Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

• Start Topic

I don't even know what they're selling, but this commercial where the girl is dying her hair and won't let her mom in, gives me anxiety.

The mom is banging on the door, and this little bitch is getting purple hair dye all over the bathroom. What a disrespectful little twat. I want to rip the door off the hinges and beat her with it. It makes me furious!

• Love 7

I don't even know what they're selling, but this commercial where the girl is dying her hair and won't let her mom in, gives me anxiety.

The mom is banging on the door, and this little bitch is getting purple hair dye all over the bathroom. What a disrespectful little twat. I want to rip the door off the hinges and beat her with it. It makes me furious!

She will grow up to eat Yoplait.

• Love 10

That one reminds me of an episode of Roseanne where Darlene is bent over the bathroom sink dying her hair black. Annoying neighbor girl walks in and says "whatcha doing?". Darlene: "Interpretive dance." 

Cracks me up every single time.

• Love 9

Utter defiance like that will never be tolerated by me!  If I was her mom, first I would demand she let me in NOW.  I might even threaten her with a cop.  But the very least I would do is confiscate her phone immediately.  Maybe someday she would get it back.

• Love 3

They're selling a cleaning product that the mom uses to clean up after that little snot.  Yes, yet another commercial in which a husband or kid makes a mess, and a smiling mom cleans up after them. 

• Love 7

There's a new Windows 10 commercial and that's all I know, because there was a giant spider and I had to burn my tv.

I entirely understand.  Hope you're able to enter that room again by now.

• Love 3

There's a new Windows 10 commercial and that's all I know, because there was a giant spider and I had to burn my tv.

I entirely understand.  Hope you're able to enter that room again by now.

Nope, it was inside the house. The only thing you can do is burn the whole thing to the ground & move to another state.

• Love 7

I think it's Dow Bathroom Cleaner. That may be the wrong product name, but it is made by Dow & it's the stuff they say has "scrubbing bubbles" in it. They're saying the mom (or, probably, the kid) can use it, when the hair coloring's done, to clean up any stains the purple hair dye might leave behind in the sink, on the counter, wherever, in the bathroom.

I'm finding the newest commercial for University of Phoenix annoying.  For one thing, forage and mortgage do not rhyme.   And there are too many words being forced to try (and they fail) to fit into the tune.  Finally, the commercial has turned that song into an earworm for me.  (But at least I'm singing the real words in my head and not the ones from the commercial.)

Ugh! It's gotten to the point where I have to race and hit the mute button every time that thing comes on. My issue is that the woman has a terrible singing voice and keeps dropping in and out between singing and speaking. When she stops and says "Still think I don't have a brain?" I want to reply "No, I think you can't sing for crap." And also? Poor Ray Bolger is rolling over in his grave.

• Love 11

My issue with the University of Phoenix ads is the use of "If I Only Had A Brain." The commercial implies that once you get your fancy pants degree from Phoenix, then you can prove to the world you've got a brain. In "The Wizard of Oz," the Wizard (or the man behind the curtain, whatever) tells The Scarecrow that he wouldn't have even made it to the Emerald City if he didn't already have some wits about him. The diploma he receives is merely a formality.

• Love 14

My issue with the University of Phoenix ads is the use of "If I Only Had A Brain." The commercial implies that once you get your fancy pants degree from Phoenix, then you can prove to the world you've got a brain. In "The Wizard of Oz," the Wizard (or the man behind the curtain, whatever) tells The Scarecrow that he wouldn't have even made it to the Emerald City if he didn't already have some wits about him. The diploma he receives is merely a formality.

I would be mostly amused if this is what they were going for, because.....not for nothing, I don't exactly think you're heading to the UoP if you have something to prove to people.

• Love 3

I remember Elizabeth Banks only from "Scrubs," where I hated the character. I don't think much of her as an actress, so I don't have an opinion as to whether she's "debasing" herself for Old Navy. I hate those commercials regardless who's doing them, because she, and Julia Louis-Dreyfus before her, are so obnoxious and borderline physically assaulting.

What strikes me most of all is how horrid her face is -- it looks like it's a death mask.

• Love 3

I like Elizabeth Banks.  She was a casual acquaintance (friend of a friend of a friend) that I met a few times when we were at the same college, where she was known by her real name, Liz Mitchell.  I think the Hunger Games movies have definitely increased her exposure.

The Alec Baldwin commercial.  I'm still not really sure what it's selling, I want to say it's about that doohickey that seems to be like a Siri, and that it's not actually an ad for some expensive socks or shoes.  I am not sure if he is supposed to be poking fun at his spoiled self or not... but I have to say I cringe every time when he's sprawled out on the bed in his leopard print silk underwear.  At one point, he raises his leg, and even though I know it won't, I cringe because I am very afraid that little Baldwin is going to make an appearance.  Like that Friends episode where Phoebe's friend kept flashing everyone until that weird bartender told him "this is a family establishment, keep the mouse in the house".

• Love 4

I'm annoyed by that ad for the gizmo that lets you see who's at your door even when you're not home.

A shady-looking guy shows up at this woman's door and claims to be doing "free housepainting estimates" and while sitting at a cafe far, far away, she prisses, "Not now; I'm bathing the children."

First of all, who talks that way? Second of all, that's a really dumb excuse. At best, the guy will just come back later. At worst, he thinks, "Ah, vulnerable woman alone in the house with little children!" and breaks in anyway.

Just say, "Not interested, please leave" and be done with it!!!!

I'm also annoyed by the two ladies dancing around in their Always pee pads. Yes, they are fully clothed, but we know the pee pads are there and that's all I can think about as I watch them bump and grind.

Edited by Eliot
  • Love 10

Roll back the clock 25 years and I'd have been changing viewing angles in the hope of catching a glimpse!

Yes, when Alec Baldwin was younger, he was very hot, with (as epitomized in "Off With His Shirt" from "Galavant") his "lush pectoral lawn" -- one of the hairiest chests I've ever seen.

I still hate those Amazon commercials, but I must give them points for the use of "rapscallions."

Those Taco Bell commercials where they keep saying some new fat-laden menu item is bigger than things like drones and the Internet irritate me.

• Love 2

I like Elizabeth Banks.  She was a casual acquaintance (friend of a friend of a friend) that I met a few times when we were at the same college, where she was known by her real name, Liz Mitchell.  I think the Hunger Games movies have definitely increased her exposure.

The Alec Baldwin commercial.  I'm still not really sure what it's selling, I want to say it's about that doohickey that seems to be like a Siri, and that it's not actually an ad for some expensive socks or shoes.  I am not sure if he is supposed to be poking fun at his spoiled self or not... but I have to say I cringe every time when he's sprawled out on the bed in his leopard print silk underwear.  At one point, he raises his leg, and even though I know it won't, I cringe because I am very afraid that little Baldwin is going to make an appearance.  Like that Friends episode where Phoebe's friend kept flashing everyone until that weird bartender told him "this is a family establishment, keep the mouse in the house".

I think I'm more confused about who the hell the audience is supposed to be for such a commercial.

Its a commercial about rich people acting obnoxious using the Amazon product.  So who is supposed to want to purchase a product used by tools to order cashmere socks.  People who want to aspire to that lifestyle but can't afford cashmere socks?  Rich people who currently buy cashmere socks?  I just don't see how its supposed to really connect to normal people.  Like, they constantly show how the product is used, but its used to purchase products I wouldn't want to buy and it is shown in such opulent circumstances that I don't get it.

I wasn't sure where to post this, either here or in the "scratch your head" commercials, but since it's H&R Block and has that annoying little tax man, I figured it annoys me more than puzzles me.  The spot shows NBA player Anthony Davis, of the New Orleans Pelicans, walking down a road with annoying little tax man, saying "I didn't go to H&R Block last year, but this year, I can go to Block and pay half of what I paid my other guy..." the implied message being Davis is going to Block this year.  I read where he signed a 5-year contract extension with New Orleans last summer for $145 million.  Sorry, but I have a hard time believing a professional athlete who earns close to $30 million a year is having Block do his taxes - I imagine he has lawyers, accountants, and others taking care of that, which is why he never really says "Block is doing my taxes..."

• Love 4

I, too, am flummoxed at the "bathing children" excuse, when the would be thief is likely thinking, "Great, distracted, busy mom, man of the house too pitiful to answer the door when he knows mom is bathing children. Perfect!" All that info when a simple "Away with thee, ye rapscallion" would have done.

• Love 10

I, too, am flummoxed at the "bathing children" excuse, when the would be thief is likely thinking, "Great, distracted, busy mom, man of the house too pitiful to answer the door when he knows mom is bathing children. Perfect!" All that info when a simple "Away with thee, ye rapscallion" would have done.

I'm using that the next time the Mormons are at the door.  Or the people selling solar panels.

• Love 10

I think I'm more confused about who the hell the audience is supposed to be for such a commercial.

Its a commercial about rich people acting obnoxious using the Amazon product.  So who is supposed to want to purchase a product used by tools to order cashmere socks.  People who want to aspire to that lifestyle but can't afford cashmere socks?  Rich people who currently buy cashmere socks?  I just don't see how its supposed to really connect to normal people.  Like, they constantly show how the product is used, but its used to purchase products I wouldn't want to buy and it is shown in such opulent circumstances that I don't get it.

Even worse, the Amazon Echo was on an episode of "Keeping Up With Kardashians", talk about "rich people acting obnoxious using the Amazon product"

• Love 2
(edited)

Even worse, the Amazon Echo was on an episode of "Keeping Up With Kardashians", talk about "rich people acting obnoxious using the Amazon product "

Both statements are true, but when it comes to the Kardashians its important to note the base level of obnoxiousness.

Edited by RCharter
  • Love 4

Ah! The dangers of hi def television. I am getting a kick out of all the close ups of actors faces in commercials now. Even with make up you can see all the pimples red spots and other imperfections which really are perfections in their own way. Back to the commercial where I believe the tag line is. "Put a big bug in a child's hand and change their world." I always think and watch them crush it like the bug it is.

• Love 1

Actually, binge reading is already a thing.

I guess they're trying to sell it to all those young whippersnappers who only read things on their phones.  Or are they rapscallions?  I need to know what to yell when they get on my lawn.

(But yeah, binge reading is a way of life for me.)

• Love 10

I guess they're trying to sell it to all those young whippersnappers who only read things on their phones.  Or are they rapscallions?  I need to know what to yell when they get on my lawn.

(But yeah, binge reading is a way of life for me.)

Nah, rapscallions is for grown folks. "Crotchfruit" is for kids, "whippersnappers" is for teenagers, and "rapscallions" seems to be for men. I'm not sure if there's a term for women, one that's more flattering than Yogurt Bitch.

• Love 3

The spot shows NBA player Anthony Davis, of the New Orleans Pelicans, walking down a road with annoying little tax man, saying "I didn't go to H&R Block last year, but this year, I can go to Block and pay half of what I paid my other guy..." the implied message being Davis is going to Block this year.

To me, the obvious followup to what he says is something like "...but I don't because I'd be paying a lot more in taxes". The big-name tax filing chains have a reputation for being the most conservative in interpreting the regulations since they'd be a big target for the IRS.

• Love 3

I'm tempted to use "it is time to baste the children" and close the door cackling.

• Love 13
(edited)

A shady-looking guy shows up at this woman's door and claims to be doing "free housepainting estimates" and while sitting at a cafe far, far away, she prisses, "Not now; I'm bathing the children."

It'd have made more sense if she said "Not now; I'm bathing my pitbull and have to shampoo the doberman after that." Edited by theatremouse
  • Love 5

I think it's Dow Bathroom Cleaner. That may be the wrong product name, but it is made by Dow & it's the stuff they say has "scrubbing bubbles" in it. They're saying the mom (or, probably, the kid) can use it, when the hair coloring's done, to clean up any stains the purple hair dye might leave behind in the sink, on the counter, wherever, in the bathroom.

At the very least the Mom should have made HER clean up her mess in the bathroom!

• Love 4

And what's even worse to me, the giant centipede thingy.  I set new speed records racing for the remote whenever THAT comes on.  Gaaah, that commercial is the stuff of nightmares!

• Love 2

And what's even worse to me, the giant centipede thingy.  I set new speed records racing for the remote whenever THAT comes on.  Gaaah, that commercial is the stuff of nightmares!

What CHANNELS are you guys watching??

• Love 2

The product line is actually called "Scrubbing Bubbles" at this point, I believe.

That stuff if miraculous!

Followed by him flubbing the Pythagorean Theorem, if memory serves.

• Love 2

The same thing applies to health insurance.  There was a time when there were no such things as deductibles or co-pays.  You simply paid your monthly premium, and your insurance took care of the bills because that's what it's for.  You didn't have to shell out several thousand dollars out-of-pocket before the insurance would even kick in.  Such an idea would have been dismissed as outrageous because after all, what's the point of having insurance if you end up having to pay most of your costs out-of-pocket anyway?  Doesn't that defeat the purpose of even having insurance, be it health or auto insurance?

The deductibles came in with HMOs.  Before them, insurance would pay first, but it wouldn't cover everything.  The HMOs have a deductible, usually a small amount, and then they cover the rest of the cost.