Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Blergh said:

Fair enough. There are plenty of folks whose singing I personally have no liking or interest in that somehow are popular enough with others to make full-fledged careers.

Anyway, we can both hope that one day [SOON]  TPTB will swallow their false pride. decide enough's been too much and cut their losses re Flo and Miss McEntyre (commercial wise in her case).

Agreed!! ;-)

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Brattinella said:

He will always be gorgeous in my eyes.

I still have an autographed picture of him, he was at some convention in DC, I think it was late 80's, and he was swoonworthy. 

• Love 3
13 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

Isn't Country Crock just yellow lard?

Since lard is rendered animal fat, no. But taste wise you may be close.

13 hours ago, Wings said:

No, lard is good, especially in pie crust!  

"Water, Vegetable Oil Blend (Soybean Oil, Palm Oil, Palm Kernel Oil), Salt, Whey (Milk), Vegetable Mono and Diglycerides, Polyglycerol Esters of Fatty Acids (PotassiumSorbate, Calcium Disodium EDTA), Used to Protect Quality,Soy Lecithin, Lactic Acid, Artificial Flavor, Vitamin APalmitate, Beta Carotene (Color), ..." 

Mmmmm, sounds just like the goodness of vegetables! Eat up kids!

• Love 5
16 hours ago, Blergh said:

Anyway, we can both hope that one day [SOON]  TPTB will swallow their false pride. decide enough's been too much and cut their losses re Flo and Miss McEntyre (commercial wise in her case).

I think I read that they have 6 month runs before a new colonel is introduced.  Reba's time must be up.

15 hours ago, Tunia said:

We're starting to see a new batch of George Hamilton as The Colonel commercials, and he looks very...tanned.

I'm surprised they are reusing GH.  He was the first celebrity colonel (or at least one of the first).  

On 4/13/2018 at 4:57 PM, configdotsys said:

I think the Love to the Rescue commercials, where you can get an "adowable, wuv to the wescue bwanket" is the Shriners Hospital. I can't help but get creeped out by the Shriners and their hats that look like a larger version of the one Howard Cunningham wore. What gets me is that those children probably have prosthetics  but they are made to remove them for the commercial to garner more sympathy. I applaud what the Shriners are trying to do, but these commercials get overwhelming after a while. Don't even get me started on the animal ones.

I'm just glad that Shriner's dropped the "for crippled children" in their hospital's name.  I thought that was disgusting.

• Love 2
On 4/5/2018 at 1:57 PM, Silver Raven said:

Little pooping monster toys.  I can just imagine those tiny poop things getting swallowed by kids and choking them.

I'm ashamed to admit that, had this been a thing when I was a child, I would have loved it!  I was a weird kid.

Kudos to the actors in this ad, as they are super-annoying.  Especially the white-haired man who passive-aggressively asks, "Are we trying to air condition the entire neighborhood?"  I want to punch him.

Then there's this one: 

It creeps me out, right down to the matching sweaters.

• Love 3
38 minutes ago, HipOldBat said:

Kudos to the actors in this ad, as they are super-annoying.  Especially the white-haired man who passive-aggressively asks, "Are we trying to air condition the entire neighborhood?"  I want to punch him.

Then there's this one: 

It creeps me out, right down to the matching sweaters.

See, I have said those words about the A/C to my kids as my father said to me as well!!  I may be an UO, but that first commercial cracks me up.  Because, well, defense DOES win championships!!!

5 hours ago, knitorpurl said:

Since lard is rendered animal fat, no. But taste wise you may be close.

Mmmmm, sounds just like the goodness of vegetables! Eat up kids!

As a baker (not a pro, just enjoy it) lard is lard and Country Crock is.....not.  Butter was around 150 years ago, it is good enough now.

• Love 7
On 4/25/2018 at 10:34 PM, Bees52 said:

In a recent Progressive ad Flo visits her sister Janice's new house and gets ignored. First time I watched it I felt bad for Flo. After numerous views I understood why her sister was rude-  I bet any time Flo stops by she wants to talk insurance. " Janice! Look! Janice! "

Hokey smokes! I am always going to think that now!

On 4/27/2018 at 2:36 PM, Eliot said:

There's some commercial where the parents show up to pick their kids up from school in this gigantic new minivan and all the kids are swooning over the fancy new features ("Look at these apps! And there's a secret compartment in the dashboard! WHEEEEE!")

At the end of it, one little girl tells her mother, "When I grow up I want you to buy me this car" and the mother says, "I want to buy ME this car."

WTF? You mean they didn't actually get to KEEP the minivan at the end? Then what was the point? Talk about a bait and switch!

That's the latest of Chevy's infuriating ads with fake focus groups. 

On 4/28/2018 at 2:36 PM, mojoween said:

So I saw a short version of the below ad today, and it was only the big guy in the blue shirt saying “who wants to drink lead?”

Perhaps I am being oversensitive, but isn’t this ad a little tone deaf?  Don’t we all know by now that for some people, they have been given no choice but to drink lead, and perhaps the price of a PUR filter is out of reach?

I hate that ad b/c of that hysterical man screeching and getting his panties in an uprorar over lead in his water, as if he's going to instantly drop dead if there's a single molecule of it in his drinking water. Ditto for the other ads that do the same thing.

• Love 3

Who else hates the insurance (can’t remember ehat company it is, so the commercial is a bad idea) ad with the annoying woman getting into her “ replacement vehicle” and screeching byyyyeeeeeeeeeeeeeee as she drives off? 

Hell, want to slam into her. 

• Love 2
On 4/25/2018 at 10:34 PM, Bees52 said:

In a recent Progressive ad Flo visits her sister Janice's new house and gets ignored. First time I watched it I felt bad for Flo. After numerous views I understood why her sister was rude-  I bet any time Flo stops by she wants to talk insurance. " Janice! Look! Janice! "

I really want Janice to show her sister her brand new Geico home owners policy "...you know why Flo?? Because at least Mayhem asked for  a tour of my house before trying to sell me something.  Bitch.". And then let Flo cry on the floor while she works her quads (or whatever it is).

• Love 2
On 4/30/2018 at 7:16 AM, HipOldBat said:

I'm just glad that Shriner's dropped the "for crippled children" in their hospital's name.  I thought that was disgusting.

Well, at least that would answer one of the questions I always have when I see the commercials, which is why they never show kids with illnesses, just with missing limbs or various kinds of mobility problems.

22 hours ago, Ubiquitous said:

I hate that ad b/c of that hysterical man screeching and getting his panties in an uprorar over lead in his water, as if he's going to instantly drop dead if there's a single molecule of it in his drinking water. Ditto for the other ads that do the same thing.

I'm sure if he tested the water he drinks every day, it would have lead in it, even if just in minute amounts.  Or other stuff that could be just as bad.  That's why I hate that commercial.  Hypocrite.

• Love 5
(edited)
On 4/27/2018 at 8:10 PM, bilgistic said:

I think that commercial is the dumbest. Granted, I'm not close with many elementary school-age kids, but do any of them actually care about what the interior of their parents' SUV looks like? The commercial boy's eyes widen so much when they open the door and he sees the middle row of seats. That kid doesn't care about all-leather interior. Come on, now.

No! That's why I laugh when I see it. I have an 8-year-old second-grader. I bought a new (to me) SUV a couple of months ago. For the first time, I have a lot of the extras -- leather seats, sunroof, power everything, heated seats. I realize I'm behind the times. But at 43, I was super-excited. Little Mr. Tanyak could not have cared less. He was somewhat interested in the sunroof - the rest was completely lost on him. We would have ended up on the cutting room floor because I know he would have just said a flat "Did you buy a new car?" and not cared after that. lol 

Edited by tanyak
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, janie jones said:

Well, at least that would answer one of the questions I always have when I see the commercials, which is why they never show kids with illnesses, just with missing limbs or various kinds of mobility problems.

Besides the obvious problem with the term "crippled", they help kids with a variety of problems.  My niece had to have heart surgery as a small child and they performed that on her, for free.  

• Love 8
1 hour ago, tanyak said:

No! That's why I laugh when I see it. I have an 8-year-old second-grader. I bought a new (to me) SUV a couple of months ago. For the first time, I have a lot of the extras -- leather seats, sunroof, power everything, heated seats. I realize I'm behind the times. But at 43, I was super-excited. Little Mr. Tanyak could not have cared less. He was somewhat interested in the sunroof - the rest was completely lost on him. We would have ended up on the cutting room floor because I know he would have just said a flat "Did you buy a new car?" and not cared after that. lol 

My car, a Honda Civic, was new when I bought it in 2004. It has manual everything. My paternal half-sister rode with me somewhere 10-plus years ago (she's 16 years younger than me; I'm 43) and didn't know how to use the hand-crank windows and manual lock on the door. She's lived a charmed life.

• Love 12
17 hours ago, callie lee 29 said:

I really want Janice to show her sister her brand new Geico home owners policy "...you know why Flo?? Because at least Mayhem asked for  a tour of my house before trying to sell me something.  Bitch.". And then let Flo cry on the floor while she works her quads (or whatever it is).

Mayhem is Allstate

• Love 4
3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Mayhem is Allstate

2 hours ago, callie lee 29 said:

Gah, i knew I had them confused!  Still it's not Flo.

I thought you said it on purpose, Prosperina65.  As if Janice was having an affair with another insurance company spokesperson.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, HipOldBat said:

Besides the obvious problem with the term "crippled", they help kids with a variety of problems.  My niece had to have heart surgery as a small child and they performed that on her, for free.  

Well then why don't they show that?  I guess they figure St. Jude has cornered the market on kids with diseases, so they'll just show kids who don't have hands?  (Also, I didn't mean to suggest that they go back to putting "crippled" in their name, just that if they only treated certain ailments, it would be useful to indicate that.)

I know what this Jose Cuervo as is trying to say, but I just found it disturbing and depressing. Thinking about death and the apocolypse never makes me want to run out and buy a product. I don't drink, so I wouldn't buy Cuervo anyway, but that's beside the point. I saw it three times on tv one night. That was three times too many.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/A47C/jose-cuervo-especial-silver-last-days-song-by-elvis-presley

Whoever is behind this Aspecreme ad must also be behind those creepy-as-hell Jergens Leslie Mann ads.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/wP2c/aspercreme-walter

2 hours ago, cynicat said:

I thought you said it on purpose, Prosperina65.  As if Janice was having an affair with another insurance company spokesperson.

Mayhem may wreck stuff, but he's done nothing to deserve Janice being inflicted upon him, IMHO.

• Love 8

You guys, I just laughed really hard at one of the "she shed" commercials--an insurance one, I think. A lady is on the phone and she says, calmly, "It finally happened; someone burned down my she shed." "Finally"? "Someone"? What is the story behind this? What kind of people does she know that this was an expected thing?

• Love 12
On 4/30/2018 at 8:34 PM, callie lee 29 said:

Having Flo for a relative would be like having a permanent Tupperware party whenever they'd show up but with none of said party's perks.

So, Janice dated Mayhem but bought GEICO yet still is always bored to tears when Flo's around despite her playing the field? Maybe that should tell those folks who greenlight Flo something (and yes, they ARE losing out from folks like myself and others on this Forum  and elsewhere who are sick of her who flat refuse to EVER consider buying Progressive to them inflicting Flo on us).

• Love 1
11 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

You guys, I just laughed really hard at one of the "she shed" commercials--an insurance one, I think. A lady is on the phone and she says, calmly, "It finally happened; someone burned down my she shed." "Finally"? "Someone"? What is the story behind this? What kind of people does she know that this was an expected thing?

Maybe she's been reading this board?

• Love 12
(edited)

This only airs in states that have Cox cable.  There has to be someone on this board who is driven to distraction by this commercial.  They show it many times a day. It is for Gigablast, a technology coming in the future.   The cloying voice of grandma saying “I love playing with you Bella” is fake and just grim.  No one talks to their 12 year old grand daughter that way.  The entire ad is terrible!! 

Edited by Wings
  • Love 4
56 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I HAAAAAAATE that Cox cable ad.

Thank you!  Isn't it awful?  A grandmother plays with her grandkid all damn day through technology?!  And her voice! 

• Love 2
(edited)

Time for one of my long rants, I've been saving up. I'm not currently watching the cheap, antenna channels, so I don't see some of the real beauts, and I haven't seen the AIG funeral insurance couple in a while, and I can't remember the entire thing. The couple, looks like they are moving, he says something about a container or storing, she repeats. The first few times this was on, I thought she was saying something about hamburgers. But now I suspect he's had a stroke and she's just encouragingly enthusiastic/obscenely cheerful/condescending and keeps repeating what he says. He sounds perfectly fine to me.

Some kind of dating app. Live Links or something. But in the commercial, the young lady goes to get her morning coffee, and stalker guy behind counter knows exactly how she orders her coffee, makes a comment about her going to yoga class, I get the impression the young lady is creeped out by him.

OnStar ad, woman has had an accident and is hanging over a river, off a bridge on an apparently isolated road or at least she can't be seen by traffic. Voice comes on, tells her it's so and so from OnStar and he's contacted emergency services and he'll stay with her until help arrives. That's all very well and good, but shouldn't he be doing a little triage to find out how many people are in the vehicle (or does OnStar already know that and if they do, that's way too big brotherish), and asking about injuries so they know how many and what kinds of emergency help is needed? I understand that they can't ask about what happened, because there could be liability, insurance and self incrimination issues there. I just saw it a few minutes ago and it looks like she is precariously hanging off that bridge, wouldn't that be a piece of information needed by emergency responders too?

TLC laser surgery. One young lady does so many exaggerated eye movements she irritates the snot out of me. I can't even open my eyes that wide. I have small eyes.

King's Hawaiian Rolls, first, if the rolls are for a party, why is there only one package, is it for a party of 2? If they are for a large party, there should be more packages and you can let Grandma have a roll or 2. And I've eaten those rolls, they are ok, not life and death wonderful.

This one annoys me the most! For whatever travel app, I think Hotels.com, the one ad guy is pushing an ad for people glowing (very stupid) then the announcer guy says something about no glow, just say “badda book, badda bing.” No, don't say something that stupid, that is very, very, very stupid. Stop trying to make this a thing.

Edited by friendperidot
  • Love 11
1 hour ago, friendperidot said:

This one annoys me the most! For whatever travel app, I think Hotels.com, the one ad guy is pushing an ad for people glowing (very stupid) then the announcer guy says something about no glow, just say “badda book, badda bing.” No, don't say something that stupid, that is very, very, very stupid. Stop trying to make this a thing.

That one is so annoying, I tend to block it out of my mind. I googled it, and apparently the slogan is actually "badda book, bad boom", and it's Choice Hotels that's failing to get viewers to remember them.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, friendperidot said:

King's Hawaiian Rolls, first, if the rolls are for a party, why is there only one package, is it for a party of 2? If they are for a large party, there should be more packages and you can let Grandma have a roll or 2. And I've eaten those rolls, they are ok, not life and death wonderful.

I agree, they are not ambrosia, but the current ad for IHOP is making French Toast with Hawaiian Bread, and it looks scrumptious!  Too bad we have no IHOP within 50 miles. :(

• Love 4

I made tuna salad sliders for a fundraiser last year using the small Hawaiian King Rolls and we had people asking what they were, many people. Everyone loved them. I do too. They are really are good! 

• Love 7
25 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I made tuna salad sliders for a fundraiser last year using the small Hawaiian King Rolls and we had people asking what they were, many people. Everyone loved them. I do too. They are really are good! 

Have you seen the ubiquitous Pinterest recipe that has ham and cheese in the Hawaiian King Roll, then brushed with melted butter and baked for a bit? (You make a pan of them, not just one.)  I can't remember what else is in there (maybe mustard or something) but oh Dear Lord does it look good.  And it probably has 5,000 calories. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Spunkygal said:

Have you seen the ubiquitous Pinterest recipe that has ham and cheese in the Hawaiian King Roll, then brushed with melted butter and baked for a bit? (You make a pan of them, not just one.)  I can't remember what else is in there (maybe mustard or something) but oh Dear Lord does it look good.  And it probably has 5,000 calories. 

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/229038/baked-hawaiian-sandwiches/

or alternatively

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/15018/mini-ham-and-cheese-rolls/

They're pretty damn good.

• Love 3

I guess this is a subcategory:  commercials that creep me out.

Currently it's the mattress commercial that consists of real (nonanimated) squirming baby bodies with real (nonanimated) adult talking heads.

Especially the male baby with the full beard.

Ewwwww.

• Love 9
(edited)

"Dad was just playing with Emma and he hit his head, it won't stop bleeding..."

THEY HAVE BEEN PLAYING THIS AGAIN.  I thought left for good.

For Warfrin, an implant.  Ugh I am  sick of it.

Edited by Wings
  • Love 1

This has to have been mentioned before, but it's ba-a-a-ck...

Skittles.  Where the girl meets the boy who has them plastered all over his face like chicken pox, and she plucks one off and eats it.

Where is my barf bag?

• Love 19

it's Choice Hotels that's failing to get viewers to remember them.

I'm starting my annual Road Trip next Saturday. Usually, I stay in Best Western hotels, but one of the towns I'll be stopping at has none, so I booked a Choice hotel. OMG - the junk emails NEVER stop. Those people are desperate!

• Love 1
16 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

That one is so annoying, I tend to block it out of my mind. I googled it, and apparently the slogan is actually "badda book, bad boom", and it's Choice Hotels that's failing to get viewers to remember them.

The thing they ripped off goes "Badda bing, badda boom".  I said from the first time I saw that commercial that the hotel slogan should have been "Badda bing, badda book".  It just flows better.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, spiderpig said:

This has to have been mentioned before, but it's ba-a-a-ck...

Skittles.  Where the girl meets the boy who has them plastered all over his face like chicken pox, and she plucks one off and eats it.

Where is my barf bag?

On a related icky note, I was watching some show on the Discovery Family Channel recently, and I saw a thing of ads for fake zits that kids could buy and put on their faces and, uh, pop. And the commercials kept showing the kids with the zits on their faces going up to other kids and gleefully popping them, while the other kids looked all disgusted. Yeah. 

And they kept showing those commercials virtually every commercial break, too. Every time I saw one, I just kept thinking of John Oliver's "Why is this a thing?" segment. 

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

On a related icky note, I was watching some show on the Discovery Family Channel recently, and I saw a thing of ads for fake zits that kids could buy and put on their faces and, uh, pop. And the commercials kept showing the kids with the zits on their faces going up to other kids and gleefully popping them, while the other kids looked all disgusted. Yeah. 

And they kept showing those commercials virtually every commercial break, too. Every time I saw one, I just kept thinking of John Oliver's "Why is this a thing?" segment. 

Thank you, Annber03, for helping with my diet.

There's another late-night spot for some skin care product that features close-ups of squeezing blackheads.  They really ought to splash some kind of screen warning like they do on regular shows:  "TV-MA gross disgusting content""

• Love 9

Chevy douche strikes again, this time showing cars to couples who just started dating. He ups his douche game exponentially by mentioning the cars are great for when you’ve gotten married and had your first kid, when you have three kids, dogs and a cat, etc. The whole thing is awkward and weird. His usual nonsense is bad enough, but it’s like he’s integrated the Match.com buttinsky’s obnoxiousness into his routine. 

• Love 19
20 hours ago, friendperidot said:

But in the commercial, the young lady goes to get her morning coffee, and stalker guy behind counter knows exactly how she orders her coffee, makes a comment about her going to yoga class, I get the impression the young lady is creeped out by him.

I just assumed she got her coffee there everyday and made comments about going to yoga in conversation with the server.  He struck me as friendly, not creepy.

15 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Eh, I think they're too sweet and wouldn't waste my money on them.  But they might work as French toast.

15 hours ago, Spunkygal said:

I've had something similar, but with regular dinner rolls.