Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

Personally I wouldn't take an infant on an airplane unless it was an absolute necessity, but if Felicity survived Duggar germs, she probably has a Teflon immune system. Jingle can't survive on her own for a few days? Why are they in Chicago?

• Love 8
13 minutes ago, MamaMax said:

Please please let them be going to the Field museum so Jeremy can show Jing some fossils. And other science. Please 

Unlikely, unfortunately.

As I understand it, Jer's big-time mentor John MacArthur and the educational institutions he runs, including Jer's seminary, are in pretty full-throated support of a somewhat convoluted version of biblical creationism that claims to reconcile some of evolutionary science with biblical literalism but actually rejects most of that science. They embrace mostly youngish-Earth creationists, producing their own explanations for why, yeah, there are fossils, but they aren't nearly as old as science says and didn't come about the way biologists say. Etc. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 5
Just now, Sew Sumi said:

Did Phil and Darlene also pay their airfare and hotel? 

Good question. The tickets are a generous gift, but unless you're a diehard Cubs fan and have always wanted to see them play at Wrigley, I can't imagine booking flights and hotels to go to a game. It wouldn't surprise me if the entire trip was a gift and Jeremy conveniently left that part out.

• Love 9
37 minutes ago, madpsych78 said:

Well shoot, I can't snark on them watching the Cubs. I'm from Chicago and was elated when the Cubs won the World Series two years ago!

I’m a Cleveland Indians fan and I was far from elated when we lost to you ... ??? Our turn now!

Edited by Westiepeach
  • Love 6

Or an A's fan with the lowest payroll in baseball, year-in and year-out. ?

I'm elated that they will play the Yankees for the right to play the Red Sox in the Playoffs. Alas, I fear their run in the Playoffs will be one and done. ?

• Love 2
4 hours ago, madpsych78 said:

Well shoot, I can't snark on them watching the Cubs. I'm from Chicago and was elated when the Cubs won the World Series two years ago!

I'm from Cleveland and wasn't nearly so thrilled.  Two of my sisters are going to a Cubs' game this weekend (one married a Cubs' fan, the traitor).  I'll have to tell them to look out for Vuolos.  From the photo, it appears someone gave them at least a couple of those stupid Aunt Jemima-esque baby hats.  I'd be pissed, too, if I had to go out in public looking like that.

3 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Try being a Mets fan ?

Sorry, we win (or lose).  It's now been 70 years since our last championship.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Did Phil and Darlene also pay their airfare and hotel? 

Who are Phil and Diane, and why are they giving lavish gifts?  Are they the ones that paid for the fancy resort trip, before the baby was born?

• Love 4

I was actually in Chicago this summer and my friend lived close-ish to Wrigley Field! We got to go see it, and eat near it, on game day. It was really fun!

that being said, am I the only one stabby about this? I worked so hard to be able to afford a trip to Chicago, where I had free lodging. Jeremy and Jinger don't appear to do much of anything (though I'm sure Jinger has her hands full with a baby now, but she had almost two years of not doing much before that). Maybe I'm stabby because the most entitled person I know, whose parents pay his way through life, went to see the Cubs yesterday. Maybe I am projecting. This dude is also a sanctimonious religious twit who is a "minister" like Jeremy (didn't graduate seminary) but left wing...basically exactly like Jeremy but left wing and just as smug that all of his beliefs are correct. Instead of a show, he has country club parents who bankroll his lifestyle. It would be hard to think of two other married men who do less to support their young wives yet are so sanctimonious, and they're both doing the same thing right now lol! Anyway, people are always giving him lavish "gifts" too...how do these people get all these things? If I were looking for a way to spend my hard earned money, Jeremy having a fun vacation would be the last thing I would spend it on (except mayyyybe if they gave the tickets ONLY as a baby gift). Literally anyone else needs a vacation more!

• Love 20
7 minutes ago, Zella said:

You're not the only one stabby about it. I don't begrudge people having vacations and having fun, even though I personally have not been on a vacation in several years (mainly due to not having jobs with paid time off and tight finances). But I do wonder why in the world the Vuolos get all of these free vacations. Didn't they also end up at some nice resort before the baby was due? Must be nice to get free trips thrown at you and to not have any work responsibilities that prevent you from going on them. 

Exactly!!! If they were spending all of their own money from the show, I would maybe side eye it a little, because that money won't last forever and they don't have jobs. I would be saving as much as I could for a rainy day in their shoes. However, it is totally ridiculous for people to give them these frequent vacations!!! Where do us normal people sign up to meet these "generous friends?" I would give Jana a vacation before these two, or even Joy and Austin! Do they get vacations given to them because of their slick image? Does Jeremy know millionaires? Even millionaires would be well advised to spend their money elsewhere, though. No way does Jeremy need a vacation in the slightest!

• Love 13
1 minute ago, Christina87 said:

Exactly!!! If they were spending all of their own money from the show, I would maybe side eye it a little, because that money won't last forever and they don't have jobs. I would be saving as much as I could for a rainy day in their shoes. However, it is totally ridiculous for people to give them these frequent vacations!!! Where do us normal people sign up to meet these "generous friends?" I would give Jana a vacation before these two, or even Joy and Austin! Do they get vacations given to them because of their slick image? Does Jeremy know millionaires? Even millionaires would be well advised to spend their money elsewhere, though. No way does Jeremy need a vacation in the slightest!

I agree 100%! 

• Love 5
15 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

Lissy doesn't have a father who champions women as equal members of the human race with him. He wants a little wifey, sans any actual power or autonomy, the same way JB does.

Jeremy's mother and sister have their own careers, so I don't think that Jeremy is expecting Lissy to spend her life as a broodmare for God. I do think he believes that I Corinthians 14:34, where Paul says that women are to be silent in church, means that women are not to become ordained ministers. 

I don't begrudge Jeremy & Jinger their trip to Chicago or any of their other trips. They obviously have generous friends in higher tax bracket than mine and a good income from TLC. While Jeremy surely gets a salary from his church, his real job these days is being a reality TV star with his wife. I don't get upset because the stars from The Big Bang Theory get more perks than I will ever get. The Duggar family may be D list celebrities, but they're still celebrities. Plus, if TLC filmed any of the trip to Chicago, then chances are their plane tickets and motel room were comped.

• Love 21
8 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Lol, Felicity looks pissed.

Of course she does. Her parents put her in a headdress that looks like something Bea Arthur would have worn in the Golden Girls and then took pictures that will be seen by thousands of people. 

• Love 13
6 hours ago, Spencer Hastings said:

Pretty much my face around Cubs fans.  Poor Felicity! 

I'm a rabid White Sox fan who has been married to a rabid Cub fan for 49 years.

Poor Felicity indeed. ?

PS  lots of other Chicagoland posters here, I see ?

• Love 5
4 hours ago, mynextmistake said:

Of course she does. Her parents put her in a headdress that looks like something Bea Arthur would have worn in the Golden Girls and then took pictures that will be seen by thousands of people. 

I see Nick Cannon. 

I hate her little turban thingies and worry that her hearing is being muffled. 

• Love 3

Jeremy and Jinger seem to get cut a ton of slack for doing the same stuff their siblings get trashed for. From what I can tell, Jeremy is barely at his church. They travel constantly and live off TLC money just like the rest of the clan does. I don't expect them to turn down a friend's gift, but it's still grating nonetheless. 

• Love 24
41 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Jeremy and Jinger seem to get cut a ton of slack for doing the same stuff their siblings get trashed for. From what I can tell, Jeremy is barely at his church. They travel constantly and live off TLC money just like the rest of the clan does. I don't expect them to turn down a friend's gift, but it's still grating nonetheless. 

Exactly. My fear is that one day, they will turn into the Chelsea Houska of the Duggar family, and no one will be allowed to say a word against them. Fingers crossed that will never happen! I'm just not impressed with them because they seem to be really idle while living an upscale lifestyle. For instance, Jessa and Bin don't do much either, but Jessa wears the same old navy swing dress that was $20 at most over and over again. Jinger and Jeremy are so slick with their appearances, you'd think he was a doctor or something, but he's a part-time pastor at best. He reminds me of an immature friend I used to have who required the best clothes and lifestyle, but refused to get a job. Lucky for him, his parents were rich. Nobody looked at him with admiration, though, because the upper-class thing seems silly when your immediate family has no job to back it up (or even something like an inheritance...not very relatable for a very young couple to start out at the top with one part time job between them).

It would be less grating to see someone on a scripted show (you know...an actual actor) go on vacation because 1) they have worked for their money by attending acting classes over the years, learning their lines, being on set all day every day when they don't necessarily feel like it, etc., and 2) they're building a future, and will get another's paying acting job after this one is over. To me, having a reality show is an awesome perk if you can get it, but it's not work in the sense that you only have to film occasionally, filming often involves you doing something really fun, and you can refuse to film basically whenever you're not feeling it. It also doesn't lead to much down the road unless you are at Kim K levels. If I were work-averse like the Duggars, I would save all I could, because unlike with actors, this cash cow will not come again once it's gone! The issue of people giving them expensive vacations grates me the most, though. I won't buy anything even if I can afford it if I think it's a bad bargain. They tried to hawk me a $2 bag at the Willis Tower, and I said no because I thought it was a rip-off...they're a business and should have free bags for their merchandise! Even if I would never miss the money, giving a vacation to someone whose life is a constant vacation from responsibility, AND who makes a good enough income from doing nothing to constantly wear Brooks Brothers, is something I would never consider. I'd give it to another friend who was struggling to pay the bills and never got a vacation out of their state. 

Edited by Christina87
  • Love 24

What kind of clothes the Duggars package themselves in is really noticeable because they've made such a big deal about it all these years. Now that there's new branches of families it's makes sense that we see different styles of dress.

We're also going to see different levels of Fundiness as well.

I find it hard to globally dislike all Fundies just because they believe differently than me. Just like any group of folks, some are assholes and some are pleasant. 

As far as I can see, Jeremy & Jinger are staying in their own lane, doing their own thing with like minded folks.

Until the Vuolos start posting hate, robocalling and trying to change laws, I say live and let live.

• Love 22
10 hours ago, mynextmistake said:

I was blaming the fashion on Phyllis Diller in my mind, :) but of course I think you've nailed it.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, lookeyloo said:

the thing is for me, no matter how pleasant someone of a different belief is, when they try to legislate their religious beliefs into laws the entire country has to follow, then they lose me.  Jim Bob tried to do this with his run for the legislature, and Smuggly was associated with an organization that tried to do it.  So even if they were packaged differently, they still lose me.

Jinger and Jeremy don't seem to be doing this though. They seem to be keeping their religious beliefs, just that, religious. And there's millions and millions of people in this country trying to legislate religious beliefs into laws, just under the guise of "values". 

• Love 7

I take more issue with the people giving way these free trips and the like. I certainly wouldn't turn down a no-strings-attached offer of a free vacation, but what the fuck is wrong with people just throwing money around on "friends" they barely know? 

2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

What kind of clothes the Duggars package themselves in is really noticeable because they've made such a big deal about it all these years. Now that there's new branches of families it's makes sense that we see different styles of dress.

We're also going to see different levels of Fundiness as well.

I find it hard to globally dislike all Fundies just because they believe differently than me. Just like any group of folks, some are assholes and some are pleasant. 

As far as I can see, Jeremy & Jinger are staying in their own lane, doing their own thing with like minded folks.

Until the Vuolos start posting hate, robocalling and trying to change laws, I say live and let live.

I once had a long, fun conversation with a random stranger while waiting for a flight. Such a pleasant person. The conversation ended when he let loose some racist bullshit about Latinxs not realizing I was Latinx.

I think it's essential to judge people by their beliefs instead of their demeanor, because those beliefs mean they they absolutely do try to legally force others to live a certain way.

• Love 16
1 minute ago, GeeGolly said:

I want everyone to believe women should make their own decisions regarding their bodies. I want everyone to believe that same sex marriage is great.

I have friends who are 'pro-life', I'm not. We sometimes vote differently and sometimes not. I'm not writing them off because we don't share the same belief. Their voting is as far as they go in trying to force others to live a certain way.

I have friends who are Catholic, yet aren't anti-choice or anti same sex marriage. Yet they're part of a group that includes many folks who are.

I'd hate to think that everyone who believes the opposite of me, hates me, because truly I'm really a pleasant and loving person. I'd also hate to think folks put me in a category because of my lifestyle and impose some judgement on me without knowing me at all. I choose to judge folks on their individual actions.

Voting counts as individual action to me, especially since certain current events that shall not be named. But bigotry has an actual effect on me rather than it just being a thought experiment, so I don't have the luxury of seeing the good in bigots.

• Love 15
4 hours ago, Christina87 said:

The issue of people giving them expensive vacations grates me the most, though. I won't buy anything even if I can afford it if I think it's a bad bargain. They tried to hawk me a $2 bag at the Willis Tower, and I said no because I thought it was a rip-off...they're a business and should have free bags for their merchandise! Even if I would never miss the money, giving a vacation to someone whose life is a constant vacation from responsibility, AND who makes a good enough income from doing nothing to constantly wear Brooks Brothers, is something I would never consider. I'd give it to another friend who was struggling to pay the bills and never got a vacation out of their state. 

The people giving them these gifts are probably making enough money that it's not that big of a deal to them. The couple who gave the Cubs ticket probably live in Chicago and the tickets were a semi-bribe to get them to bring the baby to Chicago so they could see her. 

When I give gifts, it's from my heart. If I had a close friend I wanted to see and the money to do so, I wouldn't decide not to gift them because they make enough money to pay for the trip themselves. Plus, all they gave Jeremy & Jinger were tickets to a Cubs game, not a trip to Chicago. In your analogy, it would be like giving a struggling friend a ticket to get into Disneyland (which are hella expensive) and expecting the friend to come up with the money to travel there and pay for a motel room while there. Not much of a gift if they can't use it.

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, lascuba said:

Voting counts as individual action to me, especially since certain current events that shall not be named. But bigotry has an actual effect on me rather than it just being a thought experiment, so I don't have the luxury of seeing the good in bigots.

Yes voting is an action, that's why I included it in my post. I vote in ways that will promote my beliefs. My 'pro-life' friends could see my votes as forcing them to live in a state or country that allows procedures they're vehemently against. They choose not to hate me because of my votes either.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 13
1 minute ago, Christina87 said:

I don't judge Jinger as much, because she seems genuinely like a nice girl to hang out with, and I think her upbringing has really influenced how she's turned out. However, I do give her side-eye because she is so passive aggressive, and I can't stand being around someone who always gets others to do their dirty work. She's also had a year to pursue some hobbies and interests, but she has none besides Jeremy. Again, part of that is how she was raised, but I think she blindly follows whatever he wants to do. 

She's also said in the past that she likes to bother people on airplanes about Jesus.

Jinger kinda sucks. 

3 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Yes voting is an action, that's why I included it in my post. I vote in ways that will promote my beliefs. My 'pro-life' friends could see my votes as forcing them to live in state or country that allows procedures they're vehemently against. They choose not to hate me because of my votes either.

An accurate analogy would be if you were voting to force them to have abortions against their will. But whatever, this isn't something that can be agreed upon so I'm dropping it. 

• Love 13