Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

• Start Topic

I hate that stupid Triscuit ad with Cecily Whatsherface because the word they show doesn't even LOOK like it has Pomeranian in it.

I hate the Domino's kids hair also but my main issue is that he is not charming in the least.  So I really hope he never gets a pizza.

I realized my problem with the stupid Friendly's talking dessert ads is that the ice creams that are supposedly supposed to be talking have nothing animatronic about them.  So it's just some guy doing an annoying voiceover in front of a sundae.  

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Brattinella said:

I think there was a song in the 70's where it said "He's a bad mamma-jamma".

It was an awesome song!!  I haven't heard that in a long time and now I'm going to boogie my way over to iTunes and download it.  Because, she's a bad mamma-jamma, just fine as she can be.

• Love 4

Oh Lord...I thought this very annoying Maytag ad was gone but no........he's back. The tall skinny guy from Animal Planet's "Dirty Jobs". I don't know his name but he is wearing a Maytag repair person uniform, standing in somebody's kitchen in the empty space where a refrigerator belongs. He's tapping his feet pretending he's a refrigerator? I don't know what he's doing but I was so happy this commercial was gone. So apparently, It has been resurrected. 

That's not Mike Rowe (from Dirty Jobs).   It's Colin Ferguson, an actor.  When he's in the kitchen as an avatar for a fridge, he's running because a refrigerator is always running (hence the old phone call gag 'is you're refrigerator running / you'd better catch it before it gets away).

Every time I hear Chevy Douche rattle off the places it 'great to be today', I keep hoping one of them is Mars.  Only he won't be able to say it's great to be there because he'll be gasping for life Ronny Cox in Total Recall until he finally expires next to his Chevy Mars Rover.

• Love 6

There's a series of fairy tale themed Toyota commercials blighting the airwaves now. One of them involves a vaguely Margot Robbie-looking model removing her braid and using it to slide down a wire to escape a boring party and meet up with her two boyfriends. Another one involves a woman who puts a gown together with stuff from a hardware store so that she can hit the runway at a fashion show before the stroke of midnight. What's dumb about these two particular ads is that the car being advertised is barely mentioned at all. So the viewer is left wondering, "What was that an ad for? Hair extensions? Ace Hardware?"

I don't get these either . . . and first I actually thought they were kind of clever but when I realized they were car commercials I was like "wait . . . what?" I don't get the connection. Is it just that these "modern day" princesses would be driving away in a modern day Toyota? And why are there two guys waiting for Repunzel? Are they suggesting a threesome? That might be a little too progressive. For a car commercial, I mean.

The kitchen as an avatar for a fridge, he's running because a refrigerator is always running (hence the old phone call gag 'is you're refrigerator running / you'd better catch it before it gets away).

OH. Thank you for explaining that, because I am stupid. I didn't understand why he was "running" either. But I do kind of love that commercial where every appliance is a person, it cracks me up.

• Love 1
On 4/26/2017 at 10:26 PM, OrigamiNightmare said:

Someone loathe this with me. I think it's a Clear Blue Easy pregnancy test. It has three different people telling others they're pregnant. The first is a woman telling her parents, they hug and the mother says "I'm so happy." The second is a woman telling her friends. The third is a woman telling her significant other ... What drives me nuts (other than Hulu playing it a billion times an hour), is the second girl. Most of her friends reactions seem relatively normal, but one woman completely over reacts and is, like, "Oh My Gawwwd!" ... and she has the biggest frickin' overbite I've ever seen! It's crazy!

I also hate the match.com ad ... "my sister met her ... husband on match" "so she's living happily ever after" ... Fuck you, no one lives happily ever after! grrr ... get off my lawn! 

I think this is the one with the little girl (last group I think) that says, "I hope it's a girl!"  That child just freaks me out for some reason.  Also, I saw the overbite girls as well. lol 

• Love 2
On 5/5/2017 at 8:21 AM, BusyOctober said:

There is a Gillette ad for women's razors that I keep seeing on my iPad, but haven't seen it on tv yet.  It starts with a young woman with her arm raised and she starts shaving.  I assume the target area is her underarm, but she starts applying the razor about 2 inches above her elbow!  If this lady has hair growing on the inside of her upper arm, that far away from her armpit, the Venus razor may not be the first depilatory option to pull off the shelf.

Thank you!  I yell at the tv every time I see that one.  Why is she shaving from her elbow????

• Love 2
On 5/15/2017 at 5:31 PM, millennium said:

Aside from the very real privacy concerns about that service, another element of the commercials bugs me: the spokesperson's apparent compulsion to dress up like a native of whatever land they're supposedly from (or surround themselves with artifacts), i.e., the idiot in lederhosen and a kilt, the woman posing with the southwestern pottery, and most recently, the black woman holding an African hat and describing how she cried when she put it on. 

Nearly 100% of my ancestors came from Ireland, but I'll be damned if I ever felt compelled to get myself a shillelagh or spontaneously perform numbers from Riverdance.    I don't even wear green on St. Patrick's Day.  

It's like Ancestry is trying to sell the message that being an American is a pretty empty existence and you're not fulfilled until you can claim kinship with some country you've probably never set foot in.

Why do people believe the results anyway?  They could put whatever and I'd probably not know the difference.  I say...

prove it.jpg

• Love 5

I can see the value in it if you honestly don't know your ancestry. The black woman who finds out she's one quarter Nigerian, for example - that would be an interesting find. But  . . . the people who say they always thought they were German and turn out to be Irish or whatever . . . that's kind of baffling. And based on what I know of these tests, they're not necessarily accurate enough to tell you if you're German or Irish. She could have had ancestors who originated in Ireland but had lived much longer in Germany and were for all practical purposes, indeed German. When you get into Europe they're using statistics to show the likelihood of where your ancestors were based on percentages in various countries. Doesn't really prove a thing except a majority of DNA samples can be found in a particular spot.

• Love 5

While most of the people in those commercials annoy me (especially the woman who confuses nationality with ethnicity) I think the idea of researching one's ancestry is a fun hobby.  I expect most people don't find any surprises in their DNA results.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, Haleth said:

While most of the people in those commercials annoy me (especially the woman who confuses nationality with ethnicity) I think the idea of researching one's ancestry is a fun hobby.  I expect most people don't find any surprises in their DNA results.

It would be more interesting if they pulled a Maury Povich and found out "you are not the father!".

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Haleth said:

I found a few in mine -- that I'm not Native American as family lore claimed, but I am part Mongolian! That Genghis Khan really got around!

On 6/27/2017 at 10:47 AM, Brattinella said:

It is a ploy to get your DNA.

I thought about this too, but the thing is, no one is there checking your ID when you take the sample. You could put it under any name you want. They may use the data in aggregate but they can't really use it against you personally.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, JocelynCavanaugh said:

I found a few in mine -- that I'm not Native American as family lore claimed, but I am part Mongolian! That Genghis Khan really got around!

I thought about this too, but the thing is, no one is there checking your ID when you take the sample. You could put it under any name you want. They may use the data in aggregate but they can't really use it against you personally.

Besides, the government already has all of our DNA.  They took a sample when they implanted our chips.

• Love 13
9 hours ago, Haleth said:

It was a fun hobby for my mom - she travelled to all the towns where my family had lived going back generations, talked to many librarians, and even found links that got us included in the Meriwether Society (as in Meriwether Lewis, the explorer). There was a big genealogy resource-sharing culture when the Internet was young.

And that got batch-imported into Ancestry, where they're making money off what those people gave away.

• Love 3

I hate the Yoplait yogurt "mom-on" ads.  All these young women with giant chips on their shoulders about some sort of judging that seems to be mainly in their heads. So some old couple looked at you while you were breast feeding.  Maybe they were trying to remember if you were one of their granddaughters.  Get over it and get on with your life, nobody cares whether you eat in the car or not. 

And of course Yoplait is acting like their motive is to empower mothers when it's really all about getting you to give your kids yogurt that has almost twice as many sugar grams as a Crispy Cream donut. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, JocelynCavanaugh said:

They don't need your name if they have your DNA. It doesn't get any more personal than that. 

I'd worry about being falsely convicted of a crime on DNA evidence. "How did they get your DNA?" "I gave it to them."

• Love 2
1 minute ago, ennui said:

They don't need your name if they have your DNA. It doesn't get any more personal than that. 

I'd worry about being falsely convicted of a crime on DNA evidence. "How did they get your DNA?" "I gave it to them."

They don't know for sure it's my DNA. That's the thing. No one was present and checking my ID as I allegedly made the sample. It could be my neighbor or sister or whoever's. You can't convict anyone on that; if you're trying to mount a defense, you collect DNA directly from the suspect. 

• Love 4
56 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

I hate the Yoplait yogurt "mom-on" ads.  All these young women with giant chips on their shoulders about some sort of judging that seems to be mainly in their heads. So some old couple looked at you while you were breast feeding.  Maybe they were trying to remember if you were one of their granddaughters.  Get over it and get on with your life, nobody cares whether you eat in the car or not. 

And of course Yoplait is acting like their motive is to empower mothers when it's really all about getting you to give your kids yogurt that has almost twice as many sugar grams as a Crispy Cream donut. 

Exactly!  I was just coming to post about that.  Yoplait is telling moms that it's okay to give their kids crap because "social media" is criticizing their childrearing and so, just give them what they like instead of what's good for them.  Here's an idea, why not make a product that isn't full of crap?

• Love 4

The Colonel is back. He's wearing a spacesuit and plagiarizing one of JFK's greatest speeches to push KFC's new Salt, Fat, and Cholesterol sandwich. Kinda hoping his spaceship gets stranded on Pluto. With a slow air leak.

• Love 3

I've thought about the DNA heritage testing just because I am curious.  Sometimes it is surprising. 

Our church pastor did it to prove a point.  His big push is for the church to be all inclusive and multicultural, as all churches should be but generally aren't.  As he reminds us weekly, there is no African American or Hispanic or white part of heaven. 

ANyway he is African American and did one of these DNA tests, found out he is like 9% Scandinavian, which completely shocked him, never would have guessed that.  A good mixture of other stuff.  He was emphasizing that really "race" is a social construct, not a scientific one.  We are mixtures of many heritages that is much more complex than phenotypically how you look on the outside, where you grew up or even who your parents happen to be. 

On another note, that kid in the Dominos commercial trying to be ferris bueller is awful.  And annoying.  The commercials are just bad and pointless, a poor attempt to capitalize off nostalgia. 

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

On another note, that kid in the Dominos commercial trying to be ferris bueller is awful.  And annoying.  The commercials are just bad and pointless, a poor attempt to capitalize off nostalgia. 

I agree. Even if those commercials did appeal to me at all I still wouldn't order from my local Dominos. They have a minimum $13 delivery order rule and that's before their $2.99 delivery fee. It's just me so I don't usually have that big of an order to make.. I mean even ordering two items from their $5.99 each deal isn't even enough to make their minimum.

• Love 2

They don't know for sure it's my DNA. That's the thing. No one was present and checking my ID as I allegedly made the sample. It could be my neighbor or sister or whoever's. You can't convict anyone on that; if you're trying to mount a defense, you collect DNA directly from the suspect. 

Well the argument is that if the FBI or the NSA has access to the Ancestry.com database, and searches that database for suspects, and matches your DNA to a crime scene, they could then come to your house with a warrant and at that point compel you to give them another sample. It's not that they could convict you based on the sample in the Ancestry database, it's that they might mistakenly link you to a crime. Of course, if they did that and then got another sample and it matched the crime scene too . . . wait, let me go get my tinfoil hat.

• Love 5

The Olive Garden "Tour of Italy"  commercial makes my ears hurt.  The VO actor keeps saying "Tore" of Italy, and it's aggravating.  I know there is a subtle difference, but in this case - it's about as subtle as a hammer to the head.

• Love 1

Oh, man, don't get me started on pronunciation!  We have a weatherman who cannot pronounce a long "E" to save his life; he pronounces it as a long "A".  So, we have bad weather in the "RAGIN" instead of region.  Is this a dialect anomaly that is familiar to anyone?

• Love 2

Another thing that irritates me about the death insurance ad with the Sarah Jessica Parker look-alike is while she's talking on the phone to "Kennedy", the husband is in the background saying, "what'd she say, what'd she say?" Sarah answers him, then goes back to her phone conversation. I have family members and have had bosses that do that, it irritates the snot out of me. Either wait until I'm off the phone and I'll answer your questions or make the call your own damn self!

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Brattinella said:

Oh, man, don't get me started on pronunciation!  We have a weatherman who cannot pronounce a long "E" to save his life; he pronounces it as a long "A".  So, we have bad weather in the "RAGIN" instead of region.  Is this a dialect anomaly that is familiar to anyone?

I haven't come across that one, but my relatives from midwest America sometimes pronounce a short "E" as a long "A."  (Measure = MAYzhur, pleasure = PLAY-zhur).

• Love 1
6 hours ago, janie jones said:

In some parts of the country, people pronounce "tour" so it rhymes with "pour," so he may well be saying "tore" of Italy.

How else is there to pronounce the word tour? I've never heard it said any other way than rhyming with pour.

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Brattinella said:

NO!   lol

I never post here because I DVR most shows and miss many commercials and don't want to add one that irritates the fuck out of me because it has probably been discussed to death.  But here goes. 

Smoking alerts.  The woman who smoked looks into the incubator with the camera strategically placed to see her face from inside.  It a TOTALLY different and dramatic tone of voice, she says "speak louder so your baby can hear you."   Who talks like that?!

The barrage of cancer warnings are over the top.   And yes, my mother and aunt died of lung cancer so save your comments on how these are important, respectfully please.   

What you think about effects your life.  Everyone stop obsessing about cancer.  We all know it exists and is a hideous disease. 

Positive thoughts!!!

• Love 8
(edited)
27 minutes ago, configdotsys said:

How else is there to pronounce the word tour? I've never heard it said any other way than rhyming with pour.

Some places say it like "two-or" instead. 

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Love 6
(edited)
1 hour ago, wings707 said:

Smoking alerts.  The woman who smoked looks into the incubator with the camera strategically placed to see her face from inside.  It a TOTALLY different and dramatic tone of voice, she says "speak louder so your baby can hear you."   Who talks like that?!

I KNOW!  She sounds so creepy!

1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Some places say it like "two-or" instead. 

Yep.  I pronounce "pour" as "pore".  As in pour me a cup of coffee.  A "tour" I pronounce as "two-er".

So you say tour rhymes with pour?   I think tour more closely rhymes with poor.  But my geographics have probably affected my speech. ;)

ETA: I'm sorry, I attributed the wrong person with that pronunciation.

Edited by Brattinella
  • Love 4
(edited)

Some twee-ass commercial about one of those meal-ingredient-delivery services is extolling all the virtues of cooking and life's simple pleasures, by way of "poetic" prose (not unlike that of fucking Panera commercials): "Tonight, we learn the past life of chicken fingers" (or something like that). Is the answer...oh, I don't know...LIVE CHICKENS?

ETA: I am assuming the point is experiencing chicken in its pure, fresh form as opposed to processed nuggets/fingers? But to my ears it sounds like a method to teach someone to stop eating meat altogether, haha! And dumb; it also sounds just plain dumb! I think the fresh-food point might have actually been better made with a non-animal example.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 7

I had to check you tube to see if Mahk slayed the bad mamajamma ad yet, but alas it doesn't appear so.  But did find this one I hadn't seen before where Mahk takes on millennials:

"I always wondered what happened to Jamorquai"

He's also still branching out beyond Chevy.  Not quite as good as Movantik, but he takes on The King here:

• Love 7
9 hours ago, eyelash said:

I haven't come across that one, but my relatives from midwest America sometimes pronounce a short "E" as a long "A."  (Measure = MAYzhur, pleasure = PLAY-zhur).

Ugh. Pronunciation. My mother used to tell us to warsh our hands or that she was warshing our clothes. No one else in her family says it like that. Not even her mother said it like that! I don't know where the hell she got that from, but it annoys the fuck out of me.

• Love 3