Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

The GelActiv commercial has been driving me crazy. "Turn your heels into sneakers!"

Uh huh. I'm pretty sure that tiptoeing around in sneakers while balancing on a spike would not be a huge improvement to my day.

• Love 5

I have come here to say how much I hate the current Volvo(?) commercial. "Your child was in accident, but it's all just fine because our cars are safe in crashes. Who cares that your car is destroyed and your dipshit brat just ruined someone else's year?" 

While I'm on the subject, the ones where the car sensors activate the brakes bug me profoundly because I fear people will now think they have to pay even less attention while driving because the car will save them. 

• Love 17
14 minutes ago, Ghost of TWOP Past said:

the ones where the car sensors activate the brakes bug me profoundly because I fear people will now think they have to pay even less attention while driving because the car will save them. 

^^^THIS so much.  "Hey, now I can text/chat on my cell phone and my car will stop itself if it needs to!".  Lunacy.

• Love 9
On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 3:15 PM, iMonrey said:

Some of the ancestry.com ads make me wonder . . . don't you know who your parents are?? I mean, sure - that's possible in some cases. Or their family has been misinformed for generations about where they came from. But, they seem to think they're something else until they find out otherwise. Seems to me that's where the real story is. Why did you grow up thinking you were Irish when it turns out you're German? Were your ancestors Nazis or something?

And - not for nothing, but in most cases DNA tests won't tell you a specific region in Europe if you have markers that show you are mostly European. It's just going to come back "European." Could be Italian, could be Spanish, could be German, could be Hungarian, could be Polish, etc.

Yes - European countries are fairly close, and sometimes what nationality you call yourself depends on how many generations you go back.   Example -  I know a large family who was very proud of their Irish heritage.   Yes, their grandparents came to the US from Ireland.  But when they visited Ireland, they were told they were not Irish - because the great-grandfather had moved from Scotland to Ireland.    My husband's family is Polish.  Someone else with the same last name is Italian.  The story is that the family was Italian, but one son moved to Poland and settled there.  So, are descendants of that son Italian?  or Polish?   It depends on which generation you look at. 

I just don't believe that for most people, at least of European background,  DNA will give any useful information.  Except how easily you part with your money.

• Love 10
8 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Title Max -- https://www.ispot.tv/ad/AEpH/titlemax-need-it-now

OK, they give you a loan against your car, as long as it has a clear title.  WTH kind of car does that chick have that she can get $10,000 against her paid-off car?  If she can pay it off THAT quickly, that depreciation hasn't eaten its value, WHY on earth would she go to Title Max?

Thank you.  Those places are the worst kind of predatory loans.  We have them all over here.  What they don't tell you is they will repo your car if you're a minute "late" on a loan payment.  I know someone who had theirs repossessed two days early.  And all legal.  I've been poor as hell.  Never would I put my car up for collateral.  

• Love 8
13 hours ago, Ghost of TWOP Past said:

I have come here to say how much I hate the current Volvo(?) commercial. "Your child was in accident, but it's all just fine because our cars are safe in crashes. Who cares that your car is destroyed and your dipshit brat just ruined someone else's year?" 

While I'm on the subject, the ones where the car sensors activate the brakes bug me profoundly because I fear people will now think they have to pay even less attention while driving because the car will save them. 

I just want to say I love your user name! I wonder how many of us are TWoP refugees?

• Love 18

I just saw a Fitbit commercial which starts with the daughter giving her father a Fitbit and ends with her getting married.  My question is, did she give it to him because she wanted him healthy or because she wanted him to fit into his wedding clothes so as not to embarras her on her big day?  I didn't quite have that "aw" moment that I am sure I was supposed to feel.

• Love 2

I despise the Rachel Ray Nutrish commercial. In fact, I dislike it so much I went searching for a forum where I could vent about it and happily  stumbled across this site. 

Main issues--I don't find Rachel Ray's schtick to be cute or humorous. Her continued slaughtering of words into 'cutesie' catchphrases is annoying to the majority of adults I know. I find her so off-putting that while her product might actually be good for my pet, I will never buy it. Anytime that commercial comes on, I change the channel instead of listen to her nails-on-chalkboard narrative, I'm sure that's not the desired effect the company is looking for with their expensive advertisements.

• Love 12
40 minutes ago, Arv6 said:

I despise the Rachel Ray Nutrish commercial. In fact, I dislike it so much I went searching for a forum where I could vent about it and happily  stumbled across this site. 

Main issues--I don't find Rachel Ray's schtick to be cute or humorous. Her continued slaughtering of words into 'cutesie' catchphrases is annoying to the majority of adults I know. I find her so off-putting that while her product might actually be good for my pet, I will never buy it. Anytime that commercial comes on, I change the channel instead of listen to her nails-on-chalkboard narrative, I'm sure that's not the desired effect the company is looking for with their expensive advertisements.

I agree.  Her cutesy-poo phrases, yummo (UGH) and Nutrish and all the rest, bug me so much.  I can't stand her anymore.

• Love 4

Yes. I believe so.  Not a great Rachel Ray fan but I know she loves animals.  Still, I bought her dry cat food after my sister said her cats loved it.  Mine hated it (and he ate everything!)  so I gave it to my mom and her cats didn't like it.  Talked to my sister later and her cats stopped eating it.  Maybe it's "Nutrish" but not so tasty.

• Love 2

Thank you Previously for giving us the real story on the Trivago browser history.   I was wrong, I thought he was checking HER history.   But sweetie, if that bum is living off your hard work, you chuck him out the door right now.  And don't let him back in.   Loved that you cancelled the cards.

And what is it with the British ladies who all want us to go commando?   Is this an English thing?   Because I've seen the weather reports there, I am wearing as many layers as I can, including undies.

• Love 3

The woman in the Ancestry ad learned she's one-quarter Native American and says it's changed her outlook.  Why?  Did she not sympathize with Native Americans before?  Does she have a sudden urge to buy Navajo pottery?  Maybe, since she's pictured with NA pots.

Learning something new about my ancestry wouldn't change anything for me.  I'd still be proud of my pioneering ancestors, wherever they came from, and I'd still want to visit England and France someday. 

• Love 6

I haven't seen the commercial, but to be one-quarter anything, wouldn't that mean two grandparents were full-blooded [insert ethnicity]? I would think it's more uncommon than common to not know one's grandparents' ethnicities. Unless one is adopted, one's parents know what their parents are. I don't know. Ancestry.com is not all it's cracked up to be, speaking from experience in conducting my own genealogical history.

• Love 2

I hate the way Chevy focus group guy says the word "Silverado." Petty, I know. Also, those people are way too impressed by the truck's lightly dented steel bed.

I also dislike the Fitbit father/daughter commercial. I'm pretty sure Dad was in good enough shape for the quick trip up the aisle.

Jeep, please take your vehicle for all Americans schtick with the folksy music and bumper stickers and drive off my screen. Why are so many car commercials so terrible?

Michelob Light, the sight of people's faces contorted in pain and determination while doing grueling exercises with sweat flying and splattering everywhere doesn't work up a thirst for your product. Admittedly, there is no image that could tempt me to partake of your beer, but still. The obnoxious Put on a Happy Face song playing throughout the commercial is just an added layer of suck. 

• Love 4
On October 15, 2016 at 6:39 PM, Neurochick said:

I'm getting tired of that commercial with that "Kimmy Schmidt" woman, Ellie Kemper I think.  I watch a lot of TV "on demand" and they run that same stupid commercial during every single break.  Ugh.

Thank you for being sick of that commercial! Or at least mentioning it here. ;) I've been wondering why I'm supposed to know who she is... I mean, I got that she was "someone" because of the one that ends with "celebrity endorsements are the WORST! *wink*" but it fell flat because I had no idea who she was. And frankly I was too lazy to google. The ad doesn't really bother me otherwise, but I was annoyed at myself for not getting the joke ;)

• Love 2
23 hours ago, Ghost of TWOP Past said:

Tesla is in trouble in Germany for running ads that imply that the driver doesn't have to pay attention to the road.

3 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I haven't seen the commercial, but to be one-quarter anything, wouldn't that mean two grandparents were full-blooded [insert ethnicity]? I would think it's more uncommon than common to not know one's grandparents' ethnicities. Unless one is adopted, one's parents know what their parents are. I don't know. Ancestry.com is not all it's cracked up to be, speaking from experience in conducting my own genealogical history.

Well, not necessarily, all of her ancestors could have been one quarter for quite a few generations, I think.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Well, not necessarily, all of her ancestors could have been one quarter for quite a few generations, I think.

Or even more interesting fractions; you get half of each parent's DNA, but which half is random - you might get whatever marker they're using for this while your full sibling got nothing. 

• Love 3
On 10/8/2016 at 3:58 PM, Bastet said:

I love the Myrbetric (or something like that) bladder; for me, it's those big eyes, especially when they're just visible over the table, going back and forth between the woman and her doctor.

I have always found the little bladder cute. And it seems like he is very interested in getting his condition under control.

• Love 9
On 10/11/2016 at 8:21 PM, Jamoche said:

Salad eaters will just order from a different restaurant. They're targeting pizza eaters who hate salad eaters, but are trapped in a loveless marriage, just like the ones trapped with yogurt bitches.

Oy vey, they should all just order from a real pizza place, the likes of which have offered real salads for eons!

• Love 8

All these chain restaurants have always offered salads, they just weren't on their online menu ordering options, for some reason.  But if you called in your order and asked for a salad, they'd have options (Greek, antipasto, garden, etc).  

• Love 3
22 hours ago, AuntiePam said:

The woman in the Ancestry ad learned she's one-quarter Native American and says it's changed her outlook.  Why?  Did she not sympathize with Native Americans before?  Does she have a sudden urge to buy Navajo pottery?  Maybe, since she's pictured with NA pots.

Maybe her outlook has taken a turn for the worse now that she realizes that she missed out on all of those sweet college scholarships for NAs. She thought about the money she could have saved. Then she thought about the money she just shelled out to ancestry.com, and her outlook plummeted further. And a single tear ran down her cheek.

• Love 18
17 hours ago, Jamoche said:

Or even more interesting fractions; you get half of each parent's DNA, but which half is random - you might get whatever marker they're using for this while your full sibling got nothing. 

The Ancestry commercials annoy me for multiple reasons.  First, the series where people find out something about a relative are always so irrelevant -- ooh, you come from a long line of barbers and you're bald.  Quelle surprise!  There have never been bald  barbers.  Once you lose your hair, you have to turn in your clippers and scissors.  (All people with my last name, unless they took it through marriage, are related to the same person who came to the US in the mid 1700s and was hanged for murder.  Celebrate that story,  ancestry.com!) Second, the ones for the DNA analysis have people acting like they changed cultural affiliations when they found out their DNA.  If you always enjoyed Scottish dance, keep Scottish dancing.  It's not like you found out many of your ancestors were of German descent so now you suddenly can't Scottish dance.  "Dammit!  My feet just don't move the same way anymore!"  Do any these people have friends with which they shared these activities?  Do they disconnect from their communities?  Is formerly Italian guy no longer allowed to eat Italian food?  He's Eastern European.  Get him some borscht!  He needs potatoes, herring and sour cream stat!  

Finally, for the DNA ads, since whatever they are using to identify your racial/ethnic background does vary among siblings, my brother and I are not the same.  They can say we are likely related.  However, by the results we received one of us is biracial and the other isn't. 

Edited by Muffyn
Removed statement that while correct and provable could be viewed as political
  • Love 12
23 hours ago, NinjaPenguins said:

I hate the way Chevy focus group guy says the word "Silverado." Petty, I know. Also, those people are way too impressed by the truck's lightly dented steel bed.

There's one where I hate the way one woman says "Chevy."  Ugh.

• Love 1
On 10/14/2016 at 7:19 PM, Brattinella said:

The new Toyota ad with "You Don't Own Me".  FIX IT Toyota!  Everyone else on the ad actually sings the song; the guys on the Basketball Court?  NO NO NO NO they are just shouting, this makes me mute your commercial every time! 

The first person, the chef who is huffy because the head chef dumped her food bugs the crap out of me.  Umm, may he dumped your food because you did it wrong.

• Love 1
On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 3:49 PM, Arv6 said:

I can't argue with success. My kitty is allergic to feather food. She lost her fur and would bite at her self, have rashes and act crazy - I had her tested for everything... Thyroid... the vet threw up her hands when the meds didn't work. Then I read that some cats can be allergic to chicken, turkey etc. Rachel's Salmon dry food literally saved her life. She looks like a show cat.

• Love 8
On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 0:08 PM, Muffyn said:

I take these commercials as proof that people only drink red's apple ale if they have suffered a head injury and can no longer remember how it tastes. Not what they were going for? 

I am guessing they were tying to recreate the legend of how Newton discovered(?) gravity.

On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 5:44 PM, NinjaPenguins said:

I can't with Ahnold and his Mobile Strike ads. "Call a doctor, you've got a case of missile poisoning." Shut the fuck up.

Yeah, I am sick of seeing Ahnold on those game ads and making lame puns.

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 0:29 PM, mmecorday said:

He just seems an odd choice for a spokesman. I think most people -- at least in my generation -- remember him as Lloyd Braun, George Costanza's nemesis on "Seinfeld."

I remember him as the negotiator who seduced Troi on Star Trek.

On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 11:57 AM, NinjaPenguins said:

That Panera "or something" ad is just hard to take. The food is great; just tell me about the great food. Show me the great food sitting prettily on a plate, not being shoveled into someone's maw. And for dog's sake, no matter how great the food is, it is still just a damn sandwich. It's not on par with becoming a doctor or being a good parent, so get the hell over yourselves, Panera. Get a new voiceover person while you're at it.

Panera ads are beyond tedious for me. I hate the "... or something" ad campaign.

On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 9:08 AM, OSM Mom said:

Thank you.  Those places are the worst kind of predatory loans.  We have them all over here.  What they don't tell you is they will repo your car if you're a minute "late" on a loan payment.  I know someone who had theirs repossessed two days early.  And all legal.  I've been poor as hell.  Never would I put my car up for collateral.  

I feel the same way about those "rent to own" places I see ads for locally. BIG rip-off!

• Love 8

I was going to mention the Rent-A-Center type places(and there's a commercial encouraging you to do your holiday shopping there).  You could put you $19.99 a week or whatever in an envelope, stick it under your mattress, and have enough to buy it outright far sooner.

• Love 6
On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 4:15 PM, iMonrey said:

Some of the ancestry.com ads make me wonder . . . don't you know who your parents are?? I mean, sure - that's possible in some cases. Or their family has been misinformed for generations about where they came from. But, they seem to think they're something else until they find out otherwise. Seems to me that's where the real story is. Why did you grow up thinking you were Irish when it turns out you're German? Were your ancestors Nazis or something?

And - not for nothing, but in most cases DNA tests won't tell you a specific region in Europe if you have markers that show you are mostly European. It's just going to come back "European." Could be Italian, could be Spanish, could be German, could be Hungarian, could be Polish, etc.

It does get a little more specific than just "European" - Eastern European, Southern European, etc., but not as specific as Germany or Italy.

• Love 1

Had to create an account just to vent some commercial hatred.

1) The target commercials (there are several of lengths varying from "wew, glad that's over" to "shoot me now") featuring the song "Diggy" by Spencer Ludwig.  

I'll get you DAN-CIN...TILL THE DIGGY DIGGY DIGGY D'DAWN

This stupid song is an earworm and not in the good way. Whiny voice, idiotic lyrics. LAME!  And it's on all the damn time.

2) The Ritz cracker commercial with the girl with a new pair of glasses.  Probably wouldn't bother me if it wasn't played every damn commercial break. The "HEY!!!!" that the extended family yells when they open the door sounds like a full battalion of teenage girls and is SO LOUD and obnoxious.

3) All of the idiotic Ancestry.com commercials. The woman who's part African, part Asian and OMG everybody is always asking me "what are you???" -- yeah, OK, you're not that interesting, dear.   The couple featuring a poor man's Helen Hunt in a leather biker jacker that says:  "I thought I married [dramatic pause] AN ITALIAN".  Big disappointment to you? Does he sleep on the couch now?  The commercial is talking about the husband's lineage, but she says "we found out one of our ancestors was eastern europerean".   Ours?  No, his.   I don't know why it bothers me so much.

** Don't even get me started on the Panera brat or mypillow.com. 

I feel a little better now.

Edited by DeaconBlues
  • Love 11
27 minutes ago, DeaconBlues said:

"I thought I married [dramatic pause] AN ITALIAN".  Big disappointment to you? Does he sleep on the couch now?  The commercial is talking about the husband's lineage, but she says "we found out one of our ancestors was eastern europerean".   Ours?  No, his.   I don't know why it bothers me so much.

^^^THIS so much.  I laughed SO hard at "Does he sleep on the couch now?"  That is precisely my reaction to that commercial.

• Love 4
20 hours ago, crowsworks said:

I can't argue with success. My kitty is allergic to feather food. She lost her fur and would bite at her self, have rashes and act crazy - I had her tested for everything... Thyroid... the vet threw up her hands when the meds didn't work. Then I read that some cats can be allergic to chicken, turkey etc. Rachel's Salmon dry food literally saved her life. She looks like a show cat.

My vet pretty much zeroed in on Scooter having a food allergy. They have you try "novel" protein - a kind of protein the cat's never had, so she has no allergic reaction to it. Scooter's last years, she lived on SciDi Venison & Green Pea. Sometimes vet was out of venison, so she ate Rabbit & Green Pea.  (The green pea thing seems to be a constant in these allergic diets.) Only once did we have Duck & Green Pea. I was trying to save that one to be the next "novel" protein in case she developed an allergy to venison and/or rabbit.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, DeaconBlues said:

The woman who's part African, part Asian and OMG everybody is always asking me "what are you???" -- yeah, OK, you're not that interesting, dear.  

Yep. Move to San Francisco or NYC, sweetheart, nobody will even blink at you.

• Love 5
14 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

"My God! You have the most beautiful head of hair!"  ...really?  Couldda fooled me.

Have you seen the one for the fake teeth? OMG they're stuck on like those vampire fangs that kids wear at Halloween. Yes, right, they look completely natural. Wear them on a first date! Wear them to job interviews! Can you imagine? You're explaining where you see yourself in five years to your potential boss and your cheap plastic teeth fall out onto the conference table. Brilliant!

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 6
8 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Have you seen the one for the fake teeth? OMG they're stuck on like those vampire fangs that kids wear at Halloween. Yes, right, they look completely natural. Wear them on a first date! Wear them to job interviews! Can you imagine? Your explaining where you see yourself in five years to your potential boss and your cheap plastic teeth fall out onto the conference table. Brilliant!

I was so debating posting about the fake teeth!  Thank you.  Yes, why would you spend thousands of dollars with the dentist when you can have high quality veneers for a mere $14.95.

Edited by cynicat
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, kat165 said:

That teeth commercial cracks me up. Those are the fakest looking choppers I've ever seen. Maybe a step up from those wax ones kids use to wear (& eat!) at Halloween - so right, Peaches.

Ohhhh, I loved to eat those fake teeth when I was a kid!

• Love 4

Phone ad - "if you're hungry for a slice of pie, why buy the whole pie?" Really, that's a comparison? First, who only wants one slice of pie? Really, who is that person? Second, you buy the whole pie because you have a slice now, a slice later, another slice later, and so on and so on. Third, maybe someone else in the house wants a slice of pie or two, or three.

• Love 6