interest mortgages

• Love 5

I don’t remember which car company the commercial is for, possibly Hyundai, but I hate the ad featuring the woman astronaut working in space who is contacted by her earthbound husband to unlock his car via phone. I don’t even care about the logistics of the whole thing. One, I’m irritated by the drippy, twee “Higher Love” playing in the background. Two, hey, chucklehead, your wife is working in space. In. space. Her work is probably pretty important, and you’re bugging her because you’re a dipshit who locked himself out of his car. Come on. Then you top it off with a cheesy joke about the moon, which maybe might have been a cute exchange had you not first interrupted her work. You clearly still have your phone. Call a taxi or something. 

• Love 17
35 minutes ago, NinjaPenguins said:

I don’t remember which car company the commercial is for, possibly Hyundai, but I hate the ad featuring the woman astronaut working in space who is contacted by her earthbound husband to unlock his car via phone. I don’t even care about the logistics of the whole thing. One, I’m irritated by the drippy, twee “Higher Love” playing in the background. Two, hey, chucklehead, your wife is working in space. In. space. Her work is probably pretty important, and you’re bugging her because you’re a dipshit who locked himself out of his car. Come on. Then you top it off with a cheesy joke about the moon, which maybe might have been a cute exchange had you not first interrupted her work. You clearly still have your phone. Call a taxi or something. 

Yes I hate that one too, brought it up before

I wonder why he just can't get the app or whatever himself to open the damn car door.  Why does she have it in space and he does not? 

• Love 5