Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 2:11 PM, ari333 said:

I HATE that Haribo candies thing where the adults are sitting around at a business meeting table.... talking in baby voices. GACK

I hate ANY ad that features adults speaking like babies!

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 12:06 AM, TattleTeeny said:

Haha, pets always end up with, like, 65 names!

None of which are the one you officially gave it.

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 2:02 PM, SuprSuprElevated said:

Checking in here for the first time in quite a while, so forgive if I repeat an already-discussed ad, but does anyone think that the wheel of fortune-style KFC Colonel selector is driving business in the door?  I'm so totally annoyed by that whole campaign that I have vowed to never utter their name let alone patronize that grease laden place.

p.s.:  Didn't think they could scrape the barrel lower than the Norm MacDonald iteration, but yeah, Reba tops ...er bottoms it.

I disagree. I went to try the newest version of sauced chicken. It wasn't as good as the Geogia Gold, though.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, seasons said:

WTH is with this ad?

Dude opens that soda like a freaking animal.

Don't point your fucking finger at me.

Voicemail? Haircuts? Who cares?

"Because I can". What does any of this have to do with the product?!?

Coke is running a series of these commercials to tell people that it's ok to drink a soda if you want.

1 hour ago, Ubiquitous said:

I disagree. I went to try the newest version of sauced chicken. It wasn't as good as the Geogia Gold, though.

The Smokey Mountain BBQ is the only one I like, but a lot depends on how it's prepped.  The first time I tried it,  I ate at KFC, and it was delish.  The 2nd time,  I took it home, and there was SO MUCH sauce laying in the bottom of the container that I had to toss my corn muffin as it was completely saturated and dripping.  Blech.

I would like to see commercials deep six these things that I find personally annoying:

• As someone mentioned above, extreme close-ups of people eating. I could do without the extreme facial close-ups in general. I don't care if you're showing me someone flossing, swishing, chewing, mugging for the camera, singing, or whatever. Back it up. 
  • Mugging for the camera. Especially idiots who hold up the product being advertised, point at it, kiss it, dance with it and make weird, exaggerated faces at it.
  • This must be a commercial trope, but I hate the cutesy self-conscious little laugh so many people do in commercials. Please stop. Not charming, not relatable. Rarely makes sense in the context of the commercial.
  • Alarms, especially the piercing morning wake-up alarm. It's such an annoying sound and not conducive to winning my business.
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, funky-rat said:

The Smokey Mountain BBQ is the only one I like, but a lot depends on how it's prepped.  The first time I tried it,  I ate at KFC, and it was delish.  The 2nd time,  I took it home, and there was SO MUCH sauce laying in the bottom of the container that I had to toss my corn muffin as it was completely saturated and dripping.  Blech.

I liked the Smokey Mountain BBQ sauce but mine tasted gritty, like it was made from a powder mix and hadn't completely dissolved in the water.

3 minutes ago, Ubiquitous said:

I liked the Smokey Mountain BBQ sauce but mine tasted gritty, like it was made from a powder mix and hadn't completely dissolved in the water.

It is slightly gritty.  I think it may be that they add sugar to it, and don't wait for it to dissolve.

• Love 1
22 hours ago, AntiBeeSpray said:

I HATE those new Progressive commercials that ignore Jamie. As much as I didn't like him as a character, this is even worse than him talking... they're just being complete jerks to him. -_-

They could be treating him better, but I can see where they're coming from. Since Jamie's claim to fame is a lame ad slogan, he's apparently a marketing guy nobody doing "real work" respects because they see him as dead weight.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, LoneHaranguer said:

They could be treating him better, but I can see where they're coming from. Since Jamie's claim to fame is a lame ad slogan, he's apparently a marketing guy nobody doing "real work" respects because they see him as dead weight.

Yea. But yet... they're being just as bad.

15 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I have a high tolerance for commercials, but this "Inspired Closets" commercial makes me want to smack the smug look of this woman's face. "Ms. Hiring Manager" my ass.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/w_B4/inspired-closets-ms-hiring-manager

OK, first off, "Hiring Manager" isn't a title indicating that they manage hiring. It's referring to the fact that this manager is considering hiring you for their team, you twit. Of course in an ad that wouldn't come across if you used their name like a person who'd done the bare minimum of learning about the potential job, but how about "Ms Potential Boss"? 

Second, the whole smug "I'm rich, I have kids, and I expect to just walk into this job despite having done nothing but raise them for 10 years"? Totally not dissing raising kids, but it's not job-relevant outside of a limited context, and I don't think Mrs More Decorative Than Useful is putting on that jewelry to impress a school principal.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, NinjaPenguins said:

I would like to see commercials deep six these things that I find personally annoying:

• As someone mentioned above, extreme close-ups of people eating. I could do without the extreme facial close-ups in general. I don't care if you're showing me someone flossing, swishing, chewing, mugging for the camera, singing, or whatever. Back it up. 
  • Mugging for the camera. Especially idiots who hold up the product being advertised, point at it, kiss it, dance with it and make weird, exaggerated faces at it.
  • This must be a commercial trope, but I hate the cutesy self-conscious little laugh so many people do in commercials. Please stop. Not charming, not relatable. Rarely makes sense in the context of the commercial.
  • Alarms, especially the piercing morning wake-up alarm. It's such an annoying sound and not conducive to winning my business.

A coda to your first bullet: Sound effects of people eating as well. Get your crunching, gobbling, slurping, chewing, swallowing maws out of my ears. And that goes double for anyone in a commercial who talks with their mouth full (yes, Beneful dog, I'm looking at you and you better not get anywhere within earshot or it's a trip to the pound for you).

• Love 13
20 hours ago, seasons said:

WTH is with this ad?

Dude opens that soda like a freaking animal.

Don't point your fucking finger at me.

Voicemail? Haircuts? Who cares?

"Because I can". What does any of this have to do with the product?!?

This guy looks and sounds super familiar and it’s driving me nuts that I can’t place him.

I’m going to hop on board the “no showing eating or enhancing the sound of eating” train.  Seeing people’s teeth creeps me out.

Also, and this is most likely my own personal weirdness, but I hate seeing closeups of people’s hands. I have no idea why, but I don’t like it.  Sorry Madge.

• Love 2

I swear to all that's holy if James Patterson asked me one more time if I can imagine what it's like to be buried alive, I am going to hunt him down like a mad dog and tear him a new face. I HAVE an imagination Jimmy Boy, why don't go back to paying people to ghost write your books and get the fuck off my TV.

• Love 14

Has anyone seen the commercial for (don't know & don't want to) some pharmaceutical drug that states one of the side effects is "inappropriate laughter"?  What the hell does "inappropriate laughter" mean? This is such a far fetched remote side effect. What's next?..."please discontinue use if you e experience breathing?"

• Love 6
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

I swear to all that's holy if James Patterson asked me one more time if I can imagine what it's like to be buried alive, I am going to hunt him down like a mad dog and tear him a new face. I HAVE an imagination Jimmy Boy, why don't go back to paying people to ghost write your books and get the fuck off my TV.

Word. I wouldn't do that... but this ad by him would work just fine. Meaning him IN a straight jacket.

Edited by AntiBeeSpray
  • Love 4
On 2/12/2018 at 10:48 AM, NinjaPenguins said:

The Johnny Depp Sauvage commercial is so utterly ridiculous that a tiny part of me wondered if it was a joke. But then I recalled numerous other pretentious fragrance commercials with celebrities acting like goobers and decided it was unfortunately quite serious. 

I will watch anything, and I do mean anything, that Johnny Depp is in.  Hubba hubba!

• Love 5
17 minutes ago, AntiBeeSpray said:

Word. I wouldn't do that... but this ad by him would work just fine. Meaning him IN a straight jacket.

I'm a fan of true crime but James ( Pillsbury Doughboy) Patterson needs to pimp his faux crime/fiction crap somewhere else. 

11 minutes ago, HipOldBat said:

I will watch anything, and I do mean anything, that Johnny Depp is in.  Hubba hubba!

I have an expiration date on all goods. Johnny Depp in Blow....hubba hubba yes. These days not so much. :(

• Love 5
50 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

Has anyone seen the commercial for (don't know & don't want to) some pharmaceutical drug that states one of the side effects is "inappropriate laughter"?  What the hell does "inappropriate laughter" mean? This is such a far fetched remote side effect. What's next?..."please discontinue use if you e experience breathing?"

Inappropriate laughter would be bursting into laughter at an inappropriate time, such as a solemn moment at a funeral. There are people who have brain damage that this happens to. They can also cry when they should be laughing. I have an acquaintance who had a stroke and has this. She skipped a funeral for fear she would bust out laughing.

• Love 4
58 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Inappropriate laughter would be bursting into laughter at an inappropriate time, such as a solemn moment at a funeral. There are people who have brain damage that this happens to. They can also cry when they should be laughing. I have an acquaintance who had a stroke and has this. She skipped a funeral for fear she would bust out laughing.

Wow...that's probably in most cases, not appropriate and I feel sad for your friend. However, I just dont get why funerals need to be an hour plus of mourning. Please laugh, relive happy memories...celebrate one's life. This is NOT the end.

But uncontrolled laughter can get one in serious trouble....like a traffic stop! 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:
2 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

Another example for you, inappropriate laughter or crying, the other symptom usually mentioned, during a business meeting.  There is a neurological disorder called Pseudobulbar affect (PBA) that causes uncontrollable crying and/or laughing that happens suddenly and frequently.  There were ads for this, I do not know if it is still aired.

Sorry to hear about your acquaintance, chenoa333.

Edited by elle
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, elle said:

Another example for you, inappropriate laughter or crying, the other symptom usually mentioned, during a business meeting.  There is a neurological disorder called Pseudobulbar affect (PBA) that causes uncontrollable crying and/or laughing that happens suddenly and frequently.  There were ads for this, I do not know if it is still aired.

And that's what my acquaintance has because of her stroke - thanks for reminding me of the name.

• Love 2

I'm a fan of true crime but James ( Pillsbury Doughboy) Patterson needs to pimp his faux crime/fiction crap somewhere else. 

I have an expiration date on all goods. Johnny Depp in Blow....hubba hubba yes. These days not so much. :(

Robert Redford as Hubbell Gardner - biggest yes ever!  Robert Redford as current facially reconfigured / orange Julius doppelganger - uh, no.

• Love 4

United, I don't care how glamorous you try to make your organization look. US domestic air travel is a lot closer to being a circle of hell than what you show in that ad.

I'm going to defend James Patterson. Not because I like his books. (Haven't read any of them.) But because he brought cookies when he dropped in, unannounced, to promote his latest work at a bookstore I was a manager at. 

(Ummmm. Cookies. . . . )

• Love 14

I am too, in regards to both. But I am no fan of James Patterson. Every time I see a book of his in a store, I either put another book in front of it or I turn it over.

22 minutes ago, xaxat said:

United, I don't care how glamorous you try to make your organization look. US domestic air travel is a lot closer to being a circle of hell than what you show in that ad.

I'm going to defend James Patterson. Not because I like his books. (Haven't read any of them.) But because he brought cookies when he dropped in, unannounced, to promote his latest work at a bookstore I was a manager at. 

(Ummmm. Cookies. . . . )

Aww that was nice of him.

Still no fan of his books though.

Edited by AntiBeeSpray

My current dive-for-the-remote commercials are the Xfinity spots featuring American Olympians.  Who convinced these athletes that appearing in commercials and acting (being?) stupid, rude, and vain is a good thing for their reputations?!  There's speedskater Joey Mantia, who "has three speeds: fast, faster, and fasterest" and who snots at the voiceover guy when he interrupts the athlete's watching a streaming program.  There's snowboarder Jamie Anderson, who bakes while wearing her parka and goggles, and breaks eggs by holding them two feet above the bowl.  And my least favorite, bobsledder Elana Meyers Taylor, who goes from room to room in her house watching herself on a tablet ~ not to analyze or critique her performance, but so she can make eyes at herself and say, "Lookin' good, Elana!"  I'd be mortified if this is how I were being introduced to the Olympics-watching audience!

Edited by TeapotDiva
Added a name.
  • Love 7

Also, and this is most likely my own personal weirdness, but I hate seeing closeups of people’s hands. I have no idea why, but I don’t like it.  Sorry Madge.

Awww Madge!

I have an acquaintance who had a stroke and has this. She skipped a funeral for fear she would bust out laughing.

I'm sorry about your friend, I don't think laughing at a funeral is always inappropriate, as Chenoa333 says, celebrate their life. At my mother's funeral, I sat between her older brother and her sister, we held hands, and during one of the songs, we laughed, because we pictured my parents together again and dancing together again, we were smiling and laughing at the memory. The song was 'Til I Waltz Again With You by Teresa Brewer. My great-nephew, who was 9 at the time had picked the music, I was so proud of his choices, they were all songs his Grandmother loved, they were very close. He also picked I Walk The Line by Johnny Cash  and Amazing Grace by Elvis, all perfect for my Mother.

• Love 10
1 minute ago, friendperidot said:

At my mother's funeral, I sat between her older brother and her sister, we held hands, and during one of the songs, we laughed, because we pictured my parents together again and dancing together again, we were smiling and laughing at the memory. The song was 'Til I Waltz Again With You by Teresa Brewer. My great-nephew, who was 9 at the time had picked the music, I was so proud of his choices, they were all songs his Grandmother loved, they were very close. He also picked I Walk The Line by Johnny Cash  and Amazing Grace by Elvis, all perfect for my Mother.

That's a very sweet memory for you to share, thank you.

• Love 6
11 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Inappropriate laughter would be bursting into laughter at an inappropriate time, such as a solemn moment at a funeral.

A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer down your pants.

8 hours ago, TeapotDiva said:

My current dive-for-the-remote commercials are the Xfinity spots featuring American Olympians.  Who convinced these athletes that appearing in commercials and acting (being?) stupid, rude, and vain is a good thing for their reputations?!  There's speedskater Joey Mantia, who "has three speeds: fast, faster, and fasterest" and who snots at the voiceover guy when he interrupts the athlete's watching a streaming program.  There's snowboarder Jamie Anderson, who bakes while wearing her parka and goggles, and breaks eggs by holding them two feet above the bowl.  And my least favorite, bobsledder Elana Meyers Taylor, who goes from room to room in her house watching herself on a tablet ~ not to analyze or critique her performance, but so she can make eyes at herself and say, "Lookin' good, Elana!"  I'd be mortified if this is how I were being introduced to the Olympics-watching audience!

Eh, if these athletes can get an endorsement to help defray the cost of going to the Olympics, more power to 'em.  (Of course I think it's the kiss o' death to promote these athletes.  Build them up then watch them fail.  (Looking at you, Lindsay Vonn, Nathan Chen.))

• Love 4

Add me to the hate of the Huge Closet Lady.  Who did the ad company think they were appealing to?  Not many of us have a closet that could double as a rec room.  Not a ton of us have a huge jewelry stash (and it looked like The Good Stuff) that we pick from when we go to a job interview, an actual job, carpool, grocery store, etc.  How are "regular women" supposed to relate to a princess living in her castle with perfect-looking kids?  The lovely woman in the ad actually looked like royalty.  All she  needed was a tiara.

I wish they could have shown a more realistic portrayal of people and their closets..sort of a before and after.  Although, judging from all the House Hunters I watch on HGTV, most people/couples under 45 seem to be looking houses with huge walk-in closets.  "For Her" ... "He" is usually relegated to a closet in the spare bedroom.  In the castle.

• Love 8
16 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

15 hours ago, chessiegal said:

13 hours ago, elle said:

Sorry to hear about your acquaintance, chenoa333.

I haven't seen the commercial with laughter as a side effect ,but I worked with someone who had PBA and recall the commercials for that.  He didn't cry, but did laugh at the worst possible times and couldn't control it (he had a stroke when he was younger).  He would sometimes also just randomly break in to using foreign accents, and then have no recollection of it.  We had to talk on the phone at that job, and people would complain about him.  Management was very nice about it an didn't hold it against him, but he eventually left.  Not sure where he went.

3 hours ago, Haleth said:

Eh, if these athletes can get an endorsement to help defray the cost of going to the Olympics, more power to 'em.  (Of course I think it's the kiss o' death to promote these athletes.  Build them up then watch them fail.  (Looking at you, Lindsay Vonn, Nathan Chen.))

Or Ashley Wagner, who is in all kinds of promotional materials and commercials for Bridgstone, but she didn't make the cut for the Olympic team at Nationals.

I know this lady has been around for a while, but that Cathy woman, who sells those copper kitchen appliances, makes me stabby.   Her voice is so awful, even worse than if you take a hit of helium, that I just can’t stand to listen to her.  How they continue to use her is beyond me.  

• Love 9
54 minutes ago, KLovestoShop said:

I know this lady has been around for a while, but that Cathy woman, who sells those copper kitchen appliances, makes me stabby.   Her voice is so awful, even worse than if you take a hit of helium, that I just can’t stand to listen to her.  How they continue to use her is beyond me.  

Is that the woman who used to sell "dump" recipe books on TV? 

• Love 2
16 hours ago, elle said:

There is a neurological disorder called Pseudobulbar affect (PBA) that causes uncontrollable crying and/or laughing that happens suddenly and frequently.  There were ads for this, I do not know if it is still aired.

Danny Glover did a commercial about it, but I haven't seen it add in months.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

1 hour ago, Ilovecomputers said:

Is that the woman who used to sell "dump" recipe books on TV? 

That's her.  She's been around since the late 80's or early 90's, that I can recall.  When I was in high school, she'd do an infomercial for an electric sandwich pocket maker.  She would rave on and on about this dieter's delight pocket - NO BREAD!!!  She'd go on and on about this having no bread, then she'd tell you to make it by mixing tuna and mashed potatoes.  SEE????  NO BREAD!!!!  My mom would go full-on rage and yell at the TV: "POTATOES ARE BREAD, YOU MORON!!!!!".

• Love 8

Cathy has moved on to Red Copper. I don't mind her, I don't love her, but I don't hate her like I do Farmers Only. I have the sandwich maker, I like it and I use it, my favorite, peanut butter on English Muffin. And I've been doing dump cakes in the slow cooker the past couple of months. I can't really use the kitchen in this house, but that's another big post that isn't appropriate for this thread. 

• Love 2
15 hours ago, seasons said:

I hate when celebrities do commercials.

And I'm supposed to believe that Kristen Bell is going to buy a used car from Enterprise? Mmkay.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/we8Y/enterprise-mom-check-featuring-kristen-bell?autoplay=1

A couple of years ago, retired NBA player Shaquille O'Neal did an ad for a Buick sedan. O'Neal is a mountain of a man, 7 foot plus, 300 pounds plus. In the ad, he walks up to the car, opens the door and then there is a cut to him seated in the car. You never see him actually get into it.

He was doing a pre-game/halftime show at the time the commercial debuted, and the other former NBA players on the show (Charles Barkley and Kenny Smith) spent an entire evening giving him crap and proclaiming that there was no way he could have gotten in that car.

• Love 12
8 hours ago, xaxat said:

A couple of years ago, retired NBA player Shaquille O'Neal did an ad for a Buick sedan.

Nowadays, he's everywhere, selling Gold Bond, The General insurance and it seems like something else.  Didn't he make a bazillion dollars when he played basketball? 

I think I've seen her selling a red copper brownie pan that looks like a maze for rats.

13 hours ago, friendperidot said:

Cathy has moved on to Red Copper.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Ilovecomputers said:

Nowadays, he's everywhere, selling Gold Bond, The General insurance and it seems like something else.  Didn't he make a bazillion dollars when he played basketball? 

I think I've seen her selling a red copper brownie pan that looks like a maze for rats.

I don't think that Shaq is broke or anything.  I think he may just like staying in the public eye.  I seem to recall he made some shrewd investments that still serve him well.

• Love 5

Cathy has moved on to Red Copper. I don't mind her, I don't love her, but I don't hate her like I do Farmers Only. I have the sandwich maker, I like it and I use it, my favorite, peanut butter on English Muffin. And I've been doing dump cakes in the slow cooker the past couple of months. I can't really use the kitchen in this house, but that's another big post that isn't appropriate for this thread. 

Cathy Mitchell has the most annoying voice on TV for sure. But . . . I kind of want that pan.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I hate every commercial where someone mispronounces "voila".

Like the kid who constantly licks her lips in the Liberty Mutual commercial who says "Ba-la".  GRRRRRR

Not really a commercial, but more a promo that has been on my last nerve is one that FXX shows for The Peanuts Movie.  My husband turns that on when there's nothing else he wants to watch, and watches old episodes of The Simpsons.  They air a promo for their airing of The Peanuts Movie (I've never seen it - I liked the Peanuts strips, but never cared for the animated stuff) that has rap-style scratching playing while Charlie Brown repeatedly zips and unzips his coat.  Sometimes it zips up, and other times the zipper separates.  I usually yell "If you got it zipped right, then why do you keep unzipping it?????".  Yes, I know Charlie Brown is doomed to a life of frustration, but I think even he would know that if his jacket zipped up correctly, he'd just leave it alone.  To me, just a stupid promo.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, David Zak said:

I hate the Peloton ads.  The sweating models pumping away on their stationaries while the house and kids need attention.

And the moment she gets off, dripping with sweat, she enfolds her child in an embrace.  Eww!

• Love 11